pixeltracker

The Worst Theatre in the US- Page 2

The Worst Theatre in the US

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#25re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 11:31am

The Auditorium Theater in Chicago is beautiful!
Great to see a concert or dance... but the balcony/Mezz is SO far away from the stage! Not good for theater... but... they don't really run much theater there since it was taken over by Roosevelt.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

cubanito2 Profile Photo
cubanito2
#26re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 1:25pm

As far as South Florida goes, the Broward Center really isn't that bad. It's WAY superior to the Carnival Center in Miami, IMO. The Carnival Center looks like an office building or a mall from the outside. Every show I've seen at the Broward Center has just been a better theatre going-experience than at the Carnival Center.

dburns08
#27re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:00pm

Last year I saw the Chicago production of 'Light in the Piazza' at the Auditorium Theatre. Not only was any sense of intimacy lost from the production, but the acoustics were simply awful. This theatre should be used only as a concert or pageant hall and not as a venue for musicals or touring productions.

As for South Florida, I prefer the Carnival Center in Miami over the Broward Center in Fort Lauderdale. The Broward Center's decor in the upper regions of the actual theatre (with lattice-work lining a portion of the roof) resembles a barn-like environment). Also, the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach is equally as beautiful as the Carnival Center as far as interiors go, but the exterior is the most beautiful I think I have ever seen.
Updated On: 8/3/08 at 02:00 PM

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#28re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:32pm

Definitely Wolf Trap's Filene Center. Horrible acoustics, really long rows.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#29re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 2:42pm

Our two huge touring houses in Seattle are both beautiful, but lacking in view and sound quality. Both are longer than they are wide, both are converted movie houses (again, gorgeous, just alienating to sit in), thus providing an awful view anywhere beyond the first 10-15 rows.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

tourboi
#30re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 3:00pm

The absolute WORST THEATER in the country for tours is the Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, CT. I don't even think they book shows anymore. My god is it terrible. HUGE and feels like an arena or convention center. And the worst accustics in the world.

musicandtemiror
#31re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 3:11pm

Not the worst but The Academy of Music in Philly...depending on where you sit its great and horrible.

re: The Worst Theatre in the US

I sat 5th row in orchestra for Wicked there and it was an amazing experience. Now on the other hand I saw the Lion King on the VERY side of the balcony and couldn't see a thing. Half of the stage was hidden. And not to mention my Hairspray experience when I was stuck behind a pole and was constantly moving from one side of my chair to another.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#32re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 3:14pm

I agree with the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago. Simply HORRIBLE for musicals. I once bought a seat in the balcony, and a huge pole was in front of me. If I just sat normally, I'd be staring at a beige pole for 2 and half hours with no view of the stage whatsoever (thank goodness I was able to change seats). For people that have never been to this theatre, it'd ALMOST be like watching a Broadway musical in Radio City Music Hall.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
Updated On: 8/3/08 at 03:14 PM

tourboi
#33re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 3:32pm

The Academy in Philly is stunning, with a spacious (and gorgeous) lobby. Sitting in the orchestra is great. Sitting in any of the balconies is tragic.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#34re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 3:38pm

I've always sat in the balcony at the Academy of Music, and it's fine as long as you are in or near the center. If not, you won't be able to see a thing.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#35re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 3:39pm

I was going to say the Opera House of the Kennedy Center as well. Orchestra was fine, if large, but when you get up to the second tier, it's awful. My seat was on eye-level with the chandelier. When I craned my neck to see down, I had a better view of the orchestra pit than the stage.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 8/3/08 at 03:39 PM

showprince2
#36re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 4:06pm

I couldn't agree more! I go to the Ahmanson whenever possible

Would you be interested in the following or know someone who wold be?

am looking for someone who would be interested in taking my entire 40 year old theatre collection. I literally have thousands and thousands of items. They are in various conditions. Some items are quite old and valuable.

I am looking for someone who will enjoy these items as much as I have. Please let me know a little about yourself. I want a theatre collector, not someone who is interested in resale value.

I am not interesting in partial giveaways or shipping – you must take ALL items. They must be picked up in San Diego (North County) as soon as possible.

Collection Includes:

Sondheim Review – just about all issues
Theatre Week/In Theatre magazine – 100s of issues
Playbills – many many, an entire box – some highly collectible
Souvenir programs
Theatre books
Tony Awards – VHS
Theatre related VHS tapes
OC Cassettes
Theatre crafts
Original cast LPs

Also
Many boxed opera LPs
Time Warner Classical music boxed LP sets – a beautiful collection

If you are interested respond to
Showprince44@yahoo.com

Please put “collection” in email subject

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#37re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 4:59pm

The Academy really is the worst I've ever been in, especially balcony wise! Don't even talk about how they'll sell you a "partial-view" seat when sitting NOT DIRECTLY behind a pole, but somewhat split between the two 3/4ish.

I don't remember why they decided to switch over to that full-time now, why not use the Forrest (ACL is going there...don't think I've seen anything there since Phantom 2 years ago!)....it's beautiful, and the way upper balcony is reallllllly bad, but its better than a lot of the seats in the Academy! (The Forrest is above!) The Walnut is another one of those entirely bland theatres. Nothing spectacular about it at all...it's too bad they can't move into the Forrest!

tourboi
#38re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 5:10pm

The problem with the Forrest is logistics.

It's incredibly time consuming to load-in a show there because the dock is actually on a side of the stage adjacent to the neighboring hospital/clinic. You have to back the trucks up INTO the hospital garage! THEN the dressing rooms are IN ANOTHER BUILDING that one must either cross through the alley, or go through an underground staircase to get to.

Because of the difficulty loading in/out of the Forrest, most shows need to run at least a month there, and the Philly market (with a few "Big Show" exceptions) usually can only house a tour for 2 weeks or so.

It's unfortunate because the Forrest is a GORGEOUS venue! I had a great time at that theatre for 2 or 3 months back in '03.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#39re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 5:35pm

The Keller Auditorium in Portland, OR is pretty terrible too. Most shows get lost in it because it's so huge (2,992 seats). Even big shows like Wicked and Phantom can seem smaller because of how wide the theater is. And if you're not sitting in the first 10 rows in the 3 center sections, you feel like you're miles away.

This is the view from the stage:

And the view from the front of the first balcony:

There have also been a few times they've booked shows into the Schnitzer which, while also seating close to 3,000 at least has some character.

I don't know why for smaller shows like Avenue Q, Spelling Bee, Sweeney Todd, etc., they can't book them in the Newmark which is not only much nicer aesthetically speaking, but is much more appropriate for shows that size.

tourboi
#40re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 5:41pm

Is the Newmark owned by the company that books the tours into Portland?

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#41re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 5:43pm

[IMG]re: The Worst Theatre in the US

Definitely far from the worst, but Whitney Hall at the Kentucky Center for the Arts is so boring! And orange! It's where I see most of the touring shows that I've seen and I can only afford to sit in the balcony most of the time (unless the tickets are a gift, then they're usually better).

I definitely have to use binoculars to really get into the show because from the balcony you can't see a single facial expression!

I've only been able to sit on the floor for a couple of shows there and it's been great, but man, the balcony sucks. I feel like I'm 1000 miles from the stage.

It also has that problem of no aisles down the middle sections so you have to walk across about 100 people to get to the middle.

Now, the Louisville Palace on the other hand has great seating, plus the advantage of having many aisles. Unfortunately, it rarely houses the touring shows. The only shows I can remember being there recently were RENT last year and Avenue Q this year.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#42re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 5:45pm

Yes it is, TourBoi. They own the Keller, Schnitzer, Newmark, a small 200-seat theater and a block-box theater.

musicandtemiror
#43re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 5:45pm

I saw Avenue Q at the Forrest and loved it
I had PERFECT seats
Front row in the Mezz

SporkGoddess
#44re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 6:04pm

Odd, I saw Piazza at the Auditorium and loved it. We had fantastic orchestra seats, though.

I have no complaints about the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center where I live. However, the Oshkosh Opera House is a GORGEOUS theatre with one problem: it's too small for most touring operas and musicals! Now they mostly show musical movies there.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 8/3/08 at 06:04 PM

tourboi
#45re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 6:45pm

The Fox Cities Perf. Arts Center is FANTASTIC. Appleton has a real treasure in it.

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#46re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 7:26pm

any on that iloveflops is sitting in.

DefyGravity777
#47re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/3/08 at 11:36pm

Good Lord the Broward Center looks like a baseball stadium.

Tarrytown,NY Town Hall is not the worst theatre by any stretch of the imagination. It's very beautiful and very old but very uncomfortable. It was built in the late 1800's or early 1900's I believe and I think the seats were from that time also. I could barely fit onto mine and my knees were hitting the person in front of me in the head.

I think they just do concerts there now.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!
Updated On: 8/3/08 at 11:36 PM

25th Annual Speller Profile Photo
25th Annual Speller
#48re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/4/08 at 12:38am

There is a horrible theatre in San Antonio... I think it was called the majestic.

"I've had a lot of failed relationships, I don't get involved because I'm not equipped. I believe that the world should revolve around me"

16andschizo Profile Photo
16andschizo
#49re: The Worst Theatre in the US
Posted: 8/4/08 at 12:46am

in south florida, i definitely like the kravis better than broward.

I'd post a picture if i could figure out how to do that...

Videos