pixeltracker

More security for broadway audiences?- Page 5

More security for broadway audiences?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#100security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:35pm

Phyllis Rogers Stone said: "Originally this was just about anti-semitic violence at Fiddler, tho."

True! But I guess it had to keep moving around a bit more until it found any traction...

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#101security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:40pm

Phyllis Rogers Stone said: "Originally this was just about anti-semitic violence at Fiddler, tho.

"

True.  But as valid as I thought it was.. no one was willing to have that discussion.  

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#102security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:59pm

I do not see the problem with making the small sacrifice of a few minutes to go through a metal detector and having your bag checked to feel safe. Most concerts and ballgames already provide this. 

When They Go Low, I Go High

VintageSnarker
#103security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 3:36pm

Personally, I don't think it's about specific shows being targeted or paranoia. But I don't think more security is a bad thing. Knowing what I could get away with seeing cursory bag checks is worrisome. The one time I remember a real bag check is when I went to a random concert and the overzealous girl at the door dug her hand through my purse. I mean, that was extreme but at least she was being thorough. Otherwise don't pretend to check bags at all. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#104security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 3:54pm

Petralicious said: "I do not see the problem with making the small sacrifice of a few minutes to go through a metal detector and having your bag checked to feel safe. Most concerts and ballgames already provide this."

Feel is the operative word there.

The reason everyone mentions huge sporting venues for this is telling, though. More people see a show at MSG than are in every Broadway theater on a given night. So, you aren't adding a security team, you are adding additional staff at every Broadway theater, and not just one metal detector if you want everyone to get in quickly, but many. So, there is a cost that will not be absorbed by the theater, but passed on to the ticket prices everyone already bitches about, and likely added to every ticket, right down to rush. To protect against a heretofore largely invented threat.

Petralicious
#105security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 4:10pm

haterobics said:

Feel is the operative word there.

The reason everyone mentions huge sporting venues for this is telling, though. More people see a show at MSG than are in every Broadway theater on a given night. So, you aren't adding a security team, you are adding additional staff at every Broadway theater, and not just one metal detector if you want everyone to get in quickly, but many. So, there is a cost that will not be absorbed by the theater, but passed on to the ticket prices everyone already bitches about, and likely added to every ticket, right down to rush. To protect against a heretofore largely invented threat.

" I understand what you say Haterobics but with the additional staff at stadiums there are lots more people going to the event, so maybe that evens out. If they opened the doors a half of an hour earlier, that should provide enough time to get people through. People will bitch, that is true, but then all you have to do is read up and down this blog to see people are already bitching about everything already and attendance is at the high. All it takes is one idiot to bring in one bomb.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#106security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 4:19pm

I went to see Bill Burr at MSG on Saturday night. Bill Maher was also performing in the theater there at the same time. And I'd guess they had 16 metal detectors total, each with 2-3 staff, and that is for 23,000+ people (18,000 in the garden, 5,500 in the theater). So, doing this for Broadway would take twice the staff (16 stations at MSG versus what? 34 Broadway theaters, is it?), and eight times a week. So, that is adding a lot of theater staff to the cost of running things. Plus, MSG can scale their system up or down based on attendance, as well as if there is a show in both the arena and the theater, as well, whereas Broadway couldn't.

Petralicious
#107security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 4:39pm

Does not seem to be any easy answers.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#108security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 4:55pm

instead of the theatres paying for the increase security maybe the city of New York should provide it.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#109security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 5:05pm

"To protect against a heretofore largely invented threat."

It is not a invented threat. It has happened before.  It just happened Friday in Paris.  Broadway is a international tourist attraction.  It attracts all kinds.  I agree with Jorge.  The city of New York should invest in protecting one of its major attractions. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#110security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 6:06pm

Lots of things that have happened in the past could happen again. That doesn't mean they are likely to...

A planned attack at several locations across Paris, one of which happened to be an Eagles of Death Metal concert, doesn't prove there is more risk in Broadway theaters in general, unless you are already working backwards from a conclusion that it is already an issue. Which you are free to do, of course, I just don't join you in that conclusion.

Petralicious
#111security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 6:55pm

Call_me_jorge said: "instead of the theatres paying for the increase security maybe the city of New York should provide it.

" i cannot imagine the Mayor going for that. All the cop haters and agitators would not make that easy to do either. 

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#112security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 7:33pm

dramamama611 said: "Glittergrrl said: "dramamama611 said: "Some theatres do check...but not every patron.  I usually carry a back back with me and I'd say some one peeks about a third of the time.

I know it's off topic, but now I need to know what you saw.  

"

I must look nonthreatening.  I need to work on being more badass.  Maybe I need to cultivate my resting bitch face.

"

By the way.....BOTH theaters I went o on Saturday looked inside my bag.

"

I know it's off topic, but now I need to know what you saw.  

Updated On: 11/16/15 at 07:33 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#113security for audiences?
Posted: 11/16/15 at 7:39pm

The recently renamed playstation theater ( best buy and Nokia before it) which is a concert venue right on 44th Street gives pretty through patdowns. Most concert venues of this size and smaller in the city do patdowns though. 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#114security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 10:06am

There are officers and anti terrorist squad teams all over the city.  

Broadway kid 2
#115security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 10:17am

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#116security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 10:24am

SmokeyLady said: "There are officers and anti terrorist squad teams all over the city."

Well, Fiddler is open now. The city is on lockdown...

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#117security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 10:26am

I will be there tonight.  And I got a e mail from telecharge asking to give myself more time for added security and that I will have to pay $2.00 to check in any bags..

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#118security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 11:50am

smokeylady, what's with the fear mongering in multiple threads? sounds like a personal problem. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#119security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:01pm

To those who think it is invented, denial is not a river in Egypt. When we get hit again the same people will deny it. My favorite is Italy answering terrorism problems with more funding for the arts. Yeah that will do it. They strike and kill people and Italy will show them by staging operas and touting museums.

Poster Emeritus

temms Profile Photo
temms
#120security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:06pm

Italy is proposing spending EQUAL money on security and the arts, not sacrificing one for the other. For every Euro spent on security they'll spend a Euro on the arts. They'll pay for the extra cost by delaying a corporate tax break.

Updated On: 12/1/15 at 12:06 PM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#121security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:07pm

I don't think anyone in this thread ever said terrorist threats or the terrible things that have happened are invented. Some of us just don't want to spend our lives worrying about the "could happens." Yes, I do think about everything, but I'm not going to stop my life. If I give into everything, I will never go out and do anything ever again. And I bet you 90% of the time I would miss out on a good time just because I'm afraid to leave my house.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#122security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:09pm

temms said: "Italy is proposing spending EQUAL money on security and the arts, not sacrificing one for the other. For every Euro spent on security they'll spend a Euro on the arts. They'll pay for the extra cost by delaying a corporate tax break."

To be fair, Roxy can't even get the quote about The Nile right...

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#123security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:11pm

I pass by the Play Station theater a lot and a lot of times I see a guy passing a detector wand over people entering the venue.

Just give the world Love.

broadfan327
#124security for audiences?
Posted: 12/1/15 at 1:34pm

I just came back from Carnegie Hall box office, and I saw metal detectors at the doors.  I have never seen metal detectors there before.  I know it is not exactly comparable to Broadway because of the venue size, but it may be the way of the future.

Videos