pixeltracker

"I'm Paul" - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies- Page 2

"I'm Paul" - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies

Stanley3 Profile Photo
Stanley3
#25re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 3:33pm

During 'All I Need Is The Girl' on the Tyne Daly recording of Gypsy (I'm pretty sure it's that one) you can hear someone in the background coughing. It happens more than once.

I've seen this one mentioned before in similar threads, but it always makes me laugh. On the OBCR of 'Annie' during 'I Don't Need Anything But You' - Daddy Warbucks comes in singing with Annie, when he's not supposed to. They fixed it on the re-mastered version, but it's clear as a bell on the original.

NakedMaid Profile Photo
NakedMaid
#26re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/19/08 at 9:54pm

OCR Lil Abner
Song: Put 'Em Back
Line: Some one sings "Put" during one of the rounds "Put Em Back, The way they was"
Pretty Funny

Also just a funny moment not a mistake
OCR Follies
Song: You're Gonna Love Tomorrow/What ever
Line: "Leave A Light on the Porch"

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#27re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:21pm

On the Spring Awakening cast recording, it's incredible just how much saliva and lip-smacking you can hear... most from Jonathan Groff (often before he opens his mouth to sing); and from Christine Estabrook while she is speaking during "And Then There Were None." It's gotten to the point where that's all I can hear.

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#28re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:33pm

I believe on the older pressings of the Original Broadway Cast Recording of 'Gypsy' you could hear a drumstick fall during the Overture. I'm not sure if it's been corrected on the newest release, but I believe it can be heard on the older pressings.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

BNN
#29re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:35pm

Things yelled out during the Company 2006 Cast Recording during What We Do Without You? :
- Happy Birthday Bobby!
- Oh, help yourself!
- No really, help yourself!
- I'm not getting married! / Oh yes you are!
- Is it raining? / It's raining! / That's rain!
- I don't think you yelled that right. (said by Joanne)

Yelled out during You Could Drive A Person Crazy:
- You small-dicked (something)-faced Momma's Boy, you're not even good at giving head
- You flabby, clumsy goddamned cockroach
- Bastard

You Could Drive A Person Crazy seems to get more profanity as it ages.

Tick Tock

love you forever Profile Photo
love you forever
#30re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:45pm

There's a point toward the end of my strongest suit reprise where you hear heather headly say something. I can never quite make out what it is. It's right after 1 of sherie's solos. & on songs for a new world during I'm not afraid, I swear I can hear the tiniest little crack on bless of blessing. & during all hail the brain in 13 you can hear Eric's voice give out when he says brain right after terminal illness is over.

Electricity sparks inside of me. And I'm free, I'm free! - Billy Elliot the Musical

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#31re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/19/08 at 10:55pm

well, ACL OBC: "I Can Do That"; how Mike doesn't actually wear tap shoes in the show for his number. I always found that bizarre.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#32re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/19/08 at 11:00pm

I don't know if this is me, but I can SWEAR that SRS in the Aida OBC / Step Too Far, sings "I'm afraid SHE doesn't show me..."

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#33re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/20/08 at 12:41am

On the OBCR for The Pajama Game, Stanley Prager seems to run out of breath in "Seven-and-a-Half Cents" on the line, "That's enough for me to get an automatic washing machine/A year's supply of gasoline..." He barely squeaks out the word 'gasoline'.

This was different take used for BOTH CD editions. On the original LP he got through the line just fine. Also on the alternate the girls sing the next line "A vacuum instead of that blasted broom" an octive lower. On the original LP edition they sang it high.

Also on the CD of MISS LIBERTY thare are seveal alternate takes and the singer singing "The Most expensive Statue in the World" is very hoarse and losing his voice. The take used on the original 78 RPM and LP releases did not have that at all. Making me wonder why they used these different takes for the CD.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

fetzles1490
#34re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/20/08 at 1:10am

The musical intros to Good Morning Baltimore and Billy Joel's Say Goodbye To Hollywoods are almost identical. The Billy Joel song came onto my iTunes on shuffle once and I started to sing along thinking it was Good Morning Baltimore.

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#35re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 10/20/08 at 1:24am

Maybe it's just me, but in the OBC recording of Two Gentlemen of Verona, during the song Follow the Rainbow, it sounds like Raul Julia accidentally starts to sing the wrong line with "How can we ever be lost?" and he was rather sloppily edited out just after he started the note. It drives me crazy every time I hear it.

I know you wrote this back in August but ARGH this is so irksome! You'd think they'd edit that out in the remaster.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

PiraguaGuy2
#36re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/10/08 at 7:09pm

At around 1:52 in "Any Moment" on the Into the Woods revival recording, Edelman goes "Any moment is a-f-moment, when you're in the woods..." Not really sure what he thought he was going to say there.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#37re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/10/08 at 7:47pm

"****SPOILER****

"Suffocate Them" was probably a moment in the show that ended up being cut from the album, as Aida and Radames die by being entombed and suffocated at the end of the show. "

Thank You DivaRobbie2, I was waiting for someone to say this. I haven't seen the show for a long time, but I was thinking exactly what you said.

bwaymizfit2
#38re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/10/08 at 8:51pm

A lot of mine have been said, but more on the line of coincidences...

The final notes of "Bride's Lament" from the Drowsy Chaperone and "Gimme, Gimme" from Thoroughly Modern Millie--both are sustained high Cs sung on the word LOVE, and sung on both recordings by Sutton Foster...

I can tell the two apart because the orchestration is slighly different, but they're similar enough that it would be easy to confuse.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#39re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/10/08 at 11:02pm

There are so many little things on the Producers OBCR

-The "weee" before the whistle section of I Wanna Be A Producer
-Two vocal tracks of Nathan Lane overlapping at the beginning of Along Came Bialy
-Mel Brooks saying "That was funny" at the very end of In Old Bavaria

and fetzles, if you're talking about the drum intro to those songs, they sound the same because they're referencing the opening of The Ronette's Be My Baby, probably the most recognizable and recreated drum beat/intro in pop history.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Jack King
#40re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/10/08 at 11:13pm

Someone said "Ben Bagley." There are many good-spirited fluffs on his recordings of obscure, but wonderful show songs. They may very well have been put in intentionally.

#41re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/11/08 at 4:38am

The bridge of Telephone Song on Cabaret's OBCR always reminds me of the Rich and Happy vamp on the OBCR of Merrily We Roll Along.

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#42re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/11/08 at 9:26am

On the "FAME" tour CD (with Gavin Creel) at the end of the Finale/Fame Reprise you can hear someone shout "YES!" after the music ends. (Most likely Natasha Rennalls who was playing Carmen)

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#43re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/11/08 at 9:46am

I'm not a Wicked freak, but on "Popular" it always sounds to me like a cell phone is ringing somewhere around "personality dialysis"

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Mattbrain
#44re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/11/08 at 12:53pm

"Mel Brooks saying "That was funny" at the very end of In Old Bavaria"

I NEVER noticed that before. I had to turn my iPod up full blast in order to hear it.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#45re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 12/11/08 at 1:10pm

"****SPOILER****

"Suffocate Them" was probably a moment in the show that ended up being cut from the album, as Aida and Radames die by being entombed and suffocated at the end of the show. "

Thank You DivaRobbie2, I was waiting for someone to say this. I haven't seen the show for a long time, but I was thinking exactly what you said.

Seriously? Think about it. Putting aside the fact that Radames and Aida were eventually buried alive and left to die (by suffocation), in what logical context would someone whisper "suffocate them" at the end of this song? It's a song about building a tomb for a dying Pharaoh (who was being poisoned). While Radames and Aida had met at this point, they hadn't bonded, or given anyone reason to think "hey, eventually, we're going to have to brick those two up".

There's definitely something there, but all I can hear is the "suffocate", and even that's not particularly crisply enunciated. I'm with whoever suggested you're reading too much into this. It's a random whispery noise, but it's not "suffocate them", it's not a plot point, it's not a spooky secret, it's just an album idiosyncrasy.

Videos