GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#100GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:39pm

'Well he seems like a genuinely nice person, and I get upset when people feel the need to say rude things about nice, talented people.  You're not edgy for hating on Dear Evan Hansen.'

Thats what makes you sound 12. And you can say all you want about how DEH is the best show and his performance is the winning performance, but thats your opinion. Stop going on like you know things for sure, it makes you sound likea silly fan boy (and my god the DEH fan boys and girls are already annoying people to the point of putting people off the show)

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

songanddanceman2
#101GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:40pm

'VotePeron, Clearly you have never been an underdog. Dear Evan Hansen is relating to people in a way that many shows cant. It has shown me, and thousands of others that you are not alone.'

Oh give it a rest.

UncleCharlie
#102GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:43pm

icecreambenjamin said: "Ben Platt will be winning.  Andy Karl will land a much deserved nomination, but Ben Platt is giving one of the best performances of the decade and he certainly does much more than cry onstage and sing loudly.  What a stupid thing to say.

There have been many years in which another performer was giving a Tony worthy performance, but there was just someone else that went above and beyond (a la Jessie Mueller and Laura Benanti against Cynthia Erivo or Kristen Chenoweth and Chita Rivera against Kelli O'Hara).  Not everyone can win every year.  It is quite an accomplishment to even be nominated.

We'll let Andy know that "icecreambenjamin" has weighed in so it's basically a done deal. I'm sure he'll be disappointed but will no doubt appreciate you thinking him worthy of a nomination.

willep
#103GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:43pm

ethan231h said: "To everyone saying Andy Karl is a lock to win.....you all clearly dont realize what Ben Platt has been doing in Dear Evan Hansen. I cant rave about his performance enough...its so real and just....wow....

"

Honestly, one of my issues with Dear Evan Hansen was that Ben Platt was not real...I had such a hard time connecting with his character through all the stuff he was doing. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#104GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:46pm

Frankly, you're delusional if you think anyone other than Ben Platt and Bette Midler are winning either of the Tonys for Lead in a Musical.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#105GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:46pm

ethan231h said: "VotePeron, Clearly you have never been an underdog. Dear Evan Hansen is relating to people in a way that many shows cant. It has shown me, and thousands of others that you are not alone."

I deeply appreciate & respect both of your opinions on DEH, however:

Clearly you aren't taking into account all the people, myself included, that have grown up in situations similar to Evan Hansen, that feel extraordinarily alienated by the musical? How I WISH my life had been as easy as "being found" one day. 

And IceCreamBenjamin...It's very hard to correctly respond to you, as you edit your responses every couple of minutes, but do not bring money or reviews into the conversation. Either way, you will hurt yourself. DEH is making much more $$ weekly than GHD: Money/gross is proven to have very little say when it comes to Best Musical, or else Wicked, Beautiful, Newsies, and Matilda would have trophies. And as for reviews, DEH got the better reviews of the two, wouldn't you say? So are you saying reviews matter only when they're against a specific show you don't like? 

Nevertheless, the fandom for Dear Evan Hansen have taken things way too far, and I cannot wait for June 11th to be over.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 11:46 PM

songanddanceman2
#106GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:47pm

Oh god go away and spam another thread.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#107GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:48pm

Time to play "pull quotes!"

- "Karl carries the show with inexhaustible physical and vocal energy" - David Cote, Time Out NY

- "Surrender to human kindness and true romance" - David Cote, Time Out NY

- "a series of deliciously funny, quirky and waggish little ditties that make you laugh out loud" - Chris Jones, Chicago Tribune

- "Gratifying!" - Robert Kahn, NBC New York

- "Marvelously good fun"- Robert Kahn, NBC New York

- "Dizzingly witty new musical" - Ben Brantley, NY Times

-"New York audiences have the rare chance to witness the full emergence of a newborn, bona fide musical star."- Ben Brantley, NY Times

- "an ingenious, witty, dark yet joyously offbeat musical"- Linda Winer, Newsday

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 11:48 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#108GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:54pm

songanddanceman2 said: "Oh god go away and spam another thread.

I'll spam where I want to spam, thank you very much.  Also, I do not consider myself part of the DEH fandom.  I liked the show.  I found it moving, with a good, catchy score, and some really phenomenal performances, but I am not obsessed with it.  I think it deserves recognition for its work, but it is not my favorite musical of the last couple of years if that helps at all.  I don't sing it on the subway or in the theatre and tweet "omg crying over words fail :'(."  Therefore I do not fit the description of a DEH fanboy.

Anyways, I hope the best for Groundhog Day.  It's a great score and Andy Karl is giving a fantastic performance.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 11:54 PM

FrontLtGuy
#109GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 12:21am

wonderfulwizard11 said: ""Well he seems like a genuinely nice person, and I get upset when people feel the need to say rude things about nice, talented people."

Oh good lord- no one is saying he's personally a jerk, but it's an opinion on his performance. Not everyone is required to believe Ben Platt is god's gift to musical theatre. 

"

AGREED! Ben Platt is not a gift to musical theater to anyone over the age of 17, I've seen the show and there are other great young actors who could play the role of Evan with the same quality.. I can't imagine any other person in this moment who could play Phil Connors like AK

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#110GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 12:40am

So happy for Andy and such a lovely man!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#111GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 1:32am

It's interesting - in recent years the thought has been that theatre critics opinions didn't matter as much now as they once did.  GD has been getting slammed on the chat boards since it started previews - from set problems to people genuinely not liking the show/score (people calling it b-rated Matilda music) - and now in an evening it seems like it's going to sweep the Tonys.  

OK - slight exaggeration but only slight...

Anyway... I had really had high hopes for this, since Groundhog day remains one of my all time favorite movies and was a bit put off by the somewhat negative reviews I was reading here.  Will have to go in and check it out myself.

And I completely agree with those who think that they definitely got a lock for a Best Musical Tony.  There's no way with reviews like these AND them having won an Olivier award that they'd pass on this.

Jarethan
#112GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 1:49am

Auggie27 said: "The Times review is the money notice they surely hoped for. It's hard to imagine Brantley more effusive. Sighs of relief are rising above their opening night party, surely. Now, can Karl do 8 shows a week? That remains the issue, at least initially.  As much as people want to see Platt's Evan, they will demand Karl in this role.  

Don't you remember his rave for Honeymoon in Vegas.  That definitely turned it into a hit!!!  

Jarethan
#113GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 1:55am

VotePeron said: "Judging how I am in the minority and think Dear Evan Hansen is vastly overrated, I do believe Andy Karl is genuinely giving the better performance. Comedy is extremely difficult to execute, and Karl is doing it masterfully. He has a career load of credits and respect, and I do believe this is his time. Platt is only 22, and will have many more chances to win Tonys, or even garner nominations. Crying onstage and singing very loudly doesn't guarantee a Tony Award. 

If Kelli O'Hara can win for The King and I, Andy Karl can win for Groundhog Day. It is a very similar situation, and I am in shock as to how so few people see it that way. 

Your last paragraph is ludicrous.  Go back and remind yourself about his portfolio.  Not much to speak of.  I am not judging his performance, just your hyperbole.  I have not seen either yet, but have tickets for both when next in NYC, first week in June.

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#114GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 2:30am

If we are comparing the Kelli vs Kristin thing to Andy Karl vs Ben Platt, that means Platt would win.

Drama vs Comedy

froote
#115GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 3:12am

DEH fans are exhausting my goodness.

If you're SO SURE that DEH is winning best musical and Platt is winning Best Actor then why do you need to argue with others who say they might not be? If you're sure, you're sure!

For what it's worth, I don't like either show. Probably prefer DEH. Think both performances are worthy, but what Karl is doing is more impressive to me and the more difficult job. When Brantley writes you a love letter and all other reviews are positive for you, it means you're in contention for the Tony and it's rididculous to think otherwise.

Ben Platt is not giving one of the best performances ever on Broadway. You really all need to calm down about this show.

Updated On: 4/18/17 at 03:12 AM

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#116GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 3:20am

A STAR IS BORN... I mean, I thought so at ROCKY but never before has a headline been so true than or deserving for a talent like ANDY KARL! Granted, they can't print my pull quotes on the marquee (probably for the best - my grammar alone LOL) but I am so happy for my man!! He is giving one of the most difficult performances on Broadway - and now has the raves (and, ugh, the injuries) to prove it... So excited for him... I hope he wins the TONY because he deserves it!!!!

YAS ANDY!!!! What a STAR!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

brdway411
#117GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 4:00am

So since it is on TDF for the rest of the week, is it worth seeing WITHOUT ANDY?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#118GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 4:07am

VotePeron said: "Judging how I am in the minority and think Dear Evan Hansen is vastly overrated, I do believe Andy Karl is genuinely giving the better performance. Comedy is extremely difficult to execute, and Karl is doing it masterfully. "

Wait, DEH isn't a comedy?!? That does explain why the people around me seemed annoyed by my laughing...

brdway411
#119GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 5:29am

GHD on TDF for today. Is it ANDY or the show that makes it.  Is this another Matilda VS Kinky. DEH VS GHD?

Seeing DEH on Wednesday.... Debating about getting TDF tix for GHD tomorrow

Q3
#120GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 6:23am

Is Anastasia really bad or something. I am just really shocked that people are putting Groundhog Day ahead of that. I do not think Bandstand will win best musical but Anastasia not getting nominated seriously?

I love Groundhog Day and Tim Minchin but seriously? 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#121GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 7:06am

Show Score's tally currently gives the show a 79 / 100. From what I've read so far:

Andy Carl gets solid raves. The ones who love the show focus on his work.

Many are indifferent to Minchin's score. Playing Nancy is the only song I see mentioned by name. I recall London critics praising it. Many New York critics say it should be cut.

The ones who hate the show cite hyperactive staging and cardboard supporting characters.

My dim memories of the film are of Murray's delightfully bad behavior. I can't recall Andy Madowell's character and wasn't particularly rooting for she and Murray to get together. It sounds like the love story is an afterthought in the musical as well.

https://www.show-score.com/broadway-shows/groundhog-day

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 4/18/17 at 07:06 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#122GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 7:48am

It seems that the only thing to do now is wait a few weeks and see if the pretty good reviews have any effect on box office (which hasn't been great).

And Karl will need to stay in the show for the next week if he wants a Tony, because I imagine that's when the nominating committee will be coming to see the show (to meet the April 27 deadline).

binau Profile Photo
binau
#123GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 7:51am

I know this sounds cynical and I haven't seen the show (nor so I expect Andy to be in when I do, though I hope I'm surprised) but I wonder if this injury is the best thing that could have happened to Andy and the show. It is clear from the NYtimes article dedicated to him performing with an injury that there is a lot of respect/kudos being sent his way for the mere fact that he is being a trooper here - I can't help but feel this might influence attitudes towards his performance. 

It is a little hard to understand how anyone could win over Ben Platt, who to me is giving one of those rare performances where actor and show perfectly come together (see Alice Ripley in n2n; Ebersole in Grey Gardens; Bernadette in Sunday, Patti in Gypsy). He is  a disciple from the Alice Ripley school of affection - but in my mind possibly even more convincing and 'raw' than even her performance, which I did not expect at all going in. That said, I understand it is a very easy choice to give it to the more dramatic and emotional performance and overlook the skill involved in comedy.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#124GROUNDHOG DAY Reviews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 8:00am

Q3 said: "Is Anastasia really bad or something. I am just really shocked that people are putting Groundhog Day ahead of that. I do not think Bandstand will win best musical but Anastasia not getting nominated seriously?

I love Groundhog Day and Tim Minchin but seriously?
"

I will be shocked if Anastasia is nominated. Groundhog Day is far superior to Anastasia in every way.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos