pixeltracker

So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?- Page 3

So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#50re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 2:40am

Also, correct me if I'm wrong in my thought that Natasha Richardson was the original choice for Desiree, are we supposed to have believed that she was somewhere between 35 and 40? She was a stunning, striking woman, but I think she looked every bit of 45. She may have looked better at 45 than most of us will/did at 25, but nonetheless.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#51re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 4:41pm

is there any chance that she's going to be doing a play? I'm not super familiar with the plays this fall, but I was thinking it's not impossible.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 4:55pm

Honestly, if she says she's coming to Broadway in the fall that means the show would probably have been announced by this point and the only thing that she could go into I'm thinking is NIGHT MUSIC.

givesmevoice
#53re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 4:59pm

maybe she'll be Gertrude in Hamlet.

although I kind of think this is not the best idea ever.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#54re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 5:00pm

She may not have been referring to doing a play or musical...

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

givesmevoice
#55re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 5:02pm

is it bigger than a breadbox?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#56re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 5:03pm

I cannot believe people are really thinking it's ALNM, lol.

Jordan Catalano
#57re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 5:04pm

lol. I thought the OP said she said it was a Broadway show. If not than maybe she's just doing a few concerts. That'd be great, too.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#58re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 10:58pm

When she said that in the interview, my first thought was actually "Ragtime", perhaps as Emma Goldman.

That would be a REALLY small part for her, though. I highly doubt the project is ALNM. Could she possibly be playing Queen Gertrude in the Jude Law "Hamlet"? Finally, if not the Encores "Anyone Can Whistle" (which she may be doing anyway) it could also be the Encores production of "Girl Crazy".

And whoever out there said that LuPone would be a good Dolly, as much as I love her, that sounds like the worst idea EVER. Peters for Dolly all the way. (how overdue for a revival of that show are we? REALLY overdue.) I'd just be happy for any major NY production of Dolly.
Updated On: 7/13/09 at 10:58 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#59re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 11:04pm

All the roles in Hair.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Jordan Catalano
#60re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/13/09 at 11:04pm

Isn't Queen Latifah still eyeing the DOLLY revival?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#61re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/14/09 at 12:54am

i wasn't even aware there was a dolly revival in the works. I thought it was all just stupid speculation from nerds like us.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#62re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/14/09 at 1:06am

"lol. I thought the OP said she said it was a Broadway show"

The interviewer asked if she was 'returning to Broadway' and she said there was 'something exciting' happening that she 'can't talk about', IIRC.

There was no specifics.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#63re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/14/09 at 12:55pm

"All the roles in Hair."

Haha yes! She actually auditioned for the original production of Hair.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#64re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/14/09 at 12:59pm

I had a chance to watch "Theatre Talk" on PBS. Arthur Laurents was talking about Patti, Bernadette and Sam Mendes. I could have sworn he mentioned something about Bernadette and a play in the fall. Since I'm here..... I've been listening to XM Sirius Broadway. I love most of the artists.. but there worst (in my opinion) have been: Katharine Hepburn (love her ... acting), Lauren Bacall (she tries... but she won 2 Tonys with THAT voice?), "Summer Nights" (Grease) recent revival....ugh! so uninspired and Harvey Fierstein (I would love to see him act a role... but singing.... that's not singing.. that's croaking.)

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Jordan Catalano
#65re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/14/09 at 1:22pm

You're right! I completely forgot about that! Laurents said he was working on a new play with Bernadette Peters & Lauren Bacall (I believe) that was scheduled for the fall. But that was in CT, I think it was going to premiere.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#66re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/14/09 at 2:15pm

I haven't read this whole thread, but while Whistle sounds like something that could happen, isn't she supposed to be in the new C.M. Laurents play with Betty Bacal? That could happen in the fall.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#67re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/14/09 at 3:13pm

re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 7/14/09 at 03:13 PM

Jordan Catalano
#68re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/14/09 at 3:18pm

Damn, I was hoping for SIDE SHOW.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#69re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/14/09 at 3:50pm

So Bernadette is potentially going to do TWO of Arthur's shows in one season?! Poor woman, may heaven have mercy on her soul.

P

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#70re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 3:10am

Two?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

binau Profile Photo
binau
#71re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 3:13am

Anyone can whistle+play?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#72re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 8:05pm

ANYONE CAN WHISTLE + NEW PLAY (NEW YEAR'S EVE?)

P

Bway2010 Profile Photo
Bway2010
#73re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 9:21pm

I heard that Bernadette was doing a one night concert in November for Broadway Barks on Broadway so it might not be a show that she's doing.

givesmevoice
#74re: So what show is Bernadette doing in the fall?
Posted: 7/15/09 at 9:38pm

she could be doing a show and do the concert when the show is dark.

Videos