pixeltracker

Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW- Page 3

Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#50Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/20/12 at 11:47pm

I was at the second preview too, but I fell in the other camp loving Bennett. I'll give you that there was a bit of Hepburn in the speaking voice, but I thought her singing voice was dead on. I kind of liked that she didn't look and sound 100% like Garland. It made it feel more like a performance than an impersonation, which I think is important in these bio-plays.

I'm not a Garland fanatic (always liked Liza a lot more!), so maybe that contributed to my enjoyment. I was able to just sit back and go along with the story.

I realize the show is no great shakes, but it's a step above Looped. I thought Cumpsty was generally excellent in his role as pianist/symbol for all gay men. Tom Pelphrey was the weak link for me, both in his performance and being saddled with the least defined character.

Overall I was blown away by Bennett and, faults of the play aside, I enjoyed tonight. I'll probably be going back to catch her performance again later in the run.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/20/12 at 11:49pm

Do they sell "End of the Rainbow" pill boxes?

musicman_bwayfan
#52Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 12:07am

Any stage door reports?

MusicalMo
#53Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 1:45am

I just noticed this article on broadway.com written by the play's author... seems insightful and worth reading considering most of the conversation in this post so far...

http://www.broadway.com/shows/end-rainbow/buzz/160629/end-of-the-rainbow-playwright-peter-quilter-on-the-danger-joy-and-electricity-of-judy-garland/

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#54Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 6:31am

What's the show curtain like? Is it a big rainbow colored flag? Please post pics. Thanx!

abitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
#55Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 9:42am

Matt2...Paul Gems' "Piaf."

Not sure when Pam became Paul!

I saw the show in the UK on tour..and loved Bennett's performance more than the play. But if it wasn't for the play and the context it would be just another (albeit extraordinary) Judy impersonation (although I'm searching for a better word than that)

Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
#56Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 9:51am

Sorry, Pam Gems. I don't know why I wrote Paul!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#57Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 10:13am

I'm glad Whizzer pointed out the distinction here between a performance by an actor playing a character in a play verses impersonation.

I've seen what I consider to be the greatest Judy illusionist ever in the form of Jim Bailey and it was extraordinary and eerie to witness him conjuring the Garland magic, but thats not what Tracie Bennett is doing here. She has created her own unique depiction (much in the way Michelle Williams did in MY WEEK WITH MARILYN) that both honors the essence of Garland while also functioning as the leading character in a semi-biographical play.

Those pointing out that say Bennett's voice sounds more like "Hepburn" than "Judy" or are going into this expecting an impersonation are going in with the wrong perspective....

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#58Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:06am

...honors the essence of Garland...

It does?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#59Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 11:11am

I felt so, though I don't believe Garland's legacy should be canonized like some on this thread.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#60Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 5:27pm

I felt this play did not honor Garland.
It shows Garland at her worst, most pathetic and her lowest.
I chose not to remember her that way. I don't even want to think of her like this.

When I saw the Movie My Week With Marilyn.. at first I thought Michelle Williams was not Marilyn but as it went on Michelle caught an essence of Marilyn that was uncanny. I felt the same with Judy Davis in the tv movie-Me and MY Shadows

I did not feel that way with Tracie Bennett. Tracy Bennett does a great acting job of
portraying an artist who has reached bottom in terms of needing love and drugs---
but I don't feel as if she really captured Judy the way Michelle Williams captured Marilyn, the way that Judy Davis captured an essence of Judy. Her Katherine Hepburn and English accent kept getting in the way of Judy Garland for me.

The set was stunning and I love how the orchestra appears---I thought the evening was ok. My opinion only.

TheatreFan4Life
#61Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 8:51pm

I have to say that while I tend to love a good blog post, I am suprised at how mean and snarky many of these comments are. As a fellow theatre lover, I am thrilled when a new show opens and tries to communicate something new and fresh. I myself am not an avid Garland fan, nor do I have a lengthy frame of reference for many of the comments that have been posted here about other portrayals of her over the years, but that said, I was in the audience on the 2nd preview and found that while I may agree with some of the comments about wishing there were a deeper book in this script - I found the work being done in this lovely ensemble stunning. I can only imagine the sheer terror of what it must be to play an icon -- especially the darker more brooding sections towards the end on her life, and I think that End of the Rainbow is a brave exploration of some deeply troubling moments in the legacy that was Judy. I found certain scenes to be deeply moving, a few of the songs literally heartbreaking, and this remarkable cast should be applauded for their work. Bennett is remarkable - whether you think her flamboyant flair for Judy to be a bit over the top aside -- she delivers a gut-punch 2nd Act that had me holding my breath. The delicious Tom Pelphrey has one of the harder roles as Deans -- because he is painted as the villain -- but I found his performance to be very layered and quite intense, in a wonderful way. The band is fantastic, and many of the musical moments transported me to another time -- which alone was worth the price of admission. In what I think promises to be a lackluster year on Broadway, I can only say I am thrilled to have found a space at the End of the Rainbow that was both thought provoking and soulful. Congrats to a wonderful creative team for delving into the darker parts of the story which are so often overlooked and replaced by shiny distractions and fluff. I recommend seeing the show, if only to participate in what is sure to be a lively discussion at the bar afterwards. Enjoy!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#62Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/21/12 at 9:58pm

I'm glad to read your review. That is what I'm hoping to see! Going on Friday.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#63Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/22/12 at 12:47am

I was there this evening.

(For those who care: I got a rush ticket for $30 at about 4pm. Front row balcony. Beautiful seat. You see everything, and you get to see the glorious Belasco. I loved sitting up there, but most people moved down at intermission.)

Just a preface: I'm not a Garland fan. I know her work like most people would know her work - Wizard of Oz, some musicals, etc. I'm a "new age Gay" so she is not an Idol to me or someone I've done research on. I don't know if this show is accurate, etc....

The show is interesting. I found it to be both the best acting and the worst acting I've seen in awhile.

Believe what you hear about Tracie Bennett. She is amazing, stunning, etc. I found myself watching her at every moment. Her voice didn't bother me at all. I actually found her best moments to be the ones where she isn't speaking. Watching her walk across the stage in the background while the other two men are speaking and fixing her hose was just hilarious. She really has just thrown caution to the win and gone for it. If she doesn't win the TONY I would be really surprised.

The pianist guy - I don't remember his name off the top of my head - was fine. Good solid acting, nice character, and he has a great little moment at the end of the play with Judy which I did not see coming not knowing her history.

The man playing Mickey is just plain awful. That is some terrible acting. I've never been more aware of someone's blocking than while watching him. I would think to myself "Wow, that was a long cross" or "Wow, that was an awkward way to reach for the telephone." Nothing felt natural. I understand it's hard to compete with Bennett who is seriously living that character, but he made no choices. It was either talking loudly in a monotone or talking higher to convey anger. Just awful. He needs a kick in the ass or something before the press comes. I've never been so outraged as to witnessing his terrible acting.

But, the show is worth it to see Bennett and people were eating it and loving it. The play itself is a little weird at times. I always find "Epilogue" type things to be rather cheesy in a play. Most people know what happens to Judy, and I think they could have easily worked that bit into dialogue instead of having someone stand and deliver it. I thought the ending was strange. One would think it would end on the button of her song, but it has these awkward, weird extra couple of beats.

GO SEE IT. I think it might become a bit of a hot ticket.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#64Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/22/12 at 1:28am

I too was at this evening's performance; also in the balcony.

Tracie Bennett is marvelous. Her musical numbers alone are worth the price of admission, albeit your typical drag show without the script to accompany. But there were moments during her numbers that literally gave me chills. I haven't had to stop and catch my breath at a show since last season's sensational production of "The Normal Heart." She is stunning from lights up to final bow. Or in her case, final encore. I hope she wins a Tony.

Tom Pelphrey was indeed quite...static? I felt like some of his line deliveries were borderline first table read-worthy. I'm sure he will catch his groove soon enough, and he'll have to before Bennett mops the stage with him.

Audience seemed quite ecstatic to me. I also agree this could become a hot ticket once word-of-mouth catches on and reviews.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#65Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/22/12 at 11:42am

Yeah, it felt like they just gave him the script like two days ago. I know the director is an actor's director because he's pulled some great performances from people in the past, and obviously helped shape Bennett. Maybe he's just focused on Bennett and not the American actors.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#66Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/22/12 at 12:54pm

The actor who played the part in London was also underwhelming. Maybe it's the part.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#67Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/22/12 at 1:23pm

I was so surprised to see Sarah Uriarte Berry the standby for Garland! She's very talented, but I dont see her as Garland at all.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BWF Profile Photo
BWF
#68Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/22/12 at 2:29pm

I saw this last September in Cardiff. I was aware of the fantastic reviews the show and Tracie had received in London and as Cardiff was an easy step for me I went and I was so glad I did.

I thought it was a great show, a little slow at first but moving, funny and extremely touching.

Tracie Bennett turned in an incredible performance with an energy I won't ever forget.

I came away with the impression that she was channeling Judy. I've watched Tracie on British TV since she was a young woman but who knew what she was really capable of. An enigmatic live performer at the very least ...

What an exciting time for her and I hope it's the stuff of her dreams ...

The great thing with human brains is they're fanless, nice and quiet although I'm sure mine whistles a bit sometimes.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#69Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/22/12 at 7:58pm

Has this show announced a rush policy? If so, what is it? It doesn't seem to be listed on playbill.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#70Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/23/12 at 12:56am

Just back from the show. Tracie is fantastic, the play is not. It reminded me of "Looped". Several people at intermission said the same thing, as it is a fabricated snapshot of Judy's last weeks. In all honesty, I don't think will do well here. Yes, Judy was an addict, but its unflattering in an Enquirer kind of way. If the play were a well written drama that showed Judy as nuanced, I'd have liked it better. However it's poorly written. Judy crawling around and barking like dog was really a bit much and disrespectful to her legend.

Tracie is fantastic-she does not impersonate but embodies Garland and she stuns in the performance portions. Her energy and physicality is off the charts. She could get a Tony.

Tracie does stage door and is lovely. Funny, chatty and adorable with British accent and cheeky personality. I deeply respect her performance. She didn't write the terrible play.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

juggles
#71Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/23/12 at 2:28am

I took the dog scene to be displaying Judy's great sense of humour, which is said to have been fantastic; plus she was tipsy in that scene having come back from the clubs.
I don't think I'd like my offspring to watch a play about the 'other' side of me, after all, we don't usually let our children know about that....what goes on behind the scenes.

Updated On: 3/23/12 at 02:28 AM

BroadwayFan12
#72Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/23/12 at 4:09am

Looks like Audra and Jan have some competition.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#73Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/23/12 at 4:22am

Looks like Audra and Jan have some competition.

Tracie isn't up against Audra or Jan, because End of the Rainbow is a play with music, not a musical, thus she'd be in the Leading Actress in A Play category while Ms. McDonald and Ms. Maxwell would be Leading Actress in A Musical.

I love Judy, and while I'm not as utterly obsessed as some, I'm very interested in seeing the show.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

BroadwayFan12
#74Just back from END OF THE RAINBOW!
Posted: 3/23/12 at 7:39am

Oops, my bad.

Videos