pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 20

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#475SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 1:38am

I saw that Watermill revival when it moved to the West End, and it was the first time I encountered the musical version of the film. I thought it worked as well as the material possibly could, and I suppose I still do. I think Close and the orchestra make this new production worthwhile for any folks interested, but  I believe that Watermill production was a much more successful staging, held back only by the incompetencies of the adaptation. To be frank, Lonny Price isn't much of a director.

Updated On: 2/16/17 at 01:38 AM

Princeton2
#476SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 5:16pm

is there any more merchandise as the run has been extended? thinking mainly a souviner programme/brochure?

10086sunset
#477SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 10:49pm

Some news from Riedel regarding the possibility of another extension...

"Close should be pleased with her box office as well. “Sunset” opened with a $6 million advance, and sold another $500,000 worth of tickets the day the reviews came out. She’s already extended her run by four weeks, and there’s talk of another extension through the end of the summer.

What of possible replacements? It would be fun to see Betty Buckley, Elaine Paige and Petula Clark swing by. They all played the part during the original Broadway run. Bernadette Peters, who was at the opening, could do it, too.

But here’s a thought I ran by Close at the opening-night party. Would she be willing to step aside just once so the stage manager can announce, “At this performance, the role of Norma Desmond, normally played by Glenn Close, will be played by . . . Patti LuPone”?

Close threw back her head and roared"

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#478SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 11:14pm

So glad to finally get some gossip on how the show is doing... that's awesome to hear that the advance has grown and that there's additional talks of extensions (although Riedel is known to throw his own wishful thinking into his reports...)  Love that he asked Close about Patti.  I mean, there's a part of me that would love it if it happened, if only to bring an end to a horrid 23 year battle - have a reconciliation between ALW and Patti - and watch the box office go bonkers as people clammor to see Patti (and start the battle of who's better all over again)  I mean - Riedel is great at spinning a fantastic story... and any of those Normas, I'd plunk down another $160 to hear them and see it with that orchestra all over again.  Absolutely.  No question.

All that being said - this was very clearly billed as a Glenn Close Production.  It's the first time I can remember seeing an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical with his name coming second... so all of this is fantastic speculation (and a great memory from 23 years ago when this was a weekly thing about "who's coming next) but I sincerely doubt it.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#479SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 11:17pm

Just read the Huff Post rave on Sunset (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/in-sunset-boulevard-glenn-close-triumphs-again_us_58a6477de4b0fa149f9ac405 SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances - interesting - this was the first review that referenced "Young Norma' - which I know people seemed split on.  When I had heard about it from London last year it sounded like a horrid idea.  But I loved it - and think the reviewer hit the nail on the head on when it was most effective, most moving and made Norma the most vulnerable:

But it is her Act I finale “The Perfect Year” in which she tries to convince Joe to permanently move in with her and be her lover that the most subtle directorial choice is made. Throughout the show an actress plays a shadow Norma in her youthful prime, dressed in an all black ensemble, a haunting reminder of what used to be. During the emotional New Year’s Eve song, Norma dances with Joe as the shadow Norma watches, and in one beautiful moment the two Norma’s switch; Joe dances with the young, beautiful, famous Norma and is in love. It is here that the audience begins to understand Joe’s attraction to Norma: he doesn’t love Norma the person but the icon who she used to be. We can all relate—after all, it’s the whole reason we’ve come to see this revival.

“Sunset Boulevard” is a battle between Glenn Close and the rest of the show, and unsurprisingly she wins (the lush and haunting orchestra is her only close competitor). Just like Norma Desmond, Glenn Close is giving us all new ways to dream and all we can do is be thankful and keep seeing the show again and again, desperate for one more look.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#480SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 8:26am

chernjam said: "Love that he asked Close about Patti.  I mean, there's a part of me that would love it if it happened, if only to bring an end to a horrid 23 year battle - have a reconciliation between ALW and Patti - and watch the box office go bonkers as people clammor to see Patti (and start the battle of who's better all over again)"

As much as I'd like to see a reconciliation between Mr. Webber and Ms. LuPone, I wouldn't be equally as eager to see her as Norma. Judging by the London World Premiere recording, her acting of the part did not impress me. Based on footage available online, Petula Clark does not appeal to me in the role either.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#481SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 8:27am

If Patti were announced I'd be buying a premium ticket this second.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#482SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 10:21am

Lot666 said: As much as I'd like to see a reconciliation between Mr. Webber and Ms. LuPone, I wouldn't be equally as eager to see her as Norma. Judging by the London World Premiere recording, her acting of the part did not impress me. Based on footage available online, Petula Clark does not appeal to me in the role either.

haterobics said: "If Patti were announced I'd be buying a premium ticket this second."

I actually agree with both of you...  I'll never forget finding the WPR of Sunset in an import CD store (days before Amazon, internet sales, and you had to wait for it to be officially released - or pay colony records about $100 for a $30 CD set) for a bargain of $40 so I could finally hear the score myself and fell in love with it... and enjoyed Patti and Kevin a great deal. So there's the nostalgia effect.  

Having seen clips and seen her "take" on Norma - I understood some of the critics attacks on her.  But the thought of a reconciliation, and 23 years of her anger finally at an end - I would think moments like "Surrender" and "As If We Never Said Goodbye" could be theatrical magic and I wouldn't miss it.

All a pipe dream anyway

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#483SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 11:40am

chernjam said: "...the thought of a reconciliation, and 23 years of her anger finally at an end - I would think moments like "Surrender" and "As If We Never Said Goodbye" could be theatrical magic and I wouldn't miss it."

Those songs would indeed take on a whole new meaning.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Willie4316
#484SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 3:11pm

Has anyone sat in rear mezzanine or in the balcony? Debating which seat will give me the best view for my money. 

Coolchef93
#485SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 8:15pm

The merch site is here 

https://shop.platypusmerchandise.com/stores/sunset-boulevard/menu/all/ 

you can pre order program 

Jarethan
#486SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 11:00pm

Lot666 said: "chernjam said: "Love that he asked Close about Patti.  I mean, there's a part of me that would love it if it happened, if only to bring an end to a horrid 23 year battle - have a reconciliation between ALW and Patti - and watch the box office go bonkers as people clammor to see Patti (and start the battle of who's better all over again)"

As much as I'd like to see a reconciliation between Mr. Webber and Ms. LuPone, I wouldn't be equally as eager to see her as Norma. Judging by the London World Premiere recording, her acting of the part did not impress me. Based on footage available online, Petula Clark does not appeal to me in the role either.

I saw Petula Clark on the road and she was REALLY BAD.  Interestingly, her singing was the worst part...her voice was just not suited to the score.  It was painful seeing a once great singing star struggling in a losing battle.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#487SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 12:02am

Hmmm - I had seen Petula twice on tour and thought she was good.  Actually enjoyed the touring production more than I expected to...

Thanks for the link coolchef...  From the looks of it, the souvenier brochure won't be a traditional one we're used to

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#488SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 12:39am

I saw it tonight and was blown away! Also thought how thrilling Alice Ripley would be as a replacement- she's expressed a desire to do it and it seems right in her wheel house- and a nice full circle moment!

Willie4316
#489SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 1:25am

I also saw it tonight. Everything about the show simply was stunning. The orchestra was brilliant. Close easily deserves every rave she's gotten and so much more. Xavier suited Joe's role very well. Overall  a great evening out, which I would be happy to revisit.

Wilmingtom
#490SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 2:25am

I saw all of the Normas mentioned other than Clark, and including the marvelous Karen Mason.  And while I do admire Close in this iteration, the story is not about a 70 year old woman.  In 1950, an actress of 40 would have been considered over the hill, let alone one of 50.  But one of 70?  Sorry but now the story makes no sense to me.  If we, and Joe, and Norma don't believe there's at least a slim chance for her to actually make a comeback, what's the story?  From the moment Close entered, it was clear that she would not be making a comeback.  She was clearly a woman who had already lost her mind so there was nowhere for her to go from there.  

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#491SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 5:16am

I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone know of any discount codes that go into April?   I'm planning a trip to New York City at the end of March, and I have Sunset Boulevard penciled in for April 1, but I just wanted to see if there's any discounts before I buy tickets. 

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

chewbaca
#492SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 6:32am

My wife and I went to see Sunset Blvd last night. I don't often go to the theater, but 2-4 times per year is my average. I have never seen Sunset Boulevard either in play or in movie version. And although I enjoy ALW plays I have to admit that, along with many of you, his songs and tunes can be very repetitive. I am not writing this to inform you that this was the greatest play of all time- you know it is not. The set, as you already know is stripped down, the orchestra substituting for an amazing backdrop in exchange. The 4 main characters do the play justice.

But there is sometimes in theater we hit onto a moment or segment or song that is unforgettable. Something we latch onto that each and every one of us says "incredible", or " I'll never forget that moment".  Closes' performance in this show is nothing short of great. But that moment she is sitting in Cecil B Demilles director's chair and comes to her realization of what she has become is one of those moments for me. There are few times in theater that my emotions overtake my conscious being. And that epiphematic moment, that delivery by Ms. Close of her realization just prior to the song " As If We Never Said Goodbye" that will stay in my memory forever. 

This show does not have the dazzle of Hamilton, or the staging of Les Miz. Aside from the 2 famous songs the entire score is not the best I have ever heard- although the 2 iconic songs are great. But Ms. Closes' acting is spectacular ( in my opinion). If you decide to go, sit close as you can see her expressions,not in the rear where you think you do. She does not have an amazing voice, and some notes she just misses. But you forget all that during this production. Her majestic command of the stage and especially her acting at that crucial moment in Cecil B Demille's chair, is one of the most iconic moments in theater history. It's why I go to the theater.

chewbaca
#493SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 6:32am

My wife and I went to see Sunset Blvd last night. I don't often go to the theater, but 2-4 times per year is my average. I have never seen Sunset Boulevard either in play or in movie version. And although I enjoy ALW plays I have to admit that, along with many of you, his songs and tunes can be very repetitive. I am not writing this to inform you that this was the greatest play of all time- you know it is not. The set, as you already know is stripped down, the orchestra substituting for an amazing backdrop in exchange. The 4 main characters do the play justice.

But there is sometimes in theater we hit onto a moment or segment or song that is unforgettable. Something we latch onto that each and every one of us says "incredible", or " I'll never forget that moment".  Closes' performance in this show is nothing short of great. But that moment she is sitting in Cecil B Demilles director's chair and comes to her realization of what she has become is one of those moments for me. There are few times in theater that my emotions overtake my conscious being. And that epiphematic moment, that delivery by Ms. Close of her realization just prior to the song " As If We Never Said Goodbye" that will stay in my memory forever. 

This show does not have the dazzle of Hamilton, or the staging of Les Miz. Aside from the 2 famous songs the entire score is not the best I have ever heard- although the 2 iconic songs are great. But Ms. Closes' acting is spectacular ( in my opinion). If you decide to go, sit close as you can see her expressions,not in the rear where you think you do. She does not have an amazing voice, and some notes she just misses. But you forget all that during this production. Her majestic command of the stage and especially her acting at that crucial moment in Cecil B Demille's chair, is one of the most iconic moments in theater history. It's why I go to the theater.

stlrod
#494SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 8:08am

My wife and were to see the original on Vanlentine's Day over 20 years ago.  We had such a packed weekend we gave our tickets to the concierge at our hotel the morning of the performance and asked him if he could sell them and pocket anything above face. We went upstairs to our room and immediately got a call informing us they were sold.  He was very happy and even refused a tip.  

Fast forward a couple decades later...we saw the show last night for the first time.  Glenn Close was phenomenal even if her voice was not the best.  The earlier poster was so right about the moment she is sitting in the director's chair.  That orchestra was impressive as well.  I also enjoyed Dillon a lot.  The show drags a bit when Close is not onstage.  We had perfect seats in the mezzanine  (e 10 and 12) with an empty seat in front of us and two empty seats after intermission.

one final note:  second time at The Palace.  I have been in 33 of the broadway houses (34 after Sunday today.). It is one of my least favorites.  The restroom situation is ridiculous.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#495SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 9:23am

Willmington-  the character of Norma Desmond, despite the age of the actress playing her can't be much older than 50. This is a simple issue of math given that the story is set in 1949 and the text tells us she is  "barely" 16 when she was discovered and 17 when she began making silent films and it wasn't much before 1914 that full length silent films (that actually billed the leading actors) were even shown nationwide. This of course fairly parallels the real life trajectory of Gloria Swanson who was born in 1900.

The justification when older actresses have pleated the role has always been that 50 today doesn't look like 50 in 1950 and I'm willing to buy this. Especially a reclusive character like Norma Desmond who has all kinds of mental (and likely other) issues.

Glenn Close when she played the role in 1993 was actually a little too young for the role. This time she is visibly older but it makes the pathetic aspects of the character in my opinion more real for contemporary audiences. The issue of a fifty year old woman with a thirty year old man is also not blink worthy today and having a visibly older Norma also helps this aspect of the story (shocking in 1950 to film audiences).

I disagree that we are ever expected to believe Norma has any real chance at a comeback. From her first scene where she announces intentions to play Salome in a new silent film, that needs no dialogue, we are pretty much assured this isn't going to end well.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 2/18/17 at 09:23 AM

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#496SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 10:29am

May be silly to think about, but I wonder... is Glenn residing in the Judy Garland room for the run? She would be added to a lengthy list of stars to be there. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#497SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 10:33am

QueenAlice said: "....I disagree that we are ever expected to believe Norma has any real chance at a comeback. From her first scene where she announces intentions to play Salome in a new silent film, that needs no dialogue, we are pretty much assured this isn't going to end well.
"

That and the dead body in the pool hovering over the audience are good clues to that smiley

And whatever Norma's age is - that's almost an after thought at this point.  Lonny Price (director) has focused this beyond it just being a story of a forgotten movie star lost due to the invention of the talkies.  Sunset is a love story of an older woman desperately clinging to her past life  as well as the price of people's attachment to this fantasy of celebrity and fame that everybody pays a price for...
Norma will lose her mind
Joe will lose his life
Max will lose his reason for being
Betty will lose the love of her life ... all because of this attachment

Which is why Lloyd Webber sees this as a Greek tragedy

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#498SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 10:45am

To be fair those aspects of the story have ALWAYS been there and I wouldn't go so far as to credit Lonny Price as having discovered any salient new layers in the piece.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#499SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:29am

Hi QA et all,

Quick side question, there is a pro-Muslim rally on 2/19 from W 48th to W 53rd. Is the entrance to the Palace on 47th or 48th ? I can't remember. I don't know how large turn out will be so I guess I'll find out, (my foot is in a cast), walking and or parking should be interesting. Thanks all!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Videos