pixeltracker

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!- Page 3

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#50Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/7/17 at 12:52am

BroadwayConcierge said: "ozjust4 said: "I think Taylor Louderman would likely be a featured actress for Mean Girls. Cady is the lead."

You could be right, but they've been doing some advertising that says things like, "Eva Peron. Mama Rose. Every great musical has one." That leads me to believe they're writing Regina as a lead role, but we'll have to see!
"

Concierge has a point. I mean the show IS called "Mean" girls. Cady's the nice one, so I'd totally be down for Regina being the Lead (or the co-lead, which is probably more likely). And I cannot see Elsa being bumped down to Featured, that's just so... wrong. But the way award season shapes up will probably decide if the producers would want folks from the same show to be competing against each other like that. I'm still pissed that not one of the Fun Home ladies took away the Tony award.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

willrolandsframes
#51Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/7/17 at 7:16am

CindersGolightly said: "Betsy will certainly nab her first nomination this year - I don't know if it'll be a win. We'llhave to see who is up against her in the featured category."

Wouldn't she be up against Renee? I feel like Renee Fleming of all people would be a lock for a nom and have a much better chance at the win than Betsy would.

I think Best Actor in a Musical will be a ridiculously good race. Josh Henry, Tony Shalhoub, and whoever is cast as Henry Higgins will be solid candidates for the win and it's hard to tell who wins right now.

It's going to be incredibly hard to gauge most of the Musical categories until we discover the MFL cast. For all we know, they could bring in someone like Lauren Worsham who would easily win that Tony. They could also bring in someone like Philippa Soo who will garner a nom but not the win. If they go with an unknown? Who knows.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#52Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/7/17 at 11:14am

Valentina3 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "ozjust4 said: "I think Taylor Louderman would likely be a featured actress for Mean Girls. Cady is the lead."

You could be right, but they've been doing some advertising that says things like, "Eva Peron. Mama Rose. Every great musical has one." That leads me to believe they're writing Regina as a lead role, but we'll have to see!
"

Concierge has a point. I mean the show IS called "Mean" girls. Cady's the nice one, so I'd totally be down for Regina being the Lead (or the co-lead, which is probably more likely). And I cannot see Elsa being bumped down to Featured, that's just so... wrong.But the way award season shapes up will probably decide if the producers would want folks from the same show to be competing against each other like that. I'm still pissed that not one of the Fun Home ladies took away the Tony award.
"

Ruthie Ann Miles was still deserving of the award...

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MadsonMelo
#53Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:07am

Forget everything I said about Rylance, Andrew Garfield is winning everything.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#54Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 10/17/17 at 7:45am

I honestly think it's going to be Ethan Slater vs. Joshua Henry for Best Actor.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#55Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 10/17/17 at 10:55am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I honestly think it's going to be Ethan Slater vs. Joshua Henry for Best Actor."

In other words, Josh Henry is winning Best Actor

Updated On: 10/17/17 at 10:55 AM

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#56Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 10/17/17 at 12:29pm

CindersGolightly said: "Oh, how thrilling would it be if it was Betsy against Caissie? That would be so "SMASH" it would hurt."

Don't worry about that pain. Katrina Lenk is going to win the Tony for Leading Actress in a Musical.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#57Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 10/17/17 at 12:31pm

Joshua Henry for Best Actor is the “lockiest” performance award prediction right now, IMO. 

ChiTheaterFan
#58Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 2:21am

After seeing The Band’s Visit tonight, I have to think it will win score. (I would hope best musical as well, but I know Frozen will be a commercial powerhouse...) 

But it got me thinking,,, how many shows will really be up for score, as it stands now? I assume Frozen is the songs from the movie, so it wouldn’t be eligible would it?  And I’ve seen people mention Escape to Margaritaville, but weren’t most of those songs preexisitng as well? I know Jimmy Buffet wrote a few songs specifically for the musical, but isn’t it a small percentage, and if so, would it be eligible?(I saw it, but I don’t know much about Jimmy Buffett, so I don’t know what was new for sure, but based on the singalongs I’m guessing not much.). So other than that, that leaves what... Mean Girls and Spongebob?

i would love to see Katrina Lenk win too.  Too many best actresses from revivals recently... I’d love to see someone win who created a role. 

[ ETA:  that being said, I’d be hard pressed to point to one of those actresses whose tony wasn’t well deserved.]

Updated On: 12/8/17 at 02:21 AM

BroadwayConcierge
#59Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 2:30am

A month and a half after my above post, I'd like to amend it to say—now that I've seen her in The Band's Visit—that Katrina Lenk for Best Actress is the "lockiest" award. A truly legendary, masterful performance. 

ChiTheaterFan
#60Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 2:44am

When she sang “Omar Sharif” my heart melted into a puddle. I don’t think it reformed until I had to get up and walk out of the theater. That was the moment the show went from good to great for me. 

Clyde15
#61Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 2:59am

I assume Frozens score will be eligible, a ton of new material is in place in the show, plus they don’t use all of the music from the movie. I believe 7 out of the 20ish songs in the musical are also in the movie.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#62Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 3:02am

Not that I've seen Carousel or My Fair Lady (obviously), and I hope they're both great, but it would make me so happy if Once On This Island takes Best Revival. Such a beautiful show. ...And another example of why there should be a Tony for vocal arranging.

Also, can someone who knows the rules clarify the number of nominees for Best Musical/Play/Revival based on the pool? I feel like there are so few musicals this year... could we see only three nominees in both of those categories? For new there's Band's Visit, Escape to Margaritaville, Frozen, Mean Girls, Prince of Broadway, and SpongeBob; and for revivals, just Carousel, MFL, and OOTI. Am I missing any?

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#63Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 7:02am

My predictions:
BEST MUSICAL:
THE BANDS VISIT

Frozen

Spongebob

Mean Girls

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL:

CAROUSEL

My Fair Lady

Once on This Island

BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

JESSIE MUELLER - CAROUSEL

Lauren Ambrose - My Fair Lady

Hailey Kilgore - Once on This Island

Katrina Lenk - The Bands Visit

Hopefully Taylor Louderman - Mean Girls (They need to give her better material)

BEST ACTOR IN A MUSICAL:

Ethan Slater - Spongebob

JOSH HENRY - CAROUSEL

Tony Shalhoub - The Bands Visit

Henry Haden-Patton - My Fair Lady

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A  MUSCIAL:

Lea Salonga - Once on This Island

Ashley Park - Mean Girls

Kate Rockwell - Mean Girls

LINDSAY MENDEZ - CAROUSEL

Patti Murin - Frozen

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL:

Grey Henson - Mean Girls

NORBERT LEO BUTZ - MY FAIR LADY

Jelani Alladin - Frozen

Alex Newell - Once on This Island

BEST BOOK:
MEAN GIRLS

The Bands Visit

Spongebob

Escape to Margaritaville

BEST SCORE:
Mean Girls

THE BANDS VISIT

Spongebob

BEST SCENIC DESIGN:
Frozen

SPONGEBOB

Mean Girls

Once on This Island

CHOREOGRAPHY:

MEAN GIRLS

Once on This Island

My Fair Lady

Carousel

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#64Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 11:01am

There is no way Patti Murin is going to be considered a Featured Actress for Frozen. She is the lead, along with Caissie Levy.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#65Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 11:05am

I'd rather see Merle Dandridge or Kenita R. Miller nominated over Lea Salonga.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#66Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 2:15pm

ozjust4 said: "There is no way Patti Murin is going to be considered a Featured Actress for Frozen. She is the lead, along with Caissie Levy."

Then there is no way she will get a nomination 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#67Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 3:27pm

JudyDenmark said: "Not that I've seen Carousel or My Fair Lady (obviously), and I hope they're both great, but it would make me so happy if Once On This Island takes BestRevival. Such a beautiful show. ...And another example ofwhy there should be a Tony for vocal arranging."

AnnMarie Milazzo, the vocal arranger for Once On This Island, has been credited with orchestrations along with Michael Starobin. I imagine she will be deemed eligible with Starobin for Best Orchestrations (and presumably be the first vocal arranger to be up for the award).

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#68Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 3:50pm

Jessetenny said: "ozjust4 said: "There is no way Patti Murin is going to be considered a Featured Actress for Frozen. She is the lead, along with Caissie Levy."

Then there is no way she will get a nomination
"

I’ve seen people say Elsa is a more featured role. So I wonder if Patti will be considered lead with Caissie go into Featured.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ChiTheaterFan
#69Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 3:59pm

Clyde15 said: "I assume Frozens score will be eligible, a ton of new material is in place in the show, plus they don’t use all of the music from the movie. I believe 7 out of the 20ish songs in the musical are also in the movie. "

Thank  you!  I did not know that. 

Bronxfan
#70Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 4:00pm

Don’t forget Diana Rigg - I know the role of Mrs Higgins is non-singing but Rigg should be wonderful.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#71Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 4:09pm

Renee Fleming is going to get at least a nomination for Supporting Actress. I think Diana Rigg might slip in too. I'd love to see Phillip Boykin nominated. His performances are consistently great. Gavin Lee is also likely to recieve a nomination. I don't think Mean Girls or Frozen will recieve as much love as is predicted above. The Band's Visit also has several standout supporting male performances.

BroadwayConcierge
#72Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 4:14pm

GeorgeandDot said: "The Band's Visit also has several standout supporting male performances."

I think Ari'el Stachel is the likeliest of those amazing guys to get a nomination. Followed (probably), in order, by Etai Benson and Adam Kantor.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#73Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 4:18pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "GeorgeandDot said: "The Band's Visit also has several standout supporting male performances."

I think Ari'el Stachel is the likeliest of those amazing guys to get a nomination. Followed (probably), in order, by Etai Benson and Adam Kantor.
"

John Cariani could slip in as well.

I'd like to see Phillip Boykin get nominated too.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#74Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!
Posted: 12/8/17 at 7:34pm

I would be genuinely thrilled with any of the supporting cast from Once On This Island getting nominated, but my standouts were Merle Dandridge, Phillip Boykin, and Kenita R. Miller. I also thought Isaac Powell was particularly great in the often overlooked role of Daniel.

Videos