Best Finales

bwaybaby891
#75re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 12:33pm

Glinda's Candy, I'm crying reading this. I love the finale to Wicked because it represented so much. I mean the fact that Elphie is never going to see Glinda, the one friend she ever had, again because she is a fugitive (in a sense). Also because Glinda has tried to become really good to help improve Oz because she can't help Elphie and thinks she's... get it? Well Glinda's Candy, I totally agree.

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#76re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 12:37pm

Les Miz
Boy From Oz
LSOH
Spamalot
La Boheme
(I wish I had a better memory)

joeybiltmore1
#77re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 4:36pm

"Carousel" because it's so moving.
"Titanic" because it's so powerful.
and "Hairspray" because it's just so damn fun.

Also = props to the "Fiddler" revival for adding that bit of "To Life" after the bows for an upbeat, life-affirming finale to a somber second act.

Derek
#78re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 5:31pm

GODSPELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glinda's Candy Profile Photo
Glinda's Candy
#79re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 8:07pm

OMG bwaybaby891!! You have totally got it!! That is what Wicked is all about!! Thank god someone can see the sadness behind "For Good". I mean, I remember crying AFTER the show for hours! It's just so tragic - no matter what either of the witches have tried to do in their lives and as much as they have tried to 'make good' and help eachother, it has basically all gone horribly wrong and they have to live the rest of their lives with a huge part missing (eachother...). That's why the ending lines of "No-one Mourns the Wicked" are so painful - Elphie did nothing wrong!
NorbertLeo'sB (name still cracks me up) I def agree that it is more sad for Glinda but I like Glinda better so... sympathy pains??!
X

I got you. Yeah, I got you on camera - you on candid camera now... An' you ain't know that...

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#80re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 8:09pm

Yeah For Good really got me when I was listening to it. :-P

And yes, the finale in LSoH was quite impressive. re: Best Finales

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

stagemaster333 Profile Photo
stagemaster333
#81re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 9:51pm

I really love the ending of Pippin, especially the alternate one my school is doing. I'm kinda suprised it hasn't been mentioned yet (only once I mean), either positivly or negativly. The finale is just so unique.

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#82re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 9:53pm

The Boy From Oz
Aida

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

msutton
#83re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 9:57pm

the only finales that have really grabbed me and stuck with me are Sweeny Todd's and the beautiful and poetic ending to Phantom of the Opera

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#84re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 11:15pm

Kangaroo, just out of curiosity, who is that a pic of on your Avatar?

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#85re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 11:27pm

Sunday in the Park with George
Into the Woods
Sweeney Todd
Cabaret
Nine
Bare
Taboo
Rent
Blood Brothers
Les Miserables
The Phantom of the Opera
Carousel
Hairspray
Big River
Titanic
(Angels in America
Closer
Bent
'Night Mother) final scenes

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#86re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/11/05 at 11:31pm

Ragtime (makes me cry everytime)
Parade ( I love a good choir)
Hairspray (What a way to end the show)
One Mo' Time (Also on a feel good note)
Tommy (The louder they sing, the better)
Avenue Q (I love "For now" - "Each time you smile, it'll only last awhile" - such a negatively hysterical statement)

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

cathyhyatt
#87re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/14/05 at 11:48am

dracula does have a great finale...i dont care who is gonna shoot me for this...

but come on now, i mean dracula is one of my favorite musicalsss

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

FabalaCohen
#88re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/14/05 at 12:18pm

Rent- Whenever Mark starts singing "There is no future..." (The whole Mimi coming back to life part just is just cheesy to me.)

Titantic- (Gotta love digging up the cast recordings and falling back in love with a show)I liked how they had the dead characters walk out slowly during the last bits of dialouge

Phantom- Meg finding the mask on the throne. Priceless. Perfect. Nuff said.

And even though I have yet to see it (Grr), "For Now" from Avenue Q- whenever Princeton sings the last line. ALWAYS gets me.

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#89re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/14/05 at 5:38pm

RAGTIME. Especially when Mother kneels down and calls "Coalhouse!" ::sigh::

WiCkEd BaCcHaE Profile Photo
WiCkEd BaCcHaE
#90re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/16/05 at 12:52pm

One we have all forgotten...

ASSASSINS

Talk about becoming so terrified you nearly wet youself...

As far as plays go...

Marat/Sade
Angels in America (Perestroika)

Marat/Sade is so terrifying b/c there are times you forget that you are actually watching a play. By the time the play is done, you just feel like the whole world has been turned upside down. After seeing a well-done production of this play, you will NEVER be the same person ever again.

Angels is simply spectacular. Only Kushner has the power to pull you in to these characters lives, make you go through hell with them, and by the end, make it so worth it that you wanna do it all over again.

"Truth is rarely pure and never simple."- Oscar Wilde

"If I could only do one thing before I died, it would be to swim with a middle-aged couple from Connecticut."- a dolphin

#91re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/16/05 at 1:11pm

I'm with Rent too...

and even though I don't love the show, I think Phantom has a fantastic ending.

And of course, Lippa's Wild Party.

If only Confrontation was the finale to Jekyll...

Phantom487
#92re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/16/05 at 2:24pm

Cathy Rigby flying over the audience at the end of "Peter Pan".... amazing!

BSoBW2
#93re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/16/05 at 2:26pm

Les Mis
POTO
LSOH

TheatreManiac Profile Photo
TheatreManiac
#94re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:41pm

Hairspray
Bombay Dreams
Rent

"Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker" -- Willy Wonka

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#95re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/17/05 at 1:53pm

Sweeney Todd (The whole thing with the dead coming back is great)
Suday in the Park with George (Just incredible cuz it doesnt really end its like a new begining)
Company (Being Alive is sucha moving song)
Wicked (Im not gonna spoil it for whoever hasnt seen it but it was absolutly incredible, I can't watch the Wizard of Oz cuz its like wrong)

AND THE BEST FOR LAST
Phantom of the Opera (It is the best however when Hugh Pabaro does it but its just an amazing ending)

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

sciguy
#96re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/17/05 at 3:26pm

Two stick out in my mind:

Having never seen the movie and knowing nothing about the show, the ending of Cabaret totally blew me away.. But my all time favorite finale is defintely Les Miz!!
Do you hear the people sing?

sciguy
#97re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/17/05 at 3:30pm

I forgot to include the best finale to a play.
MEDEA....most of the audience was so numb by the end that it took a short while for the thunderous applause to start. I still remember the look of shock on my two friends who had problems talking for a few minutes after the performance. We still all agree that Medea was by far the best play we have seen on Broadway.

ElTico68 Profile Photo
ElTico68
#98re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/17/05 at 3:54pm

OMG... only 3 people put down "A Chorus Line".

Have you all not seen the show, not even regional/community theater productions? The finale in the show is so incredibly amazing. As an audience member, it's a stunner... see the cast come out one by one to take their bow, and slowly become ONE in perfect sinc. As a performer, it's so awesome to be there and hear the audience cheering... and when they don't cheer because they don't realize they're watching the bows it's even more chilling.

Happy, smile! Sad, frown! Use the corresponding face with the corresponding emotion! - Kate (Meg Ryan), French Kiss

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#99re: Best Finales
Posted: 3/17/05 at 3:59pm

for chorus line what is more thrilling for me is Paul's speech about his dad and him.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Videos