pixeltracker

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread- Page 29

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread

mememe
#700Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/14/22 at 2:48pm

Seb28 said: "Globefan said: "https://ew.com/movies/cynthia-erivo-wicked-defying-gravity-singing-method/"

What she is trying to say is: I will sound like I have no interest at all in what I am singing, just like I have "sung" and "acted" all my previous roles. My style, without any efforts to sound like I mean it.
"

I first saw her on stage in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and was astounded by how bored she looked. I remember thinking ‘She’ll never work again’ and being astounded by her success. She has all the charisma of an empty tea cup 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#701Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/14/22 at 4:29pm

mememe said: "Seb28 said: "Globefan said: "https://ew.com/movies/cynthia-erivo-wicked-defying-gravity-singing-method/"

What she is trying to say is: I will sound like I have no interest at all in what I am singing, just like I have "sung" and "acted" all my previous roles. My style, without any efforts to sound like I mean it.
"

I first saw her on stage in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and was astounded by how bored she looked. I remember thinking ‘She’ll never work again’ and being astounded by her success. She has all the charisma of an empty tea cup
"

Hmm goes to show how dead wrong first impressions can be. I find her to be a very charming and commanding performer.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

mememe
#702Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/14/22 at 4:39pm

Valentina3 said: "mememe said: "Seb28 said: "Globefan said: "https://ew.com/movies/cynthia-erivo-wicked-defying-gravity-singing-method/"

"

"

Hmm goes to show how dead wrong first impressions can be. I find her to be a very charming and commanding performer.
"

For that to be the case my opinion of her would have had to change, which it hasn’t. I still find her to be a thoroughly mediocre actress, with an amazing voice that never seems to be connected to her physicality or emotion.

It is wonderful that you find her charming and I hope you to continue to do so, you however do not need to diminish another person’s opinion or declare it right or wrong, in order for you to have your own. 

Enjoy 

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#703Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/14/22 at 8:10pm

Valentina3 said: "She has all the charisma of an empty tea cup"

"

Have you seen her latest work on Pinocchio? An empty tea cup is a compliment for that performance. It really is the opposite of charming and commanding, and it shows that my 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th impression all stayed the same.

She is just not interested in what she sings or acts, in any case there is a huge disconnect. Her words and look in her eyes are not connected to her emotion whatsoever.

Updated On: 9/14/22 at 08:10 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#704Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/20/22 at 12:44pm

Another casting notice has gone out for the role of Nessarose, apparently. Here's the info and breakdown just in case anyone here knows potential fits for the role.

The WICKED movie is still seeking an actress for the role of "Nessarose" and the casting directors are seeking women of color who are wheelchair users (ambulatory and non-ambulatory).

Please note that although this role does sing, they do not need to have any professional training and we are open to people who are non-singers as well!

Please email danielle@dpdcasting.com with your name, city/state, phone number, email, headshot, and resume.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#706Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 1:10pm

This movie is going to start looking like dear Evan…casting is all over 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#707Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 1:20pm

WldKingdomHM said: "This movie is going to start looking like dear Evan…casting is all over"

What do you mean?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#708Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 1:31pm

NOWaWarning said: "WldKingdomHM said: "This movie is going to start looking like dear Evan…casting is all over"

What do you mean?
"

I think they mean age and readability, no doubt.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#709Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 1:36pm

Meh, this casting is all over the place. The ages don't line up and the two part movie just seems like too much at this point. 

Updated On: 9/21/22 at 01:36 PM

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#710Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 1:50pm

Bailey doesn't have any name recognition. I'm surprised they didn't go with someone bigger.

I agree that the two movies seems like a bad idea. Universal seems to be showing a lot of hubris, IMO, by treating this property as if it were a superhero or sci-fi blockbuster with mass appeal enough to sustain two movies. Wicked is popular by musical theater standards, but not on the same level as Tolkien, Marvel, or even Frank Herbert (Dune), and the cast so far isn't going to draw much buzz. If the first movie gets poor or even mediocre/mixed critical reviews (which, based on the campy source material, it very well might) and tepid audience response, they are out millions for the sequel that will likely flop.

Emma_Pillsbury Profile Photo
Emma_Pillsbury
#711Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 1:53pm

Seb28 said: "Valentina3 said: "She has all the charisma of an empty tea cup"

"

Have you seen her latest work on Pinocchio? An empty tea cup is a compliment for that performance. It really is the opposite of charming and commanding, and it shows that my 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th impression all stayed the same.

She is just not interested in what she sings or acts, in any case there is a huge disconnect. Her words and look in her eyes are not connected to her emotion whatsoever.
"

I feel the same way about Erivo's singing and her overall personality. I find her extremely off-putting. I'm not really a fan of hers. 

Sutton Ross
#712Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 1:57pm

Yeah, she's not great. Still confused on her casting here. 

pmensky
#713Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 2:41pm

I’ve seen bootlegs of this production, and Linzi is not singing this the way she used to, and that’s no compliment. I had to Google Jac Yarrow. I guess these two would be fine for Toronto, but no bueno for Broadway.

pmensky
#714Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 2:42pm

OMG. wrong thread. Sorry, I’m old.

bwayobsessed
#715Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 3:04pm

Did everyone complaining about Cynthia see Color Purple? I get her concerts/solo work aren’t for everyone but to say Cynthia doesn’t connect to what she’s singing after Color Purple is just factually wrong.

Also I’m here for the Jonathan Bailey casting. They’re all too old for college but that shouldn’t surprise anyone. Unless they were going to pull a Richard Linklater that was going to happen. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#716Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 3:43pm

I’ve never understood the hype around Erivo’s performance in Color Purple. Maybe I went on an off night but it was hammy to say the least. Optimistic but cautious for this casting. 

and I don’t see comparisons to Evan Hansen whatsoever. This is a fantasy movie, whereas DEH is very much trying to be a commentary on real life issues. It lost its point when it cast older. Here? I don’t care, who’s to say they go to college at 18 in OZ. 

Sutton Ross
#717Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 3:49pm

bwayobsessed said: "Did everyone complaining about Cynthia see Color Purple? I get her concerts/solo work aren’t for everyone but to say Cynthia doesn’t connect to what she’s singing after Color Purple is just factually wrong."

Sure did. She was wonderful in that and absolutely nothing since.  But, no one is "factually wrong" when it's a personal opinion. 

multimattvids
#718Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 5:04pm

Jon M. Chu has officially confirmed the casting of Jonathan Bailey as Fiyero via Twitter

https://twitter.com/jonmchu/status/1572692070695047169?s=46&t=OpCbDtnmi7L1qVZLEhqzsg

Updated On: 9/21/22 at 05:04 PM

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#719Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 5:17pm

I think he’s perfect.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#720Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 5:24pm

The timeline of Wicked spans, like…years. I don’t get why people get hung up on the ages. They are not supposed to be eighteen for the whole show.

jimmycurry01
#721Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/21/22 at 7:05pm

TotallyEffed said: "The timeline of Wicked spans, like…years. I don’t get why people get hung up on the ages. They are not supposed to be eighteen for the whole show."

Total agreement. That passing of time thing is hard for some people.

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#722Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/22/22 at 4:38am

jacobsnchz14 said: "The WICKED movie is still seeking an actress for the role of "Nessarose" and the casting directors are seeking women of color who are wheelchair users (ambulatory and non-ambulatory)."

Can somebody explain to me why color is important for this role?

Last month the casting call was "wheelchair users of any ethnicity". Why are certain ethnicities suddenly excluded? Has the story changed? Why stop searching for the best candidate in any color?

Updated On: 9/22/22 at 04:38 AM

pmensky
#723Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/22/22 at 5:17am

Seb28 said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "The WICKED movie is still seeking an actress for the role of "Nessarose" and the casting directors are seeking women of color who are wheelchair users (ambulatory and non-ambulatory)."

Can somebody explain to me why color is important for this role?

Last month the casting call was "wheelchair users of any ethnicity". Why are certain ethnicities suddenly excluded? Has the story changed? Why stop searching for the best candidate in any color?
"

Perhaps they cast black actors as her parents and the Wizard, and since Elphaba is black, it might be confusing to the audience if everyone in the family is black and Nessa is not?

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#724Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/22/22 at 7:50am

pmensky said: "

UMMMMM Isn't Elphaba green?"

Ummmmmm do I really need to explain the difference between race and a birth defect?"

No, but you should explain why that matters for fictional characters in a fictional world. Just like Ariel. Whose sisters are from different ethnicities too. Explain to me why race matters for fictional characters. And how the given "confusing" would translate to for example a new production of The Sound of Music, which isn't even fully fictional.

Updated On: 9/22/22 at 07:50 AM

Videos