pixeltracker

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews- Page 4

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/31/21 at 9:23am

For yesterday’s matinee I believe the seating chart looked like that the day before, as well however most seats were filled by showtime. And they are not papering (or at least doing much of it), so they’re selling seats somehow.

JasonC3
#76CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/31/21 at 10:22am

Jordan, that rings true with an article I read somewhere about more seats being sold (for all types of shows) very close to performance dates and times.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#77CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/31/21 at 10:28am

binau said: "I hope we get a cast recording. This cast would seem to warrant it!!"

I'd love to add recordings of "Lot's Wife" and "Salty Teardrops" from this production to my music library. I was not previously familiar with the original cast recording, but having now listened to the 2004 versions of these songs, I much prefer the current cast.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#78CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/31/21 at 10:30am

Jordan Catalano said: "For yesterday’s matinee I believe the seating chart looked like that the day before, as well however most seats were filled by showtime. And they are not papering (or at least doing much of it), so they’re selling seats somehow. "

Also want to point out that it’s Halloween weekend, which is notoriously a very slow sales weekend even in normal times.  I have access to one show’s grosses right now and their sales have been - overall - decent since reopening.  This weekend they were abysmal. 

it still will obviously need a lot of strong day of sales.   I know I’ve only been purchasing day of tickets to see the show.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Alexander Lamar
#79CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/31/21 at 10:46am

Jordan Catalano said: "For yesterday’s matinee I believe the seating chart looked like that the day before, as well however most seats were filled by showtime. And they are not papering (or at least doing much of it), so they’re selling seats somehow. "

Same with last nights show. 

Jordan Catalano
#80CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/31/21 at 12:00pm

Also worth noting I suppose that as of right now, Roundabout hasn’t released any discount codes for this, but they have for their other show “Trouble in Mind”.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#81CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 9:13am

After not being able to go for my birthday, I was able to get digital rush tickets for Saturday's 8pm performance and I loved every second of it. I really enjoyed the stripped down set but I wish I could have seen the original Broadway versions to see if it would have added anything more to the experience. Sharon D Clarke was breathtaking and made me cry during "Lots Wife." She was the only thing I liked about the current iteration of "Doctor Who" and this show made me fall in love with her even more.  I hope she comes back on Broadway soon after the limited engagement is over. 

I also have to give a shout out to Caissie Levy as Rose.  I can't stand the vocals of the actress in the OBC Recording so I always skipped songs she had a huge chunk in but Caissie's voice was great as always and she made me feel for her and her situation. 

If I had to pick a weak link in the cast, it would be John Cariani as Stuart who did nothing for me.  Great clarinet player but it was like his acting choice was "moping" and didn't do anything else the entire show.  I understand his character is down and depressed but his portrayal came off wooden and boring to me.  

Overall it was an AMAZING night in the theatre and highly recommend you go if you are on the fence. 

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#82CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 10:05am

I also have to give a shout out to Caissie Levy as Rose.  I can't stand the vocals of the actress in the OBC Recording…

THAT actress is none other than the fabulous Veanne Cox.

VEANNE COX

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#83CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 10:09am

re: Veanne Cox I LOVE her performance (vocally). She seems to have difficulty navigating the score (switching between head/chest, speaking some lines) until the very end. She finally feels comfortable in her last bit when she's singing to Noah. In my head I've decided this is an echoing of her relationship with Noah. It isn't until the end that she feels comfortable with him. 

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#84CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 1:05pm

That is a really good interpretation of her vocals.  I never saw her live so I don't know how her acting and singing worked together so, unfortunately, I only have the cast recording which she seems flat and kinda screechy (I can't think of a better word for it).  I am sure her acting was great though. 

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Jordan Catalano
#85CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 1:34pm

Veanne was (is) just remarkable. Her Rose was much different and I have a hard time putting into words exactly how. Almost like how Tonya and Sharon give such different interpretations of Caroline and I also find it difficult to put into words how. Just different interpretations of sadness, I suppose. And maybe with Rose it’s just different interpretations of someone being the glue and trying to “hold it all together”.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#86CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 1:37pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "I also have to give a shout out toCaissie Levy as Rose. I can't stand the vocals of the actress in the OBC Recording…

VEANNE COX
"

Love how so called theatre fans on this site will forget the name of someone as remarkable as Veanne Cox, lol.

ETA: Any idea if they will come out with a cast album for this revival?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 11/1/21 at 01:37 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#87CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 1:39pm

Veanne's Rose is someone who is putting a lot of effort into seeming like she's fine, and is usually not as successful as she'd like. Her Rose is very desperate to be liked, and so her hurt when Caroline continually rebuffs her and eventually walks off the job for a few days is very real (it's very probable that Rose has no friends in her new home- her husband is a nonentity, her stepson hates her, it doesn't seem like she fits in or approves of her synagogue, and her maid is prickly and cold to her).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 11/1/21 at 01:39 PM

Jordan Catalano
#88CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 1:43pm

Personally, I think that’s a very good description of Cox’s performance.

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#89CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 1:57pm

Love how so called theatre fans on this site will forget the name of someone as remarkable as Veanne Cox, lol.

"

Are we really going to gatekeep knowing about an actress whose last credit was in 2015? lol

Would also love to know about (and hear confirmation) of a new cast album.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#90CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 4:04pm

Call_me_jorge said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "I also have to give a shout out toCaissie Levy as Rose. I can't stand the vocals of the actress in the OBC Recording…

VEANNE COX
"

"

Wow - bitchy much?  I know who she is but I couldn't remember her name and didn't feel like looking it up.  And *GASP SHOCK* yes I don't know the name of every single actor/actress that has ever been in a Broadway show.

And I also hope they release a new recording with this cast.

Updated On: 11/1/21 at 04:04 PM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#91CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 4:11pm

"I can't stand the vocals of the actress..."

Seems pretty bitchy all on its own, FYI. I don't really get the point of Jorge's post but then I never really get the point of Jorge's posts. That said. Glass houses man.

Jesus saves. I spend.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#92CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 4:23pm

KJisgroovy said: ""I can't stand the vocals of the actress..."

Seems pretty bitchy all on its own, FYI. I don't really get the point of Jorge's post but then I never really get the point of Jorge's posts. That said. Glass houses man.
"

I'll give you this.  I should have said, "I don't like" instead of "I can't stand."  Apologies on that. 

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#93CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 4:24pm

But back to the post at hand - amazing version of an amazing show. 

Updated On: 11/1/21 at 04:24 PM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#94CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 4:52pm

I'm glad you liked the show! I appreciated your review and I too am really hopeful we get a new cast album.

For me, Veanne Cox gave an iconic performance and I was a little worried about Cassie Levy as she's a very different type. I've been heartened to hear all the positive reports on her take (yours especially).

Jesus saves. I spend.

nycward
#95CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 5:09pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Also worth noting I suppose that as of right now, Roundabout hasn’t released any discount codes for this, but they have for their other show “Trouble in Mind”."

Check Playbill online.  The link is for fairly good discounts.

Jordan Catalano
#96CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 5:10pm

^ Thanks for that. That code must be brand new because it wasn’t there the other day.

PipingHotPiccolo
#97CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/1/21 at 8:32pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Veanne was (is) just remarkable. Her Rose was much different and I have a hard time putting into words exactly how. Almost like how Tonya and Sharon give such different interpretations of Caroline and I also find it difficult to put into words how. Just different interpretations of sadness, I suppose. And maybe with Rose it’s just different interpretations of someone being the glue and trying to “hold it all together”."

I've only seen clips of Veanne Cox, and make no comment on her vocals, but I think she played the role as someone who is desperate and, frankly, irritating. That makes perfect sense, but I found Caissie Levy's Rose plainly sympathetic, the kind of insensitive-but-well-meaning we (i?) recognize all too well. It was a totally different and much appreciated take on the role. (and of course, she does wonders with the vocals)

VintageSnarker
#98CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/2/21 at 10:26am

Zion24 said: "I've only seen clips of Veanne Cox, and make no comment on her vocals, but I think she played the role as someone who is desperate and, frankly, irritating. That makes perfect sense, but I found Caissie Levy's Rose plainly sympathetic, the kind of insensitive-but-well-meaning we (i?) recognize all too well. It was a totally different and much appreciated take on the role. (and of course, she does wonders with the vocals)"

I don't know if I have the right words for it but I generally agree. Veanne comes across as more... 90's neurotic. Like a character from Frasier. I like both interpretations but I prefer Caissie's because it feels more contemporary and thus true to me in this moment. For me, Caissie plays up the liberal guilt and awareness of/discomfort with her privilege. We don't get to see her with other characters but I didn't feel like the nervousness was part of her personality type. She seems to be made anxious by moving across the country and being an outsider, by Caroline, by the family dinner, etc. But I can see her being relaxed outside of the house in her day to day life. Caissie also seems more genuinely intimidated by Caroline.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#99CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 11/2/21 at 12:57pm

I always assumed they cast Veanne precisely because she’s *not* really a singer. It made her feel slightly awkward and like she was TRYING so hard, which fits perfectly with the character. She wanted to be liked so badly, and she got nothing in return. I adored her performance. Have Had the chance to briefly speak with her about the show over the years, and she has nothing but pride and admiration for the show and the work they all did.

Caissie has a very different take on the character, and it works just as well, which is one of my favorite aspects about this piece. We can clearly see how differently the performances are being approached, yet it still works.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Videos