pixeltracker

Grade the Tony Musical Performances- Page 3

Grade the Tony Musical Performances

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#50re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:38am

I guess it's just me, but I couldn't stand the Company performance. Raul can do no wrong, of course, but two glaring issues left me fuming:
1) The beginning half of the song had apparently decided to go out for burgers.
2) Where was the rest of the cast!? [I know this had already been covered, but still...]

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#51re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:40am

SPRING AWAKENING an F? Come on. I know you don't like the show, but the performance was commendable.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#52re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:42am

ok, i'll give it a C (just for you Munk)

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#53re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:46am

A Chorus Line - A-
I didn't think it was too bad. The headshots of the presenters was kind of clever.

Curtains - B
Not bad, but not great either.

110 in the Shade - A
That woman amazes me. 'Nuff said.

Mary Poppins - B
Mildly entertaining.

Company - A-
I'm used to Patti's version of the song, so I was a little underwhelmed, but he is obviously insanely talented.

Grey Gardens - A-
She did seem tired, and not very "Edie," but it's Christine Ebersole. She's phenomenal anyway.

Spring Awakening - A
Lyric changes were a little weird, but I liked it. Lea was AMAZING. Probably my favorite performance.

Jersey Boys - D
That was weird. And stupid. Especially the little part after they spoke.

Fantasia- C
I thought she was a little boring.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#54re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:27am

110 IN THE SHADE - A (odd choice, but ex performances)
COMPANY - B (missed the rest of the cast)
A CHORUS LINE - C (not as good as the 1976 Tonys)

GREY GARDENS - A (Very funny even if she wasn't in great voice)
CURTAINS - B (not as exciting as it wanted to be)
SPRING AWAKENING - C (failed to communicate much of the show)
MARY POPPINS - D (surely POPPINS should have some magec to it?)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#55re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:35am

Wow. I mean, I'm not saying that everyone should have been like "OH MAN! SPRING AWAKENING! A+++!" but I'm surprised how most of you feel. I didn't think the censoring was "lame" at all. I thought it felt a little more "in-your-face-FCC! We're still doing the song you totally hate".

That's my opinion though....yes, I'm biased. I thought it was great though. Great for sales at least. Plus, seeing Gallagher actually IN "Totally F'd" was pretty exciting.

croft
#56re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:31am

A Chorus Line- B

Curtains- B

110 in the Shade- B-

Mary Poppins- B

Company- B

Grey Gardens- B-

Spring Awakening- C

Fantasia- A+

It seems a lot of these reviewers are acting as if Fantasia never actually performed , well she did and she performed well

Updated On: 6/11/07 at 03:31 AM

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#57re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:38am

A Chorus Line- A

Curtains- B+

110 in the Shade- B+

Mary Poppins- A

Company- B

Grey Gardens- C+

Spring Awakening- C-/D( Afterwards all my friends said "That's what won?")

Fantasia- A

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#58re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:33am

I very much enjoyed the "Curtains" performance. It was my favorite afte "A Chorus Line". Spring Awakenings performance seemed a bit chaotic. Maybe it was the camera work during Totally F***ed. It wasn't that good. I did not see Curtains but I did see Spring Awakening last year. I got the feeling that they were excited and wrapped up in the excitement of the night and weren't quite focused. It looked like John Gallagher's attention was diverted slightly by something (maybe the applause)while he was doing his solo part of Bitch of Living. He seemed to lose it for a bit but got back on track. The girls nailed Mama who Bore me.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/11/07 at 04:33 AM

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#59re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:36am

A Chorus Line - A-

Curtains - B+

110 in the Shade - A

Mary Poppins - B-

Company - B

Grey Gardens - B+

Spring Awakening- A

Fantasia - F

Jersey Boys - C-

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#60re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:59am

I guess it's just me, but I couldn't stand the Company performance. Raul can do no wrong, of course, but two glaring issues left me fuming:
1) The beginning half of the song had apparently decided to go out for burgers.
2) Where was the rest of the cast!? [I know this had already been covered, but still...]

Did it get fries with its burgers? And shakes, too?

Despite the lack of cast, it was a solid performance on Esparza's behalf. I'd give it a B+.

Curtains - A/A+

Spring Awakening - C

110 in the Shade - A+

Grey Gardens - B

Jersey Boys - D-/F

Mary Poppins - B+

A Chorus Line - B-/B

Fantasia - B

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

One Song Glory
#61re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:08am

110 in the Shade - B+
Audra McDonald was brilliant, very funny and enormous stage presence

A Chorus Line - B
It wa good, a nice performance, but it was very predictable

Company - B+
Raul Esparza it amazing, I enjoyed watching his solo act

Curtains - B
I liked it, it's a great song for the Tonys, it's Kander & Ebb, and David Hyde Pierce is great, but just not my kind of musical

Fantasia - B+
I felt that she gave a great performance, you could see her lips quiver

Grey Gardens - A
It's hard to top Christine Ebersole

Jersey Boys - C+
I just didn't really see their purpose there, and it was only an okay performance to me

Mary Poppins - B
Lots of good spectacle, traditional for a Disney musical, and the performances were great, even though some of the staging was wierd and some of the costumes were random

Spring Awakening - A
I'm kind of biased since I'm a fan of SA, but this was my favorite performance of the night, the energy was incredible, the songs sounded amazing, and I actually liked that they covered their mouths during "Totally F*cked" to show that they were supposed to say something bad, even if it looked a bit silly, but I really liked their end pose

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

TommyTunesSon
#62re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:22am

I loved all of the musical numbers except for one: the Mary Poppins number was a total snooze, I drifted right out during it. Favorite was Spring Awakening, no surprise there!

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#63re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:53am

It all seemed terribly... ordinary. I mean, c'mon: the CHORUS LINE bit was tired. CURTAINS chose a number that made it seem like a dull show with a cookie cutter score. SPRING was just... weird. COMPANY looked like a bad Billy Joel number. MARY POPPINS looked like a bad edit of three numbers thrown together (Loved that naked statue guy dancing with the little boy...)

Frankly, nothing look all that special. And that's a pretty sad comment about theatre these days.

http://docandraider.com

thesinger
#64re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:09am

A Chorus Line- A

Curtains- C

110 in the Shade- B

Mary Poppins- B+

Company- A-

Grey Gardens- B

Spring Awakening- D

Broadway_Life_101 Profile Photo
Broadway_Life_101
#65re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:25am

A Chorus Line- C

Curtains- A-

110 in the Shade- A-

Mary Poppins- B+

Company- B-

Grey Gardens- A

Spring Awakening- B+

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#66re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:11am

A Chorus Line- A+
I loved that they incorporated two songs in the openingn and that Marvin Hamlish(sp?) was involved.
Curtains- C
That number bored me to tears. Everytime I've seen that show on tv performing I honestly have less and less desire to see it. Its such a boring song and the choreography is tired.
110 in the Shade- B+
Mary Poppins-A-
The medley was very good although the transitions from song to song were weak.
Company-A+
Really enjoyed the different orchestrations that they used last night. It was nice to see him just standing there and singing as opposed to playing the piano.
Grey Gardens-A+
Beautifully done. Although Christine sounded hoarse, she was still (as always) on top of her game! Perfect!
Spring Awakening-A

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

burntplains Profile Photo
burntplains
#67re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 10:02am

uhh.. I think Rauls performance saved the show from closing..
Company A+

Grey Gardens A (god I loved it but I wish they had the whole cast)

Curtains B-
I really wasn't impressed... I've only heard tha and one other song and I found myself wanting to like it more than I did...

Chorus Line A+
I think it was really fresh and exciting

110 in the Shade B+
I love that song

Mary Poppins C+/B-
Bitch didn't fly

last but not least
Spring awakening... C
I think i'm just still bitter about it winning.. But we all knew it would! ughh

Spacedog78 Profile Photo
Spacedog78
#68re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 10:34am

A Chorus Line- A

Curtains- A

110 in the Shade- C

Mary Poppins- C

Company- B

Grey Gardens- C+

Spring Awakening- A-

sundaymorning6am
#69re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 10:57am

is anyone going to put these performances on the "forbidden" site?

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#70re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:08am

I'm grading these from the perspective of someone who was physically there in the orchestra.

A CHORUS LINE B+: Great opening: I was actually excited for it to start.

CURTAINS B-/C+-I don't love the show anyway, but that stupid song reminds me of "There's No Business Like Show Business".

110 IN THE SHADE C (BORING!!!!)

MARY POPPINS C-I wish I had taken that bathroom break during this.

COMPANY A-

GREY GARDENS A Christine delivered a BRILLIANT matinee yesterday that I adored. It was the BEST performance I've seen out of all the times I was there and that's many, folks. Her performance at the Tonys wasn't helped by the mike system going haywire, either.

SPRING AWAKENING B-While I don't love the show, the performance was halfway decent.

JERSEY BOYS B+ I like them. The only "tourist" musical I really enjoy.

FANTASIA B+ Man she's good. She was a little TOO LOUD but very good acting ability.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Virgo
#71re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:12am

"It seems a lot of these reviewers are acting as if Fantasia never actually performed"

IMO, this is actually good. There comes a point when one can begin to become "over exposed". They highlighted her throughout the entire show by showing photos of her at what seems like every other break. She got the last performance (which is a privileged spot), very nice introduction and killer lighting (that really should win an Emmy, the whole thing was just put together beautifully). Broadway toasted her beautifully last night and I like how slickly they did it by covering it up as to not make that totally obvious. Too funny.

But anyway, she's received total praise for her run on broadway, praise that none of us expected when she joined TCP, they have totally treated like she has originated this role. Now it's time to move on to something new. I just don't want her to be over exposed for doing the same thing like some others are known for because that can kill a career just as fast as it builds it up.

110 in the Shade - A

Spring Awakening - A

Fantasia - A+

Grey Gardens - A

Mary Poppins - B

Jersey Boys - F- (horrible even the dance steps were all off)

A Chorus Line - A

Company - A

I hope I didn't forget anyone.

ashley0139
#72re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:12am

Huh. I must have seen a different performance of Fantasia's. Her voice just grates on me to no end. And I still think Idina and Taye's look was of horror and not enchantment, or whatever.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#73re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:15am

A CHORUS LINE B-

CURTAINS B

110 IN THE SHADE A

MARY POPPINS B

COMPANY A+

GREY GARDENS B+

SPRING AWAKENING C

(Did Gallagher Jr. sneeze or suddenly have a twitch. What was Groff singing? Why so much Lea Michele and so little Groff? Why sing TOTALLY F****D when you can't really sing it? Too many weird lyric changes. )

Virgo
#74re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:18am

"Huh. I must have seen a different performance of Fantasia's. Her voice just grates on me to no end. And I still think Idina and Taye's look was of horror and not enchantment, or whatever."

Listen, we don't need to turn this into a Fantasia "bashing" thread. Not everyone is going to love her and not everyone is going to hate her either. Give her an F and move on. LOL!

However, no can deny that she lived a dream last night and they highlighted her beautifully.

Videos