pixeltracker

"I'm Paul" - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies

"I'm Paul" - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#1"I'm Paul" - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 8:55pm

Gonna see if this thread will actually fly... Even though I know there are lots of littler threads on the subject...

CONTRIBUTE!!!

LIST OF FUNNY, ODD, IDIOSYNCRATIC THINGS TO LISTEN FOR ON CAST ALBUMS

Some of my personal favorites:

"I'm Paul"
Compare 0:16sec on "Life Support" on RENT OBC to 0:29sec on "Stay In My Life" on BRIGHT LIGHTS BIG CITY

"Suffocate Them"
Unexplained small whisper utterance at the end of "Another Pyramid" on AIDA

"A Weekend in the Country" of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC features several audible page-turns of the music on the musician's stands (the first is assumed to be the handling of the invitation)

The vamp in "Manchester England" of HAIR sounds remarkably similar to the vamp in the "Sesame Street" theme-song

Updated On: 8/28/08 at 08:55 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 9:53pm

LOL.

I don't know how far you'll get, but this thread is cracking me up already!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:09pm

During "I Wanna Be a Producer" from the Producers, when the chorus girls begin to whistle, you hear something that sounds like "Wheee!" because I think one of the girls was ready to sing "He wants to be..."

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#3re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:19pm

The Les Miz CSR, during the Thenardier Waltz...when he says "beyond rubies is our little girl," something bizarre happens on the second syllable of rubies that makes it sound like he's doing the "gone crazy" sound by rubbing his fingers over his lips.

On the London Fiddler, after the mothers do their part in Tradition, Miriam Karlin (I think it's her, as she's about the only one singing it down the octave) comes in a bar early on "The mommas" line.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#4re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:44pm

Somewhere on the Miss Saigon Complete...Recording I believe, an instrument goes haywire during some song I can't remember.

Sorry to not be more specific. I'll try to remember where it is.

And there's a part also on Aida OCR where Pascal's voice just about blows out the mic. "A woman who I've hardly known at all, and will forgETETETETETET."

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:01pm

On the OBCR of HELLO, DOLLY!, during Put On Your Sunday Clothes, Carol Channing comes in a bar too early with her line "Ermengarde shtop shnivveling..." and you hear her say, "Ermen--" and she catches herself.

She then comes in at the correct time with the whole line.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

thevolleyballer
#6re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:02pm

There's that little drip during "Wonderful" in WICKED.

Bitches insist, "Oh, it's just when the wizard does a quick tap." And countless times I've seen this show and rarely does the wizard even MOVE during that moment. It leaves me wondering what the hell that damn little water drop is.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#7re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:05pm

"Suffocate Them"
Unexplained small whisper utterance at the end of "Another Pyramid" on AIDA

Like the word "SEX" against the sky in THE LION KING? Or the priest's erection in THE LITTLE MERMAID? Or the "Good teenagers, take off your clothes" line in ALADDIN?

Seriously, either Disney needs to get its house in order, or...

(and yes, I know those three examples were just out-of-control rumors, like the hanged Munchkin of the forest in WIZARD OF OZ)

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#8re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:07pm

Anyway, back to the topic...

On the COMPANY 2006 Recording ("Sorry/Grateful"), right after Bobby says "You ever sorry you got married?", you can hear a music stand/chair squeak. Very noticeable, and very irritating.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

commasplice
#9re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:11pm

Too tired to think up my own at the moment as my head is full of dense academic reading, but I had these threads in my bookmarks, so I'll contribute them to this post, heh.

Vocal flubs - https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=889111&boardid=1

Technical flaws - https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=937164&boardid=1

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:12pm

On the Les Miz 10th Anniversary recording (and DVD), one of the balloons pops during Castle on a Cloud.

On the DVD, you can see the poor girl jump in fright, then bravely carry on.

BDrischBDemented
#11re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:24pm

In "Put 'Em Back" on the OBCR of "Li'l Abner", one of the wives comes in early and catches herself.

And I thought I was the only one who ever heard the "I'm Paul" similarities!

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

husk_charmer
#12re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:29pm

During "Music and the Mirror" on the ACL OBCR, you can hear page turning if your volume is up high enough...and I think you even hear some stuff fall.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Mekroth
#13re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:37pm

For the original recording of Anyone Can Whislte: in "Me and My town" during the "Do-do-do-wa-do-wa" part, you can hear one of the guys, start a "Do-" after the cutoff.
Something similar happens during "Simple" as well.

husk_charmer
#14re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:40pm

On the studio cast of "Bare" when Sr. Chantelle is assigning parts in 'Romeo & Juliet' she doesn't mention Peter.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#15re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:55pm

I am pretty sure the entire cast recording for "The Pirate Queen" was a mistake.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#16re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 12:29am

Spring Awakening OBCR - During The Bitch of Living, when Moritz sings "just gettin' outta bed" you can hear John Gallagher Jr. blow a raspberry right before he says "bed."

Wicked OBCR - Defying Gravity - A very noticeable gasp right after "everyone deserves the chance to fly." I got the album before I knew about Idina's gasping problem, and for the longest time I actually thought it was Glinda gasping because Elphaba was flying.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#17re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 4:00am

On the Philharmonic Sweeney Todd -- there's a bunch of page-turning during Davis Gaines singing 'Johanna'. I can't remember if it's the Act 1 Anthony solo, or his intro to Todd's Act 2 Johanna.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#18re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 7:22am

Something I've noticed. The opening "bing!" of 'Run, Freedom, Run' from URINETOWN is almost identical to the opening "bing!" of 'Purpose' from AVENUE Q. Most songs I have on my iPod, I can tell what they are from the opening notes. With these two, I have to wait for the second notes. re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#19re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 8:04am

On the OBCR for The Pajama Game, Stanley Prager seems to run out of breath in "Seven-and-a-Half Cents" on the line, "That's enough for me to get an automatic washing machine/A year's supply of gasoline..." He barely squeaks out the word 'gasoline'.

Noelle Adam sort of adorably cracks on one of her notes in the first chorus of "La La La" in No Strings.

On Ben Bagley's Contemporary Broadway album, Jan Neuberger and Susan Stroman sing "Loopin' the Loop," cut from Chicago. At the end of the number, one of them says quietly, but enthusiastically, "THAT was good."

This one is quite well known, but still worth mentioning. On the House of Flowers recording, after a long day of recording, Diahann Carroll couldn't get out one of her final notes in "I Never Has Seen Snow" on the line, "LIKE my love is". Composer Harold Arlen sings the word "like" for her.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 8/29/08 at 08:04 AM

divarobbie2 Profile Photo
divarobbie2
#20re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 8:49am

****SPOILER****

"Suffocate Them" was probably a moment in the show that ended up being cut from the album, as Aida and Radames die by being entombed and suffocated at the end of the show.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 10:13am

Maybe it's just me, but in the OBC recording of Two Gentlemen of Verona, during the song Follow the Rainbow, it sounds like Raul Julia accidentally starts to sing the wrong line with "How can we ever be lost?" and he was rather sloppily edited out just after he started the note. It drives me crazy every time I hear it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#22re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 1:49pm

110 IN THE SHADE Roundabout Revival Cast

During "Lizzy's Coming Home" John Cullum and his rambunctious sons are hurrying around the house to tidy-up, and John just gets so roused-up he sort of blahblahs through the final chorus during "Got to get hoppin'/No time for stoppin'"

Jon
#23re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 2:14pm

Not a mistake, but definitely an idiosyncracy:

The totally bogus sound effect of the barber chair/trap door on the Sweeney Todd OBC - the clanking metal, the sliding body, the thud - all sounds never actaully heard in performance.

BNN
#24re: 'I'm Paul' - The Official Thread of Cast Album Idiosyncracies
Posted: 8/29/08 at 2:14pm

OBC A Chorus Line: Just as One: Reprise/Finale starts, I swear there are people whispering, and it sounds like someone is saying "Switch with me."

Revival H2$: Right before the title number starts you can hear the tail end of someone shouting.

Both of these drive me crazy.

Tick Tock

Videos