13: anyone interested?

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#50re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:57pm

C'mon guys, it may not be the best, but watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF1IDE6PAFY

It doesn't look that bad! I'm not excited per say, but it looks like a pretty cute show. And I for one am very happy that a show like this has the chance to open on Broadway. It gives us hope that broadway won't just be a home to big, flashy theme park shows, but also new and original concepts like this! When was the last time a show with the entire cast and band was made up of all teens! It's a cool new concept, and we should all just give it a chance! Let's at least not judge it until previews, guys.

edit: I just watched the video again, and I'm wondering, when was the last time you saw that much energy at Broadway in Bryant Park? They were giving it their all, and you could tell they were having fun!

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise
Updated On: 8/16/08 at 11:57 PM

Sabina Profile Photo
Sabina
#51re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 12:14am

I'm a teenager AND a JRB fan, but I dunno...this might even be a little young for me, as it seems to be about middle schoolers, and I have no interest at all in that demographic. But I'll definitely listen to it to see if it turns out well, and it certainly would be great for teens to go see something other than Wicked.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#52re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 12:37am

"It gives us hope that broadway won't just be a home to big, flashy theme park shows, but also new and original concepts like this!"

Two or so seasons ago the most original show ever opened "In My Life" and no one saw it, that show was the most original concept ever!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

SporkGoddess
#53re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 1:37am

The more I hear that title song, the more I think it sounds like "Hello Twelve, Hello, Thirteen, Hello Love" from A Chorus Line meets RENT.

Edit: Couldn't remember all of the song's title, sorry

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 8/16/08 at 01:37 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#54re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 2:02am

To answer the OP's question: A big fat NO.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#55re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 2:23am

How about we scrap 13 and put BRIGADOON back on track? Kay. Thanks. Bye.

shesamarshmallow
#56re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 3:48am

You're disappointed in JRB for writing this? Good lord. It's not as if it's a show entirely about poo. (And even if it was, who's to say it wouldn't work. Urinetown? Come on.)

I honestly entirely fail to understand anyone who reacts to this show negatively (though a few (a minority) of my friends have). Maybe I have a blind spot for it, I don't know. It's just so much fun, and reminds me simultaneously of what it was like to be 13 and the types of stories I liked when I was 13. So ok, it's not Parade. If every musical was, Broadway would be a depressing place, and if that's all Jason wrote he'd be a boring composer.

At Goodspeed it was immensely better than it was in LA, and if what I heard at Bryant Park was any indication, it will be even better on Broadway. If you don't want to see it, fine. Don't. But stop telling me that that is the opinion of everybody else and therefore it will surely close after a day and you'll all be laughing at JRB and everyone else who put time, energy and money into a miserable failure. Why be so negative? Is it fun? It doesn't seem fun.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#57re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 3:55am

I have to admit, the video someone posted of the Bryant Park performance had twice the energy I saw at Goodspeed.

Maybe they threatened to fire all the kids if they didn't put more effort into it...

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#58re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 5:15am

I heartily commend JRB for writing this. I may not want to go and watch kids onstage, but I sure as heck was a kid who wanted to be onstage! I think part of what spawned '13' in the first place was a certain cringing JRB felt when encountering young teenagers singing songs from his other works (I've actually heard him express discomfort with teenagers singing lines like "take me inside you"), but where some composers might just go "ugh, teenagers inappropriately singing my work, icky!", he's taken the time to go "well, this isn't appropriate, but they obviously like what I do, so I'll do something for them". Bravo!

Boq101
#59re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 8:39am

walkedthroughmany, they did. After goodspeed they went back to casting and replaced about half of the kids. My friend plays Lucy and she's been in it since the NYC reading in Jan. She said she had to audition after each time she did it in front of the producers and get called back against people who never did the show before.

3 or 4 kids in the cast now were in the cast on the Jan. reading.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#60re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/16/08 at 8:43am

"I don't believe I'm speaking for everyone, but in my dual experiences with this show, I've failed to have a great interest, and I've simply shared my opinion. Put down the damn pitchfork."

That's good you saw the show and still don't have an interest. I was speaking about the people who are reacting negatively without much basis for their opinion. So, thanks, but I have a right to my opinion just as much as you do then. Geez.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

hubee Profile Photo
hubee
#61re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 9:43am

Im 31 and I REALLY REALLY enjoyed "13". maybe I was having a mid life crisis but personally I thought it was a joyous and fun musical. Yes, the story is a bit after-school special but to me, the musical is almost like American Teen (the indie documentary) to everything else is like a Hollywood movie. Very basic story but one that everyone can remember and relate to.

It's not a perfect musical (I would give it 4/5) but it's certainly better than a bunch of other shows out there right now. Oh, and the choreography at Goodspeed was awesome!

And JRB's score is quite clever and gives a nice variety to Parade and L5Y.

http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#62re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 11:09am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpUek-yc5_Q&feature=related

The first time I watched that, I said to myself, "This has got to be a joke." It honestly looks like a poor man's end-of-summer-camp pastiche video with a smattering of Nickelodeon's "All That".

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

RentBoy86
#63re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 11:38am

It just seems...I don't know. I have no desire to see it, but I'm sure I will. The song isn't bad - the title song - but I'm not a fan of young kids singing or acting. They tend to indicate too much, and it comes off as like some Disney/Hannah Montana style of acting. And the line "i wanna get drunk"? I'm sorry, maybe I'm a prude, but I didn't even think about "drinking" when I was 13. Maybe if the set design is cool, then I'll be more interested.

shesamarshmallow
#64re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 11:48am

I went to boarding school in England for 6 years and left when I was 14 because I wasn't comfortable with all the drinking/smoking/sex that was going on around me. And haven't you see the movie 13? 13 the musical is taaaaaaaaaaame.
In a good way.

After Goodspeed, I believe they just replaced one lead cast member and got rid of one of the alternate Evans. Hardly half the cast.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#65re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 11:59am

And haven't you see the movie 13? 13 the musical is taaaaaaaaaaame.

Until reading this thread, that's actually what I thought this show was based on. I've only heard the title mentioned. I take it's not then? Hmmm, don't really have any interest unless I can get a really cheap ticket.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 8/17/08 at 11:59 AM

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#66re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 9:30pm

I am actually interested in this show. The title song to me is pretty catchy. I really hope this does take off. I think it will be great for tweens to see. I remember what it was like to be that age, it's confusing and the kids are mean. And yes, kids that age do want to get drunk. Where I live even the middle school has problems with drugs and drinking. Peer pressure is hard on kids that age. I think this could actually help some teenagers, they will realize they aren't alone and will maybe talk to someone. Plus I think it could very well get kids at a younger age to discover Broadway.

I might see it in Nov. I'm still undecided if I want to see this show or Shrek again.

masb19872
#67re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 9:59pm

I'm interested, but it's not a show I'd go out of my way to see.

Boq101
#68re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/18/08 at 12:24am

they got rid of the alternate and recast 5 parts.

Bwaymom
#69re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/21/08 at 10:23am

We went to the Goodspeed production. I knew my 10 year old DD would love it, and I was right (She can't wait to see it again!), but I had to drag my 45 year old husband along and I was shocked at how much he loved it. He said it was his "Wonder Years". He really related to it since he was the Jewish kid at his middle school and his friends also referred to his Bar Mitzvah as his Jewish Party. It's a show about 13 years old, but it's a show for everyone. I hope people don't think of it as a kids' show or they may miss out on something special. It's not for everyone, but we all loved it and will recommend it to our friends.

Rymes_With_Witch Profile Photo
Rymes_With_Witch
#70re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/21/08 at 10:57am

I will probably see it (If I can get a cheap ticket). I love JRB's music...though I haven't yet heard anything amazing from this show (granted I've only heard 2 or 3 songs). I think part of the problem may be that writing songs for a 13 year old's voice is a bit different than writing for an adult's, and may put a lot of limitations on the score. If older teens or young adults were playing the roles, the songs would probably sound very different.

rich.hanson59
#71re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/24/08 at 8:16pm

Anyone going tomorrow? If so at what time?

Videos