pixeltracker

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread- Page 5

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#100WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 11:10am

There's not much in terms of choreography.  The ensemble of younger "clerks" and four less young society women do most of it and it's pretty basic stuff.  One dance hall scene but again, nothing too thrilling.  Choreo is not the star(s) of this show.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#101WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 12:22pm

I attended the second preview last night, and I knew from the moment the lights came up, we were in for a treat. I must echo what others have said, this show is in amazing shape. Patti and Christine are both in amazing voice, and each are giving a masterclass performance. My favorite song of the night had to be 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Christine's Act 2 ballad "Pink". In this scene she is told that the company is insisting on finding her predecessor, as she is no longer the face of a woman who sells beauty products. She's told that they would keep her the name of the company, and her signature color, pink. 

I did find Act 1 a bit slow moving it times, but I think once everyone gets settled in and finds their rhythm it will lock in fairly well. 

As another poster mentioned it was a night of flying props. I too almost though Patti dropping the bracelet was a part of the show. She was so calm and natural, and the music picked right back up as soon as she retrieved it. 

All in all, I CAN'T wait for this show to transfer so everyone can bask in its glory. It really is something special. 

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#102WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 12:23pm

Double post

Updated On: 6/30/16 at 12:23 PM

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#103WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 12:30pm

Good Lord, if this does transfer this season, this will be one of the juiciest Best Actress Tony smackdowns ever.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

bigbelterbaby
#104WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 1:15pm

For anyone who has seen the show - are there other female characters besides Helena and Elizabeth - for instance it says Steffanie Leigh is credited as Dorian Leigh - a model from the 40s and 50s,does she have anything to do? 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

bigbelterbaby
#105WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 1:15pm

For anyone who has seen the show - are there other female characters besides Helena and Elizabeth - for instance it says Steffanie Leigh is credited as Dorian Leigh - a model from the 40s and 50s,does she have anything to do? 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#106WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 3:23pm

I'm not seeing it for a couple weeks but the cast lists quite a few women. Obviously, I don't know how much they have to do in the show but Mary Ernster is featured prominently in the rehearsal shots.

http://www.goodmantheatre.org/warpaint

tgrabon2 Profile Photo
tgrabon2
#107WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 3:53pm

" Can anyone recommend seating for this show? I enjoy sitting close but is the stage very tall/built up? "

kellem7

My preferred seats at the Goodman (and Broadway) are first row center Mezz. My friend got second row center orchestra for War Paint and they were great seats too. The details in the costumes, jewelry, props, etc. are truly impressive from the second row. The set is tall but a wide molding defines and frames the top of the set. I saw the first preview and can't get the show out of my head. The costumes alone are worth the ticket price. Not only are they beautiful but flattering on the actresses. The oversized stage bill (not Playbill) has many pages of info, photos, and sketches from the show with most in color and a real nice companion to the show. I remember the Goodman providing similar info at Brigadoon which I really enjoyed.

timmmmmmmmy

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#108WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 4:37pm

The show really succeeds. I know the project has been a few years in the making, but the entire creative team has sent a very high quality show. It, like any show in it's first days if previews, has some flaws, but if this suddenly transferred to Broadway next week, they'd honestly be in good shape. Doug Wright has done a very solid job on the book; I'm glad to see him back.

The biggest problem I had with show has already been mentioned

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The show doesn't have much choreography, especially considering it's done by a big name choreographer. Right now, it's purposeful movement set to music. It plays a major second fiddle to the music and acting. I'd like to see it brought up a little when it transfers.

I loved Patti. She just wins in this role. As soon as she entered, I got a huge smile on my face that didn't leave the entire night. The other cast is entirely supporting Ebersole and her...as it should be with this story.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#109WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 6:30pm

I'm going tomorrow but decided to go tonight too. The box office girl said that mezz seats are half price the day of the show. That's a steal. I believe it's in person only. A woman got seats for $32 and $22.50. It's a very small house. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#110WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 9:34pm

Such a deal! Worth the plane fare from NY. What did you think of the show?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#111WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 9:56pm

At intermission. It's glorious. I found it a little slow to start, but the stakes were raised nicely. I find the score quite close to Grey Gardens-jazzy and swinging numbers mixed with moving ballads. I like this score more than Far From Heaven. 

Ebersole and LuPone are cast perfectly. There's no way they'd recast either lady. I have some trouble understanding lyrics at times due to LuPones accent, but she's inspired. Ebersole balances the light and the dark of Arden beautifully. 

I'm glad to return tomorrow and see it from front row. The costumes are stunning and I want to see up close. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

binau Profile Photo
binau
#112WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 10:37pm

I've just bought a flight to NYC next spring - this season seems irresistible. I hope that you're right re: transfer, Liza. 

"Pink" sounds like an amazing song.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#113WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 11:42pm

I just got back from the show. It's a stunner. It's completely a star vehicle for Patti and Christine-as it should be. It's it great shape. Each woman gets her moments and songs and Patti has some Evita-esque moments that are thrilling. 

To me, the standout songs were "If I'd Been A Man" (Patti and Christine duet), Pink (Christine) and "Forever Young" (Patti). 

Again, this score feels very reminiscent of Grey Gardens and Pink feels very much like "Around The World" in its primal emotion. 

The show is ready for Broadway and with Hamilton out of the way it could be a very good year for the sublime War Paint. 

Updated On: 7/1/16 at 11:42 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#114WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 11:51pm

This is soooo exciting. Best Actress is already going to be the category to watch with LuPone, Ebersole, and Midler. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#115WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/30/16 at 11:51pm

This is soooo exciting. Best Actress is already going to be the category to watch with LuPone, Ebersole, and Midler. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#116WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 12:31am

ljay889 said: "This is soooo exciting. Best Actress is already going to be the category to watch with LuPone, Ebersole, and Midler. "

Don't forget Phillipa Soo for Amelie, and hopefully Sutton if Sweet Charity transfers. There's a chance that Kristin Chenoweth will stir the pot with Best Little Whorehouse...looking at Bway bow. I doubt Kelli's My Fair Lady will show up, since she's rumored to originate The King & I in London.

From ex Elphabas, there's a possibility of best supporting actress noms for Lindsey Mendez (if she sticks with In Transit instead of Significant Other - which would likely get her the nod too in the Play category); and Stephanie J Block for Falsettos.

So much new stuff! I'm almost getting over Shuffle Along closing. Not quite, but almost.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#117WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 10:06am

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I thought Donna Murphy was set to do this and replace Ebersole after Chicago? 

Updated On: 7/1/16 at 10:06 AM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#118WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 10:32am

buhbuhbilly said: "Sorry if this has been addressed, but I thought Donna Murphy was set to do this and replace Ebersole after Chicago? "

She was involved in workshops, but since there hasn't been any official word (from producers) about the life of the show after Chicago, that particular detail has never been mentioned.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#119WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 10:51am

Given these early reviews of the two leading ladies' performances, it would seem foolish to recast either of them before Broadway (assuming it transfers, as has been rumored). 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#120WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 11:30am

Liza has confirmed it and Liza's word is law.

Each day of previews has made me more and more excited for this show. I was 16 when she was in Gypsy and live in Michigan so I couldn't see Patti, this will be my first time and I'm so excited. only 5 weeks from today!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#121WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 11:35am

Replacing Ebersole with Murphy seems at the very most a sideways casting change. As far as marquee power goes, Ebersole and Murphy are pretty much equal.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#122WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 11:47am

Kad said: "Replacing Ebersole with Murphy seems at the very most a sideways casting change. As far as marquee power goes, Ebersole and Murphy are pretty much equal."

Speaking of marquee power, am I wrong to be surprised that LuPone is billed before Ebersole? I would've assumed alphabetical billing in this instance. (They're still billed on the same line, of course.)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#123WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 11:50am

Not to mention, if the songs have been tailored to Ebersole, Murphy isn't a good fit. Their vocals are nothing alike- Murphy is closer to LuPone than Ebersole. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#124WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 7/1/16 at 11:51am

Oh, I'm not at all surprised LuPone is first. As great as Ebersole is, LuPone is a bonafide Broadway icon at this point.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos