pixeltracker

Your Favorite Musical Villains- Page 2

Your Favorite Musical Villains

jasobres
#25re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:37pm

Sweeney is not a villain. He's an anti-hero.

Plus Mrs. Lovett is just stupid. In other words, her "head's a lil' vague."

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#26re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:42pm

Sweeney commits horrendous crimes which makes him a "villain" --yes he is the protagonist and anti-hero of the show-- but that does not mean he is not a villain at heart. I mean, if you did a concert of musical theatres top bad guys..there is no way you could leave out Sweeney! If this was a concert of songs sung by the antagonists of musicals..then yes Sweeney would not qualify.

I see where you are coming from though and you do make a valid point :)

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man
Updated On: 3/27/06 at 03:42 PM

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#27re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 3:42pm

One could consider the phantom a villian, although I don't.

Hannigan from Annie is a good villain.

Javert is my favorite villain.

Would anyone consider the Witch from Into The Woods a villain?

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#28re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 4:08pm

John Simon

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#29re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 4:18pm

Jack Cassidy as Max Menken in "It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman", but that's probably too obscure. He had several good songs, one of which sounds pretty villainous.

JJPeachum2 Profile Photo
JJPeachum2
#30re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 4:24pm

I second Calvin's Carlotta/"This Place is Mine" vote. Who couldn't love this lyric: "Every small detail to supervise/Every pretty face to scru...u..u..u...u-/-tinize."

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#31re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 4:27pm

Excellent suggestion Scarywarhol "The woman for the man" is a fantastic song from "its a bird... Superman" and would make an excellent BACHELOR #3!!

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

Stewart
#32re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 4:37pm

If you're going to assign the role of villain in Sweeney Todd it would pretty much have to be the judge.

But to answer the original question, there aren't a lot of out-and-villains. Not the way there are in opera (How fast can your merry little band learn Italian, French, and German?).

Maybe, if you push it, Gaston and Scar.

After that, you're pretty much just looking at blocking characters. Like Ralf (but as far as "villainous" pieces go - Sixteen Going on Seventeen? Really?).

Fate is just an excuse used by men who have no destiny.

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#33re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 4:39pm

Gaston anyone? But my first response was Mordred...

I know he's not actually evil but his actions constitute villainous activity: Kodaly in She Loves Me with the whole affair thing etc...and he's quite manipulative of Ilona etc...but I guess not really a true villain....

Cheers,

Christopher

www.christopherviolett.com

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#34re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 4:49pm

Yes I was also just about to say that the Judge is the villain in Sweeney.

I would deffinetly include Mrs. Meers song in Millie, as well as "Another Pyramid" from Aida, and "Sensitivity" from Once Upon a Matress. Let us know how it turns out!

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#35re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:00pm

What about Ms. Hannigan from "Annie"
or The Cat from "Honk"
The Stepsisters from "Cinderella"

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#36re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:17pm

I'm loving these suggestions! There are several I hadn't really thought of, like Mordred and Letitia Primrose. Last year I put together a revue of pieces from the recent comedies (Producers, Urinetown, DRS, etc.). This revue is still 10 months away, so I have all the time in the world to put the pieces together in creative ways (like the Dating Game thing, which may or may not make the cut once I've collected more numbers).

I also thought I might have a "devil montage," with Mr. Applegate, the snake people in Children of Eden, the devil in Witches of Eastwick, etc. Any devils I might have missed?

Remember, this isn't a debate about villain vs. anti-hero, though those are all valid points. I'm looking for great numbers with about those dark and shady characters we love to hate and hate to love. And where those characters come in pairs and groups, that's even better. Thus Sweeney and Lovett singing A Little Priest is a shoo-in number.

Cell Block Tango, for example, is a dynamic showcase for half a dozen girls, as is Pursuit of Excellence, so I'm eager to use those types of songs. But when a character has a great solo, I want those too.

d5johnston Profile Photo
d5johnston
#37re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:21pm

Captain Jas Hook from Peter Pan
Miss Hannigan, Rooster, and Lily St. Regis from Annie
Gaston in Beauty and the Beast
Scar in the Lion King
Mrs. Nellie Lovett in Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
The Wolf in Into the Woods
Jigger Craigin in Carousel (does he have a song?)
Evillene in the Wiz

Read LETTERS TO A YOUNG ARTIST by Anna Deavere Smith!

BwayLeadman
#38re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:22pm

Ursula!

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#39re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:25pm

With the "devil" montage, maybe Potemkin's "Not My Problem" from Celebration would fit in. He's not the devil, but he's kind of a Puck-ish, devilish character.

MyMeredithMonster Profile Photo
MyMeredithMonster
#40re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:31pm

A lot of good ones have already been mentioned. Here's a couple more suggestions...
How about "Whatcha wanna do" by Rick and Shelly from Bat Boy? Or "Comfort and Joy" even? Maybe "Run Away!" from Spamalot.

"Yeah, Clarissa, explain it all."

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#41re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:37pm

Mrs. Lovett is stupid? She has the best vocabulary of anybody in the show. I always thought she was smarter than she was letting on.

Do Disney movies count? Lots of great villain songs there. Maybe "Poor Unfortunate Things"?

yr ronin,
joey

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#42re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:39pm

I agree. You've got to be crazy to think Mrs. Lovett is stupid. She might "speak" a little stupid, but her actions are very smart.

She is very conniving, and she knows exactly what she's doing. She just messed things up with Lucy, and what she told Sweeney about her.

Nellie Lovett is the Lady Macbeth of musical theatre.

Updated On: 3/27/06 at 05:39 PM

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#43re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:51pm

Javert! It's a little scary how many of us think alike on this damn thread. Every villian that popped into my mind has already been mentioned.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#44re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:51pm

I imagine we'll plunder some of the Disney catalog. I once burned myself a CD of Disney villains, from Cruella Devil to Ursula to Jafar. Lots of great, big characters there.

It's too bad Bud Frump doesn't have an out-and-out bad guy song. He's probably my favorite.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#45re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:56pm

I don't think anyone's mentioned Mr. Cladwell from Urinetown

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#46re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 5:59pm

Well if your going to get into Dinsey, you could dress someone u in a Zoot Suit and do The Oogie Boogie song from Nightmare Before Christmas in Big Band style. That would be very cool to see and still have its own little interperative spin on it.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"
Updated On: 3/27/06 at 05:59 PM

justagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
#47re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 6:06pm

Orin the Dentist from Little Shop of Horrors has "Dentist"...

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#48re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 6:10pm

Mrs Lovett is no villain she is just a good capitalist!

OF course Marx would say that all capitalists are villains re: Your Favorite Musical Villains

thevolleyballer
#49re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
Posted: 3/27/06 at 7:20pm

Mr. Schwarzandgrubenierre from Spelling Bee (Let's just let that dry...)
Mrs. Meers from Thoroughly Modern Millie
Any of the various men from Spamalot

Videos