pixeltracker

Vocal flubs on cast recordings....- Page 4

Vocal flubs on cast recordings....

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#75GOODBYE GIRL?
Posted: 3/9/06 at 5:57pm

Like someone said earlier, not exactly a vocal flub, but I have been told that one of the biggest cast album flubs, actually happened courtesy of a pit musician! On one of the earlier Gypsy soundtracks, you can hear a drumstick fall off a stand, hit the floor loudly and roll across it durring the overture! Not sure which album it is, but if anyone has all of em, and you have heard it, please feel free to give a report!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#76GYPSY
Posted: 3/9/06 at 6:21pm

I have heard this reported before (it's not the movie soundtrack, it supposedly happens on the original Broadway cast album with Ethel Merman) If anyone can pinpoint where, I would like to hear it.

On the WEST SIDE STORY cast album there is an audible click just after the Scherzo on the "Somewhere Ballet" - just before the vocalist starts to sing "There's a place for us..."

These flubs were relatively minor and would often be swallowed by the RIAA roll-off and the noise of the vinyl (or shellac for the old 78 RPM records.) Now when re-mastered for CD, these become more apparent...but that's part of the charm of these albums. Like a theatrical performance they are "live" and anything can happen.

Also, in the early days of recording the performers were back a bit from the mic so they could project without taxing the systems. Now they are so closely mic'ed there is no space between their mouth and my ear. I prefer the open more spacious sound of the earlier recordings. They have a you-are-there-in-the-theatre feel to them. But with the open mic policy, there is more chance of outside noises creeping in.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#77GYPSY
Posted: 3/9/06 at 6:37pm

Dang, Sanda stole mine about Mandy coming in with Robert Westenberg during Lily's Eyes. It really bothers me. An overall flub would be the Once Upon A Mattress recording. There are so many rank notes in there...I'm pretty sure it's usually one woman who is always sticking out in the chords.

And the guy's lisp in Footloose bothers me to the point that I can no longer listen to him.

FoscasBohemianDream
#78Annie CD
Posted: 3/9/06 at 10:57pm

I actually found the part of the song "I Don't Need Anything But You" where Reid comes in early, it's when Andrea sings: "You used to need work to fill every hour," as Andrea starts to sing, you hear Reid coming in and stopping.

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#79Annie CD
Posted: 3/10/06 at 1:24am

"on Les Mis concert someone sings "uh huh" when they should have been singin Look Down on the prologue or something like that..."
ok, so it wasn't just me, lol. I've often thought if it was supposed to be that way but I guess not.

And also I've noticed the Scherzo thing, I does think there is something nice about these sort of things though, it makes it so real actually.

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

ally_kay_on_broadway Profile Photo
ally_kay_on_broadway
#80Annie CD
Posted: 3/10/06 at 2:01am

what i noticed here is probably because of how jet-lagged my boyfriend and i were:

we were a long flight home and were trying to catch some z's while listening to some broadway. During aida's 'written in the stars' at the 'a lifetime of not knowing'line, it sounds like a slur/fart. 'of not' sounds like its going 'of-pfft-not'

well....we thought it was pretty damn funny. After a few playbacks we got over it :P

"talent is wanting something hard enough to work for it" - my drama teacher :)

oopsydaisy
#81re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/10/06 at 11:10am

In the OBC of "The Life" Sam Harris cracks in the middle of his long sustained note at the end of "Use What you Got" It is a super long note, but I always figured someone would notice and have him just punch in that note. It is so easy to fix

Another on a recording of "Anytime" from Infinite joy-the songs of william finn, Norm Lewis has a vocal fry that caught my attention at the end on the sustained "There" while i was listening to it today. Granted it was a live recording, and he is an AMAZING singer, i feel bad when singers get captured forever on a recording with a mistake. I know that would always bug me!!!

OK...the sutton this is just irritating. I am such a fan, and it bugs me. but at least it makes her human :)

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#82re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/10/06 at 12:30pm

I notice a couple of flubs that are probably more technical than vocal. At one point in Aida CD (can't remember where), Pascal's voice REALLY messes up the mic or something. Briefly gets really muffled and feedback-y. (Not just my CD-- another friend noticed too.)

Also, on the Complete... Miss Saigon CD, a tuba or something messes up big time, blurting out an unexpected note. Can't quite remember where either (at work without my iPod). I'll post specifics if I remember later...

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#83re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/11/06 at 5:03pm

Not so much vocal flubs, but I'm convinced a cell phone rings near the end of "Cry For Me" on the Jersey Boys OBCR. And it always bugs me how Erica Piccininni sings a totally different way on the CD then she does in the show - on the CD, the singing is breathy and light, but it's more strong and loud in the show.

I listen to Jersey Boys maybe too much...

Josh Freilich
#84re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/11/06 at 5:09pm

In the Frogs OBCR, Nathan Lane makes a bit of a flub. The lyric in the "I Love To Travel" reprise is supposed to go "Exploring shady glade and making merry with the wood nymphs". Nathan stumbles on his l's and r's, and he instead says "Exproring" instead of "Exploring."

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

circusliz Profile Photo
circusliz
#85re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/11/06 at 9:48pm

At the end of "Hear My Song" in Songs for a New World, the three voices holding "fine" while the woman sings "A new world/ calls across the ocean" are not well blended. Someone is really off key (I'll have to go listen to figure out exactly who) and each individual's volume keeps changing. It could be that they were all supposed to crescendo, but if that's the case then their unison was way off.

On the road of life, do not pause for suicidal chipmunks who freeze in your headlights, seeking death by your tires...

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#86re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/12/06 at 12:14am

Idina screws up during "For Good" when she sings "It well may be..." VERY flat.

Mackenzi, I've heard that too.
Updated On: 3/12/06 at 12:14 AM

#87re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/12/06 at 2:30am

"And the guy's lisp in Footloose bothers me to the point that I can no longer listen to him. "

i can't take it seriously. he has a very important song in the show, and it's ruined. why was he even cast? and why, how, i, ahhh... it's absolutely ridiculous!

#88re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/12/06 at 2:34am

Don't know if anyone else mentioned it...Sam Harris at the end of Use What You Got, his long held not way up there - it sounds like it starts to unravel.

#89re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/12/06 at 4:40am

I think it's a personal tick of mine. I'm just so used to the Bernadette of say "Into the Woods" and "Sunday in the Park..." that some of the stuff that may be character on "The Goodbe Girl" sounds just plain bad to me. It's mostly her interjection during "Richard Interred." Character or no character, there's no need to sound like that. At all. But I love Bernadette anyhow.

Also, has anyone noticed a Windex-smudgy kind of sound just after Kim begins singing during "The Movie in My Mind" on the complete symphonic recording of "Miss Saigon?"

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#90re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/12/06 at 9:55am

AIDA OBC... hated... HATED that Adam Pascal sings the line... "anonymous and gone to mow"... aaarrggh... oh well

Oooooh, so that's what he's saying. I always thought it was "and none of us have got to know, enchantment passing through."

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Josh Freilich
#91re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/12/06 at 7:30pm

Was this supposed to be misheard lyrics instead of vocal MISTAKES?
Sorry, just wanted to ask.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#92re: vocal flubs
Posted: 3/12/06 at 7:53pm

Was this supposed to be misheard lyrics instead of vocal MISTAKES?
Sorry, just wanted to ask.

I was just adding to something, but thanks for bumping the thread up so you allowed more people to see my "off topic" response. :)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#93re: vocal flubs
Posted: 6/6/07 at 5:08pm

At the end of The Last Goodbye on the Spelling Bee OBC, you can hear Jesse mumble "Oh wait, that's me, how do you turn this off?" It cracks me up every time I hear it.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#94re: vocal flubs
Posted: 6/6/07 at 5:26pm

i've got a good one that may or may not have already been mentioned..

in the SPRING AWAKENING recording, in "the bitch of living" during the part that john gallagher sings "gettin outta bed" towards the end.. you can hear him let out a raspberry spit thing on the word bed.. so it sounds like "getting outta psssp-bed".. listen for it next time, it's really funny, haha. =)

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

elvisitis1302 Profile Photo
elvisitis1302
#95re: vocal flubs
Posted: 6/6/07 at 6:58pm

On "The Wild Party" Recording (LaChiusa) in the song "People Like Us," the lyric goes:
People like us,
We get BY through the day...

On the recording it is sung:
People like us,
We get through the day...

Missing the word "by" - a minor thing, but still counts

Laurhearts SA Profile Photo
Laurhearts SA
#96re: vocal flubs
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:06pm

Wicked: In the song "Thank Goodness" Kristin sings "There's a kind of a sort of" and on the last "of" she sounds like a duck.

bwaymizfit2
#97re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 10:21am

Bumping an old thread, but I didn't see this one mentioned...

Austin Pendleton, "Fiddler on the Roof" OBC: the last note of Miracle of Miracles is very, VERY flat. He starts flat, and you keep hoping that he's at least going to scoop up to it....and then he doesn't

bwayfan9
#98re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 11:02am

listen to Daphne Very Closely when she sings "Oh What'd Ya Do With My Candle" light my candle in the OBCR for rent. listen to her very closely when she sings candle, she cracks a bit, it amuses me

Obama/Biden 08

blondebaby589 Profile Photo
blondebaby589
#99re: vocal flubs
Posted: 10/20/08 at 11:20am

hahaha Kitzarina I thought no one noticed but our cast! One night during a sing through, our reverend attempted "Heaven Help Me" in full lisp mode. The director put an end to that very quickly.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

Videos