pixeltracker

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22 - Page 24

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#575COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:46am

CurtainPullDowner said: "I guess The Pone doesn't carry as much weight as she thought. What happened to her threat that she would only do the show if certain Actors transferred (or were cast).

I am a big fan of Lenk's and think she will be great but I feel bad for Rosalie, this was her chance to make a splash on Broadway. She is a wonderful Actress/Singer.
"

Rosalie was reportedly offered the role but couldn’t commit due to another project in London.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#576COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:48am

Call_me_jorge said: "Two time tony award winner Katrina Lenk has a nice ring to it"

I thought the same thing, but then I remembered Sharon Clarke is bringing Caroline to Broadway. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#577COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:49am

Is Jonathan Bailey from the West End cast making the Broadway transfer as Jamie?!? I thought he was amazing when I saw the show in London last December!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#578COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:51am

Wick3 said: "Is Jonathan Bailey from the West End cast making the Broadway transfer as Jamie?!? I thought he was amazing when I saw the show in Londonlast December!"

the rumor is they tried getting him too, but negotiations fell through. Matt Doyle is playing Jamie. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#579COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:56am

Ah ok. I'm really glad I got to see this production in London then! Very happy for Doyle, Lupone, and Lenk!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#580COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:58am

Katrina Lenk is gorgeous and I’m sure on stage can be believable as a 35 year old. Though I personally don’t think it matters if Bobbi is 35 or 40. I mean Laura Benanti just played Eliza Doolittle at 40. What does it matter?

Honestly, sometimes the comments on this board are so ageist and sexist. It never ceases to amaze me. I’d shudder to think of how you all would have reacted when Judi Dench played Desiree and Cleopatra at the RNT.  This obsession with actors being the “right” age is a 21st century construct in the age of film and TV.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 8/30/19 at 08:58 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#581COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:06am

Jordan, I think age isn’t the reason you don’t want Lenk in the role. This isn’t like they’ve cast Bernadette Peters in the part.

And yes, since I’m one of the very few women on this board, I think I can be on the cross for a moment when it comes to defending some of the, again, ageist and sexist comments that appear here, I think, without thought or consideration behind them.

Updated On: 8/30/19 at 09:06 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#582COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:07am

The point is the character is at an age where she should be settled down and isn’t. Lenk is only in her early 40s. Harping on her age is silly.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

OhHiii
#583COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:09am

QueenAlice said: "Jordan, I think age isn’t the reason you don’t want Lenk in the role. This isn’t like they’ve cast Bernadette Peters in the part.

And yes, since I’m one of the very few women on this board, I think I can be on the cross for a moment when it comes to defending some of the again ageist and sexist comments trust appear here.
"

LOUDER, ALICE!! All of this.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#584COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:10am

If we're remixing the script anyway, I've said for years that Bobby, male or female, should probably be turning forty in a production set in modern times. Thirty-five isn't the "middle aged" milestone it used to be; hell, neither is forty but it's a more recognizable epoch number.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#585COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:11am

What sexist comments? I haven’t seen any sexist comments so please point them out.

Again, talking about the characters age isn’t sexist when it’s the point of the show.

Jordan Catalano
#586COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:14am

And again, my issue isn’t Lenk who is fabulous. My issue is this show is a hard sell here and they’ll need all the help they can get tickets sold and a “name” in that role would have helped ensure this amazing production to thrive. It still might, but it’s a much much much harder sell now.

Colin852
#587COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:15am

Question my friends: Not familiar with this show, but if someone (hypothetically of course) was not a Patti fan, would you recommend this show to them??? Everyone seems so excited, I am intrigued. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#588COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:16am

That I agree with Jordan but really there are very few major A list stars who could have performed the role well and would have even considered doing it. it will likely thrive as a limited engagement prestige production.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#589COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:16am

Colin852 said: "Question my friends: Not familiar with this show, but if someone (hypothetically of course) was not a Patti fan, would you recommend this show to them??? Everyone seems so excited, I am intrigued."

Patti’s role isn’t big at all. I say go ahead and see this  

Jordan Catalano
#590COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:18am

Unless they change the direction of the show, Patti’s presence is felt throughout a lot of the show, even though Joanne isn’t a huge role.

PipingHotPiccolo
#591COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:22am

QueenAlice said: "Jordan, I think age isn’t the reason you don’t want Lenk in the role. This isn’t like they’ve cast Bernadette Peters in the part.

And yes, since I’m one of the very few women on this board, I think I can be on the cross for a moment when it comes to defending some of the, again, ageist and sexist comments thatappear here,I think,without thought or consideration behind them.
"

This was Woke special. First you allege sexism, and then when its explained that the age of the character is specifically a plot point in the show, you declare that age isnt really the reason Jordan doesn't want Lenk in the role despite him saying precisely the opposite, and THEN you move it entirely away from Jordan's comments and the actual topic being discussed into the more general "ageism and sexism" that pervades these Boards- which to my knowledge has nothing to do with Jordan even in your telling.

IT IS SO EXHAUSTING. I love Katrina Lenk. I have no problem if they adjust the plot to reflect 2019 where a 35 yr old single person is totally ordinary. But if they didnt do that, then why is it unfair to question whether Lenk (who, whatever her age, has a very regal, mature presence) is the right fit? She might be because I think shes a brilliant actress but the idea that questioning it is sexist is a reach. There is nothing ageist or sexist about thinking someone who looks 35ish should play Bobbie, or Bobby for that matter, just as there is nothing sexist or ageist about wanting Mrs. Lovett to appear to be in late middle age. There are plots to these things. 

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#592COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:25am

Kad said: "The point is the character is at an age where she should be settled down and isn’t. Lenk is only in her early 40s. Harping on her age is silly."

Especially since LuPone will turn 71 shortly after the show's opening. Despite the fact that Joanne isn't quite sure where she fits into social situations age-wise, she is still a sexual and vital woman. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#593COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:26am

Jordan Catalano said: "What sexist comments? I haven’t seen any sexist comments so please point them out.

Again, talking about the characters age isn’t sexist when it’s the point of the show.
"

Jordan, I apologize if your last post came across as an opportunity for me to attack. You are right it’s fine to discuss an actors age when it comes to a role (especially when age is part of the story). My comments about this board being full of ageist and sexist comments is not specifically directed at you. My point is actually that all the threads are full of comments by various posters that are filled with remarks that are incredibly demeaning to women- and I think much of this is unintentional. In our society it’s almost impossible to separate the discussion of anyone female without some comment on her age or attractiveness. It’s such a cultural norm that most people don’t even realize it. I get it - in the theatre - we judge actors by their appearance - but when all of these comments are mostly made by gay men, I find it worth pointing out. This board loves to jump on anything “racist”  or “intolerant” and yet often doesn’t see its prejudice in other areas. That’s simply my point.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#594COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:32am

Jordan Catalano said: "And again, my issue isn’t Lenk who is fabulous. My issue is this show is a hard sell here and they’ll need all the help they can get tickets sold and a “name” in that role would have helped ensure this amazing production to thrive. It still might, but it’s a much much much harder sell now. "

What does it being a hard sell and, in your opinion, needing a name to sell tickets have to do with Lenk’s age? And why do you care that it’s a hard sell, unless you’re an investor?

There’s certainly precedent for shows without names and being tough sells doing well. Hell, Lenk was JUST in one. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#595COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:34am

Kad, they were two unrelated points. Sounds like I’ve upset you personally, which I apologize for if I have.

And I didn’t say the show would fail without a name just that historically it might have a tougher time and as much as I love this production every time I’ve seen it, I want it to be a success here. That’s all.

Samanthacq Profile Photo
Samanthacq
#596COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:43am

As a woman, I think Katrina Lenk can pass for a 35 years old no problem. She looks even better, dare I say, than some of other names mentioned on this board before. If we are so strict with age, then even Rosalie shouldn't be playing Bobbie. How dare she playing a character who is 3 years younger than her own age!

As for a big name, I'm sure there are actors out there who can both sell tickets and play the role, but it's not like the producers haven't been going after them... From all the rumors flying around, it's quite clear that they have tried and failed, Katrina is simply the best option they have left. 

griffin24
#597COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:48am

I wonder how the set will transfer because the Gielgud is much more narrower then the Jacobs. They might tweak some bits to fill the stage more hopefully! Otherwise it will look very empty lol

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#598COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:58am

Elliot told The NY Times that the production won’t be a replica of the London production, and there will absolutely be changes.
Also, Bunny Christie posted some set renderings, and one of the images wasn’t seen in the London production.

Updated On: 8/30/19 at 09:58 AM

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#599COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/30/19 at 10:02am

griffin24 said: "I wonder how the set will transfer because the Gielgud is much more narrower then the Jacobs. They might tweak some bits to fill the stage more hopefully! Otherwise it will look very empty lol"

The Gielgud is a gorgeous theatre! 

Videos