pixeltracker

Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.- Page 4

Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#75Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 5:02pm

Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#76Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 5:03pm

and there it is! howd you get that to work qolbinau?

I'll take the wind and soar.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#77Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 5:05pm

Your original link was a link to, like an imageshack page with the photo, not a direct link to the photo. I copied/pasted the direct link to the photo from that page.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#78Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 5:09pm

AH great thanks! please bear with the technologically challenged. anyway, show curtain everybody!!

I'll take the wind and soar.

i_love_megan
#79Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/11/11 at 5:41pm

Can anyone comment on the view from the first row, on the side but first seat on the aisle? Is the stage high, is there a pretty good view of all the action

Stphen1187
#80Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:15am

I never post, but I was interested to see what everyone would have to say about Sutton in 'Anything Goes.' Just got in from the theatre (tonight was 2nd preview), and I was really impressed with the show. A lot of people have been criticizing ever since the rehearsal video of the title song was posted. Bottom line, to echo what was said before, the show itself is musical comedy heaven. Kathleen has tried to put her stamp on a lot of iconic material, and has been successful with a lot of the choreography and musical staging. However, there are definite moments where the show falls flat (did anyone else think "Friendship" and/or "Gypsy in Me" were weird?), and one can sense that the actors are a little unsure of themselves at points. This of course is to be expected for a second preview.

Sutton is fabulous. Reno is a very different role for her, and she's a lot more sexy and mature than in her previous work. I think it might take audiences a little while to warm up to her in this new role. Everyone is so used to her naive, goofball Thoroughly Modern Millie image that to see her play such a womanly role as Reno definitely took a second to get used to. She's KILLING IT in the production numbers and blatantly showing up the four chorus girls that back her up as the Angels (for those familiar with dance terminology, she does a 180 degree penche in Blow Gabriel !!). As someone who has seen her live in all of her Broadway credits since 'Annie' in 1997, this is one of the most athletic roles she's played on Broadway, on par with Millie. Her vocals are spot on and she's never looked more glamorous. Sutton does not disappoint!

Also, kudos to Laura Osnes as Hope. Her performance is one of the more compelling of the evening, despite the stereotype of Hope being a thankless role. She looks and sounds gorgeous. Either Kathleen has fleshed out the oft neglected relationship between Billy and Hope, or else Osnes and Colin Donnell (who was also super as Billy) just have terrific chemistry. I totally bought it.

Joel Grey is cute as Moonface, but it looked as though Sutton was holding him by hand for the duration of "Friendship," feeding him lyrics and helping him through the song, and it made me a little nervous for them. I'm sure this is mostly due to the show having just started previews. On the whole, while there are a few kinks that need to be ironed out, I thought the show was in terrific shape for it only being 2nd preview.
Updated On: 3/12/11 at 12:15 AM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#81Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:38am

Looking forward to seeing it next month. How is the last row of the orchestra?

ILuv2shop531
#82Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:41am

I'm seeing it on Wednesday, what is the running time now, 2 and a half hours? Also, who has stagedoored the last 2 shows (I don't expect Sutton to, as we know her track record haha)?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#83Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:01am

The show is was over by 10.40pm, and let me tell you guys: It was fantastic.

Kathleen Marshall used some of her signature moves in the choreography and it worked well. I wish the musical had more dance numbers with the entire company.

About the actors:

Sutton Foster: Finally her name is above the title, so I guess she is officially joining Idina Menzel, and a few others as one of the new generation of Broadway divas. Sutton is fantastic, her voice in top shape, she gets the chance to show her dancing skills, a role that suits her perfectly.

Joel Grey: He is a Broadway legend and he was good in this show, someone compared him to Elaine Stritch in ALNM and that was just not fair, it was his 2nd preview and he basically knew all his lines perfectly.

John Mc Martin: He was terrific, he's a natural.

Jessica Walter: A perfect role for her. Very funny.

Colin Donnell: Fantastic, he truly has "it", a true triple threat. A delight.

Adam Godley: I don't like his part much, but he did a fine job.

Laura Osnes: Her voice sounded pretty well, her character is not meant to stand out though.

Jessica Stone: Was phenomenal, stole a few scenes. It's good to have her back on B'way!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

TrpleThreat89
#84Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:01am

Actually, Sutton came out on Thursday night and stayed for a long time. A lot of her students were there. The only one I don't recall coming out was John McMartin. Joel was the last to come out - about 45 minutes after curtain call, but to me, he was worth waiting for.

muscle23ftl
#85Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:06am

I didn't "stage door", but glad to hear she stayed with her fans for a long time.

And glad to see her in a good role in a good musical. I only saw her in Drowsy Chaperone and Little Women and found both musicals dreadful.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

JohnRain Profile Photo
JohnRain
#86Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 12:55pm

The cast was marvelous. During the bows, Joel started to get a standing ovation, then Sutton received a standing ovation from the entire audience. She deserves it. She commands attention whenever she is onstage and is a joy to behold. Colin Donnell holds his own against her and is the leading man in the show, though Joel gets star billing. Laura Osnes is very likable in her role and sings beautifully. Jessica Stone is a definite scene stealer and should be commended for her portrayal.

I cannot say enough about the costumes. The colors will blow you away.

Hank
#87Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 2:47pm

Wow! After reading these posts I'm realy pumped up. I'll be there tonight and can't wait!

TIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
#88Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 5:21pm

This thread has really whetted my appetite to see the show - the Lincoln Center production in 1989 was my first-ever Broadway show and I had reservations about seeing it again based on the fact that I've found Sutton Foster a bit anaemic in the 3 shows I've seen her in (plus the rehearsal footage was slighly underwhelming). But AG has such a fantastic score and I'm a sucker for big, crowd-pleasing song-and-dance numbers, so I think I'd kick myself if I missed it.

Does anyone know what the situation is with lottery / general rush / SRO / discounts etc? Any first-hand advice would be much appreciated. Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.

Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 3/12/11 at 05:21 PM

wexy
#89Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 6:56pm

Looking forward to seeing on the 25th and to see if anyone from the cast shows for our Roundabout social series after party.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

AlfieByrne
#90Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 9:48pm

No lottery. Rear mezz (last row?) for I believe $30ish. Or you can do student rush for half-price. I got Row C center orch on the first preview that way.

bwayfan7000
#91Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 10:22pm

General Rush: $30 - limited number of tickets sold at box office three hours prior to curtain. Subject to availability. Limit 2 per person.

Student Rush: Limited number of half-price seats sold at half hour before curtain. Subject to availability. Limit 1 per valid ID.

Hiptix: $21.50

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Dollypop
#92Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/12/11 at 10:52pm

I wasn't planning on seeing this show, but that show curtain is so amazing I have now put ANYTHING GOES on my must-see list!

Thanks for posting!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

nuckyblue Profile Photo
nuckyblue
#93Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/13/11 at 12:00am

I'm seeing the show on Wednesday night and can't wait. Thank you all for the feedback and neat comments... I'm psyched.

noracharles89
#94Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/13/11 at 3:46am

Honestly, there are some issues with this production in addition to the show's weak book but I walked on of the theatre in a fantastic mood on Thursday night.

Sutton is a more vulnerable, kookier Reno then I am used to seeing but there is nothing in her performance that is clashing with the script, only my preconceived notions. And she is tough and sexy...very, very sexy.

I too found myself caring about the Billy/Hope plot for the first time in seeing this show. I think that this is mostly due to Laura's terrific performance. Hope often comes across as shrewish because she is constantly scolding Billy, but Laura played her as fondly amused by Billy antics until he truly went to far. So it actually seemed like they shared a sense of humor and were right for each other.

Updated On: 3/13/11 at 03:46 AM

muscle23ftl
#95Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/13/11 at 3:56am

My experience was totally different. Reno, is not vulnerable; the guy she's in love with turns her down and she pretty much doesn't give a damn and falls for another guy rightaway.
I didn't care for the Billy/Hope love story at all.

TIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
#96Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:00am

Thanks for the rush info. Don't fancy Rear Mezz and wouldn't qualify for student rush / hiptix so I guess I'll have to hope other discount codes throw up decent seats.

Seen some shows in my time....

Hank
#97Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/13/11 at 3:30pm

I was there last night with the highest expectations, and was not disappointed. The book is simply "Love Boat" on stage, but who cares? We're here for the musical numbers, and it's just one show stoper after another. This is indeed, as stated before, "MUSICAL COMEDY HEAVEN"!
The cast is fantastic! The costumes, set, and more than anything else, the choreography are all awesome.
The "Friendship" scene with Sutton and Joel really touched me. Here we see a living legend, and one in the making, and you can just take in the chemistry between these two.

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#98Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/13/11 at 4:11pm

i am so excited to see the show in two weeks! has anyone sat in the mezzanine, Row FF, all the way on the left? (or the right, i guess.) if so, how was the view? thanks!

wicked4l
#99Sutton Foster in Anything Goes. First Preview.
Posted: 3/13/11 at 4:26pm

I sat in the last row of the mezzo last night on the left side. The view was fantastic. I didn't miss a thing. WIsh I enjoyed it more!

Videos