pixeltracker

Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney- Page 3

Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#50Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:17pm

Also Tangled had some pretty dark moments in it. The fact that Mother Gothel walked around with a knife stabbing people left and right, stealing children and damaging a girl self esteem, is not as light and fluffy as some may think. That being said there was a lot of Cotton Candy in the film.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#51Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:17pm

WHY?! Goodbye, sustenance.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#52Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:26pm

I'll cry if they cut Stay With Me. Wait and By The Sea were kept in Sweeney, but that was Burton. Marshall is very cut happy with his movie musicals. Only 7-8 stage song survived in NINE. And he cut My Own Best Friend, Me and My Baby, and Class in CHICAGO - 3 major songs.

WOODS is a really long show, so cuts will be inevitable. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out..... if this project really happens.

Updated On: 1/10/12 at 10:26 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#53Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

Any ideas about how they would approach the part of the narrator? Would it work to have him just talk to the audience?

They should do it the way The Princess Bride used the narrator- have someone telling the story to a child.

WHY?! Goodbye, sustenance.

This film is going to destroy the means of your livelihood?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#54Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

I think having the Narrator as a voiceover artist could be brilliant if they use the Giant to break the fourth wall at the end of the narration, reach offscreen and produce a kicking, screaming voiceover artist.

The stage doubling of roles doesn't necessarily matter for the film, I can almost guarantee. The Wolf won't be a prince, or rather, shouldn't be, because that doubling comes across as self-aware and "stagey" on film, whereas doubling as a more conventional convention in theatre.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#55Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:29pm

I will also be pissed if they cut "Stay with me", my favourite song!!

I think having the Narrator as a voiceover artist could be brilliant if they use the Giant to break the fourth wall at the end of the narration, reach offscreen and produce a kicking, screaming voiceover artist.

I think this would be funny, particularly if the narrator was famous/recognisable (as I'm sure they will be!) and unseen prior to that moment.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#56Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:30pm

I like the idea of an off-screen narrator, a la Winnie the Pooh. Gives it a whimsical aspect to the piece. They'd just have to be clever with how to remove him from the story.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#57Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:39pm

I can has Ian McKellen narrations?

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#58Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 11:13pm

Add me to the heap of people who are concerned about Marshall's abilities as a director.

As with 'Nine', I fear we will get a reduction rather than an adaptation of the stage show.

Marshall has a lot to prove if he wants to be taken seriously as an artist.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#59Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 11:31pm

Marshall is on record saying he does not believe movie musicals work unless the songs are imagined by the characters so yes, we do have reason to be concerned about this.

Starcarolina
#60Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 11:40pm

Some quotes from Wiki and Disney's philosophy and new "mission" statement are as follows:

"The Walt Disney Company expanded its existing operations and also started divisions focused upon theater, radio, publishing, and on line media. In addition, it has created new divisions of the company in order to market more mature content than it typically associates with its flagship family-oriented brands."

Further, "In June, the company canceled Jerry Bruckheimer's film project Killing Rommel. In September 2010, Disney Interactive Studios was downsized. In November, two ABC stations were sold."

And more,
"With the release of Tangled in 2010, Ed Catmull said that the "princess" genre of films was taking a hiatus until "someone has a fresh take on it  but we don't have any other musicals or fairy tales lined up."[19] He explained that they were looking to get away from the princess era due to the changes in audience composition and preference. However, in the official Facebook page for Disney, Ed Catmull stated that this was just a rumor."

There are many things involved in the selection of material for Disney to produce...the philosophy of the CEO of the movie division, the board of directors, and it is on the NYSE with some input from the stockholders. I don't know how they determine what is suitable content in the things they are involved in. Mature material is a nebulous term to me.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#61Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 11:41pm

I'm looking forward to it.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#62Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 11:52pm

I think John C. Reilly as the baker and an off-screen narrator as the giant are two really exciting ideas. Also, Catherine Zeta-Jones would make a great Act II witch, but I don't know that she can make a creepy witch voice for the ugly version of the character.

Marshall really fell flat in his direction of NINE, but I am getting more and more excited as I keep thinking about INTO THE WOODS. Hopefully the casting director will have had nothing to do with the LES MIS casting fiasco.

FindingNamo
#63Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 11:54pm

I'm a little over John C. Reilly's whole third-banana-on-"Top Cat" thing.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jordan Catalano
#64Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:02am

John C Reilly??? Are you guys in Atlanta smoking crack with Whitney Houston? Besides being way too old for that role, he has nowhere near the right kind of voice for it.

And I hate to be the one to throw out the "musical person du jour" for suggestions but as far as Cinderella goes, the obvious choice to me is Anne Hathaway.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#65Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:07am

John C Reilly??? Are you guys in Atlanta smoking crack with Whitney Houston? Besides being way too old for that role, he has nowhere near the right kind of voice for it.

Totally agree.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#66Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:14am

Updated On: 1/11/12 at 12:14 AM

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#67Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:21am

Will Hathaway want to do another musical project?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#68Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:28am

Can we get Kate Winslet as the Bakers Wife please?

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#69Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:34am

^ Kate winslet would be perfect. Can we just have Vanessa Williams as the Witch again?

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Jordan Catalano
#70Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:36am

GOD, NO!!!!!!!!

I'd rather Bruce Vilanch as the witch!

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#71Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 1:38am

Lea Michele for the cow.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

Jordan Catalano
pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#73Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 2:21am

How I wish Laura Benanti was young enough to play Cinderella. I wonder if she would even consider going anywhere near "Into the Woods" now.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

jimmycurry01
#74Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/11/12 at 2:32am

Kate Winslet as the witch would be amazing!

Videos