pixeltracker

2017 TONY Awards Performances- Page 5

2017 TONY Awards Performances

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#1002017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 10:56am

I'm sorry to jump in late, but why do we think War Paint won't be performing? "Face To Face" or "If I Were A Man" would be such great songs for them to showcase.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#1012017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 10:59am

thattreegurl said: "Andrew Rannells said in the awards chatter podcast last week that Falsettos is performing on the broadcast."

YES!!! So excited. That cast deserves to perform.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#1022017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:29pm

I'm with you on War Paint. If I were a betting man (wait, what am I saying? I am!), I would put money that it will petition for a performance slot and get it. I'm sure the producers would love to get a LuPone/Ebersole duet on the telecast, and the show can use the exposure for the summer tourist season to lure all those folks that can't get in at Dolly or Evan. I didn't really care for the show overall, but hearing Patti and Christine sing together was a privilege. I hope they do "Face to Face".

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before
Updated On: 5/19/17 at 12:29 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1032017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 11:40pm

Yeah, I would be shocked if War Paint doesn't perform, "Face to Face" is the most obvious choice. 

Dollypop
#1042017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/20/17 at 10:01am

RE: My comment about "The Waiter's Gallop"

There is lots of sadness about Warren Carlyle not getting a Tony nod for his choreography. Some say it's because people claim he only re-staged Gower's work. "The Waiter's Gallop" is totally reconceived in this production and would prove how brilliant his work is in this production.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

thegamesiplay
#1052017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/21/17 at 1:44pm

I'm hoping for Baseball Game or Falsettoland for the Tony's. Showcases all of the Tony nominees.

Updated On: 5/21/17 at 01:44 PM

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#1062017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/21/17 at 2:17pm

Just out of curiosity — does anyone think it's possible they won't do one of the big Pierre solos for the Great Comet performance? Obviously I know nothing about producing a Broadway show, but if I was a producer I wouldn't want to heavily advertise someone who's leaving in a month...I think it'd be a much better idea to have Denée do part of "No One Else," if they're going the "'Prologue' then showstopper" route. Otherwise I think doing "The Abduction" would be wise, as long as they stage it better than they did on GMA... 

Jarethan
#1072017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/21/17 at 4:11pm

Dollypop said: "RE: My comment about "The Waiter's Gallop"

There is lots of sadness about Warren Carlyle not getting a Tony nod for his choreography. Some say it's because people claim he only re-staged Gower's work. "The Waiter's Gallop" is totally reconceived in this production and would prove how brilliant his work is in this production.

I see Dolly on May 31st...can't wait.  Not having seen The Waiter's Gallop in this incarnation, I still can't imagine they would ever do it.  No-one wants to see a number from HD that doesn't feature Dolly, especially when Dolly is played by as big a star as Midler.  

Also, as good as it is, after seeing HD about ten times, I personally began to view it as filler leading up to the title number, which I have always thought was the best production number in the last 55 years.  I am sure that many will consider this heresy, but it just delayed the big number to me.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#1082017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/21/17 at 4:16pm

It's very possible that they could be doing a snippet of the Waiter's Gallop leading into the title song. 

Jarethan
#1092017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/21/17 at 4:22pm

I would be very surprised if they did the title song.  They never did it during the original production...I always thought that David Merricknviewed it as worth the price of admission...so why give it to them for free!

They have always seemed to do Before the Parade Passes by.  I would prefer the title or Sunday Clothes (which might be hard to replicate) or So Long Dearie or even Dancing to Parade.  Not because it isn't good, but it would nice to see something different in full costume.

BwayMama2
#1102017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/21/17 at 9:17pm

FALSETTOS won't be performing baseball game but will be performing :)

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#1112017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/21/17 at 10:04pm

I hope the Tony's let the numbers breathe this year, instead of putting the performers under such a clock that all the rhythm and timing is off. For instance "Musical" from Something Rotten was ruined that way.

I mean look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7q6l_S8ngc

That's called letting the performers do their thing.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1122017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/22/17 at 12:31pm

Dollypop said: "RE: My comment about "The Waiter's Gallop"

There is lots of sadness about Warren Carlyle not getting a Tony nod for his choreography. Some say it's because people claim he only re-staged Gower's work..
"

He was deemed *ineligible* for that reason.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JudyDenmark
#1132017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/22/17 at 2:57pm

Jarethan said: "They never did it during the original production...I always thought that David Merrick viewed it as worth the price of admission...so why give it to them for free!"

That seems like a flimsy reason to not perform it in 2017. Especially since Bette herself is a "limited run" and the show is so well sold. It's not like performing the title number would make people say, "oh, well now I've seen it and don't need to buy a ticket." I think I said it elsewhere in this thread, but we see shows doing their 11 0'clock bring-down-the-house number on the Tonys all the time.

[Hello Dolly choreo spoilers coming up, fair warning:]

That said, if they don't do the title song, I hope they figure out a way to stage "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" in all of its glory. "Parade" just doesn't do it for me... I don't really know the show, but since it's such a famous number and I knew the whole ensemble would be involved, I was expecting a big dance break when I saw the show. (I guess I was picturing something like "I'm a Brass Band" from Sweet Charity.) I was not expecting them to just stand there, march in a circle, and then stand there again. The vocals were great, but as a showstopper it was a bit of a letdown. I'd be bummed if it was their Tony performance. 

Laurelbluesky
#1142017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/22/17 at 6:24pm

BwayMama2 said: "FALSETTOS won't be performing baseball game but will be performing :)

"

Wait, where'd you hear that? 

JudyDenmark
#1152017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/23/17 at 4:48pm

Can we talk Miss Saigon for a second? I originally assumed the no-brainer would be to do The American Dream, but since Eva Noblezada got a nomination and Jon Jon didn't... I don't know if that makes sense anymore. (Unless they want to get that "make America great again" joke in, which I'm hoping is not a priority.) 

She performed "I'd Give my Life for You" at the Oliviers, and it was fantastic, but I don't know if they'd do the same thing in NYC.

Thoughts? I wouldn't be surprised if they did a medley. 

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#1162017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/23/17 at 7:30pm

JudyDenmark said: "Can we talk Miss Saigon for a second? I originally assumed the no-brainer would be to do The American Dream, but since Eva Noblezada got a nomination and Jon Jon didn't... I don't know if that makes sense anymore. (Unless they want to get that "make America great again" joke in, which I'm hoping is not a priority.) 

She performed "I'd Give my Life for You" at the Oliviers, and it was fantastic, but I don't know if they'd do the same thing in NYC.

Thoughts? I wouldn't be surprised if they did a medley. 

"

I could see them doing a combination of the two (or another song that shows off Eva) because, regardless of him being nominated or not, Jon Jon still gives an absolutely amazing performance and I think it'd be wise of the decision-makers to show him off. 

JudyDenmark
#1172017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/23/17 at 7:56pm

I actually wouldn't mind a little "Movie in My Mind" (Kim's solo part + ensemble) into "American Dream."

billyelliotfan123
#1182017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/23/17 at 8:49pm

Miss Saigon will be doing Last Night of The World

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1192017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/23/17 at 9:11pm

billyelliotfan123 said: "Miss Saigon will be doing Last Night of The World"

No they won't. Jon Jon and Alistair will not be performing. 

JudyDenmark
#1202017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/24/17 at 1:12pm

HeyMrMusic said: "billyelliotfan123 said: "Miss Saigon will be doing Last Night of The World"

No they won't. Jon Jon and Alistair will not be performing.
"

Do you know that as fact, or is it an assumption? If fact... do you know what they're doing? I'd Give My Life for You?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1212017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/24/17 at 1:18pm

Eva and Devin are the only principals involved in the performance, I'm told.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#1222017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/24/17 at 1:19pm

JudyDenmark said: "I actually wouldn't mind a little "Movie in My Mind" (Kim's solo part + ensemble) into "American Dream."

Considering that Rachelle Ann Go will be starring in the London production of HAMILTON, I think "The Movie in My Mind" would be a great choice.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#1232017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/24/17 at 1:28pm

poisonivy2 said: "I hope the Tony's let the numbers breathe this year, instead of putting the performers under such a clock that all the rhythm and timing is off. For instance "Musical" from Something Rotten was ruined that way.

I mean look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7q6l_S8ngc
That's called letting the performers do their thing.
"

That was beautiful to revisit, poisonivy2 - thanks for sharing :)

I genuinely doubt they'd showcase Rachelle Ann Go when they have Eva and Jon Jon who have much showey numbers. I really think they should do American Dream, but HeyMrMusic seems to have contradictory inside info.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#1242017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/24/17 at 1:43pm

According to Brandon Ellis' Facebook status, Bandstand WILL be performing.

Videos