News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#6252024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:59pm

CHITA DESERVED BETTER!

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#6262024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:00pm

The dancing in the Chita Rivera tribute was great, but I wish they hadn't had dancers dancing and Chita on the screen and people talking all at the same time. It was difficult to focus on any one thing. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#6272024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:02pm

* Great Gatsby commercial reminding us that no one at Lincoln Center remembers this show exists! I liked it a whole bunch, fwiw. 

* Jason Alexander is a theater/tv treasure and I thought he was raking in Seinfeld checks forever, so why is he doing this mustard commercial that makes me want to hide from cringe?

* Gad and Rannels are there, I presume, to torture us with a reminder of what actually inherenty funny people are like and force us to wonder why arent they hosting? that was great.

* Brenden Jacob Jenkins- another wonderful concise moving speech.

* this is where Ariana belongs- thanking Chita and dancing in her honor. The sound was off again, but each of them got in, got out, and Ariana finished it nicely. 

OhHiii
#6282024 Tony Awards

The only requisite for something to be considered a musical is a show that uses song to push the plot forward. Which Illinoise undeniably has in spades. So.

Alex Kulak2
#6292024 Tony Awards

Chita Rivera: *dies*

The Tony Awards:

Sesame Street Episode 4508 Ernie's Dance Video October 10, 2014 on Make a  GIF

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#6302024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:03pm

MCfan2 said: "The dancing in the Chita Rivera tribute was great, but I wish they hadn't had dancers dancing and Chita on the screen and people talking all at the same time. It was difficult to focus on any one thing."

It was very 80’s Tony show number.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#6312024 Tony Awards

TheGingerBreadMan said: "People are gonna come for me over this, and you're all entitled to feel how you feel, but I just don't see Illinoise as a musical at all and I don't agree with it being nominated for Best Musical. It's a ballet that happens to have live singers. It's an absolutely beautiful show, and their performance has 10000% been the best of the night so far, and I think it's something that everyone should see. But calling it a musical is a huge stretch.

And let the firing squad begin...
"

Your idea of a musical is limited 

noun

1. a play or movie in which singing and dancing play an essential part.

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 10:03 PM

MezzoDiva47
#6322024 Tony Awards

JSquared2 said: "Bette's Turban said: "Hells kitchen number is doll. They had to bring out Alicia Keys and what’s his name to make something happen. I’m hating this so far."

Tell us you are a racist without actually saying you are a racist?

"What's his name" is Jay-Z and he's one of the most famous people on the planet.
"

sanity has returned to the landscape, and ppl will no longer tolerate this type of brazen accusation without concrete evidence to back it up

the logic that not knowing who jay-z is = racist does not compute

have a nice day

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#6332024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:06pm

I thought they gave Chita a well-deserved moment rather than just placing her in the “in memoriam”. She truly was a one of a kind and an incredible talent and energy. RIP Chita. Thank you for a legacy of incredible broadway performances! 

Peter Barker
#6342024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:07pm

MCfan2 said: "The dancing in the Chita Rivera tribute was great, but I wish they hadn't had dancers dancing and Chita on the screen and people talking all at the same time. It was difficult to focus on any one thing."

The best way to honor Chita Rivera might have been to simply show a clip of her performing. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#6352024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:08pm

No offense meant to these very handsome men, but why are they presenting Best Play? Did I miss something?

MemorableUserName
#6362024 Tony Awards

It's so weird that they did Lead Actor in a Play at the top of the show but are holding all the other Lead categories for the final hour (like awards shoes usually do). Is it somehow less prestigious this year? Not enough stars? Strong at least seems popular enough they might have wanted to hold his possible win to later so people stayed tune.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6372024 Tony Awards

This is a very weird and off-feeling ceremony. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

theatergoer3
#6382024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:09pm

Yesssssss !!!

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 10:09 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
#6392024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:11pm

Kad said: "This is a very weird and off-feeling ceremony."

feels haphazard, put together almost like an after thought.

sppunk
#6402024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:13pm

This ceremony is trying to turn people off theater, aggressively, it seems. It is so disjointed and the production quality is amateur. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#6412024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:13pm

MemorableUserName said: "It's so weird that they did Lead Actor in a Play at the top of the show but are holding all the other Lead categories for the final hour (like awards shoes usually do). Is it somehow less prestigious this year? Not enough stars? Strong at least seems popular enough they might have wanted to hold his possible win to later so people stayed tune."

I think they’ve been doing that with either Lead Actor or Actress in a Play for at least a few years. I think it’s their way of trying to hook the audience in with a major and (usually) star-filled category

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#6422024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:14pm

Love Kelli welling up over HRC.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#6432024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:15pm

MemorableUserName said: "It's so weird that they did Lead Actor in a Play at the top of the show but are holding all the other Lead categories for the final hour (like awards shoes usually do). Is it somehow less prestigious this year? Not enough stars? Strong at least seems popular enough they might have wanted to hold his possible win to later so people stayed tune."

Didn't they also do that the year Helen Mirren won? She was like 2nd award of the night I think. 

MemorableUserName
#6442024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:16pm

If they've done it before, I must have forgotten. I still think it's weird to announce one lead category two plus hours before/after the other.

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 10:16 PM

Peter Barker
#6452024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:17pm

Kad said: "This is a very weird and off-feeling ceremony."

The Tony Awards used to feel special, like Great Performances or Live From Lincoln Center. This is like watching Glee.

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#6462024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:18pm

Well Fvck. We have a Tornado Warning but the ceremony has been off for news for the last 10+ minutes.   So I guess no more Tony telecast for me….

Alex Kulak2
#6472024 Tony Awards

"Keep Marching" just gets me every time.

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#6482024 Tony Awards

Suffs performance…. Snore

PipingHotPiccolo
#6492024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:19pm

* what a year for plays-- id be happy with Jaja or French Republic taking this award even though its Stereophonics, but really just a strong crop.

* Adjmi broke my heart there. Hes right. And kudos to all of them for giving credit to Playwrights Horizons and the Off Bway teams taking these chances.

* did we know Hillary was going to be there and I forgot? Im star-struck from my couch. I felt Kelli Ohara in that moment.

* i hope Suffs sells tickets to tons of women across america with daughters. For all the speechifying about diversity and inclusion, this lineup of diverse women singing about true progressivism makes the point so much better. 

Videos