pixeltracker

The Woman in White - Love Thread!- Page 2

The Woman in White - Love Thread!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#25re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:13pm

BwayBaby- I haven't seen the show yet, so I couldn't tell you. However, I don't think that's so much of Angela "using" an accent when she sings, but that's just how she sings. Listen to her on Millie, and she's got the same accent, only not quite as heavy.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#26re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:16pm

I don't think it is that bad on Millie...but it is really thick in WIW so this question is opened to anyone who has seen Angela onstage in this show.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#27re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:19pm

BwayBaby: I really didn't notice a lot of accent when I saw the show, other than when she sang, "I've no home at all." I guess she really always does use it. I like the accent though. It fits her character well.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#28re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:26pm

I do think that Angela puts extra emphasis on the accent- it adds a certain quality to her character, and I think it definetely works- although I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to be. The "young girl" who cries about seeing a ghost uses a similar accent as well

and I do see how it might sound out of place on the recording, however, onstage it only adds to her character. She's really grasped that role, it's brilliant.

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]
Updated On: 1/6/06 at 10:26 PM

snookyookums
#29re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 1:32am

The accent is a Northern England accent. It fits her character. The villagers in Limmeridge use the same accent, but it is not as noticable in a group. Angela did not have it in Millie at all! She is American.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#30re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 1:41am

Never seen the show, but I love the London cast recording.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#31re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 1:56am

I saw it in London with all of the original cast---loved it---music, projections and all!

I would like to see in on Broadway, but....that might or might not work out.

jackson992
#32re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 2:27am

I have only heard the first music but I love it especially the ghost!

kec Profile Photo
kec
#33re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 4:56am

As a fan of period romance/mystery stories, the idea for this show intrigued me when I first heard about it. When I finally saw it the first time in March in London, I was immediately entranced by it. I loved the story AND the music. The latter haunted me for days -- still does. I had not read the book on which the show is based prior to seeing the show, but I did go out the day after seeing it the first time and bought the book. I found it very enjoyable, despite a few slow parts, and near the end I couldn't put it down.

I thought the London cast was superb. The NY cast is even more so. I like most of the changes that were made -- still not crazy about Fosco's knife and the final scene -- but overall I think it's a wonderful show.

Lori
#34re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 8:54am

I have loved this show, officially and unofficially, since first seeing it in London last spring. But I especially love this cast...they are first rate...led by Michael and Maria...two of the most talented performers to grace a Broadway stage!

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it LOL!

"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#35re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:19am

Is Maria Friedman still out? I'm seeing the show on the 22nd.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

YayJudyYayJudy
#36re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 9:58am

That's a Sunday? You should be fine. She's still missing the occassional matinee on two show days but she's pretty much back 100% now

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#37re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:44am

So she has returned to the show (I mean returned from the treatment she was getting in December)?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

YayJudyYayJudy
#38re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:47am

over the holiday week (with all those added performances) she was planning on doing all of them, however, I know she missed some. I think she's going on a week-by-week basis, depending on how she feels. But I'm pretty sure she's been on for the one-show days, like the Sunday you'd be going.

Judging by what you've read on the boards I'm sure you've realized that even if you get an understudy you will NOT be dissapointed- and you won't be. Enjoy!

Updated On: 1/7/06 at 10:47 AM

LittleAngelMaker Profile Photo
LittleAngelMaker
#39re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:55am

I've loved the show since I bought the CD of the London Cast when it came out. I've seen the Broadway version twice, and loved that too. My only regret is not seeing Michael Crawford as Count Fosco. Michael Ball is more than amazing though. Is he back at work yet? I know that he's been ill lately.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#40re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/7/06 at 11:15pm

Woman in White is without a doubt, ALW's most sophisticated show and score to date. Really thought the music is underappreciated, and grows with each listening.

Not to beat a dead horse -- still hoping for a new recording! C'mon... everyone of us who has heard Friedman's much more dramatic version of All for Laura would pay just for that alone!

Jim

jo
#41re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/8/06 at 1:37am

I'm still batting for a Broadway OCR, too!

You've got one of the best singing and acting casts on Broadway - and there's no record of the performance for posterity. That's a shame!

LilBwayLady Profile Photo
LilBwayLady
#42re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/8/06 at 3:37am

gosh im so sad i was suposed to see it in london last summer but it was the night of the morning london bombings so it was cancelled

"A new chance, one that maybe has a touch of romance" -Jekyll & Hyde

LilBwayLady Profile Photo
LilBwayLady
#43re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/8/06 at 3:41am

the whole city was depressed that day it was terrible

"A new chance, one that maybe has a touch of romance" -Jekyll & Hyde

sharon1
#44re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 1/8/06 at 8:05am

U'm with Jo on this one. I would love to have a OBC of this one.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#45re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 7:49pm

I'll bump this, for people who didn't get to express their love for it before it's tragic closing. Now they will have a chance to do so. re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

EganFan2
#46re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 8:51pm

I loved the score. I didn't see the show, but I did see clips. I wish I could've had the chance to go to London/NYC before it closed. The music is lovely, the story is dark and Gothic and haunting as well. It's not a traditional romance, that's for sure. The book's entertaining...though the secret is different. I like Wilkie's style, though, very much.

sharon1
#47re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 9:09pm

Have to agree with you

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#48re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 11:09pm

Love everything about it!

Especially Maria and Angela, my two favorite leading ladies!

All of Angela Christian's High Pitch scream sounding notes send shivers down my spine each time I listen to them.

I always anticipate the "If I tell the one I seek...I may save a life!" And I love Maria's Belting in All for Laura reprise!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#49re: The Woman in White - Love Thread!
Posted: 4/16/06 at 11:11pm

I love that show.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

Videos