pixeltracker

Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*- Page 2

Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#25re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 3:30pm

On the "Jane Eyre" cast recording, Sweet Liberty, track 5, ends and if you have it loud enough, you hear people talking.

Not that I blast Jane Eyre or anything . . .

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

bwaybabe3
#26re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 3:41pm

anybody think cesoirees la (sorry that spelling is AWFUL) on the jersey boys soundtrack cuts of ridiculously abruptly?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#27re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:08pm

On the Jesus Christ Superstar London recording with Steve Balsamo "The Crusifixion" track also just cuts off abruptly at the end the second he says "my spirit...". I thought maybe it would be fixed on the remaster, but it's not. It's terrible I always skip over the track because of it.

Also on the 95 Company revival cast recording it lists a "Boby Baby Introduction" prior to "Marry Me a Little", but it's not there so the track list on the back of the CD is all inaccurate after that track. Updated On: 6/4/07 at 04:08 PM

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#28re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:53pm

In "the wizard and I", did anyone notice the weird noise running when Idina starts singing:"did that really just happen"*noise:dannhhggghh*. i dont know, but it is like that on mine, at least. and "cooties" from hairspray just sounds pretty sloppy and tired.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

yankee_fan907 Profile Photo
yankee_fan907
#29re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 5:22pm

Just listened for it, and I don't think that's a mistake. I'm pretty sure that's meant to be there...

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#30re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 6:13pm

I still cant get over Idina's honk in defying gravity, i always thought it was one of the horns being blown out of tune, but i was told it is one of Idina's "things"

Can we get more specifics on this? I've never noticed a honk, but I want to know when to listen out for it!

On at least one of Adam Pascal's albums, there are modem noises at the end of most - if not all - of the tracks, if you have it turned up enough. Ahhh, reminds me of the "good" ol' days of dial-up...

#31re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 6:35pm

"On the Jesus Christ Superstar London recording with Steve Balsamo "The Crusifixion" track also just cuts off abruptly at the end the second he says "my spirit...". I thought maybe it would be fixed on the remaster, but it's not. It's terrible I always skip over the track because of it.

"
Isn't that how it was on stage? I saw that production ages back (obviously) but I remember it being abrupt

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#32re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 6:54pm

ggersten - I have the exact same problem with Hard Knock Life and We'd Like to Thank You Herbert Hoover (the men sound so far away). I thought it was only my CD. Thanks!

#33re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 7:07pm

The Annie CD remasterign at least sound sbetter than the old 80s CD issue--i suspect the prob is inherent to the original recording

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#34re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 7:07pm

On the RAISIN original cast recording it sounds as if Virginia Capers went back in and recorded over her original take in "Measure the Mountains". You can hear her original vocals if you listen closely.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#35re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/4/07 at 10:42pm

I have the reissue. I don't know what's wrong with it. It really bothers me.

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#36re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/6/07 at 2:35am

I HATE the sound levels on the Beauty and the Beast OBCR. They fluctuate so much, I'm constantly adjusting the volume and it drives me crazy.

I've also always been driven crazy by the cutting of the Phantom complete OLC album. I hate how they have the organ cutting off the E from the title song...the album really would loose nothing by just ditching it and starting the "I have brought you" on the next track. The "morning after" organ music is on the same track as Music of the Night. Point of No Return is divided up because the Phantom's verse is on the Don Juan track, and the PONR track doesn't start till he does the chorus. Drives me up a damn wall.

#37re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/6/07 at 4:23am

Yeah the OBCR of Beauty has a few probs with levels etc. I found that true of some of the 80s ALW cast albums (80s CDs still hadn't mastered sound levels and I think liked to try to show off the dynamics of the disc) but the remasters are better

(Does no one else hear the echo in Mary Poppins? Or the pop at the opening of track 5 of the OBCR of Chicago? :P )

As for Phantom at least it's better than the infamous first pressing which had NO tracks--just one long track on each cd (the songs were divided by "indexing"--a sub track function on some high end CD players thatnever caught on cuz it was useless :P )

E

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#38re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:12am

I'm pretty sure that the remastered Phantom OLC remedies most of the problems from the previous pressing, but haven't bothered to listen closely enough to be absolutely sure... re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#39re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:15am

I just bought Curtains and there's some warping (is that the word? Well, that that's the sound it makes *warp*) on it. I'm not one to be bothered by little flaws, but this did.

Anyone else experience that? I bought it on iTunes.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#40re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:47am

On my RENT obcr, it gets really "tinny" on "You'll See Boys" and never really recovers fully, at least until disc 2. Of course by then I could be so used to it I don't notice. At first I had it on cassette tape and thought it was something I'd done weird sound-wise, or the tape was getting old. But then I got it on CD and it does the same thing. Very annoying.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#41re: Technical Flaws in Cast Albums *complaint thread*
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:41am

I was once listening to Thoroughly Modern Millie on my friend's computer where there was a piano ditty and a quacking sound at the beginning of Gimme Gimme that lasted 3 seconds. I got my own copy about a year later and it didn't have this weird opening.

There was a part on my 42nd Street revival cast album that sounded slowed down and choppy for about 2 seconds, but it might have been because the surface of the cd looked warped. Kind of sucks, since it was new (well, I did buy it off Ebay, so it might have been a used copy that was re-shrinkwrapped).

During the first minute of Mother Darling on the Grey Gardens Broadway recording, Christine's voice seems small and distant compared to Erin's.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"
Updated On: 6/6/07 at 08:41 AM

white guy Profile Photo
white guy
#42re: Technical Flaws 110 in shade
Posted: 6/6/07 at 9:03am

i just noticed one sloopy mistake by the studio in the new 110 recording yesterday.

in "lizzie's comin' home"

around 2:58 you hear, john cullum start to say "Lizzie"-

he says "Liz- got to get hoppin"

ah well. this was a mistake by cullum, but the engineer of the cd should have heard this. i did on the first listening.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#43re: Technical Flaws 110 in shade
Posted: 6/6/07 at 10:44am

Morosco, the same thing happens on the OBCR of The Producers - during "Along Came Bialy," Nathan sings "So romantic / They were frantic" and you can clearly hear his original vocals from before he went in and rerecorded.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#44re: Technical Flaws 110 in shade
Posted: 6/6/07 at 11:47am

On the original recording of the London cast of Godspell, there is a line flub and noone bothered to fix it.

When Julie Covington is going through the last verse of "Day By Day," at the part where she sings "To see thee more clearly, love the more dearly," over and over again, she actually says "To see the more clearly" twice the last time around, so what you get is
Day by Day
Day by Day
O, dear Lord, three things I pray,
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
To see thee more clearly
"SEE THEE MORE CLEARLY"
I love thee more nearly, Day by Day....

I'm surprised it wasn't caught and moreso that it wasn't fixed.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#45re: Technical Flaws 110 in shade
Posted: 6/6/07 at 12:44pm

I hate how, in general, on Cast Recordings the sound levels are so low.

When I listen to my iPod in my car, on a lot of CRs I have to put it all the way up to full volume. And then, if the song is on a playlist with songs from regular albums (not showtunes), the song will come up full blast and, since the levels are so much higher for CDs that aren't CRs, it pretty much bursts your eardrums.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#46re: Technical Flaws
Posted: 6/6/07 at 1:44pm

On the original concept recording of "Tell Me On A Sunday" with Marti Webb, there's this crackle/glitch at the very beginning of the "Take That Look Off Your Face" Reprise. It's probably from when they converted it, but it drives me nuts because the intro to that track is my favorite moment on the whole CD. It'll be forever "flawed" by that glitch.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#47re: Technical Flaws
Posted: 6/6/07 at 1:56pm

Princeton ~ the final line is actually "Follow thee more nearly day by day." Just FYI.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

missyrose87
#48re: Technical Flaws
Posted: 6/6/07 at 2:02pm

I didnt read through all the posts, but did anyone mention the phone ringing in the background of Popular?

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#49re: Technical Flaws
Posted: 6/6/07 at 2:10pm

Not in this thread, but it has been covered at EXTREME length before, and I think we all pretty much concluded it was just an unfortunate-sounding bit of percussion.

Videos