pixeltracker

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival- Page 3

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#50Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:26pm

As Michael Bennett so aptly put it, the role is not just about the vocal chops. It's all well and good to have sung a ravishing version of one of Fanny's songs, but as MB said, it really is about the unique qualities the actress playing the part can bring to the character.

And what people tend to forget is that the original production ran for a year and a half after Streisand left, with Mimi Hines playing the role. It wouldn't have stayed open that long if Streisand were the only thing going for it.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:28pm

I'd love to see Paolo Szot as Arnstein.
Mmmmmmmmmmm

bwayguy22089
#52Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:29pm

I second Nicole Parker. She has a small following from MadTV and from Wicked, which will help get the show rolling in the beginning (paired with the show's already famous title). I think she'd be great. She's a wonderful comedic actress (Have you seen her portrayal of Ellen?) and a wonderful dramatic actress (as seen in Wicked). She has an excellent voice... I don't know. I personally think she'd be wonderful.

silversurfer2
#53Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:31pm

I agree..Lea Michele is all wrong for this...for many reasons. IMO, why bother. Streisand was the definitive Fanny.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#54Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:35pm

The problem with the show is that you can't really skimp on either of the two things needed: a totally unique personality and someone than can sing that bitch of a score fabulously for 8 shows a week.

Brick
#55Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:48pm

Michael Bennett put it correctly in context, pointing out the uniqueness required. Also, the role is heavily comedic. Supreme vocal chops aside, Streisand was hysterical. And that's Brice.

I, too, am so curious as to who these "Hollywood types" are!!!

All said, I'm confident Sher will cast it well. I can't think of another director today who is so consistent in good taste.

CandiceElyse Profile Photo
CandiceElyse
#56Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:00pm

I disagree, I think Stephanie J Block would be a great choice, but thats just my opinion. I'm personally not a big Kritzer fan, so I really wouldn't want to see her cast. I do think Nicole Parker would be an excellent choice as well, she is hilarious. I feel bad for whoever is cast though, they have some big shoes to fill..and its going to be one of those casting decisions that delights half of the people on here and enrages the rest....it will be interesting for sure.

Judy Garland & Gene Kelly <3

#57Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:02pm

What about Idina?

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#58Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:09pm

Careful, Chicago Star! Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#59Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:21pm

Sher is such a serious director. Sounds like a miscast choice. And this production, IF it happens, is 2 years away. Cannot wait for the thousands of posts by thousands of fags to dissect every little thing of the show and who should do it.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#60Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:24pm

You don't have to wait ff - it's already started. Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#61Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:24pm

Nicole Parker cannot sing. Stephanie J. Block cannot act (and has as much stage presence as a toenail). Casting either one of them in this role would be a disaster.

Jordan Catalano
#62Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:34pm

Montego Glover?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#64Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:43pm

Crucify me, but I'm rooting for Idina.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#65Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:09pm

"...and someone than can sing that bitch of a score fabulously for 8 shows a week."

So TEAR DOWN that BITCH of a score and put a JUKEBOX MUSICAL WHERE IT OUGHT TO BE!!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#66Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:16pm

Thank you, Munkustrap, I thought I was the only one who doesn't like Lea Michele's nasally vocals!

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#67Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:20pm

fflagg, I don't know if Sher's necessarily serious. His productions of SOUTH PACIFIC and LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA both had moments of lightness. I feel like what I like about Sher is that he serves the material really well. I doubt he'll try to make FUNNY GIRL anything heavy or serious.

And we all know Seth Rudetsky was born to the play this role and will play this role at long last, so let it go and wait for the announcement.

Seriously thinking, though, can people think of anyone for this? In terms of being unique and different, I like Kacie Sheik. She's not a name, but I felt like she made a real presence in the HAIR revival.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#68Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:26pm

Can't picture Lea Michelle, Idina, or anyone for that matter playing this GO FOR AN UNKNOWN!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#69Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:30pm

My concern is less with the casting and more with the book. Doubtless they are going to have to do some sort of revision or re-tooling.

If they can strengthen the book, the success of the show might be a little less "star" dependent and the show can run long after with multiple Fannys.

Otherwise, at best, they'll have the same problem they had with the original production. Once "whoever they cast" leaves, the show doesn't work as well.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 06:30 PM

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#70Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:41pm

I vote for Kritzer. That woman's hilarious. However, I would like to see Anneliese van der Pol in the role....don't kill me...

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#71Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:41pm

I vote for Kritzer. That woman's hilarious. However, I would like to see Anneliese van der Pol in the role....don't kill me...

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
PauloFanClem
#72Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:44pm

I SO want to see Paulo tackle Arnstein! Since it's Sher who's going to direct, you think it's possible? I have so much confidence on Sher. His direction breathes in meaning with details to the material yet still maintains its original scent.

Jordan Catalano
#73Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:08pm

How about Kristen Stewart?

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#74Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:28pm

Ooh bjh, I like the idea of Farah Alvin...in any case she certainly has the vocal chops to carry it off.
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 07:28 PM

Videos