pixeltracker

Movies that could be Broadway musicals- Page 3

Movies that could be Broadway musicals

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#50re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 8:55pm

I'm surprised they haven't made Clueless: The Musical yet. Probably won't happen due to the fact that it would be exactly like Legally Blonde.
I would have loved to see it done, though.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#51re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 8:56pm

Kind of OT, but I remember around the time when Moulin Rouge first came out a few friends of mine tried to convince me with all their might that it was a Broadway musical before it was a movie.

I've always been a huge advocate for Prince of Egypt as a stage musical. Besides that, I'm rather bored with the whole trend.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#52re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 9:17pm

Americanboy-Devil Wears Prada took a whole thread when someone decided it would make a good musical. I tend to agree with the consensus.
IMO-it would indeed work. (I have my biases as to who should be Miranda, LOL-Ebersole! Fierce in that role.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

LondonSean
#53re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 10:28pm

I agree that original works seem more worthy, but rehashes can be fun.

I second Bullets Over Broadway. And Little Miss Sunshine could be done with some thought and effort, anything can be ‘done’!

May sound silly, but what about some kind of James Bond musical? I’d also like to see a David Lynch musical, but not on Broadway, an art piece for a small cast or an opera (image that, Lynch to music, crazy). But someone really is doing an opera of Lost Highway in London, but I would want Lynch to actually write it and collaborate with a composer.

How about Dr Strangelove (a comedy!) or The Third Man (incorporating some of the original music perhaps?). The Graduate even.

Strange that I can’t really think of any modern films.

G_Schlozinski2
#54re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 10:44pm

re: " i love that thing you do "

why, thank you, dear! that's so sweet of you!

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#55re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 10:54pm

Labyrinth!

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#56re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 12:08am

Funny Face: I thought I was the only one who thought The Prince Of Egypt would be amazing on stage! It's great to know that I'm not the only one.

Oh, and I also thought of another great movie that should be turned into a musical- ELF (The Movie with Will Ferrell in it)!!

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

G_Schlozinski2
#57re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 1:08am

ELF is a great movie?
says who?

Keelay
#58re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 1:27am

Anastacia.

Cruel_Sandwich
#59re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 1:33am

How about SICKO THE MUSICAL?

MrsVampyre
#60re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 1:33am

Anestasia... as in the Disney movie? No offense. but isn't there way to much Disney on Broadway now????

TheKryptoniteKid Profile Photo
TheKryptoniteKid
#61re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 1:49am

I'm sorry, but any films that require elaborate special effects, such as:

STAR WARS
LORD OF THE RINGS
SPIDER-MAN
ALADDIN

are doomed as musicals. As far as I'm concerned, most of the effects for MARY POPPINS, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and LION KING were dreadful. Some ideas just aren't meant for the stage. There are so many good ideas that can be done well.

And so, I nominate WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE. Bring on the rat!

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#62re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 2:34am

What about Grease 2? Corny 80's movie just like Xanadu, but look at how great Xanadu is on stage!! It could work...

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#63re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 2:42am

I saw a stage version of GREASE 2 complete with songs at the Yale Cabaret, about 5 years ago. Small space, small cast, creative staging. It was very entertaining, actually.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#64re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 9:08am

Drop Dead Gorgeous. (Off Broadway Maybe)

I watched The Devil Wears Prada again the other day, and I realized how easily it could be musicalized.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#65re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 11:43am

Anastasia is not Disney. But even if it was, who cares? A good show is a good show.

Den Profile Photo
Den
#66re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 11:53am

Anastasia (animated) wasn't a Disney movie. Think it was Fox...

My picks:

One of the John Hughes teen comedies. I actually saw a musical at the Toronto Fringe last week that lifted its plot from Pretty in Pink. Didn't work, but Sixteen Candles or Ferris Bueller have more energy and might work.

Star Wars is obviously a bad idea, but Mel Brooks should do Spaceballs which enjoys more current popularity than any of his other movies.

I second The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Disney's Aladdin (and I think the effects in Lion King are fantastic, BTW).

The Commitments.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#67re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/16/07 at 3:54pm

Yes, I did enjoy ELF, it had me laughing my A** off!!

Anyway, I thought of another movie that would be fun to see on stage... but there might be a few problems that would need to be addressed before the transfer from Movie to Musical. Anyway, how about Rockadoodle?! One of my favorite movies growing up. Tell me what you think of that one!!

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#68re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/17/07 at 9:07pm

Am I the only one who thinks Gone With the Wind would be great on the stage? Come on, I can even picture the cast.

Scarlett: Lea Michele
Melanie: Sutton Foster
Mammy: Roz Ryan
Rhett: Sebastian Arcelus
Ashley: Patrick Wilson
Aunt Pittypat: Patti LuPone

I know you. I know you. I know you.

G_Schlozinski2
#69re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/17/07 at 10:03pm

ok, but... ELF was a great movie?
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 10:03 PM

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#70re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/17/07 at 10:16pm

Myra Beckinridge

G_Schlozinski2
#71re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/17/07 at 10:24pm

but seriously folks:

book --->> film --->> musical?

Perfume

G_Schlozinski2
#72re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/17/07 at 10:27pm

re: Myra Breckeridge

Myron might actually be more fun than Myra...

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#73re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/21/07 at 2:13pm

Valley of the Dolls: The Musical...
Starring Rachel York, Sara Gettlefinger, and Kelli O'Hara

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#74re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/21/07 at 3:30pm

Gone With the Wind would work, IMO. But for Scarlett, I think Lea Michele would be so miscast. I think Sutton Foster might be better.
And for Aunt Pittypat-not Patti-she's not diminutive in nature at all. All wrong for the role. I think you need a small, timid type. (don't quite know who-the person in the movie was exactly as described in the book.)
Much of the other casting seems good-you might want someone a little older for Rhett-he's supposed to be older than Scarlett.
But, Sutton would be great for Scarlett, IMO.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Videos