Fave movie musical?

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#50fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 7:44pm

JustaBroadwayBaby, there hasn't been but there were talks of making one in London. I think it would work really well, I love that movie. Only problem is I think it might be too late. There are die hard fans of Moulin Rouge, but I get the feeling that if they dont have Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman reprise their roles, tickets would be hard to sell because people don't seem to be interested anymore. Besides, I don't think Nicole Kidman would really be up for singing in front of people. Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody, but I think she said that she didn't like singing in front of large crowds?

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

lostgirl
#51fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 7:47pm

I'm one of the few people who really wasn't thrilled by Chicago I'd go with these as faves:
West Side Story (it's my all time favorite musical so how could it not be a favorite movie?!)
Sound of Music
Carousel

I think that Moulin Rouge was wonderful exploration of what the musical can be on film that it can't in the theater.

JustABroadwaybaby2
#52fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 7:50pm

But I mean Broadway is taking all these movies that had no signing and making them into musicals, so why not one that actually had songs?
Whatever. Chicago was good, and I love Catherine Zeta-Jones.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#53fav movie musical
Posted: 11/12/06 at 7:55pm

Broadway's done that several times with such shows as Gigi, Singin' in the Rain, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (and some others, I think), and it's never worked out too well.

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#54fav movie musical
Posted: 12/23/06 at 10:48pm

Moulin Rouge Rent and Phantom are my favorite.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#55fav movie musical
Posted: 12/23/06 at 11:18pm

Singing In The Rain

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

galindagirl2 Profile Photo
galindagirl2
#56fav movie musical
Posted: 12/23/06 at 11:26pm

Ooh! Good question! I thrive on movie musicals. Hmmm...

1. Sound of Music (I will always be faithful to this one, because Julie Andrews was one of my biggest inspirations to pursue musical theater).
And then, in no particular order..
Singin' in the Rain, Mary Poppins, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Prince of Egypt, Beauty and the Beast, For Me and My Gal

Oh! And The Preacher's Wife! Does that count?

snl89
#57fav movie musical
Posted: 12/23/06 at 11:30pm

I think Chicago and Moulin Rouge are probably the best MADE movie musicals I've seen- just in terms of over all effect. The performances in them were just astounding (Catherine Zeta-Jones is... a goddess, basically), and the cinematography and all that stuff were just flawless. And the choreography in chicago was incredible. Also, chicago wins for being the SMARTEST movie musical made. And by that I mean, they found the PERFECT vantage point by making all the musical numbers figments of Roxie's imagination. That allowed them to do SO MUCH more than the could have gotten away with otherwise. And I think it also made people who wouldn't ordinarily like movie musicals accept it.

That said, I think I probably have the most ATTACHMENT to RENT :) its just.. sentimental reasons. The fact that I'm so attached to the cast, the fact that I'm so attached to the story of Jonathon Larson, all that stuff. But I really do think it was amazingly made as well.

and my favorite CLASSIC movie musical is Sound of Music. You really cant beat it. Its amazing.

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 12/23/06 at 11:30 PM

strelimyn Profile Photo
strelimyn
#58fav movie musical
Posted: 12/23/06 at 11:32pm

- Chicago (Catherine Zeta-Jones = love)
- Rent ... cha (it could have been better, but I still love it - as snl89 said "sentimental reasons")
- Sound of Music - a classic

sumladfrompa.tumblr.com

AtLeastIveBeenThere Profile Photo
AtLeastIveBeenThere
#59fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 1:06am

(1) sound of music
(2) wizard of oz
(3) singin in the rain
(4) disneys beauty & the beast
(5) mary poppins

chicago was great, and if Dancer in the Dark counted, i might vote that top five.

Having just a vision's no solution.
Updated On: 12/24/06 at 01:06 AM

being.jeremiah
#60fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 2:19am

The Sound of Music and Moulin Rouge, then and now.

I remember whenever I was sick in grade school, I'd stay in bed and watch multiple runs of Sound. Hahahaha, oh my Julie.

Muhlethaler
#61fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 8:05am

EVITA! EVITA! EVITA! EVITA!

bwayondabrain
#62fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 8:20am

FUNNY GIRL (most favorite)
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
CHICAGO
and EVITA

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#63fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 8:39am

Cabaret
Chicago

The Wizard of Oz

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Mattbrain
#64fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 8:43am

Fiddler on the Roof
Hair
Little Shop of Horrors
Chicago
The Phantom of the Opera
Rent
The Producers
Dreamgirls...will shortly be added to this list

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

wickedlywildrent Profile Photo
wickedlywildrent
#65fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 8:59am

Definently RENT. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it's the first musical that I ever saw and I just LOVE Idina Menzel to death.

theaterlover45 Profile Photo
theaterlover45
#66fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 9:07am

Chicago

Lizzya9
#67fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 9:13am

All Disney Film Musicals
Chicago
All ABC TV movie musicals, like Annie and Mrs. Santa Claus

LaurenB
#68fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 10:00am

This one's a toughie. After reading the responses, I think I have to go with "moments on film", where if the movie is playing on TV while I'm channel surfing, I have to wait for the particular "moment" to watch:

West Side Story - love the America rooftop number

Hello Dolly - parade number

Top Hat - I find Fred Astaire utterly charming as he's singing "Isn't it a Lovely Day"

Oklahoma - June is Busting Out All Over, love the dancing (do I have the right musical? it's at the train station)

Kiss Me Kate - Too Darn Hot number in the recent filmed play

Kiss Me Kate - older film, I think it's the Tom, Dick, Harry number, love the dancing

The Pirate - love the number where Gene Kelly is dancing with the Nicholas Brothers (sp?)

Funny Face - worth it to watch Audrey Hepburn in the beatnik cafe

My Fair Lady

MimiLovesRoger Profile Photo
MimiLovesRoger
#69fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 10:31am

I have tons, but some of the top are Rent, POTO, West Side Story, Grease, Singin' in the Rain, Chicago, etc...

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#70fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 11:45am

XANADU!!!!!!!

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#71fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 11:57am

singin' in the rain.....duhhhhh

sondhead
#72fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 12:04pm

Dreamgirls is definitely #1 (no joke--wait till you all see it)

But close seconds are Chicago, Sound of Music and Evita.

*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
#73fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 12:26pm

*West Side Story
*Oklahoma (I grew up watching this)
*Chicago
*Moulin Rouge
*Little Shop of Horrors (amazing!)
*Phantom of the Opera
*RENT (for the "sentimental reasons" as described by snl89)

Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)

Wild Roses
#74fav movie musical
Posted: 12/24/06 at 12:29pm

movie musicals:

Top Hat....really any Fred and Ginger movie
Funny Face
Singin' in the Rain
Meet Me in St. Louis
Moulin Rouge

stage-to-screen musicals:

The Sound of Music
The King and I