News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Titanic at City Centers

smidge
#50Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 10:38pm

ggersten said: "So is the cameo (spoiled by a BWW video) going to be the same person every night?"

It was also spoiled by City Center on their Instagram story. This cameo seems really unnecessary.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#51Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 10:41pm

Hey, Zelda! said: "MezzA101 said: "A Glorious ‘Titanic,’ Returned From the Depths

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/12/theater/review-titanic-encores-city-center.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zE0.ThUR.n91CgcI5-x_N
"

Unable to make it, so

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
could someone spoil how they stage the collision?

"

they don't

there is no collision, no iceberg, no tilting stage, no water, no flames

theatre of the imagination :)

bigbelterbaby
#52Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 10:43pm

There will be a celebrity cameo each night. Tonight was Jesse Eisenberg 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#53Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 10:53pm

bigbelterbaby said: "There will be a celebrity cameo each night. Tonight was Jesse Eisenberg"

Gotta think this is a ploy to get more butts in seats if it’s selling poorly. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#54Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 10:54pm

I really enjoyed this tonight. I mean, I REALLY enjoyed it. A pretty perfectly cast evening and sung just gloriously. 

I did take issue with one thing though - the ending. I'm sorry but for me, that was just horribly staged and lost any and all emotional impact the scene has. It's hard to beat the original ending and really, I don't understand why productions just don't do it that way or adapt it like say, The Signature did. For me (again, FOR ME), the survivors wrapped in their blankets looking at the ship ready to depart and then mixing with those who died, dressed as they did ready to depart as the orchestra plays, just can't be beat. And here the entire cast just turned their backs to the audience while the music played and that was that. And I know I know I know it was a "concert", I'm just sayin. 

But other than that - just glorious. 

And I'll tell you this, I'm only seeing this once more and if Jake Gyllenhaal is the cameo one night that I'm not there you're gonna hear me screaming from Hells Kitchen. 

Updated On: 6/12/24 at 10:54 PM

Voter
#55Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 10:56pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Hey, Zelda! said: "MezzA101 said: "A Glorious ‘Titanic,’ Returned From the Depths

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/12/theater/review-titanic-encores-city-center.html?unlocked_article_code=1.zE0.ThUR.n91CgcI5-x_N
"

Unable to make it, so

could someone spoil how they stage the collision?

"

they don't

there is no collision, no iceberg, no tilting stage, no water, no flames

theatre of the imagination :)

"

Are there any gunshots/loud noises in this production? I went on NYCC website and didn’t find anything about content warning.

Also, I am see this show next Saturday and I am hoping there will be a celebrity cameo 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#56Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 11:12pm

I think they should get Leonardo DiCaprio for the cameo!

My daughter who was there tonite (June 12) said they did announce Eisenberg prior to the show but he was not on the call board. So, not a complete surprise cameo. It would have been something had they announced "At this performance, the role of Man Missing the Boat will be played by Jesse Eisenberg" but apparently, the announcement used a character name. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#57Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 11:20pm

Get Marla Mindelle in full Céline costume for the cameo!!!

Oh look, a bibu!

Penna2
#58Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/12/24 at 11:58pm

Delete

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 11:58 PM

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#59Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:05am

Penna2 said: "There is an audio bootleg on YT of Act 1. "Unsinkable Ship New York City Center 6/11/24.""

And if you're being that explicit about it, why not just post a link?! It won't be there much longer now....

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#60Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:06am

bigbelterbaby said: "There will be a celebrity cameo each night. Tonight was Jesse Eisenberg"

Who was it Tuesday night?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Tsao5
#61Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:49am

It looks like this is the FULL-with the Millionaires/The Major/Yates and Cardozza restored. Looks like Evan Harrington is probably playing one of them. For those who saw it, is that correct?  Are the books scenes with the Millionaires back in such as when they are together on the deck after their wives have left the ship on the lifeboats and the smoking room scenes?  I am not a fan of the "ensemble version" at all and if this is in fact the full version, boy that would be great. Also, is the Wake Up Wake Up song back in? Thanks for any info. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#62Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 1:07am

There was no cameo at the dress or at the opening night performance. I have not heard that there will be a cameo every night but I thought Peter Stone was alive and at the dress so I very well could be wrong. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#63Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 1:07am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Get Marla Mindelle in full Célinecostume forthe cameo!!!"

I thought it was a bold directorial choice for Chuck Cooper to invite us to sing along to a reprise of Lady's Maid "because most of you are GAY!" but I respect it!

Penna2
#64Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 1:43am

Delete

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 01:43 AM

MemorableUserName
#65Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:56pm

Tonight's guest was Victoria Clark

https://x.com/NYCityCenter/status/1801422713258422569

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#66Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:56pm

here we go with the: WHEN IS THIS TRANSFERRING TO BROADWAY?!?!?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#67Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:49pm

Tsao5 said: "Also, is the Wake Up Wake Up song back in? Thanks for any info."

I am not super familiar with this show, so grain of salt, but I saw it tonight and there was a song called Wake Up Wake Up that opened Act 2.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#68Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/13/24 at 11:54pm

I appreciate a well-done gimmick as much as the next person, but in this specific show it feels a LITTLE too schticky. 

itsahopi
#69Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/14/24 at 12:20pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I appreciate a well-done gimmick as much as the next person, but in this specific show it feels a LITTLE too schticky."

I believe this bit was written for the original to cover a set change, so I get why they wanted to make it something fun for the concert version without cutting it altogether. I get it feeling schticky with Eisenberg but I loved seeing that Victoria Clark did it.

Jordan Catalano
#70Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/14/24 at 12:26pm

It’s one of the few “light” moments of the show, I don’t see anything wrong with having a bit of fun with it 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#71Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/14/24 at 12:44pm

Jackson McHenry’s review for Vulture is 100% spot-on, in my opinion: https://www.vulture.com/article/theater-review-encores-titanic-musical.html

MemorableUserName
#72Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/14/24 at 1:17pm

itsahopi said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I appreciate a well-done gimmick as much as the next person, but in this specific show it feels a LITTLE too schticky."

I believe this bit was written for the original to cover a set change, so I get why they wanted to make it something fun for the concert version without cutting it altogether. I get it feeling schticky with Eisenberg but I loved seeing that Victoria Clark did it.
"

Exactly. It also moves faster and is over sooner without the scene change to cover. There's video of the original production on YT. It was even schtickier (if that's a word) because the person in the original really had to milk it to cover the scene change. The lights go down on the opening number at 17:17; they don't go up on the next scene until nearly a full minute later. Meanwhile, Clark got through it in 20 seconds; Eisenberg in 35.

Updated On: 6/14/24 at 01:17 PM

Ensemble1686998462
#73Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/14/24 at 9:37pm

Saw this last night on the balcony second row near the middle. I was very satisfied with my seat; I saw both sides of the stage very clearly. I couldn't see very far back under the orchestra, but I don't feel like I missed anything (not sure anything was even happening back there anyway). 

I went into this completely blind. I knew nothing of the original production and never heard a single tune from it. I went because of the cast. I never went to a "concert version" of a show either, but I didn't have any problem with it. I was fine with using my imagination to fill in any blanks. Overall, I was very happy I went. Everyone was uniformly fantastic. The highlights of the evening for me were, Victoria Clark's cameo which I thought was hilarious, the third-class passengers talking about what they wanted to be when they got to America and Alice Beane sneaking into first class. 

I will say though that three people on one side of me left after intermission and never returned. And on the other side they were talking during intermission to each other about having a hard time caring about any of the characters because there were so many and none of them had in depth backstories or stood out as "true leads". And on the way out someone expressed a little disappointment there was no sinking ship. I guess you can't please everyone. lol 

Updated On: 6/14/24 at 09:37 PM

Jordan Catalano
#74Titanic at City Center
Posted: 6/14/24 at 11:16pm

No celebrity guest tonight 

Videos