pixeltracker

CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018- Page 5

CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#100CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/18/17 at 6:41pm

Thanks for the list, BC! I didn't realize that 1984 was a limited run. The Hudson might be great for this production! I also didn't put together that Farinelli is running through 3/25 and Carousel is set to open 3/23. 

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#101CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/18/17 at 9:09pm

I would love to see this in The Hudson. That was one of the most civilized and pleasant theatregoing experiences I'd had in a while!

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#102CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/18/17 at 9:35pm

EM55 said: "kade.ivy said: "Now that we've had some time pass, I still find myself incredibly excited for this show! It has such potential, and I know it will be sung beautifully with the announced stars!

I've been thinking about possible theaters for this production, and the pickings seem somewhat slim, assuming it will be a fairly large production. I, too, assumed that it would take the Broadway until King Kong's announcement for next fall. Now, on the Shubert side of things, it looks like the best possibilities are mid-size houses like the Belaso or the Cort. The Shubert would be perfect if Bette doesn't extend and Dolly doesn't find a new star... The Nederlanders are also without a large house to offer, now that the Marquis and Palace have announced new tenants. 

Thoughts? Possibilities I'm missing?

"

Also excited for this. How about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory closes in winter, and they take the Lunt Fontanne, and Borle plays Enoch Snow?

"heard that Carousel is going to a Shubert house...so that leaves the Broadway or possibly the Shubert if Dolly closes after Bette AND the Imperial if Great Comet closes!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#103CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/18/17 at 9:38pm

kade.ivy said: "Thanks for the list, BC! I didn't realize that 1984 was a limited run. The Hudson might be great for this production! I also didn't put together that Farinelli is running through 3/25 and Carousel is set to open 3/23. 

"heard that Dreamgirls may take the Hudson spring '18

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#104CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/18/17 at 9:43pm

The Hudson is exquisite, but it's a rather tiny stage.  Carousel is a pretty large show.  I'm not sure that it would fit so well in such an intimate house.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#105CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:05am

Who is producing this or how did it even come together? Seems rather risky with no big stars, no non-profit. Just kind of came out of nowhere to me. I wonder if it will be a lavish production or a smaller scale. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#106CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:25am

RippedMan said: "Who is producing this or how did it even come together? Seems rather risky with no big stars, no non-profit. Just kind of came out of nowhere to me. I wonder if it will be a lavish production or a smaller scale. "

Isn't Jessie Mueller a "big" star at this point? She definitely has a huge following, with 3 Tony noms and 1 win - that's usually enough to make her a box office bet. Renee Fleming is going to get all the rich folks above 45 in the seats, beyond doubt. Joshua Henry is a rising star; not quite the name he should be, but with a great resume. I'm sure it will do well based on cast alone, lavish or not.

I heard Hudson for Dreamgirls too. I'd love for this to go to Lyceum or Walter Kerr.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#107CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:41am

RippedMan said: "Who is producing this or how did it even come together?"

Scott Rudin

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#108CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:51am

Oh I love Muller and Henry, so I will absolutely be seeing this, but just seems risky. Fleming didn't pack anyone in for that play she was in. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#109CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:53am

RippedMan said: "Oh I love Muller and Henry, so I will absolutely be seeing this, but just seems risky. Fleming didn't pack anyone in for that play she was in. 

"

I think that had more to do with the play than with Fleming. I think her presence in a classic American musical will be quite lucrative. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#110CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 11:09am

I think the Nederlander would work really well. It's a good in-between for the bigger and smaller houses on Broadway. Of course, the question is if they can get a good name for WAR PAINT once Lupone and Ebersole leave, in which WAR PAINT wouldn't be vacant in the fall.

neonlightsxo
#111CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 11:34am

"heard that Dreamgirls may take the Hudson spring '18"

That's only logical. Dreamgirls is produced in London by ATG and Sonia Friedman. Now that ATG owns the Hudson, it only makes sense.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#112CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 2:19pm

Dysquith13 said: "I think the Nederlander would work really well. It's a good in-between for the bigger and smaller houses on Broadway. Of course, the question is if they can get a good name for WAR PAINT once Lupone and Ebersole leave, in which WAR PAINT wouldn't be vacant in the fall.

"

Are LuPone and Ebersole leaving in the fall? I assumed they'd at least have yearlong contracts... If they're leaving, Nederlander would be great! Rudin usually goes with the Shuberts but has used Nederlander...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#113CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/9/17 at 2:51pm

http://www.broadwaybox.com/daily-scoop/12-actresses-wed-love-to-see-as-carrie-in-the-carousel-revival/

This list popped up in my Facebook today, and there's some interesting dreamcast names in it. My vote would unequivocally go to Phillipa Soo (assuming she isn't cast as Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady).

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#114CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/20/17 at 10:59pm

Hoping we get more info soon, btw this tweet made me extremely happy to see. https://twitter.com/betsywolfe/status/897284462647660544

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#115CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:35pm

It would be nice to see a POC as Carrie, but Betsy Wolfe would be an excellent standard choice. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#116CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:39pm

I wish Ashley Park were available to play Carrie, but Betsy Wolfe would be wonderful (especially with Christopher Fitzgerald as Enoch).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#117CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/20/17 at 11:43pm

I too think the Nederlander would be perfect, and could explain why they haven't made an announcement yet! 

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#118CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/27/17 at 4:27pm

I LOVE the score to Carousel and I thought Jessie was perfect for Carrie in that filmed concert version, but does anyone else feel kinda weird about her playing Julie Jordan after having just originated/nominated for a role that had the exact opposite message? I know this conversation is messy, and revivals' messages should mostly be taken with a grain of salt nowadays, but this just doesn't sit well with me. 

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#119CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/27/17 at 4:32pm

I mean, they're two separate roles...? I don't see why Waitress should have any impact on how you take in a performance of Carousel...

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#120CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/27/17 at 5:08pm

seahag2 said: "I LOVE the score to Carousel and I thought Jessie was perfect for Carrie in that filmed concert version, but does anyone else feel kinda weird about her playing Julie Jordan after having just originated/nominated for a role that had the exact opposite message? I know this conversation is messy, and revivals' messages should mostly be taken with a grain of salt nowadays, but this just doesn't sit well with me. 

"

First of all Jenna was born in a different era than Julie, with different attitudes about what was acceptable in a marriage. Second of all, Carousel is a very dark, serious musical and Waitress is essentially a modern-day Cinderella story. Third, Jessie has enormous range and I'm sure the qualities she brought to Jenna (simplicity, humor, being very "real" rather than Broadway pretty) are the same qualities that will make her a successful Julie.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#121CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/27/17 at 5:14pm

Any idea when we will know more casting on this? I'm dying to know. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#122CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/27/17 at 5:16pm

poisonivy2 said: "seahag2 said: "I LOVE the score to Carousel and I thought Jessie was perfect for Carrie in that filmed concert version, but does anyone else feel kinda weird about her playing Julie Jordan after having just originated/nominated for a role that had the exact opposite message? I know this conversation is messy, and revivals' messages should mostly be taken with a grain of salt nowadays, but this just doesn't sit well with me. 

"

First of all Jenna was born in a different era than Julie, with different attitudes about what was acceptable in a marriage. Second of all, Carousel is a very dark, serious musical and Waitress is essentially a modern-day Cinderella story. Third, Jessie has enormous range and I'm sure the qualities she brought to Jenna (simplicity, humor, being very "real" rather than Broadway pretty) are the same qualities that will make her a successful Julie.

"

All of this.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

JIMG3
#123CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/27/17 at 5:27pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "We're getting revivals of Carousel and My Fair Lady in the same season. Dying inside from the joy.  I'm personally also looking forward to the inevitable grudge match between MFL and Carousel over which is better.

Let's see: Jack OBrien with Carousel, vs Bart Sher and his stellar team, coming at us with MFL? Not much of a contest there as far as I can see  

"

Updated On: 8/27/17 at 05:27 PM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#124CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 8/27/17 at 8:31pm

Hudson's not available anymore, right? Cos of the Uma Thurman play? Think this could still go to one of the houses currently in use - someone said Imperial in another thread and that seems most likely right now.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Videos