pixeltracker

John Doyle to direct "BARNUM"- Page 2

John Doyle to direct "BARNUM"

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#25re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:44pm

NLS that may very well be the first thing you have EVER said that I agree with. I was gonna say in my initial post that I would love to see Tune helm the revival. Hell there was a point where I would have loved to see his take on the role, but now I would just settle for seeing him direct it.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

NathanLaneStalker
#26re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:48pm

I'd still like to see him take on the role and direct it! I think Doyle is going overboard with this. I mean

Sweeney
COmpany
The Rink
Barnum

and next thing we know it will be Gypsy!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#27re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:53pm

Don't forget MACK AND MABEL, which got mostly panned in the UK.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

NathanLaneStalker
#28re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:54pm

I forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Christoph
#29re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:56pm

This was tiresome with just the one production, now he is directing a slew of them. I don't see Barnum particularly lending itself to this formula. It is no secret why the backers love this directing style. They can cut back on the cast and then pay the actors one salary to double as the orchestra and the scenery movers. God help him if he decides to apply this approach to a production that previously had any conceivable show-stopping dance numbers. I can see the ungainly cast now in a kick-line across the stage while trying to balance all of their instruments on their heads and play them with their tongues.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#30re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:57pm

snore... unless it will make tickets cheaper...

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#31re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:59pm

And today, as we discuss this, all up and down Broadway, actors are signing up for tuba lessons.....

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 3:18pm

Actually, Mack and Mabel did receive a few glowing notices. A couple of my friends saw the production and loved it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#33re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 3:24pm

i love barnum...but not john doyle's idea... it just isn't meant to be together

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#34re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 3:26pm

Well as far as the actors go, at least with a Broadway contract, they ARE reimbursed for doubling as the orchestra.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#35re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 3:36pm

I loved SWEENEY and disliked COMPANY, but I think Doyles approach to BARNUM could work wonderfully if done with some flair.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#36re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 3:59pm

I'm glad all of you Right Coasters are tired of this concept and won't be filling up our streets and theaters during the run.

I'm looking forward to it and getting good seats for this show.

Thanks!
Updated On: 11/13/06 at 03:59 PM

Mattbrain
#37re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 4:10pm

I was sick of this when I heard he was doing Company.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

AugustBurns2 Profile Photo
AugustBurns2
#38re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 4:54pm

Plus, won't they have to find actors who can play instruments, sing (and dance), AND do circus acts (like juggling). Talk about about a real triple threat!

myspace.com/robinsparkles

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#39re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 5:51pm

What instrument will Tom Thumb play ?

I think the next natural progression would be the actors taking tickets & selling concessions before the show begins

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/13/06 at 05:51 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#40re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 6:36pm

I love his work and I can see how Barnum could work. However, I'd love to see a show of his without the actor-musician concept.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#41re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 6:44pm

Plus, won't they have to find actors who can play instruments, sing (and dance), AND do circus acts (like juggling).

The Playbill article says only some of the actors will play instruments, probably to eliminate that crossover. Maybe they'll have some people do one and some do the other.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

fengshuihellnyc
#42re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 6:45pm

I was tired of this from the beginning. I was so sick to my stomach when I saw the Raped version of Sweeney Todd. Discusting. Mr. Doyle borrowed the idea from others who have tried it before him and then tried to say the idea was his. Talk about a one song bird! LOL had to throw that in since every one was using the one trick pony thing. LOL

Lets just take all of broadway and turn actors into cut rate hack musician. ICH
Updated On: 11/13/06 at 06:45 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#43re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 6:49pm

Ugh. I loved Sweeney Todd, but this is just ridiculous. A show like that...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#44re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 6:51pm

Hate it all you want, but don't say he "stole" it. He didn't steal it, because he never claimed to have invented it or to owned it in the first place. He just took it to Broadway.

I think people who saw Sweeney Todd and have seen Company have to remember that Barnum being produced regionally -- it's not here, it's where people may not have gotten an opportunity to see his other two American productions. And out there, they WANT him to do it. So what if you're tired of it? Someone isn't. This is an opportunity for the West Coast to get a chance to see his work. If it bugs you, nobody's strapping you to a seat, and I don't really see it being a giant issue unless someone tries to take this one to Broadway too.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/13/06 at 06:51 PM

neddyfrank2
#45re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 7:26pm

YAY!

This made me day!

SweMozArt
#46re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 9:02pm

re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'

The modern world is all about specialization but it can be intriguing (if perhaps depressing) to see people utilize mutliple talents. It will be interesting to see whom they will cast as Jenny Lind. An Elena Roger strategy could be a clever financial move, granted they can find a multi-talented swedish chick (tough job)

Trivia about Jenny Lind, the Swedish "one-trick" nightingale:

Vocal range: B below middle C to high G,
First performance in the states: New York, september 11 1850
The danish writher HC-Anderson (little mermaid) was in love with her, but she only wanted his friendship.
The only female member in a classical German fraternity
Gave name to and was "model" for the figurehead of the american clipper ship "The nightingale". The figurehead was recently found in Sweden.
Featured on the swedish 50 kronor banknote

From Wikipedia

In 1850, Lind sailed to the United States and under the management of P.T. Barnum, went on a concert tour of a number of cities. Her first American performance was given in New York City on October 24, 1850. The tour was a great success, and it was then that she became known in the press as the "Swedish Nightingale". In Washington, DC during the 1850 tour she was the first performer in the newly renovated National Theater. The "New National Hall" was enlarged to seat 3,400 people for her arrival. The entire police force was called out to keep order in the crowd clamoring for tickets. Congress was adjourned and the Supreme Court Justices attended.

Hm.. that clip from wikipedia contradicts the date of her first concert. But i think the other sources i checked are more trustworthy, for instance the old "painting" shown above.

Updated On: 11/13/06 at 09:02 PM

ByMySide25
#47re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 10:23pm

Don't forget MACK AND MABEL, which got mostly panned in the UK.

Billy Elliot was praised by London critics and look at what a great show it is. =P

I saw Doyle's Mack & Mabel and LOVED it! I'm curious to see how his production of Barnum turns out. I agree that it lends itself to his style.

"Everybody has a different idea of love. One girl I know said, 'I knew he loved me when he didn't come in my mouth.'" ~ Andy Warhol

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#48re: John Doyle to direct 'BARNUM'
Posted: 11/13/06 at 10:31pm

This is a great idea! There is a band in the show who performs "Come Follow The Band." I also think it's great because the last time I went to the Ringling Brothers circus which was April, there was no band- the music was canned. I missed it!

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie

Videos