pixeltracker

Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT- Page 3

Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT

rentrocks27 Profile Photo
rentrocks27
#50re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:42am

I thought she was wonderful! I think being on TV can give you more flexiblity to sound more pop or add your own flare--especially since it was sung as a "tribute." And she was goregous last night.

AlanAntonio Profile Photo
AlanAntonio
#51re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:49am

Those who say that she did not "belong" at the Tonys are dead WRONG!!! One of the objectives of the telecast is to showcase Broadway talents and get people to come to Broadway and see a show. Fantasia's performance was THE performance of the night! Watch how people will flock to the Broadway Theater in the coming days and weeks because of Fantasia's brilliant rendition.

JoshuaEads Profile Photo
JoshuaEads
#52re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:56am

Virgo, my first thought after seeing that picture was, "When did Fantasia go into 'Evita'?!" Great shot! And, yes, I loved her performance last night.

My lip gloss is poppin'...

jimnysf
#53re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:01pm

Those who say that she did not "belong" at the Tonys are dead WRONG!!!

No. It is you that is DEAD WRONG. The Tonys are there to honor and showcase shows from this past season. Not from the season before. If they wanted to do that, then there should have made it a theme show and honored past shows. Using your logic, "Hairspray" should have gotten to perform whenever they had a celebrity in the show. She didn't belong and neither did "Jersey Boys".

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

dream on
#54re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:02pm

AlanAntonio-

I love your quote from the other thread:

"Listen to the lyrics. It's about triumph over adversity. It's about living and claiming your place in the world!"

Some want to know why Fantasia was crying - all I can say is go see the show and you will understand what this song means. And if you think this is brilliant wait to you see her in full in the show.

Also- The song was cut for time -In its entirety, the song has a beautiful melody. It is about 5 minutes long during the show.

And my rating is A+. Fantasia is an incredible artist-singer, entertainer, actress. She can do it all. And last night was just one small part of what Fantasia can do.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#55re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:12pm

It's not just that song. She cries every time she sings.

What's her problem?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#56re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:24pm

"My only quibble with the performance was the constant grabbing of the microphone that was in front of her. Left hand switching to right hand, and so on."

I guess that comes as a result of being a singer and the whole American Idol thing.

"Defend it all you want but she didn't belong on the show "

Well she was and the Tony's are now over so get over it.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#57re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:37pm

She was Flawless!!!

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#58re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:45pm

Undeniably the highlight of the evening.

I really have never been a fan of hers but she makes my heart melt when she sings that song. She is so real and present and in the moment. She gives me chills.

I love that she has a real emotional connection to the final lyrics "I'm thankful for loving who I really am... I'm beautiful and I'm here." Some of us have to remind ourselves of that sentiment daily.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#59re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:06pm

Firstly, Fantasia was incredible. Really the standout of the evening. Looked great and really delivered vocally and emotionally. Definitely makes me want to revisit the show and see her in the lead.

Secondly, I just don't understand all the griping about who did or didn't "belong" there! The Tony Awards SHOW is a celebration of live theatre ... yes, the awards are focused on the specific shows of one season, but it need not limit the scope of performances. Why can't past winners perform? Why not a critical and financial success like Jersey Boys? I think the SHOW would, if anything, benefit from more performances. It is only in recent years where only the nominated musicals and revivals were the sole performers. TONYs past included great star numbers like Nathan Lane & Gregory Hines doing a medley of great female songs, Bernadette and Liza duetting, Chita & Gwen reuniting to honor Kander & Ebb, etc., etc. Would you say those ladies didn't belong bc they were irrelevant to this year's season?

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

TheatreDiva90016
#60re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:06pm

Because it's a cheap 'American Idol' tie in. These folks are not Broadway Icons like Liza, or Chita. She's some "of the moment" pop singer.

How you can compare the two, I'll never know.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#61re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:10pm

i must say, she did pretty good, the best ive seen her perform the song on TV that is.

but i feel id have to see the show to really see her knock the song out of the park, because it still was only "okay" for me watching it on TV.

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

rgaywrites Profile Photo
rgaywrites
#62re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:10pm

I'm fascinated by this idea that Fantasia "shouldn't" have been on the Tonys telecast. Awards shows always have celebrities perform and do other things. As much as we all love Broadway, I think you're delusional if you think that many people watching the telecast are more familiar with most Broadway stars than someone like Fantasia. One way to connect to the rest of the world, is to feature people with (for better or worse) a broader appeal. Her performance was enjoyable. It was a bit overwrought but she did a great job. I would have loved to see Legally Blonde and LoveMusik perform, but Fantasia wasn't taking their place. It wasn't a one or the other situation.

MissPB
#63re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:14pm

"It's not just that song. She cries every time she sings.

What's her problem?"

It's not a problem...it's just an "attitude of gratitude"...if you have ever been down and didn't think you could pull yourself back up (you'd cry). If you've ever been abused - mentally, physically, verbally, emotionally and finally broke free (you'd cry). If you've ever been discriminated against and then finally found acceptance (you'd cry). If people dislike without ever having took the time to get to know the real you (you'd cry). This is what "I'm Here" embodies.

Sometimes crying is not because your sad...actually with Fantasia, I think it's from pure joy.
Updated On: 6/11/07 at 02:14 PM

JoshuaEads Profile Photo
JoshuaEads
#64re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:35pm

Well put, MissPB.

My lip gloss is poppin'...

AlanAntonio
#65re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:39pm

That would be limited thinking if the Tonys were merely to honor the past season's performances and shows, in general. The Tonys are a celebration. I am NOT wrong. Why do you think they enlist Hollywood actors - some of whom do not even have a Tony nomination - as presenters? For ratings - the obvious answer, but not to be short-sighted, it's to drum up interest on Broadway. One of the themes last night was "there's a little bit of Broadway in everyone." They even had a baseball player say it. They are enticing people to come to Broadway. So there.

Updated On: 6/11/07 at 02:39 PM

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#66re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:50pm

All the elitism on this board is blinding. The theatre really will be dead if we don't stop excluding people from being apart of it's community. I believe that wherever you come from, whatever your background, if you come to the theatre and do well enough to add something substantial to then by all means-welcome.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

InTheKnow2
#67re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:51pm

I am not sure if this has been brought up but there is one major factor we seem to be ignoring- ratings. CBS plays a major role in who gets to preform and regardless of how the public felt about Fantasia's performance, it was the networks attempt to boost ratings. Announcing the fact that an "Idol" winner would be performing perhaps got some viewers to tune in.

Having this season's time slot be more of a challenge due to the Sopranos, it was a smart business move no matter how you look at it.

xbRadxx Profile Photo
xbRadxx
#68re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:52pm

I'm gonna give her a 6/10.

wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
#69re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:05pm

xbRadxx I'd like to see a performance you'd call a ten then...

I thought she was fabulous, but it was a bit said because I'm not sure the audience received her very well....the camera was on taye and idina and their applause seemed polite yet reserved, overall it didn't seem like the kind of ovation she would've received had she been in the original cast. I do think it's a bit inappropriate that she sang a song that Lachanze won a tony for, though. But I must admit I loved every bit of it...well minus the "yeahs" interjected into the lyrics hahaha)

How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

AlanAntonio
#70re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:11pm

Amen to TonyaFanatic!

TheatreDiva90016
#71re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:13pm

"xbRadxx I'd like to see a performance you'd call a ten then... "

Geez, xbRadxx just did what was asked and rated the performance.

The problem is that the Fantasia fans can't seem to grasp that not everyone cares for her.

Get over it.

AlanAntonio
#72re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:18pm

I agree that she was grateful I think she's been really overwhelmed by the response she's received from audiences and the Broadway community. She was genuinely appreciative and moved by the outpouring of kindness and approval from an undeniably talented community of artists.

peaceone
#73re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:38pm

"The problem is that the Fantasia fans can't seem to grasp that not everyone cares for her."

lol you are funny believe me by now we Fantasia fans know how you feel..now on to the performance, just beautiful so much passion she was just so perfect from her amazing vocals to her beautiful gown..

Taye Diggs seem so overwhelmed by her performance.

TheatreDiva90016
#74re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:40pm

Then tell me,

how do I feel?

Videos