News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 41

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#1000SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/16/23 at 12:06pm

Cast and creative team will be doing a CD and Vinyl signing tomorrow (Tuesday 10/17) at the Museum of Broadway, 4:30pm. Album purchase at the Museum required for entry. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

sparklingtonic2
#1001SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/20/23 at 1:14pm

Does anyone know whether Ghee, Borle, or Hicks have days/nights they take off or any announced absences for December? I didn't see anything on the show website, but I wanted to check here too.

Thank you!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1002SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/20/23 at 2:30pm

I hope they are all in tonight. I got tickets as a gift for two friends for this evening (10/20).  Bought them before Ghee had to be out of the show.

Just give the world Love.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#1003SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/20/23 at 2:45pm

I have seen dates for covers of Hicks and Borle, but they are for this month. We’ll probably find out any scheduled absences in the coming weeks, or beginning of December. Borle has missed a LOT of the run, but I’m positive it’s production approved as he’s working on other projects while also doing the show, which he has special credits for. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1004SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/20/23 at 8:10pm

My friends just texted me a pic of the At This Performance slip for tonight and DeMarius is on. Looks like everyone else is in and Dan Horn is joining the cast as a Swing.

Just give the world Love.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1005SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/21/23 at 3:13pm

For what it's worth, although it's a shame to miss a Tony-winning performance I thought DeMarius was quite charming in the role and has a certain level of charisma/youthfulness that it's actually hard for me to imagine Ghee in the role. It didn't really feel like an 'understudy' performance to me personally. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

GottaGetAGimmick420
#1006SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 1:34am

https://x.com/darianjofficial/status/1738748003479847233?s=46&t=uBGDI6NvQcBRmZWjCiJ94A

interested in what the board thinks 

I'm just here so I don't get fined

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#1007SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 3:17am

Saw this again last Wed after having seen the first preview. They tightened it and minimized the whole sex preference matter.  But it’s strange how the whole show just doesn’t satisfy. None of the songs pop. The dialogue and jokes never seem to land.  And the music sounds generic with no real hits. Choreography  is nonstop with not much impact. There is such a thing as too much of everything. That’s what happens here. No rest or variation or spark. Just lots of bludgeoning. 

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#1008SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 2:06pm

GottaGetAGimmick420 said: "https://x.com/darianjofficial/status/1738748003479847233?s=46&t=uBGDI6NvQcBRmZWjCiJ94A

interested in what the board thinks
"

I think it's valid to say that this show was hampered by musical crossdressing fatigue, which the advertising did absolutely nothing to alleviate, perhaps out of fear of alienating a portion of its potential audience. The cloud hanging over this show isn't tiktok vitriol, it's indifference.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#1009SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 2:19pm

I would agree that had this come out before Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire, it would’ve been a hit. For me, it’s an old-school song-and-dance extravaganza in a way that we don’t see much anymore.

Broadway is in a weird place right now. You have the old theater goers who probably loved everything about this except maybe the “I like who I am and I don’t have to define who that is” speech that Daphne gives and then you have the newer audiences who love and applaud for those moments. I find myself to be part of the former, but not because of the sentiment behind it. Had Daphne just kept living the way they wanted to, it would’ve been a perfect show, and as an audience member, I would’ve been happy for them. I didn’t need the speech to bang me over the head. I think that’s the difficulty that some shows are having now. Which group do we appeal to - do we give big speeches about inclusivity and acceptance because, of course, we want our audience to learn from our stories, or do we tell a story that perhaps teaches that message more subtly and allows them to figure it out for themselves?

yyys
#1010SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 2:43pm

I agree with skip23

It's just overall a very dull show. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#1011SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 9:52pm

It is impossible to placate the vociferous chorus.  This show was doomed from the beginning because it attempted to do so, thereby stepping on its own punchline.  

Jarethan
#1012SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/23 at 12:54am

This show would have been a hit if two things had been different:

1.  It had a good score, which it does not.

2.  Had Sugar been a better-defined character and been given something to sing other than ballads, which all sounded the same.  

With the exception of the actress playing Sugar, the cast was excellent.  The production values were terrific.  The direction, choreography and orchestrations were somewhere between solid and excellent.  Let down mainly by the score. (I have to admit that, 6 onths later, I don't remember much about the book, but I remember thinking it was a lot better than the score,

idioteque...
#1013SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/23 at 6:38pm

Has anyone won lottery in last 2 weeks? They took it off tdf and I am wondering if they are still doing balcony seats for this on lottery? I know tdf it went to orch finally.

seems like show still isnt selling out and i am getting fomo this last week after putting it off.

summerwind03
#1014SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/23 at 9:03pm

Won the lottery last Wednesday matinee.  Seats were front row balcony.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1015SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 12:53pm

Who’s seeing tonight’s closing performance?

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1016SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 5:00pm

tonight's closing performance is at TKTS for 50% off.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1017SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 5:00pm

National tour launches in September, per Shaiman. 

It’s hard to imagine it’ll sell any better than it did in NY, but I hope it finds an audience in London. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1018SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 5:40pm

I see this show being heavily produced by Regional theaters in 3-4 years and then community theaters in 5-6 years.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#1019SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 8:56pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "National tour launchesin September, per Shaiman.

It’s hard to imagine it’ll sell any better than it did in NY, but I hope it finds an audience in London.
"

I played the cast album to some of my London friends and they were obsessed! I think British audiences are gonna love this musical! Hopefully I’m not wrong! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jarethan
#1020SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 9:01pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "National tour launchesin September, per Shaiman.

"

Remember: subscription audience.  It will do fine on tour.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1021SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 10:14pm

ACL2006 said: "I see this show being heavily produced by Regional theaters in 3-4 years and then community theaters in 5-6 years."

For licensing, the challenge with this show will always be that it requires a large number of people of color. Data shows that musicals with that level of specificity don't get licensed nearly as much as shows that could be performed by people of any race. It requires a level of diversity of talent pool that some places just don't have. (This impacts community and school licensing more than the big Regional theatres)

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1022SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 10:19pm

Jarethan said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "National tour launchesin September, per Shaiman.

"

Remember: subscription audience. It will do fine on tour.
"

Regional theatre subscriptions have also plummeted since the shutdown, which leaves the UK as the show's only hope of success. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1023SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 11:17pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Regional theatre subscriptions have also plummeted since the shutdown, which leaves the UK as the show's only hope of success."

This is less about subscribers and more about touring having a per-week Guarantee, plus a split of any earnings above that. While the tour is its own capitalization, it will likely be less than Broadway, and the tour pays a Royalty back to the Broadway entity every week. The tour personnel might also be able to be scaled down a bit compared to Broadway, and that + larger touring houses makes for a better profit margin.

I don't know how much, if any, was distributed on Broadway, which means slooowly chipping away at a $17.5mil capitalization through touring, international, and regional/amateur licensing.

That the show ran more than a year on Broadway + won a few Tonys is good for its brand identity and name value, compared to something that ran 6 months and is trying to use the above method to make back its money.

Updated On: 12/30/23 at 11:17 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1024SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 11:26pm

That was great tonight. I do love this show and I’ll miss it a lot, hopefully I’ll be able to catch it on the West End. Several moments where actors were visibly moved by the response they got after their songs. I could see Ghee and Hicks tear up after two of their songs. A nice short speech from Nicholaw at curtain call. He was joined onstage the whole creative team which was nice to see. I was hoping for the impossible that Mariah Carey would come out lol

Updated On: 12/30/23 at 11:26 PM

Videos