pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 24

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#575Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 1:17pm

Patti's Gypsy was absolutely remarkable. The only aspect that lacked was the physical production.

I'm extremely excited for this upcoming revival but I suspect Patti will be my definitive Rose forever.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#576Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 1:32pm

ljay889 said: "Audra played Mother Superior in The Sound of Music Live in 2013.

"

Totally nitpicky (and with no relevance to the Gypsy discussion) but it's Mother Abbess not Mother Superior. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#577Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 2:10pm

LuPone’s Gypsy was one of the first shows I saw when I moved to New York as a college freshman and I ended up seeing a few times. Although it wasn’t the biggest production-wise, it more than made up for it with those performances- not just from Patti, Boyd, and Benanti, but also Tony Yazbek, Leigh Ann Larkin, and Allison Fraser, Marilyn Caskey, and Lenora Nemetz as the strippers. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#578Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 3:32pm

Selfishly, I’m really bummed that Jennifer Simard is unavailable for this but of course thrilled to see her in Death Becomes Her. I would love to see her take on any of the strippers! 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#579Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 4:17pm

I kind of would love to see her in PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY style play all 3 strippers at once. 

JIU-JIT-SUUU

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

theblackumbrella
#580Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 9:02pm

I know some people have referenced Lea Salonga’s “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” from Old Friends. 

I have my ticket for Audra, but the next Gypsy revival in 2030 (wink wink) how’s Lea as Rose and Eva Noblezada as Louise?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#581Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 9:57pm

TotallyEffed said: "Patti's Gypsy was absolutely remarkable. The only aspect that lacked was the physicalproduction.

I'm extremely excited for this upcoming revival but I suspect Patti will be my definitive Rose forever.
"

I don't thinks so!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#582Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:09pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Robbie2 said: "For what it's worth.......Heard offers are out for Louise & Herbie and I don't know who!"

!! I hope that means we get a full cast announcement soon, but it's more likely to be mid-summer, right?
"

That would be fab but we'll see as my agent friend shared with me that offers are out for those 2 roles and auditions for remaining will be happening in the next couple of weeks!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#583Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:10pm

McDonald's name value and appeal, outside of Broadway circles, are vastly overrated.  

JSquared2
#584Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:20pm

Robbie2 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Robbie2 said: "For what it's worth.......Heard offers are out for Louise & Herbie and I don't know who!"

!! I hope that means we get a full cast announcement soon, but it's more likely to be mid-summer, right?
"

That would be fab but we'll see as my agent friend shared with me that offers are out for those 2 roles and auditions for remaining will be happening inthe next couple of weeks!
"

Thank god!  We’ve been on pins and needles waiting to hear what your “agent friend” has to say about things. Phew! 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#585Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:31pm

JSquared2 said: "Robbie2 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Robbie2 said: "For what it's worth.......Heard offers are out for Louise & Herbie and I don't know who!"

"

That would be fab but we'll see as my agent friend shared with me that offers are out for those 2 roles and auditions for remaining will be happening inthe next couple of weeks!
"

Thank god! We’ve been on pins and needles waiting to hear what your “agent friend” has to say about things. Phew!
"

chill dude just sharing what I hear on the board that's all . Btw, he represents major musical theater talent and always has clients in every show on Broadway. He a good source and friend but doesn't do BW and respect what he shares with me.

hearthemsing22
#587Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:27pm

theblackumbrella said: "I know some people have referenced Lea Salonga’s “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” fromOld Friends.

I have my ticket for Audra, but the next Gypsy revival in 2030 (wink wink) how’s Lea as Rose and Eva Noblezada as Louise?
"

I only saw "Lea" and not your earlier comment, and thought Lea Michele and immediately thought "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo". I'm glad I read the whole thing 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#588Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:37pm

Was "Rose's Turn" at Carniege Hall Audra's first time singing a Rose song in concert? Was this like when Bernadette 'auditioned' with "Some People" at Carniege Hall for the first time???

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#589Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/6/24 at 10:31pm

Throwing an idea out there:

Nancy Opel played Mazzeppa in the LuPone production at City Center but didn't continue with the Broadway production because she did the tour of DROWSY.

Now is her moment to play Mazzeppa on Broadway!

LarryK2
#590Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/8/24 at 12:33pm

Any truth to the rumor that KeKe Palmer has signed on as Louise?

Jarethan
#591Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/8/24 at 12:43pm

Owen22 said: "I know that Paul Giamatti's name is the number one casting rumorfor Herbie, but this might keep him from the role...

https://deadline.com/2024/06/paul-giamatti-hostel-tv-series-eli-roth-1235958898/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1ZU46c17K4FGpuFTM5e924zqvHSs5LPtA8ZTjQMwZ8i7HuSvZOYZel03c_aem_AaoDqH4vAP04_5UZZ1A-b7jj9GY3pIRyS1LumVGEWDl0NLUIJEpcEEMibOeCZf2ZTYoxOskpfIXAReBpozL_b5zm
"

I would be very surprised if Paul Giamatti would take the role of Herbie at this point in his career.  He is at a career peak; taking a featured role in a revival just doesnt sound like the right career decision.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#592Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/8/24 at 4:00pm

As far as I can tell, the Giamatti rumor originated from one poster here who has very little credibility.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/8/24 at 04:00 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#593Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/8/24 at 5:42pm

I’m starting the rumor it’ll be Andy Cohen. 

OhHiii
#594Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/8/24 at 6:26pm

I keep hearing more murmurs that Keke Palmer is all but confirmed for Louise. The oracle has said so as well, which his sources have been pretty spot on as of late as far as casting goes. 

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#595Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/8/24 at 8:56pm

Jarethan said: "Owen22 said: "I know that Paul Giamatti's name is the number one casting rumorfor Herbie, but this might keep him from the role...

https://deadline.com/2024/06/paul-giamatti-hostel-tv-series-eli-roth-1235958898/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1ZU46c17K4FGpuFTM5e924zqvHSs5LPtA8ZTjQMwZ8i7HuSvZOYZel03c_aem_AaoDqH4vAP04_5UZZ1A-b7jj9GY3pIRyS1LumVGEWDl0NLUIJEpcEEMibOeCZf2ZTYoxOskpfIXAReBpozL_b5zm
"

I would be very surprised if Paul Giamatti would take the role of Herbie at this point in his career. He is at a career peak; taking a featured role in a revival just doesnt sound like the right career decision.
"

He’s just been announced to star in a television spin off of a terrible horror movie series, if this is his career peak then he could do a lot worse than Herbie in a big, anticipated Broadway revival of one of the world’s most famous musicals. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

OhHiii
#596Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/9/24 at 7:04am

Plannietink08 said: "Jarethan said: "Owen22 said: "I know that Paul Giamatti's name is the number one casting rumorfor Herbie, but this might keep him from the role...

"

I would be very surprised if Paul Giamatti would take the role of Herbie at this point in his career. He is at a career peak; taking a featured role in a revival just doesnt sound like the right career decision.
"

He’s just been announced to star in a television spin off of a terrible horror movie series, if this is his career peak then he could do a lot worse than Herbie in a big, anticipated Broadway revival of one of the world’s most famous musicals.
"

It would be very easy for him to film the series this summer before they start rehearsals in what I imagine would be mid-late September. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#597Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 1:25pm

Welp, the final nail in the coffin...

Paul Giamatti Boards ‘Star Trek: Starfleet Academy’

Starts filming late this summer.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#598Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 1:52pm

Can we get Patrick Wilson back to broadway? He’d be a stellar Herbie with great chemistry with Audra. Also, Gabby Beans as Louise! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#599Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/11/24 at 1:55pm

Bill Snibson said: "Can we get Patrick Wilson back to broadway? He’d be a stellar Herbie with great chemistry with Audra. Also, Gabby Beans as Louise!"

What a waste of Patrick Wilson's talent! He turns down a play or musical at least once a month, and this doesn't feel like the one that gets him back to the theatre. And since when is Herbie supposed to be smoldering hot and charming????

Videos