pixeltracker

Spielberg’s West Side Story- Page 4

Spielberg’s West Side Story

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#75Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 7/12/18 at 12:06pm

I do have faith that they will cast this film and give many Latino performers the chance to shine. If you look at the Hollywood and even the Broadway past they cast whoever looked and/or sounded the part and very rarely considered the actors ethnicity a deciding factor in the casting process.

It's curious when one takes a look at some of the roles in this particular show/film with the actors chosen to play that specific role, which in the end does not reflect the actor's ability to play the role (the exception of course being Natalie Wood who had ethnically dark looks that fit the role but could not sing the role resulting in her being dubbed): 

ANITA (OBC) - Chita Rivera:  Puerto Rican ancestry

MARIA (OBC) - Carol Lawrence: Italian ancestry

MARIA (Film) - Natalie Wood: Russian Ukranian ancestry

BERNARDO (Film) - George Chakiris: Greek ancestry

ANITA (Film) - Rita Moreno: Puerto Rican

FRANCISCA (Film) - Joanne Miya: Japanese Ancestry

INDIO (Film) - Gus Trikonis: Greek Ancestry

GRAZIELLA (Film): Gina Trikonis: Greek Ancestry

Gina and Gus are siblings of Greek ancestry and yet were cast as a Jet girlfirend and a Shark gang member respectively. 

African American actors have also been cast in "West Side Story" as well: Dorothy Dandridge played "Anita" on a U.S. tour in the mid-1960s and Debbie Allen played the role in the 1980 Broadway revival.

So, historically speaking this show's casting has been all over the place. 

Updated On: 7/12/18 at 12:06 PM

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#76Spielberg's West Side Story

Kad said: "I don't think this needs names."

And if it did, they would already be in place before they went in to production to secure the money. This seems to be going forward on the strength of the title and Speilberg's name. 

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#77Spielberg's West Side Story

duplicate

Updated On: 7/12/18 at 12:06 PM

CarlosAlberto
#78Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 7/12/18 at 12:10pm

CallMeAl2 said: "Kad said: "I don't think this needs names."

And if it did, they would already be in place before they went in to production to secure the money. This seems to be going forward on the strength of the title and Speilberg's name.
"

By the looks of it I would have to agree. It would be really exciting to get a star turn or star turns in this from complete unknowns.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#79Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 7/12/18 at 12:13pm

Really?!?! That is not what all the casting call announcements stated. It clearly states what roles they were looking to cast. The lead roles were listed. 

Yes, they may have been looking to fill ensemble/dance roles but the purpose for the calls is very clearly stated in the announcements/ads. 

These open/cattle-call auditions are more to generate publicity onto the upcoming project as well as to have the auditioners bring on their A-game thinking they are being looked at for one of the leads.  Disregard what the sheet states.  Sue them for false advertising.  

Jennifer Lopez was already cast as SELENA when the film held nation wide open/cattle call auditions for the lead.  These nation wide auditions generated interest in the upcoming film though the producers already had cast their Selena.  Shortly after the auditions concluded, Lopez was officially announced and she never took part in any of the nation wide auditions.  

Same with Ana Villafane in Broadway's ON YOUR FEET!  She was already cast when they held open/cattle call auditions in Miami.  These Miami auditions generated TONS of publicity in Miami and in the Latin America market with their extensive coverage.    

You'll see this happen with this upcoming remake of WEST SIDE STORY -- all the leads will be recognizable names who NEVER took part of these open/cattle call auditions. 

nasty_khakis
#80Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 7/12/18 at 12:23pm

I agree with BrodyFosse about these open call auditions, but I also think that, for stage productions at least, they can help creatives find understudies, replacements, tour casts, etc. Their Gloria was already cast, but I bet her understudy or potential replacements weren't and this probably gave them a few names to call back for those spots eventually.

CarlosAlberto
#81Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 7/12/18 at 12:46pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Really?!?! That is not what all the casting call announcements stated. It clearly states what roles they were looking to cast. The lead roles were listed.

Yes, they may have been looking to fill ensemble/dance roles but the purpose for the calls is very clearly stated in the announcements/ads.

These open/cattle-call auditions are more to generate publicity onto the upcoming project as well as to have theauditionersbring on their A-game thinking they are being looked at for one of the leads. Disregard what the sheet states. Sue them for false advertising.

Jennifer Lopez was already cast as SELENA when the film held nation wide open/cattle callauditions for the lead. These nation wideauditions generated interest in the upcoming film though the producers already had cast their Selena. Shortly after the auditions concluded, Lopez was officially announced and she never took part in any of the nation wide auditions.

Same with Ana Villafane in Broadway's ON YOUR FEET! She was already cast when they held open/cattle callauditions inMiami. These Miami auditions generated TONS of publicity in Miami and in the Latin America market with their extensive coverage.

You'll see this happen with this upcoming remake of WEST SIDE STORY -- all the leads will be recognizable names who NEVER took part of these open/cattle call auditions.

Now that made me laugh out loud. But I do see your point.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#83Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 9/28/18 at 2:43pm

Carousel's choreography was stunnning. This can only mean good things.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#84Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 9/28/18 at 2:44pm

Anyone hoping for a grittier-street style choreography will be disappointed. His choreography in Carousel was more flowery and disconnected from the story and characters than anything Jerome Robbins choreographed in WSS.

Updated On: 9/28/18 at 02:44 PM

BwayLB
#85Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 9/28/18 at 2:48pm

I didn't see Carousel but the ballet portions should be interesting to see

Danielle49
#86Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 9/28/18 at 3:04pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "Anyone hoping for a grittier-street style choreography will be disappointed. His choreography inCarouselwas more flowery and disconnected from the story and characters than anything Jerome Robbins choreographed in WSS."

I didn’t see Carousel but was disappointed by the Tony performance for this exact reason. Yeah, it was visually stunning, but it did nothing in relation to the characters or storytelling. The reason why Robbins’ choreography for West Side Story was so iconic was because of how it conveyed story through movement. Peck will create something dazzling to look at onscreen (a guaranteed wow factor for a wide audience), but I’m worried that it’ll just be pretty for pretty’s sake. Interested to see how it turns out.

Updated On: 9/28/18 at 03:04 PM

bk
#87Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 9/28/18 at 4:25pm

I found his choreography of Carousel horrible especially Blow High, Blow Low, which was all about him and nothing about Carousel.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#88Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 9/28/18 at 8:11pm

I thought Carousel had TERRIBLE choreography that went against what the story the show was trying to tell. 

Broadway World's Fireman.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#89Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 10:16am

It's difficult to say if Peck's choreography will or won't work in Spielberg's WSS without knowing Spielberg's take on, or vision for the storytelling.

Spielberg (for me) is an unexpected choice to direct a musical to begin with, but I know from everything he's done in the past, that I've not been disappointed by his movies.

I LOVE Peck's choreography, beyond just his work on "Carousel". I don't need him to choreograph WSS in the same way Robbins did, neither do I want him to. 

As already mentioned, Robbin's choreography is iconic. I don't want Spielberg's version to mess with that; try to best it, or imply that Robbin's choreography is in any need of an update. That just isn't so.

I agree that Peck's "Blow High, Blow Low" didn't function narratively, as expected. What I saw instead was a LOT of characterization regarding the men who were dancing it. There was a boatload of masculinity (as well as a balance of ho-yay) happening in that number. Wrong or right, I found that appealing, and a surprisingly different way to tell part of the story.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#90Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 6:22pm

Ansel Elgort?

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1046886841637453825

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#91Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 6:24pm

LizzieCurry said: "Ansel Elgort?

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1046886841637453825
"

Well that’s unexpected 

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#93Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 6:39pm

I totally predicted that Ansel would do this. And I'm okay with it! I'm optimistic about it!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#94Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 6:41pm

I have no idea of his singing abilities, but just on the surface, I think it’s excellent casting.

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#95Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 6:44pm

Ansel is a brilliant choice. His singing is beautiful and he comes from a dance background.

Hoping for an unknown still for Maria. It would be a tremendous opportunity for a young actress.

freewilma
#96Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 6:46pm

Here are some (dated) clips of him singing and dancing.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/176386/bound-for-broadway-see-the-secret-singing-dancing-stage-past-of-the-fault-in-our-stars-stud-ansel-elgort/

Updated On: 10/1/18 at 06:46 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#97Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 6:48pm

I said a while back that he'd be right for this part. Happy he got it. I'm also hoping Maria is an unknown. I can't think of any "famous" actresses out there right now that are good for the role.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#98Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 6:54pm

The timing is going to be interesting! Hollywood Reporter says filming begins in Summer 2019. Rudin/Van Hove's production starts previews in December 2019, so the film will probably open within 10 months of the stage revival. (Maybe Summer 2020, or Thanksgiving 2020 if they want to position it for the Oscars?)

Also interesting:  the co-producer of Spielberg's film is Kevin McCollum, who produced the last revival of the show.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#99Spielberg's West Side Story
Posted: 10/1/18 at 7:11pm

I find it funny how stan twitter is upset its not Ben Platt.

If you wanna see stan twitter, Ben platt retweeted his Audition tape a few hours ago.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

Videos