News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

bear88
#6002024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:39pm

There wasn’t much point in having Stereophonic perform if they were going to give them so little time.

OhHiii
#6012024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:39pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "OhHiii said: "WAIT. Is Suffs going to win best musical?! Book and Score?!"

Into the Woods,Falsettos,Ragtime,Parade,Urinetown, and The Drowsy Chaperonewould like to have a word with you...
"

Touché. The evening has just been surprising thus far. 

jagman106
#6022024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:42pm

bear88 said: "There wasn’t much point in havingStereophonic perform if they were going to give them so little time."

I agree. I was walking back into the room and didn't even realize they announced that they were performing. The cast was just there and I didn't think they came off very well. I am disappointed.

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 09:42 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
#6032024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:43pm

* Water for Elephants performance was really emblematic of the show itself- pleasant, exciting movement, grating score, Paul Alexander Nolan commanding the whole thing immediately upon appearance. I think it sold some tickets, but again, the camera work was strange and the acrobatics were hidden behind the dancers? 

* Stereophonics achieved very little with that performance. No intro, no build, just a minute of unexplained aggressive singing? What was the point?

* Everything about Radcliffe is a class act, and I really did think he was the highlight of the show when I saw it.

* Say what you want about Hells Kitchens flaws, both Sho and Kecia made the most of those roles, and hard to argue with Kecia deserving this as much as anyone else. A regal queen giving a (long) but perfect speech.

* Who is the adorable little kid on Sho Bean's lap?

* Couldnt get into Illinoise but it really so beautiful to watch these guys go and listen to these guys sing. Really undeniably beautiful.

* did the (i assume prerecorded) announcer botch Utkarsh's name? how is that possible?

* Shaina Taub is just a pure delight and that speech caught me off guard with the beautiful Talmud quote and dedication to Swados. I hope for so many more projects from her.

* Eddie Redmayne, nope. Nope nope nope. Make it stop. But I liked how they staged this up from the audience, and Rankin looks beautiful. That energy sells tickets, I'd think.

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 09:43 PM

gibsons2
#6042024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:43pm

Cabaret number was really good. Finally some high energy and spectacle from the performers. 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#6052024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:44pm

People are gonna come for me over this, and you're all entitled to feel how you feel, but I just don't see Illinoise as a musical at all and I don't agree with it being nominated for Best Musical. It's a ballet that happens to have live singers. It's an absolutely beautiful show, and their performance has 10000% been the best of the night so far, and I think it's something that everyone should see. But calling it a musical is a huge stretch.

And let the firing squad begin...

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#6062024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:45pm

Holey moley! What is Eddie Redmayne doing? Ugh! I’m all for a bold choice but lets ground it in some truth. That was a big miss for me. 

Dolly80
#6072024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:46pm

Robbie2 said: "Bette's Turban said: "That woman pulling her dressdown in the audience"

Sonia Friedman

"

Wait, what happened? I missed it!

Hairspray0901
#6082024 Tony Awards

PipingHotPiccolo said: "
* Who is the adorablelittle kid on Sho Bean's lap?”

Alicia Keys’ youngest son, Genesis. 

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#6092024 Tony Awards

ElephantLoveMedley said: "OhHiii said: "WAIT. Is Suffs going to win best musical?! Book and Score?!"

Into the Woods,Falsettos,Ragtime,Parade,Urinetown, and The Drowsy Chaperonewould like to have a word with you...
"

So many great musicals...

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#6102024 Tony Awards

LOVED LOVED LOVED Willkommen performance! 

Peter Barker
#6112024 Tony Awards

Whoever made the decision to film the music numbers so close should be punished. Cabaret was weak.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#6122024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:47pm

TheGingerBreadMan said: "People are gonna come for me over this, and you're all entitled to feel how you feel, but I just don't see Illinoise as a musical at all and I don't agree with it being nominated for Best Musical. It's a ballet that happens to have live singers. It's an absolutely beautiful show, and their performance has 10000% been the best of the night so far, and I think it's something that everyone should see. But calling it a musical is a huge stretch.

"

Would you have preferred it be nominated for Best Play? 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6132024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:48pm

TheGingerBreadMan said: "People are gonna come for me over this, and you're all entitled to feel how you feel, but I just don't see Illinoise as a musical at all and I don't agree with it being nominated for Best Musical. It's a ballet that happens to have live singers. It's an absolutely beautiful show, and their performance has 10000% been the best of the night so far, and I think it's something that everyone should see. But calling it a musical is a huge stretch.

"

Ya ya, you're a purist blah blah blah

Thank God for artists with vision and commitment to do what they have to do and not listen to those with Baby Boomer mentalities. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#6142024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:49pm

I don’t love this production of Cabaret, but I surprisingly enjoyed that performance. It helped that it had some of the best and cleanest camera work so far. Although I do hope one day a production of Cabaret will perform another number. I get why they always go with Wilkommen, but jeez

Dan6
#6152024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:50pm

bear88 said: "There wasn’t much point in havingStereophonic perform if they were going to give them so little time."

Went back and timed it during the commercial break. The snippet of “Masquerade” was less than 90 seconds. Seems the producers gave in to the demand for a Stereophonic performance…but not really. 

Rentaholic2
#6162024 Tony Awards

I'm all here for this Gutenberg bit.  I've said it and I'll say it again, these guys will star in a Producers revival one day, and it will be a hot ticket.  

gibsons2
#6172024 Tony Awards

"

Many people agree with you, they are just not on this board. Illinoise is just a slight higher quality ballet recital, completely lacking a book and character development. Its NOT a musical. Completely unearned nomination in the category it doesn't belong in. 

jagman106
#6182024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:51pm

What's Baby Boomer about that mentality? Boomers flocked to see Contact and Movin' Out, and both of those shows were told in dance.

bwayobsessed
#6192024 Tony Awards

Gad and Ranells should host

theatergoer3
#6202024 Tony Awards

Deserving win. 

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 09:51 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#6212024 Tony Awards

"

Revues, operas, and, yes, ballets have been placed in the musical categories so many times in the past. Some have even won the Best Musical and Best Revival of a Musical (and many other musical categories). I don’t see any issues with Illinoise being in the musical categories.

MemorableUserName
#6222024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:53pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "

* Stereophonics achieved very little with that performance. No intro, no build, just a minute of unexplained aggressive singing? What was the point?

It was a power (or a**hole) move by producers who didn't want them on the show, were forced to let them perform against their wishes, and gave them the bare minimum to do so to show who's boss.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#6232024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:57pm

Did I miss Andrew Rannells announced on the red-carpet he's out of Tammy Faye?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6242024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:58pm

HeyMrMusic said: "TheGingerBreadMan said: "People are gonna come for me over this, and you're all entitled to feel how you feel, but I just don't see Illinoise as a musical at all and I don't agree with it being nominated for Best Musical. It's a ballet that happens to have live singers. It's an absolutely beautiful show, and their performance has 10000% been the best of the night so far, and I think it's something that everyone should see. But calling it a musical is a huge stretch.

"

Revues, operas, and, yes, ballets have been placed in the musical categories so many times in the past. Some have even won the Best Musical and Best Revival of a Musical (and many other musical categories). I don’t see any issues withIllinoisebeing in the musical categories.
"

And moving artistic disciplines forward also means moving away from traditional structures.

People need to get over new and innovative ideas being included among the traditional.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos