pixeltracker

Scores lowered to fit certain actors?- Page 3

Scores lowered to fit certain actors?

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#50re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:34pm

Is Susan Egan's version of "Cabaret" in the original key on her solo album "So Far..." or is it the lowered version she sang in the revival?

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

rufussars Profile Photo
rufussars
#51re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:50pm

Interesting topic. I've always wondered how willingly an arranger or music director would transpose a song, mainly if it was a segue from a previous musical piece. This could cause a lot of awkward modulations in any show. But, I'll put in my two cents. In the "ITW" revivial, in addition to Mary Louise, I seem to recall that huge chunks of the Witch's music was dropped for Vanessa's mezzo-alto voice.

...And so, there I was at the stage door for "Equus". The enthused avalanche of "Harry Potter" fans was literally pushing me into the barricades. As I was thrust face-first into Daniel Radcliffe's hat, I suddenly felt the thumb of a lanky gentleman behind me pressing firmly into my back. It was then that I realized that both of his hands had Playbills, and that both arms were outstretched in front of me...

gavrochegirl
#52re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 10:58pm

I forget if the score was lowered or was made higher for Colm Wilkinson when he got the role of Valjean in Les Miz. But the score was altered just for him in some way.

What the puck?!

Bialyhoos22
#53re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/2/06 at 11:21pm

With regards to a comment made by a previous poster regarding Howard's keys being raised in Phantom, I don't believe that to be true. I don't believe they've ever altered the Phantom's keys in any US/Broadway production of the show. I know Crawford's original replacement, Timothy Nolan was a phenomenal bass-baritone and went into the show assuming Webber would lower the keys to suit his voice, but the production flat out refused to do anything of the sort and he went on to sing the entire score unchanged. In an interview I read, Nolan described the period as being terribly frustrating and miserable. Perhaps a real Phan could shed more light on this?

I know all of Nathan Lane's songs were lowered anywhere from a half-step to a whole-step lower (depending on the song) than the original key.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#54re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:24am

oy i'm glad its a regular practice professionally...unprofessionally they forced me to hit notes in LES MIS that i could never hit and i did some damage...

Joshua488
#55re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:33am

Yeah, I don't think Howard McGillin had any keys raised for him in The Phantom of the Opera.

Also, I don't recall Christina Applegate singing anything differently; I thought they kept the original keys in Sweet Charity.

bella cantato
#56re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:41am

I'm pretty sure a few songs were lowered for Scary Spice in Rent. It didn't help her much, though.

And also, I don't think they lowered ALAYM for Joey Mac and Taye, I think they just changed the notes he sang so that it was a different harmony...

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#57re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:42am

Bialyhoos--

I read the same Timothy Nolan interview as you, I believe (actually, that's where I got my icon--it's Nolan as Sweeney Todd). I imagine that if they weren't going to change the keys for someone who was completely the wrong voicetype for the Phantom that they certainly wouldn't do it for someone who could sing it comfortably.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#58re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:51am

I am pretty sure they changed the keys for Uma Thurman in The Producers movie, and for Rosairo Dawson in the RENT movie too. And Sarah Jessica Parker in Once Upon a Mattress they re-orchestrated the whole score for her.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#59re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:56am

Some points...

I dont think Howard McGillin had the keys raised. I mean the A flat top note sits about right for either baritone/tenor performers. Perhaps its just a case of Howard's vocal timbre "tricking" you into thinking its higher? Listen to his I Wont Send Roses on the London Mack and Mabel. They either added a modulation near the end or its such a contrast between his voice and Robert Preston.

There are alternate harmonies or whatever in As Long As Your Mine. They even print them in the sheet music. However I believe they wrote the big "dancing through LIIIIIIFFFFFFFFE" down from a top A to a F after San Francisco.

Is Benjamin really singing in a lower key for Sweeney? Anthony is not exactly tenor range! Victor Garber was the original right? From what it was in the UK tour recently and from listening to the cast recording I cant say I notice a change. However I stand to be corrected and not betting my life on it!re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?

dancnqn5 Profile Photo
dancnqn5
#60re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 2:02am

In regards to Betty Buckley singing the lowered keys in Sunset Blvd., I recall her saying (although I may be mistaken, it's been known to happen) that singing the lowered key wasn't exactly her idea and that she could definitely sing the original key (why they didn't let her do it is beyond me).

And as for Benjamin in the Sweeney revival... I'm not incredibly familiar with the recording for the revival, but yes, Victor Garber was the original Anthony. And having just done the show as Johanna, I'm more than familiar with the Anthony music and at some points, it is tenor stuff. Not as high as Tobias, Beadle or Pirelli, but it still sits relatively high. That being said, I know that Anthony's Johanna is given in 2 key in the score, so the actor playing Anthony (along with the production team) can choose which one sits better. So it's fully possible Benjamin is singing a different key than the original recording, but it has in no way been lowered for him specifically.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#61re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 2:46am

They lower keys all the time in musical theater.

I remember when "Live From Lincoln Center" broadcast "Little Night Music" with Regina Resnik as Madame Armfeldt. In an interview, she commented on how all the reviewers commented on her "whiskey baritone" with "Liasons."

She wondered that maybe next time they could raise the key of her songs, as you would wonder if you could get the Pope to perform your gay marriage. And I remember thinking that they lower keys all the time in musical theater, it's just in opera that they rarely do...

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

mathewbrock Profile Photo
mathewbrock
#62re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 3:15am

The copy of the RAGTIME score I have lists certain songs in "Audra's Key" and, in the back included alternate keys.

bella cantato
#63re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:27pm

They def did NOT change the keys for Rosario in the movie... I mean if you can't hear that the keys are the same on your own, then play the songs simultaneously or one right after another and you'll see...

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#64re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 1:26pm

Are you sure? I thought I remember reading somewhere that "Without You" was lowered half a step, and I think it's the only song that was lowered. Listening to the OBCR and the Movie Soundtrack simultaneously you can hear that Rosario's singing lower.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#65re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 2:04pm

Regarding Christina Applegate :

I am no musical expert, but I once sat down by my piano and matched Christina's notes on the piano, and then Gwen's notes. At times Christina was just like a half-step/whole step up from Gwen, nothing major.

Christina may have sang the keys originally written (not sure), but she definitely didn't sing all the Verdon keys.

Zachary Goldfarb
#66re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 4:48pm

what about keys when eden espinosa was out for brooklyn the musical?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#67re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 5:01pm

Some of the songs were definitely transposed up for Applegate - "I'm The Bravest Individual" for sure - in my musical theatre class last semester two of my good friends did the song and she practiced with the Applegate recording, but the piano music was in the Verdon key and she had issues till' she got the OBC (which will benefit her in the long run, being one of the best recordings of anything ever.).

When Ella Logan was in "Finian's Rainbow" everything was WAY lowered.

And, as I think someone said earlier, every Dolly I've seen has sung the songs in a different keys, though on some songs the keys are the same, for ex., when I saw Victoria Clark do Dolly, she sang the Streisand version of 'So Long, Dearie', 'I Put My Hand In' in the Mary Martin key (whose apparently are the standard?) 'Motherhood' in Channing's key, etc.

On the recordings I've heard, Patti LuPone, Eileen Brennan, and Ethel Merman all sang the "Anything Goes" score in different keys.

bella cantato
#68re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 9:07pm

thejcm, you are totally right! sorry about that. when i listened to them, i forgot about without you. but yeah, it sounds like it's a half step lower.

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#69re: Scores lowered to fit certain actors?
Posted: 6/3/06 at 9:12pm

A few weeks ago, Betty Buckley was on sirius and she told the story of Sunset Blvd, and as dancnqn5 said, they lowered the keys for Glenn and kept them the same for Betty

Videos