pixeltracker

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements- Page 32

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#775HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 2:45pm

Friends in Chicago are commenting to me on their surprise at how relatively little stage time Angelica has (notice I did not say "how small the role is."HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements  People who've listened to the album extensively -- even knowing it's sung-through -- have this idea there are longer Angelica-Alexander scene in the show's performance.  It's a shock to them that Angelica has relative little to do after "Satisfied."  It's one reason why Rene's performance of that song defined the character, and for many, was a cornerstone of the piece itself.  If either of the current Angelicas (Chicago or B'way) don't land the number with the same force, the role itself feels diminished.

I've often wondered why Miranda didn't give Angelica more narrative material to sing.  She's a good person to comment on Hamilton.  The place I notice it: the opening number (and I saw the show in October 2015).  Angelia has no solo verses in "Alexander Hamilton," to my surprise in the theater, even after spending a week with the downloaded music (just out, back then).  It's not a criticism, but he could've employed her more fully and given her slightly more to do, considering how extensive their correspondence was.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#776HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 3:08pm

So many inconsistencies, so little the amount I care to take the time to point them out. Have a good day!

aaaaaa15
#777HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 3:23pm

Eh, I think Miranda already gave Angelica way more importance in the show than she actually had in Hamilton's life. Which I'm not complaining about, having more than one significant female character is necessary but I'd rather hear more from Eliza if anything.

I was never as impressed by Renee as everyone else seems to be so I'm interested to see another take on the role. I think I will have to wait for the London Angelica to do so though.

KingOPancakes
#778HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 3:35pm

A conversation about who gave the better performance in a specific role quickly devolves into "It's Mandy Gonzalez because she has a proven track record of being the better singer in other shows and if you disagree with me you're wrong and therefore must be a tween".

As a broadway outsider who just checks the board for Hamilton updates, the amount of melodrama here is amusing.

BroadwayConcierge
#779HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 3:37pm

KingOPancakes said: "A conversation about who gave the better performance in a specific role quickly devolves into "It's Mandy Gonzalez because she has a proven track record of being the better singer in other shows and if you disagree with me you're wrong and therefore must be a tween".

As a broadway outsider who just checks the board for Hamilton updates, the amount of melodrama here is amusing.
"

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#780HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 3:41pm

I thought you were leaving?

RussT2
#781HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 3:42pm

neonlightsxo said: "I don't think he's been on for Hamilton yet, so you'll be the first."

Oy. I've had these tickets for 9 months and I'm seeing the lead's FIRST performance in the show?

I'm hoping he's good.

KingOPancakes
#782HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 3:47pm

RussT2 said: "Oy. I've had these tickets for 9 months and I'm seeing the lead's FIRST performance in the show?

I'm hoping he's good.
"

I enjoyed him when I saw him play Mulligan/Madison, for what it's worth.  Check back after the show, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Updated On: 1/5/17 at 03:47 PM

DivaProf
#783HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 4:31pm

neonlightsxo said: "ljay889 said: "Mandy is an experienced and qualified singer and actress. If you have issues with certain aspects of her performance, take it up with the director. She wasn't just thrown on the stage and left to do whatever. I am sure you were too young to have seen her LIVE in Heights and Wicked, but she was perfectly cast and well directed in each show, and didn't receive the criticism that the Hamilton fanatics keep throwing at her. At the end of the day, Angelica isn't a very large role, one major song basically defines the part, and I think fans have trouble letting go of Renee's winning performance, but this always happens with early replacements in mega popular shows with a strong fan following, i.e: Rent, Wicked, etc. "

I'm with you on this. But this is what happens when shows get a young fandom...

"

But many people who saw Renee were impressed with Karen Olivo's interpretation of Angelica (including me), so the opposition to Mandy can't solely be due to an unwillingness to accept anyone else in the role.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#784HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 4:35pm

Now that Michael Luwoye is leaving to do the tour, should we assume that Jevon McFerrin will be the Ham Alternate?

Rainah
#785HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 4:36pm

ChairinMain said: "The criticisms leveled at Seth and Mandy on this form are not quite, perhaps, indicative of their performances but of just how hard the score is and just how good Renee and Daveed were in these roles. "

Honestly with all the reports of all of the understudies I am calling Laf/Jeff the hardest role in the show to pull off. The only people who seem to be really successful is Daveed and Chris Lee in chicago

BroadwayConcierge
#786HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 4:39pm

Luwoye is leaving Broadway on February 14 for the tour.

Valyitz
#787HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 5:23pm

Wow, so grateful I got to see him as Hamilton last night then! His performance is truly phenomenal, looks like the tour is getting an amazing cast.

neonlightsxo
#788HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 6:21pm

thirtythirtyninety said: "Now that Michael Luwoye is leaving to do the tour, should we assume that Jevon McFerrin will be the Ham Alternate?"

I wouldn't assume that. Jevon hasn't even gone on for Hamilton once yet, I don't think. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#789HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/5/17 at 10:56pm

DivaProf said: "neonlightsxo said: "ljay889 said: "Mandy is an experienced and qualified singer and actress. If you have issues with certain aspects of her performance, take it up with the director. She wasn't just thrown on the stage and left to do whatever. I am sure you were too young to have seen her LIVE in Heights and Wicked, but she was perfectly cast and well directed in each show, and didn't receive the criticism that the Hamilton fanatics keep throwing at her. At the end of the day, Angelica isn't a very large role, one major song basically defines the part, and I think fans have trouble letting go of Renee's winning performance, but this always happens with early replacements in mega popular shows with a strong fan following, i.e: Rent, Wicked, etc. "

I'm with you on this. But this is what happens when shows get a young fandom...

"

But many people who saw Renee were impressed with Karen Olivo's interpretation of Angelica (including me), so the opposition to Mandy can't solely be due to an unwillingness to accept anyone else in the role.

"

I understand your point, but I think the criticism of Mandy is harsher because she directly replaced Renee. Karen originated the role in the Chicago production, she's not a direct replacement of Renee's. 

Ahmy
#790HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/6/17 at 12:30am

neonlightsxo said: "thirtythirtyninety said: "Now that Michael Luwoye is leaving to do the tour, should we assume that Jevon McFerrin will be the Ham Alternate?"

I wouldn't assume that. Jevon hasn't even gone on for Hamilton once yet, I don't think. 

"
He's going on on the 7th, I believe. (You're right, though. That will be his first time as Hamilton.)

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#791HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/6/17 at 12:51am

https://twitter.com/joshuahenry20/status/817244046360014848 Joshua Henry will be leaving January 15th.

sparepart973
#792HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/6/17 at 4:15am

Do we know who will replace Joshua in Chicago? I saw him and his understudy in it, both two completely different take. While understudy was very good, he's not the typical Burr prototype we are used to. 

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#793HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/6/17 at 9:12am

sparepart973 said: "Do we know who will replace Joshua in Chicago? I saw him and his understudy in it, both two completely different take. While understudy was very good, he's not the typical Burr prototype we are used to. 

Who was the understudy you saw?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#795HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/6/17 at 11:13am

Actually, no, Miranda doesn't elevate Angelica. If you read Chernow's book, which I have: Angelica had a very powerful role in Hamilton's life, in no way minimized because her input and advice were mostly epistolary in nature.  It's critical to contextualize both Angelica and Eliza in terms of the reduced societal position women held. They had zero rights, so their influence was necessarily covert. With that in mind, Angelica's role as impromptu/informal consigliere and confidant cannot be overestimated. 

Updated On: 1/6/17 at 11:13 AM

aaaaaa15
#796HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/6/17 at 12:43pm

I have read the bio and I whilst I appreciate Angelica's role as an advisor, I still don't think she should be considered one of the key say 5 people in Hamilton's life. Miranda elevated her by making her into more of a romantic interest to Hamilton than she actually was. He still shows her advising him, for instance at the beginning of Take a Break but I think any more of that would be OTT and unnecessary for a 2.5 hour musical.

Updated On: 1/6/17 at 12:43 PM

RussT2
#797HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/7/17 at 12:33am

Ahmy said: "neonlightsxo said: "thirtythirtyninety said: "Now that Michael Luwoye is leaving to do the tour, should we assume that Jevon McFerrin will be the Ham Alternate?"

"

He's going on on the 7th, I believe. (You're right, though. That will be his first time as Hamilton.)

Actually Jevon McFerrin played Alexander Hamilton for the first time tonight January 6th and he was fantastic!T his was my first time seeing the show, but I've known the cast album since it came out. I've never seen anything like this show before. My boyfriend and I were totally absorbed and blown away by it. I knew I was going to cry during the last song and I did. I especially liked Rory O'Malley as King George, Brandon Victor Dixon as Burr and Seth Stewart as Lafayette/Jefferson. EVERYONE was great!  This is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#798HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/7/17 at 10:48am

I can't imagine Brady's joining the show. He starts tapping the next season of "Whose Line" in April, then tapes the next season of "Let's Make a Deal" from June - September. Doesn't give him much time for HAMILTON.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#799HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 1/7/17 at 11:49am

aaaaaa15: We're likely splitting a hair here. My point somewhere above: Miranda might've used her in the opening number, when an infinite number of characters join Burr to help tell Hamilton's story, but Angelica isn't given any narrative beyond appearing with the other women during the "me, I--" section.  Perhaps he's saving her entrance (theatrically savvy), but he gives someone with an even larger role, Eliza, quite a bit in the opening, the verses about his mother's death.  It seems as if the woman with whom he corresponded frequently over the years on myriad subjects might've helped introduce him. It's really an observation.  A curiosity. 

Videos