pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 21

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#500Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/22/23 at 1:28am

As I stated previously, I was sitting on the end house left. I had no idea that what was going on upstage with the picturization. Again, I would buy tickets in the  2 to 4 hundreds. Had I sat center I would have had a totally different visual experience. 

Updated On: 3/22/23 at 01:28 AM

JasonC3
#501Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/22/23 at 9:39am

In today's New York Times, "Camelot, Beloved but Befuddled, Gets the Aaron Sorkin Treatment" (gift link so no paywall).

from the article:

He made one key early decision that has guided his approach to the show: no supernatural elements.....

“It wasn’t that I don’t like magic — I do,” Sorkin said. “Nor were there commercial reasons — no producer wants to put on a marquee, ‘Now With No Magic!’ It was because I feel that this story, in particular, had a chance of landing more powerfully, more emotionally, if people felt real. If a problem can be solved by waving a magic wand, it doesn’t feel like much of a problem.”

Updated On: 3/22/23 at 09:39 AM

wickedwitch2
#502Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/22/23 at 3:46pm

JasonC3 said: "In today's New York Times, "Camelot, Beloved but Befuddled, Gets the Aaron Sorkin Treatment" (gift link so no paywall).

from the article:

He made one key early decision that has guided his approach to the show: no supernatural elements.....
“It wasn’t that I don’t like magic — I do,” Sorkin said. “Nor were there commercial reasons — no producer wants to put on a marquee, ‘Now With No Magic!’ It was because I feel that this story, in particular, had a chance of landing more powerfully, more emotionally, if people felt real. If a problem can be solved by waving a magic wand, it doesn’t feel like much of a problem.”

"

Really interesting article, especially this bit:

"Sorkin quickly realized that two songs, in particular, posed problems: the sexist-sounding “How to Handle a Woman” and the classist-sounding “What Do the Simple Folk Do?”

“When I first started writing it, I thought, there’s an easy way to solve this: Don’t sing the songs,” Sorkin said.

But Sher asked Sorkin to reconsider, given fan fondness for the score. “There’s a reason we see ‘Camelot’,” Sorkin acknowledged, “and the reason isn’t me.”

So he came up with an alternative solution: humor. The songs are back, preceded by dialogue in which Guenevere preemptively defuses their sting with Sorkin-esque wit."

JasonC3
#503Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/22/23 at 6:16pm

I definitely recall thinking “What Do the Simple Folk Do?” was updated in a clever manner.  Lots of chuckles from the lyrics and how the characters play off each other.

sassylash3s
#504Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/23/23 at 12:51am

Saw the show tonight. Jordan Donica was out and Christian Mark Gibbs went on for Lancelot.  Anybody know if this was his first performance?  He was very good.

Rakesh Natarajan
#505Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/23/23 at 2:18am

sassylash3s said: "Saw the show tonight. Jordan Donica was out and Christian Mark Gibbs went on for Lancelot. Anybody know if this was his first performance? He was very good."

His first performance was today’s matinee. I saw it and he was incredible. After the show, he said that he was told about playing Lancelot 45 minutes before the performance. Since they’re in previews, he didn’t have a full put-in rehearsal. He only got to rehearse a few individuals scenes before the matinee (and I’m pretty sure the Beaumont opened later than usual because of that rehearsal). I‘m legitimately shocked about how well constructed his performance was given the lack of prep time. If I didn’t know Donica was usually Lancelot, I probably would’ve assumed that Gibbs was the full-time  Lancelot.

Updated On: 3/23/23 at 02:18 AM

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#506Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/23/23 at 11:01am

How is Taylor Trensch as Mordred? Does Sorkin let the character provide camp comic relief? Or does he play him “straight?”

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

JasonC3
#507Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/23/23 at 11:16am

MrsSallyAdams said: "How is Taylor Trensch as Mordred? Does Sorkin let the character provide camp comic relief? Or does he play him “straight?”"

A bit of camp comic relief combined with villainous humor is how I would describe it.  A strong performance.

MBFan
#509Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/23/23 at 4:28pm

Just curious... for those of you who've seen it, what's the chemistry like between Jordan and Phillipa?

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#510Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/23/23 at 8:50pm

MBFan said: "Just curious... for those of you who've seen it, what's the chemistry like between Jordan and Phillipa?"

I totally bought it! I feel like it wouldn't really work if you didn't. 

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#511Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/23/23 at 9:26pm

sm33 said: "MBFan said: "Just curious... for those of you who've seen it, what's the chemistry like between Jordan and Phillipa?"

I totally bought it! I feel like it wouldn't really work if you didn't.
"

after the way he sings "If Ever I would Leave You", I would have a hard time buying anyone not having chemistry with him......... i can completely understand why she felt conflicted. 

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 3/23/23 at 09:26 PM

Voter
#512Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/26/23 at 12:12am

Are there any loud noises or startling noises (gunshots, cannons) in the new Camelot on Broadway? I am going on April 15 and would love to know. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#513Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/26/23 at 1:55am

Call the box office and ask.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#514Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/26/23 at 6:11am

No gunshots or cannons.  Some swordplay.

Voter said: "Are there any loud noises or startling noises (gunshots, cannons) in the new Camelot on Broadway? I am going on April 15 and would love to know."

Dollypop
#515Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/26/23 at 6:41pm

Voter said: "Are there any loud noises or startling noises (gunshots, cannons) in the new Camelot on Broadway? I am going on April 15 and would love to know."

How many guns were around in the time period CAMELOT is set in?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#516Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/26/23 at 7:25pm

i'm still surprised how much i adored this production ---- elegant, captivating, and with a beautifully talented cast.  I'm looking forward to returning for another visit to  further taken in Sorkin's clever updates to the book

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

Rakesh Natarajan
#517Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/26/23 at 7:28pm

Dollypop said: "Voter said: "Are there any loud noises or startling noises (gunshots, cannons) in the new Camelot on Broadway? I am going on April 15 and would love to know."

How many guns were around in the time period CAMELOT is set in?

"

Sorkin talked about how he wanted this production to take place in England during the late 15th century. At that point, at least some firearms were present across Europe. For example, the earliest (extremely crude) matchlock guns in Europe have been dated to the early 15th century and by around 1470, Western Europe had what many would consider among the first modern European guns. IDK if these weapons were common or if they were even in England specifically. I'm definitely not an expert in firearms (and have never even fired a gun personally), so I can't really comment on any specifics of early European firearms. With that being said, to answer your question, there were definitely at least a handful of guns present in Europe during the time period when this production of Camelot takes place. 

But to answer the original question, as other people have said, there aren't any guns in the show. From what I can remember, the loudest noises are probably during a sword fight... but those noises aren't super loud or unexpected.

Updated On: 3/26/23 at 07:28 PM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#518Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/26/23 at 9:02pm

Quick question. I'm seeing Camelot in a couple of weeks. I'm excited to be back at Lincoln Center! It's been so long! I got TodayTix tickets for the Rear Loge. Are those seats decent? I looked on View from My Seat, and they look ok but would like to know for anyone who sat in that section for this production how those seats are. Thanks!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#519Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/23 at 3:37pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Quick question. I'm seeing Camelot in a couple of weeks. I'm excited to be back at Lincoln Center! It's been so long! I got TodayTix tickets for the Rear Loge. Are those seats decent? I looked on View from My Seat, and they look ok but would like to know for anyone who sat in that section for this production how those seats are. Thanks!"

You should be fine! The theatre only seats 1040.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#520Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/23 at 5:04pm

Rakesh Natarajan said: "Sorkin talked about how he wanted this production to take place in England during the late 15th century. ."

I hadn't heard or read this before and it surprises me. If there was an historical source that inspired the Arthur legend it was likely in the 4th or 5th century. So this production is set a thousand years later when the regional kingdoms of England after which Camelot is modeled--Wessex, East Anglia, Mercia etc--were long gone. In the late 15th century the Tudors began their dynasty on the English throne. It's a very 'real' and not mythic period. I'm eager to see this production, but this does puzzle me.

Updated On: 3/28/23 at 05:04 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#521Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/29/23 at 6:49pm

Is Jordan Donica back in the show this week?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#522Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/30/23 at 12:13am

Donica was back in tonight and, frankly, I wouldn’t have known he was recently sick considering he was in fine voice and physical form. The show pretty much only comes alive when he is on stage and him and Phillipa Soo have a crackling chemistry. To that end, Soo played Guinevere with her full arsenal of emotions - from cheeky, to sexy, to vengeful, to broken - albeit myself and some others do recognize that Soo playing a jilted/betrayed partner of sorts is directly in her wheelhouse.

Burnap is okay, but definitely was underamplified for having such a thin voice. When he goes toe-to-toe with Donica, I found it laughable that Donica was the one bending a knee. There are times where it felt like Burnap, Donica, and Soo were all in different shows based on the way they were directed and only the latter two ever really found their way back together

I found Taylor Trensch profoundly annoying in this - his character appears just out of nowhere at the top of Act II and isn’t really doing camp, but more like is Dear Evan Hansen had a different kind of mood disorder.

Like with any Lincoln Center/Bart Sher production, the orchestrations are lush and wonderful, but sometimes obstruct the singing. Also, the cavernous set is a problem since there never isn’t much in the way of large set pieces to fill the dead air space, giving the music a bit of a hollow feeling. Overall, I think “hollow” is the best way to describe this production as a whole. It’s there - but really missing the romance and the heart. There is a chance I could actually see this show getting overlooked for Revival in favor of Dancin’ for the fourth slot, depending on the reviews.

In terms of timing, Act 1 ran about 1:40 and Act 2 was about 1:00, yet the pace of Act II dragged out and felt somehow longer.

Stage Door (since people inevitably ask) - Soo, Burnap, Dakin Matthews, Fergie Phillipe, Camden McKinnon (the boy), Marilee Talkington, Matias De La Flor, and Paul Whitty all signed.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 3/30/23 at 12:13 AM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#523Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/30/23 at 2:15am

quizking101 said: "
I found Taylor Trensch profoundly annoying in this - his character appears just out of nowhere at the top of Act II and isn’t really doing camp, but more like is Dear Evan Hansen had a different kind of mood disorder.

That seems to be how Mordred is always - annoying.  Roddy McDowell on the Original  Cast Album definitely seems rather camp.  In the film David Hemmings, following up his success in Blow Up, plays it a bit more butch - only because for the film they cut Mordred's songs.

It's an inherent problem of this show.  I'm guessing they followed the plot of the source novel?  In this production when you already have a group of grumpy knights, it seems excess to throw in another villain.

The film cuts Morgan le Fey.  I think this production adds her back effectively. I wasn't really familiar with Arthur legends, but it interesting to learn that in the original stories she is actually Arthur's haf-sister.  In those stories Mordred's mother is someone else.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#524Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/30/23 at 9:52am

Well, to be fair, Mordred's the one who makes the knights grumpy. IIRC, they're pretty contented with life until he starts stirring them up.

Videos