pixeltracker

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018- Page 44

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#1075FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 9:51am

Disney is definitely going to leave it as is because they'll make tons of money from it based on title recognition and that song.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#1077FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 11:36am

theatregoer3 said: "On a side note, I'm surprised they returned to Denver. Disney had a big misstep on their hands with Mermaid. It's strange they decided to return to the scene of that crime."

The audience feedback for TLM was positive in Denver, plus with the new theater, I don't find it that surprising. They often go back to places they have broken ground before - the national tour of BATB opened in Minneapolis, and two years later TLK had it's world premiere there. Also, Disney made significant changes to TLM between it's tryout and Broadway runs. 

I liked the idea of Frozen on stage, but it wasn't the first thing I thought of after seeing the film. I was nervous they would take the easy route and base portions of the production off of theme park & cruise productions, which they seem to have. I'm glad I didn't pay for flights/tickets to see this in Denver. It's disappointing that they aren't doing everything they can for this show, given it is their most successful original movie in recent years.

I see this having a decent run, maybe as long as Mary Poppins had in London, but not much longer.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
Updated On: 8/23/17 at 11:36 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1078FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 12:06pm

I was not aware they had a workshop in London. Any idea who was in that cast?

and now we have an opening night date! https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Mark-Your-Calendar-FROZEN-Announces-Opening-Night-on-Broadway-20170823

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#1079FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 12:09pm

Call_me_jorge said: "and now we have an opening night date! https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Mark-Your-Calendar-FROZEN-Announces-Opening-Night-on-Broadway-20170823"

For everyone who looked at the online calendar when tickets went on sale and couldn't figure out why that one date wasn't available...

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#1080FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 12:11pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "And plus the lead troll is a white man"

Yes... yes, he is.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#1081FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 12:41pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I was not aware they had a workshop in London. Any idea who was in that cast?"

No idea. Don't think they were big names. They just needed bodies to move about in a space.

JennH
#1082FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 1:15pm

haterobics said: "Call_me_jorge said: "and now we have an opening night date! https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Mark-Your-Calendar-FROZEN-Announces-Opening-Night-on-Broadway-20170823"

For everyone who looked at the online calendar when tickets went on sale and couldn't figure out why that one date wasn't available...

And that picture...ok I might have been seeing things, but was that shorter, baby doll dress, for the young Elsa's and I just didn't see it clearly? Either way, the one in that pic is better. 
"

Well March 14 wasn't available either as has been mentioned a few times, it was another possible candidate, but a month is better than three weeks I feel. But then again, considering a show is (gag) frozen by the start of previews, I guess it doesn't matter how long a preview period is.

Updated On: 8/23/17 at 01:15 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#1084FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 2:29pm

haterobics said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "And plus the lead troll is a white man"

Yes... yes, he is.

"

Brilliant! 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#1085FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 4:17pm

ukpuppetboy said: "Personally I assume that for this single number (rightly or wrongly the most famous "Broadway" showtune of this era) this creative team wanted it to speak for itself as far as possible."

First, could not agree more that we shouldn't be judging a show based on a short bootleg clip of an early out-of-town tryout performance. I have no doubt that that costume change is very exciting live.

That said... if this is about the 'most famous "Broadway" showtune of its era' speaking for itself, then there should be a spectacle. Part of the reason the song took off the way it did is because of the animation in that sequence in the film. Up until that point, we've seen Elsa create snow and ice with her hands, but don't know the extent of her powers (...neither does she, apparently). "Let It Go" is literally about her LETTING GO of the fear that's been holding her back... "it's time to see what I can do/to test the limits and break through"... and for the first time we see this incredible spectacle that, at least to me seeing it for the first time, was significantly more thrilling than I expected. The creation of the ice palace took my breath away! The animation itself in that scene is a feast of SFX pushing past the limits of what we're used to seeing in a Disney animated feature. The song did not blow up in popularity based on vocals alone. (Case in point that if you watch little kids "performing" it, they almost always make Elsa's snow-making gesture with their hands. The music is inextricably tied to the visual.)

So to present this as a minimalist piece, to me defeats the entire purpose of the song. This was Disney's chance to "test the limits and break through," and if what comes to Broadway is the same as what we're seeing in that clip, I think they've failed. There is a time and a place for minimalism to be used brilliantly. The Band's Visit is a perfect example. Frozen is not. People are expecting a spectacle, and there's no reason with Disney's resources that they couldn't have created one.

Updated On: 8/23/17 at 04:17 PM

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#1086FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 5:32pm

JudyDenmark said: "ukpuppetboy said: "Personally I assume that for this single number (rightly or wrongly the most famous "Broadway" showtune of this era) this creative team wanted it to speak for itself as far as possible."

First, could not agree more that we shouldn't be judging a show based on a short bootleg clip of an early out-of-town tryout performance. I have no doubt that that costume change is very exciting live.

That said... if this is about the 'most famous "Broadway" showtune of its era' speaking for itself, then there should be a spectacle. Part of the reason the song took off the way it did is because of the animation in that sequence in the film. Up until that point, we've seen Elsa create snow and ice with her hands, but don't know the extent of her powers (...neither does she, apparently). "Let It Go" is literally about her LETTING GO of the fear that's been holding her back... "it's time to see what I can do/to test the limits and break through"... and for the first time we see this incredible spectacle that, at least to me seeing it for the first time, was significantly more thrilling than I expected. The creation of the ice palace took my breath away! The animation itself in that scene is a feast of SFX pushing past the limits of what we're used to seeing in a Disney animated feature. The song did not blow up in popularity based on vocals alone. (Case in point that if you watch little kids "performing" it, they almost always make Elsa's snow-making gesture with their hands. The music is inextricably tied to the visual.)

So to present this as a minimalist piece, to me defeats the entire purpose of the song. This was Disney's chance to "test the limits and break through," and if what comes to Broadway is the same as what we're seeing in that clip, I think they've failed. There is a time and a place for minimalism to be used brilliantly. The Band's Visit is a perfect example. Frozen is not. People are expecting a spectacle, and there's no reason with Disney's resources that they couldn't have created one.

"

For real, if 9 to 5 can have columns rising from the stage, why can't frozen have giant ice columns rise up? Have her raise herself up on a giant balcony that comes from the stage, or ice platform. Due something. Give me levels, give me drama, give me technical wizardry, INNOVATE! 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#1087FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 5:35pm

That song is poorly staged.  The backdrop is pretty and it sounds nice, but there's absolutely no levels.  It becomes a simple park and bark number.  It's just a bit bland.  Maybe they'll amp it up more for Broadway.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#1088FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/23/17 at 5:56pm

GeorgeandDot said: "That song is poorly staged.  The backdrop is pretty and it sounds nice, but there's absolutely no levels.  It becomes a simple park and bark number.  It's just a bit bland.  Maybe they'll amp it up more for Broadway."

Isn't that sort of the point of doing the out of town tryout?

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#1089FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 12:09am

Is John Riddel experiencing a heat wave because there ain't nothing Frozen where the sun Does shine !

disneybroadwayfan22
trpguyy
#1091FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 9:08am

SweetLips said: "Is John Riddel experiencing a heat wave because there ain't nothing Frozen where the sun Does shine !"

I can't even begin to understand what this means. 

JennH
#1092FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 9:12am

broadwayboy223 said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Oh man, I'm cringing 

https://metawitches.com/2017/08/21/frozen-the-musical-in-denver-81917-analysis-and-comparison-to-81817/

"

This crap sounds horrible. So tell my why Patti Murin's Anna has become the lead character and it sounds like they've really underwrote Elsa? And again I maintain, why don't the sisters have a duet at the end of the show. WTF is this show supposed to be about if it's not the sisters. 

"

I read that opening night review as well. Yet another person who believes it needed Julie Taymor. HALLELUJAH. But It's also been said she does GREAT work when the story is already solid, which is generally true. This needs major rewrites for that to work. 

I've seen some other reviews but their just random blogs and it's obvious these aren't people educated about the art of theatre. The more I keep hearing about this, the more disappointed I get. Now I see she surrenders rather than fighting during the siege. Like...this is golden opportunity to not only show her magic with stage magic, but an opportunity to show that though she's still regressing back to her old fearful ways, she's still a force to be reckoned with and, oh, maybe ACTUALLY give everyone around her a reason to be scared of her which is the WHOLE DAMN POINT OF HER FEAR! Yes she's afraid of herself, but also, she's also afraid of what people would do if they found out, because like humans are, they're afraid of what they don't know and don't understand, hence everyone calling her a 'monster'. This is like Hercules.  People are afraid of him, though they have no reason to be, because he's as sweet as candy. Except Hercules' arc actually is poignant  enough to be moving, imperfect though the movie is. Just maybe, for more complexity for Elsa, wouldn't it be more interesting if she gave everyone around her a reason to be afraid?? Be more angry and jaded, and actually FIGHT off the people trying to capture her?? 

Updated On: 8/24/17 at 09:12 AM

disneybroadwayfan22
#1093FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:04am

JennH said: " Now I see she surrenders rather than fighting during the siege. Like...this is golden opportunity to not only show her magic with stage magic, but an opportunity to show that though she's still regressing back to her old fearful ways, she's still a force to be reckoned with and, oh, maybe ACTUALLY give everyone around her a reason to be scared of her which is the WHOLE DAMN POINT OF HER FEAR! Yes she's afraid of herself, but also, she's also afraid of what people would do if they found out, because like humans are, they're afraid of what they don't know and don't understand, hence everyone calling her a 'monster'. Just maybe, for more complexity for Elsa, wouldn't it be more interesting if she gave everyone around her a reason to be afraid?? Be more angry and jaded, and actually FIGHT off the people trying to capture her?? "

It's weird because this is the writer and the director of Frozen (Jennifer Lee), who is writing the book. God bless her and her attempt of rewriting the story (in a good way): Jennifer 100% knows what she is doing and while I appreciate that, she is also creating problems for the production. I honestly don't mind at all that Elsa surrenders. It makes sense to the character in my opinion, but it is not giving the story the time to shine. What I am worried now about is how Anna and Elsa are written weaker than the men. It's like Anastasia all over again: Taking away what's so great and original about the heroine(s).

I should have not bought the tickets so soon. This is ending up like Hunchback again: A Disney property that should be so easy to tell, but gets screwed over by book and direction.

Updated On: 8/24/17 at 11:04 AM

broadwayboy223
#1094FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:32am

I just traveled back to the Alex Timbers departing thread and found this gem by Cinders Golightly who imagined if Scott Schwartz had directed Frozen

"A thin, blonde, white actress walks on stage and stops at center. She looks at the audience, and takes a snowball from the ground. She smears it on her face. Snow falls from the grid. Bells ring. Fifteen white people and two people of color surround her. They, too, smear snow on her face. She puts a snowflake in her hair. She is now Elsa. "

Unfortunately even though I hate what he did to Hunchback this would have been more interesting then what's been described here. 

10086Sundays
#1095FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 12:08pm

Re: Elsa surrendering

I think they meant to play it as she tries to deliver a final blow to knock Hans & Wesleton's men away, but it leaves her drained and powerless, so they capture her, not that she gives up when they appear.

Either way, it's incredibly weak and kills Elsa's character development.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#1096FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 1:24pm

adamgreer said: "As disappointing as this is shaping up to be, this is exactly the sort of thing we should have expected when Michael Grandage was announced as the new director. 

Exactly what I thought.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#1097FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 1:31pm

It sounds like the preview draft suffers from some of the same book problems as the second act of Wicked. Elsphaba never gets a chance to be wicked and the bland love plot sucks up too much stage time. 

I'm surprised by reports of the towel clad dance number for Oaken's family. With five principals to develop you don't need to waste time on a throwaway character. If the scene is overly sexual it will be the sort of camp that gets cited in a Ken Mandelbaum or Ethan Mordden book when the show closes. Interesting to see if the number makes it to the New York opening.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#1098FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 2:02pm

BJR said: "adamgreer said: "As disappointing as this is shaping up to be, this is exactly the sort of thing we should have expected when Michael Grandage was announced as the new director. 

Exactly what I thought.
"

SAME

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#1099FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 2:15pm

trpguyy said: "SweetLips said: "Is John Riddel experiencing a heat wave because there ain't nothing Frozen where the sun Does shine !"

I can't even begin to understand what this means. 

Check the photo [and my lurid imagination].

"

VintageSnarker
#1100FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 2:28pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Oh man, I'm cringing 

https://metawitches.com/2017/08/21/frozen-the-musical-in-denver-81917-analysis-and-comparison-to-81817/

"I realized over the weekend what should have occurred to me immediately: The reason for Elsa having a new dress is obvious. All of the little girls already have Elsa’s classic ice dress. Disney needs to put her in a new dress so that they can sell it in the Times Square Disney Store and in the mini Disney Store that will no doubt be part of the remodeled St James Theatre, and then throughout the known universe."

Good point.

I'm less bothered about the consent for nonsexual physical contact that the writer brings up but I'm definitely concerned about shifting the focus of the story from sisterhood to romantic love and making Anna more childish and incompetent.

"He’s a great character, one of my favorites, and I hate that they’ve made him a vehicle for dumbing down Anna’s character. In the movie they argued on equal footing. "

"All of that has been taken from her character and given to Kristoff."

"In the show I saw, these elements, which for me are essential, have been taken away.

In other words, they made the women weak, and that’s not a story I’m interested in."

The lyrics from Elsa's songs also point to unwieldy ideas that as of now, it seems like they don't have a handle on. The messaging really needs to be managed carefully with this show vs. other Disney stage adaptations.

irishgator1
#1101FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 3:16pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "It sounds like the preview draft suffers from some of the same book problems as the second act of Wicked. Elsphaba never gets a chance to be wicked and the bland love plot sucks up too much stage time. 

I'm surprised by reports of the towel clad dance number for Oaken's family. With five principals to develop you don't need to waste time on a throwaway character. If the scene is overly sexual it will be the sort of camp that gets cited in a Ken Mandelbaum or Ethan Mordden book when the show closes. Interesting to see if the number makes it to the New York opening.
"

They had a chorus girl kind of line with high kicks where the actors appear to be naked, with only leaves covering themselves and moved around as appropriate.

Videos