pixeltracker

Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway- Page 4

Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#75Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:10am

My first show on Broadway was Promises Promises in the Spring of 1969. It was our seventh grade class trip.

allyk Profile Photo
allyk
#76Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:14am

The King and I revival in November 1996. I was 7.

allyk Profile Photo
allyk
#77Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:14am

The King and I revival in November 1996. I was 7.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#78Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:23am

Mamma Mia!-June 2007.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

MissAnneThrop Profile Photo
MissAnneThrop
#79Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:24am

I feel old as well. That's why i purposely left out the year when I saw A Chorus Line back in the day. Sat up in the balcony of the Shubert.

And I Am Always So Vitriolic

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#80Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:29am

FALSETTOS at the Golden Theatre, March 17, 1993 starring Mandy Patinkin, Chip Zien, Stephen Bogardus, Barbara Walsh, Susan Goodman (u/s for Heather MacRae), Maureen Moore, and Jeffrey Landman. I was on a high school journalism trip that included tickets to PHANTOM, but got special permission to skip some of the seminars and go see a show on my own. I chose FALSETTOS because of Patinkin!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#81Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:38am

Les Miserables 1988

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#82Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:50am

Fiddler on the Roof - 1965 - with Zero Mostel
Graduation present from Elementary School.
What other show are you going to bring a 12 year old Jewess from NYC to.

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#83Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:55am

American Idiot, 20th April 2011. With Billie Joe Armstrong.

It was my second ever trip to NYC.

Everything in life...is only for now.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#84Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:56am

Everytime I check this thread, there are more fascinating posts. To quickly address a few:

broadwayjim, wasn't FIFTH OF JULY wonderful? Did you see it with Reeve or Thomas?

Raker, yeah, I have to say that 1980 production of WEST SIDE STORY was rather dreadful.

And OMG, once a month, You saw THE LEAF PEOPLE!!!! PLEASE tell us more! That show had the most astounding reputation.

WickedlyJamie Profile Photo
WickedlyJamie
#85Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 10:57am

I went to NY for my first time just recently and in order saw:

Catch Me If You Can
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Anything Goes
Memphis
The Book of Mormon (Best for last, eh?)

So CMIYC was my first :) Easter Weekend 2011, five shows in three days.

I've seen quite a few Toronto shows, though ^^

poodleboy2 Profile Photo
poodleboy2
#86Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:05am

Saturday July 26,1980

Camelot -matinee
Richard Burton reprised his role as Arthur in a revival that ran from July 8, 1980 to August 23, 1980 at the New York State Theater at Lincoln Center. Christine Ebersole played Guenevere, and Richard Muenz was Lancelot.

West Side Story - evening
The Broadway revival opened at the Minskoff Theatre on February 14, 1980 and closed on November 30, 1980
It starred Ken Marshall as Tony, Hector Jamie Mercado as Bernardo, Josie de Guzman as Maria, and Debbie Allen as Anita.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#87Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:12am

Mine was Beauty and the Beast, but I can't remember if it was in 1994 or 1995.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ahhrealmonsters
#88Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:19am

Pammy- That sounds amazing. I grew up watching the film version. I would have killed to see Zero Mostel as Tevye live. (Had I been alive at the time...)

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#89Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:23am

The Leaf People, at its first performance in the mid 70's-Joe Papp came out beforehand to welcome us to this adventure. I bought tickets because novice that I was, I knew he produced A Chorus Line and I couldn't get in, so- The Leaf People was my intro to Broadway. I still have the Playbill!

The plot concerned the first interaction between the natives in the Amazon and the 'civilized' caucasians, I seem to recall. The natives talked "leaf-talk" throughout while two people were suspended over the stage in test tube like cylinders to translate. It was very disjarring, to say the least. When natives carried Totems onto the stage, a couple got enmeshed in the hanging vines and after much tugging, were magically pulled straight up and out of sight. I also recall a rather vulgar scene when a young woman was finger poked to check her virginity status. My first nudity on stage followed by Oh, Calcutta the following day (how dismal).

One of the worst productions I've ever seen! I've never, in all my years of theatre going heard anyone else ever even refer to this turkey. Perhaps any astounding reputation was with insiders since it was a completely forgettable experience. Joe Papp tried to soften the blow beforehand much like the director did before Women on the Verge when I attended the second preview.
Updated On: 5/27/11 at 11:23 AM

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#90Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:30am

It was Cats in 1988. I think Les Mis on the same trip. I was 8.

willrogers2008
#91Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:32am

CHICAGO - 1975! I suppose in previews!!!

mar6411
#92Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:34am

Woman of the Year with Lauren Bacall. 1981.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#93Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:37am

The Goodbye Girl -- sadly, sans Bernadette -- in July 1993. I believe Betsy Joslyn did the role at that performance, but I'm not sure, as I didn't keep the Playbill and had no idea who she was at the time.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#94Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:42am

These threads always make me feel old.

Evita, 1981
The same weekend I also say Woman of the Year, Barnum and Pirates of Penzance.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#95Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 11:48am

Sherlock Holmes - 1975 (I remember there was a blizzard and school was cancelled, but not our field trip to Broadway)

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#96Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 12:04pm

My parents took me to NYC in early 1986 (freshman in HS) and we saw "A Chorus Line" and (off-Broadway) "Little Shop of Horrors." Also went to a David Letterman taping. Was a great trip. Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#97Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 12:19pm

once a month, thanks so much for that story. Yeah, that show was in the days when Papp was using A CHORUS LINE profits to fund all sorts of silliness on Broadway -- and THE LEAF PEOPLE was considered the most bizarre of the lot. I just remember hearing it was an incomprehensible mess and that it employed its own unique language. Lordy! That playwright was never heard from again. Gee, I wonder why?

I'm with others here who are excited to hear from someone who actually got to see Zero Mostel in FIDDLER in 1965! What I would have given!

Keep all this great stuff comin' folks!

mattywhits Profile Photo
mattywhits
#98Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 12:38pm

The Music Man, November of 2001 with Robert Sean Leonard as Harold Hill- don't remember much about his performance but I remember Rebecca Luker being as glorious as ever!

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#99Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
Posted: 5/27/11 at 12:39pm

I had no idea at Promises Promises in 1969 (I had just turned 13) that I was seeing so much greatness with Jerry Orbach, Jill O'Hara, Edward Winter along with Kelly Bishop, Graciela Daniele, Ken Howard, Baayork Lee, Donna McKechnie, Margo Sappington, AND Marian Mercer.

Videos