pixeltracker

Ivo van Hove Will Direct 2020 Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY- Page 4

Ivo van Hove Will Direct 2020 Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY

JSquared2
#75BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 2:38pm

darquegk said: "Other than Lin-Manuel Miranda, the majority of Puerto Ricans I know personally (as the son of a Hispanic immigrant) have an instinctive dislike towards West Side Story as the well-meaning pop culture source of many enduring prejudices and slurs against them. I suspect many Puerto Rican artists would say something like "must we rehash this bugbear of old-timey racism, instead of creating new Puerto Rican-American art authentically?"

Is"West Side Story"the greatest fusion of musical theatre, ballet, opera, Latin jazz and 20th century classical music ever created? Yes, but it's also a show full of slurs being thrown at Puerto Ricans, who don't get off many cracks in return, and who speak a white Jew's distant idea of Spanglish (the infamous "kiddando" nickname, where Laurents appears to have tried to fuse "kiddo" with the Spanish diminutive "ito," but instead fused it entirely nonsensically to a verb tense).

As an Ecuadorian-American, I have no dog in this fight, I'm only reporting what I've heard from the people the show refers to as "the Porta Rickins" and "Pee-Ahs."
"

Huh??  For starters, "kiddo" is a well known American slang term for a young person. Laurents had nothing to do with making up the word.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/kiddo

Also, the Sharks do get in their share of ethnic slurs, calling the Jets at various times "wops" and "micks".

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#76BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 2:39pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker’s choreography is close enough to Robbins’s style that it will match the intensity of the music, but contemporary enough to shake up our expectations. Very into the prospect of her collaboration."

Completely agree. There a lyric beauty to her work but also a rather wild unpredictability. She seems like a very interesting choice.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

AEA AGMA SM
#77BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 3:00pm

bfreak said: "While I don't think it's necessarily told from a particular point of view, maybe they should diversify the casting of the adults as usually they are played by Caucasian actors. That way there could be a sense of unbias between the adults and kids."

But the adults are biased, and the Jets are a result of that bias being passed down to the next generation. It would be completely nonsensical for the adults that we see in this world to be unbiased against the Sharks and immigrant community they represent. The only one that might conceivably make sense as a non-Caucasian actor would be Gladhand, but that's such a minuscule part that I don't think it would be able to make any sort of real impact or show an unbias.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#78BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 3:09pm

He doesn't say "kiddo," he says "kiddando," which is purely an invention of Laurents's.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#79BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 3:27pm

HOW COME when they talk about "reimagining West Side Story," they always attack the Jerome Robbins choreography? Why do they never talk about "reimagining" Arthur's book? Or Steve's lyrics? Or Lenny's music?

Why is it only the choreography that is considered in need of "reimagining"?

(Not that I think any of it is. Just asking, as they say, for a friend.)

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#80BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 3:32pm

The Robbin's choreography is great, but the image of a bunch of rough, urban gangs prancing around on point makes me chuckle. It's always been a little jarring to me.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#81BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 3:32pm

Probably because in terms of most people's understanding of the text of a show, book music and lyrics are sacrosanct, only being changed by direct permission of the rights holders, while the physical production, choreography, sets and so forth are traditionally not sacrosanct, and in most cases EXPECTED to be changed.

West Side Story, Fiddler and A Chorus Line are the major exceptions to this rule of thumb.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#82BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 3:36pm

GeorgeandDot said: "The Robbin's choreography is great, but the image of a bunch of rough, urban gangs prancing around on point makes me chuckle. It's always been a little jarring to me."

Okay, GeorgeandDot--tell me who's on pointe here. No one?

GeorgeandDot
#83BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 3:41pm

Pal Joey, I'm talking about the choreography in the opening. It's lovely, but not really a great representation of the characters. I love the original choreography, but we've seen it in two Broadway revivals now and I'm interested in seeing something new.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#84BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 3:55pm

I mean...if Terrence McNally wrote LOVE! VALOUR! COMPASSION! today he could easily write:

"I just had a musical theater nightmare!  I dreamed they were reviving WEST SIDE STORY directed by Ivo van Hove. We've got to stop them."

And it would bring the house down.  

Gizmo6
#85BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 3:57pm

GeorgeandDot said: "The Robbin's choreography is great, but the image of a bunch of rough, urban gangs prancing around on point makes me chuckle. It's always been a little jarring to me."

Is that not the point, the juxtaposition of the highly stylised choreography with the grit of the story? A distancing effect to force a critical eye on gang culture. 

Solipsist234
#86BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 4:17pm

Gizmo6 said: "GeorgeandDot said: "The Robbin's choreography is great, but the image of a bunch of rough, urban gangs prancing around on point makes me chuckle. It's always been a little jarring to me."

Is that not the point, the juxtaposition of the highly stylised choreography with the grit of the story? A distancing effect to force a critical eye on gang culture.
"

This! For a musical that heavily features gang violence, racism, and prejudice, the ballet aspect of the show brings it all together, encompassing different emotive characteristics of those said gang members. The choreography is very naturalistic, which explains why the Dance at the Gym encompasses different styles of dance!

I am very much intrigued by what this revival has to offer in terms of reinventing this show, as it is one of my favorite musicals (despite what RippedMan said, but at this point, who actually listens to his snarky opinions?)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#87BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 6:29pm

Solipsist234 said: "despite what RippedMan said, but at this point, who actually listens to his snarky opinions?"

Catty and rude. 

GeorgeandDot
#88BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 6:37pm

I don't know, but I find it jarring and somewhat laughable. That opening choreography just doesn't fit the characters, while the rest of the choreo for the show does. Maybe it read better when the show first opened, but now it seems kind of bizarre. I just find the Robbin's choreography tired. I've seen it too many times to find it interesting at all. I am interested to see what Keersmaeker does with the choreo. Her work is very strange, but beautiful and is more stylized movement than actual dance.

Also, I've noticed that there's a lot of talk about West Side Story being "problematic" which is something I don't really understand. Doesn't it portray the horrors of racism and gang violence. Doesn't it explore how Puerto Ricans are treated by the American people. I can't see what is so "problematic" about the piece. In fact, I think it's one of the musicals of that era that has really stood the test of time.

Solipsist234
#89BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 6:37pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Solipsist234 said: "despite what RippedMan said, but at this point, who actually listens to his snarky opinions?"

Cattyand rude.
"

Oh, I'm sorry, captain of the boards! Was that not under protocol? Was that against your strandards? Let me try it again then:

"...despite what RippedMan, but I guess he's allowed to have opinions like that, even if some people (myself included) don't agree with him!"

There! Is that better, or are you going to report my comment again because you think you're so entitled to be the so-called "leader" of this board? Face it, BroadwayConcierge; you can punch back, but there are people that will punch back 10x harder!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#90BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 6:39pm

Solipsist, you seriously need to calm down.

Solipsist234
#91BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 6:41pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I don't know, but I find it jarring and somewhat laughable. That opening choreography just doesn't fit the characters, while the rest of the choreo for the show does. Maybe it read better when the show first opened, but now it seems kind of bizarre. I just find the Robbin's choreography tired. I've seen it too many times to find it interesting at all. I am interested to see what Keersmaeker does with the choreo. Her work is very strange, but beautiful and is more stylized movement than actual dance.

Also, I've noticed that there's a lot of talk about West Side Story being "problematic" which is something I don't really understand. Doesn't it portray the horrors of racism and gang violence. Doesn't it explore how Puerto Ricans are treated by the American people. I can't see what is so "problematic" about the piece. In fact, I think it's one of the musicals of that era that has really stood the test of time.
"

^This. Like, ALL of this! Wow, GeorgeandDot, I'm glad you came around for this production. I agree, Robbins' choreography is fine and all, but West Side Story has always been a show that need a "reinvention" of sorts, so I share your sentiments! BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY

Solipsist234
#92BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 6:44pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Solipsist, you seriously need to calm down."

And I think that you should stop telling people what they can or cannot post, thread-baiter! You are not in control here, so I don't have to listen to a single thing you say or post; it's the land of the free anyway, right, BroadwayConcierge? BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#93BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 7:17pm

Doesn’t Scott Rubin generally use Shubert houses?

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#94BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 7:43pm

I planned on watching my West Side Stoey VHS tonight only to discover that at some time over the last five years of disuse, my VCR died.

Anyway, FYI - I discovered that West Side Story is available via my HBO Go account . I’m about 80 minutes into it. I’m planning to make it the first part of a double feature tonight, followed by Moulin Rouge. I thought it was a good time to re-experience both given news this week of the revival of the former and the beginning out-of-town previews of the latter.

Updated On: 7/13/18 at 07:43 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#95BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 9:22pm

Phantom of London said: "Doesn’t Scott Rubin generally use Shubert houses?"

He seems to go for Shubert or the occasional Jujamcyn theatres.

I do wonder how big the production will be –– if they'll try to go for a big theatre like the Imperial or Winter Garden, or a more intimate house like the Walter Kerr or Shoenfeld. (My guess would be a smaller theatre?)

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#96BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/13/18 at 9:53pm

A lot of it depends on what's available come that time. This production is a long way off, so it's likely that there may be some theatres that open up by then that we aren't thinking about right now (i.e. Broadhurst, Brooks Atkinson, Shubert if Mockingbird closes by then). I'll be interested to see what the landscape looks like when this comes closer.

enjoyable2
#97BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/14/18 at 12:00am

Given that it's inspired by Shakespeare, the story itself has stood the test of time.  I don't like the movie, mostly because the casting of the leads was pretty awful. But the show is wonderful and if they hire a first-rate cast who can sing it and dance it,  it could be sensational.

enjoyable2
#98BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/14/18 at 12:00am

Given that it's inspired by Shakespeare, the story itself has stood the test of time.  I don't like the movie, mostly because the casting of the leads was pretty awful. But the show is wonderful and if they hire a first-rate cast who can sing it and dance it,  it could be sensational.

GaryTokyo
#99BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/14/18 at 5:21am

An odd choice for sure. But the rights holders have spoken, so we can just hope for the best .Strange that it's coming essentially at the same time as the Spielberg film, especially since the approaches of the populist filmmaker and decidedly non-populist stage director are likely to be vastly different. The contrast should be a show in itself. https://sekenbanashi.wordpress.com/2018/07/14/ivo-van-hoves-west-side-story/#more-3393

Videos