#77re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:55am

Laura Bell Bundy- Wicked
Eden Espinosa- Wicked

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#78re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:07am

Definately Maureen Moore in Grey Gardens!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#79re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:11am

Yes definately Maureen Moore in Grey Gardens. I saw her once and then kept going back whenever I heard she was going on.

turquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
#80re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 6:26am

On the West End I don't ever recall seeing a bad understudy. I was disapointed when I first saw The Woman in White that Michael Crawford AND Maria Freidman were out, but I loved the show anyway.

I absolutly loved Annalen Beechey (standby Glinda) In Wicked, and went back specially to see her a second time. Also Cassidy Janson (now standby Elphaba) Is great.

I never see a show for a 'name' but I can understand disapointment when that name doesn't go on. The understudies (and standbys) have a hard job but I find that they use their rare chances in the main role to shine.

A recent example is The Drowsy Chaperone (which closed far too soon over here). Mrs Tottendale was played for the end of the run by Nina French who was far too young for the role as written but gave an excellent performance. I also saw the understudy for Laura Michelle Kelly in Lord of the Rings, she was great too.

The only poor understudys have been on 'cheap' tours (Joseph springs to mind) but usually the are great, and quite often not even announced - and most people don't seem to notice

Freckles1329 Profile Photo
Freckles1329
#81re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 7:26am

Robyn Hurder as Holly in "The Wedding Singer"

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#82re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 7:27am

My favorite by far has been Linda Mugleston. I've seen her go on for Marin Mazzie in Kiss Me Kate twice, brilliant both times. And I also saw her as the Witch in Into the Woods (revival, going on for Vanessa Williams), also brilliant. She was also one of the covers for Donna Murphy in Wonderful Town, so I'm sure someone caught her in that, I unfortunately didn't. She's going to be in Young Frankenstein, and I can only guess, but I be she's covering Megan and Andrea, just a guess though.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#83re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 7:58am

The first time I saw Wicked I wasn't living in NYC...I was up here for a conference and my parents bought me a ticket for my birthday (after I did all my research and basically called my mom and said "If you're giving it to me, here's where you need to go NOW." Nicely of course.) Cheno was already gone, but Idina was still in. Well, I got to the theatre and there was the "In tonight's performance, the role of..." Yep. Elphaba. I almost cried. But I saw Kristy Cates in what I learned was her second performance and LOVED it! She did a great job...and the energy she brought was amazing.

Just a few weeks ago I saw Valisia (sp?) in 110 as Snookie. I really liked her take on the character. She was still goofy, but not...how to say this...not pre-pubescent goofy, which as much as I loved Carla is how her Snookie always came off to me. Pre-adolescent.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 8/7/07 at 07:58 AM

...5678 Profile Photo
#84re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 9:06am

- Matthew Scott as Frankie Valli
- Peter Matthew Smith as Roger (back in the day...)

Cass
#85re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:20am

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Maureen Moore in Grey Gardens!!!

Cass
#86re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 10:24am

I didn't see Nina Negri's Cosette re: Understudies but I did see her in The King and I. What a freakin' voice!!
Updated On: 8/7/07 at 10:24 AM

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#87re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:48pm

I second Loolu regarding Niki Scalera as Jane. She gave her own performance of the role with some pleasant, subtle differences from Jenn, and sang the heck out of it. I've also seen her in a workshop since then and she's got an awesome voice and good comedic timing. I haven't had a great desire to see Hairspray again, but probably will after August 14th when she begins to play the role of Penny.

On the Tarzan understudies (alumni?) front, Josh Kobak also did a fine job covering for Josh Strickland. I'd certainly like to see him in other roles. Maybe I'm odd, but once I've seen a show with the featured cast, I kind of look forward to seeing undertudies, just to see what they do with the part. I know most folks are hoping to see X playing Y in the role of Z, but it's always nice to see X's take on Z.

Wow, if you figured that out, try this... two trains leave Chicago at 4:00 p.m...

shiz_student94
#88re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:55pm

By far Tina Maddigan in The Wedding Singer. I already knew I was buying tickets to see her, because I wanted to see her (I had seen her in Mamma Mia-Amazing!) and I was so thrilled to see her. And in my opinion, I prefer Tina over Laura (Although Laura is incredibly talented!)
I've seen Meghan Dreyfuss on in Mamma Mia! numerous times, and she has blown me away every time!
OH!! And someone mentioned the Chicago cast of Wicked, so I'll through that in there. Kate Fahrner, is BY FAR the best Nessa I've EVER heard and seen. She is amazing. I was so pleased to get to enjoy her in that role 4 times =D

"Sing 'till you're breaking glass or you're breaking down"

Marianne Profile Photo
Marianne
#89re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 3:55pm

Nikki Renée Daniels as Fantine. What a voice.

#90re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 4:16pm

Kenita Miller as Celie
Aimee Garcia as Kate Monster/Lucy T Slut

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#91re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 4:27pm

Recent favorites have to be:
Nikki Renee Daniels as Fantine (Les Mis)
Nadine Isenegger as Cassie (A Chorus Line)
Andy Karl as Emmett (Legally Blonde)
Becky Gulsvig as Elle (Legally Blonde)
Kelly Karbacz as Maureen (Rent)
Curtis Holbrook as Sonny (Xanadu)
Jim Daly as Luke (Altar Boyz)
David Baum as Bobby (A Chorus Line)

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#92re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 4:28pm

Best understudy experiences...

Lisa Brescia in Woman in White - so composed and her voice is beautiful, really.

Colin Hanlon in Rent as Mark - he was just adorable. I would have liked to see him do it again.

Patti Conheur as Margaret in Light in the Piazza - though eventually I would go to see her on purpose since she was less of an understudy, more of an alternate towards the end. I think I actually enjoyed her more than Victoria.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#93re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 5:25pm

One of my favorites was Matt Doyle as Melchior in SPRING AWAKENING. He played the role a bit different, even though sick, sang the heck out of the role.

Becky Gulsvig was also excellent as Elle Woods in LEGALLY BLONDE.

Haven't seen many shows where the leads are out...

broadwayhoney Profile Photo
broadwayhoney
#94re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 5:36pm

Katie Micha as Cindy Lou in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". An 11 year old going on with 1/2 hour notice! Great job!

g4rat Profile Photo
g4rat
#95re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 5:36pm

When I saw spring awakening back in March(my first time), it was Krysta Rodriguez's first time going on for Lea as Wendla, I remember how almost everyone in the theatre made a big "awww!" when they made the announcement(couldn't have been very encouraging for Krysta to hear). I was thoroughly suprised as to how natural Krysta was in the role, for it being her first time, she was very innocent and beleivable. I kind of think she played the role with more depth and colors than Lea.

When she came out at the stage door everyone gave her a huge applause.....Mainly because Jonathan Groff started to cheer when Krysta came out, but she still was amazing.

g4rat Profile Photo
g4rat
#96re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 5:46pm

matt schneider they were going to have a category for best replacements in a broadway show, they were going to start it on the 2006 tonys......but it didn't work out, there were too many things to consider.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#97re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 8:27pm

Maureen Moore in Grey Gardens
Kelly KArbacz as Maureen in Rent

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

#98re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 9:19pm

I could kick myself for not seeing Patti Cohenour in Light....what a mistake I'm sure...

dashb10ard
#99re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/07 at 9:32pm

Definitely Courtney Laine Mazza as Judy in A CHORUS LINE. Absolutely fantastic.

Videos