pixeltracker

Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway- Page 3

Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway

robin3 Profile Photo
robin3
#50re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 2:39am

Tracie mentions in her blog that the final performance will be filmed and shown in theaters, so we may be able to see her performance in that form. Congrats to Tracie!

Me2 Profile Photo
Me2
#51re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 3:12am

I have to say, Winston has a point. BroadwaynSeventh2 - Its very immature to jump on someone because they're hesitant to believe something that hasn't even been officially confirmed. And why get so defensive anyway?

There was also no need for the use of the word "retard". In my opinion, that was completely uncalled for and many people would consider that offensive.

Personally, I'd rather see Merle in the last performance over Tracie but thats just my opinion.

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#52re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 8:30am

Am I the only one who’s a little put off by this “all star” final RENT cast? They’ll be amazing I’m sure, but part of what made the original RENT cast so special was the fact that they were a bunch of 20 year old struggling artists playing 20 year old struggling artists. After Scary Spice, Neil Patrick Harris, Tamyra Grey, Joey Fatone, and whatever other crap stunt casting the shows had over the years wouldn’t it have been great to come back to a fresh group of 20 year olds? In general I don’t support non-equity tours, but I have to say the best casts of RENT I’ve seen have been the non-equity tours. I think young artists who are struggling to make it, waiting to get their break bring such a vital and urgent energy to the show. This show launched the careers of the entire original cast. It was their big break. So why not find an incredible group of young nobodies, promote them as the final cast, show their performances in movie theaters across America and possibly give someone else a break? Why not bring it all full circle and end the show the way it began?

I’m not an idiot. I know how the world works.

I realize the reason they don’t do that is because most people would rather see “the girl from the movie” than an unknown, I just think it’s sad and was curious as to how others felt.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#53re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 8:38am

You have a good point. I would loved to see a fresh no body cast. I would even like to see new ensemble members. I think they should have everything fresh and new and fun. But it won't happen.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#54re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 11:34am

robin3, that was announced weeks ago. There have been at least 2 threads announcing it on the main board.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#55re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 11:34am

You call Neil Patrick Harris "crap stunt casting"? He's not exactly akin to Mario Lopez. He's legit talented and has been in theatre for quite some time. Also if I remember correctly he did it over 10 years ago when his career was not exactly at a high. If they did it now, it could be construed as "stunt casting" but when someone has the talent to back it up, I think it becomes "star casting".

robin3 Profile Photo
robin3
#56re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 12:22pm

yes, skittles, I know.(sigh) I read it weeks ago, here and elsewhere.
I was repling to Lepetite's comment that she wanted to see Tracie's performance. But thanks for your usual type of empty "correction" to my each and every post. yawn.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#57re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 12:28pm

Seeing as how LePetiteFromage has posted in the previous threads regarding Rent in theatres, your comment wasn't needed in the first place. And don't flatter yourself; I almost always disregard your inane posts.

I was going to say something along those lines, wintersky. In 1998, Neil Patrick Harris was a 25-year-old former child star who WAS a struggling artist, as he'd only had bit parts since Doogie Howser went off the air. By westcoast_wannabe's definition, his casting was in tune with the "standard" of the OBC.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 7/20/08 at 12:28 PM

Ole Chum
#58re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 12:40pm

star casting is only a problem when talent is missing from the equation.

im sorry, but even tho tamyra might be a "name" the girl did a very respectable job as mimi... tracie thoms was cast in RENT the movie as a nobody- and is hardly going to sell tickets bec she has a supporting role on Cold Case. she can sing, she can act. her "fame" is superfluous.

Melanie Brown, Joey Fatone, Drew Lachey... different story.

robin3 Profile Photo
robin3
#59re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 12:43pm

skittles, you always reply to my posts, each and every one, deny all you want, its what you do.
My post was valid, a comment that we all will see Tracie's performance at some point. It was not an announcement about the filming. Take it for what it was, don't try make it something it wasn't.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#60re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/20/08 at 12:58pm

OrangeSkittles- find something to be happy about rather than posting comments about other people's posts. Why waste energy on people you've never met?

Technically, we've ALL see Tracie's Joanne anyway. re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

ashley0139
#61re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/21/08 at 1:52pm

I'm just wondering why there hasn't been an official announcement yet if she starts Saturday.

And that means I have to get to RENT this week before Merle leaves. Love her.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#62re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/21/08 at 1:56pm

I am not a fan of hers at all, based on the cast recording.....

viola13
#63re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/21/08 at 2:05pm

While it doesn't say what she's doing, Merle will be leaving Rent to do another Broadway show according to her myspace.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=14555457&blogID=416229703

And I'm aware that there's no reason to believe me, as I don't have a link to back it up, but she's not leaving to go into Spamalot early. There'll be an official announcement soon.

snl89
#64re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/21/08 at 2:08pm

aaand I officially need to see RENT one last time. :)

No seriously though, I am SO SO freaking exstatic for her!! She deserves it like no ones bussiness, and she's freakin INCREDIBLE!! re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/22/08 at 9:23pm

Updated On: 5/2/09 at 09:23 PM

Bdwy24
#66re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/23/08 at 12:29am

I was under the impression that most of the original cast would be returning for the final performance that is going to be taped.....I would except more to be announced especially Anthony and Adam.

Ole Chum
#67re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/23/08 at 12:38am

i dont know where you got that impression. the original cast is not supposed to return for the taping... at least i never heard anything like that. i have heard that anthony rapp might close out the show as Mark for the last 4 weeks or so. well see.

anyone know why merle somehow abandoned her Spamalot plans to do this "new show" which I am almost sure must be that whoopi goldberg sponsored play going into Circle in the Square...

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#68re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/23/08 at 1:08am

If Merel is in fact doing "For Colored Girls" then she may be able to do spamalot as well. According to playbill the show was to have started previews around now and there is no marquees or signs for this show at the Circle In The Square. So Even if she was going to do this show she could still leave for spamalot in the fall if this show happens at all.

I would still love it if she were to sill do spamalot.

Bdwy24 as for the origional cast comming back to finnish off the show. That has been rumors since day one. Nothing has been announced. I know that after Anthony is done doing Some Americans Abroad he has another gig lined up. I don't know how long that other gig is for or if it would even get in the way of him comming back for Rent's closing. But, I am under the impression that most of the people who are there now are going to be there for the closing of the show. The only change is going to be Thoms comming in for Joanne.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

NY_Broadway2 Profile Photo
NY_Broadway2
#69re: Tracie Thoms to close Rent Broadway
Posted: 7/23/08 at 8:32am

I would love to see her perform this live. Hopefully there will be a theatre near my area that will show the taping of the very last performance and I will be able to it one last time.

If you hide from yourself, be someone else for someone else's sake, that would be the greatest mistake - bare

Videos