pixeltracker

Andy Karl performance schedule- Page 5

Andy Karl performance schedule

Wayman_Wong
#100Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:49pm

10086Sundays: I hope any rumor about ''Roman Holiday'' going into the August Wilson is wrong. I love ''Groundhog Day,'' and it's a far better show that it's been given credit for. In another season, it would've racked up a bunch of Tony wins, including Andy Karl's overdue victory. But in addition to that, I've SEEN ''Roman Holiday'' in S.F. and it was panned by the major Bay Area papers and Variety. During its 4-week run, it made nominal changes; if that's the show they're taking to NYC, they're gonna get creamed by the critics.

Hindsight's always 20-20, but if ''Groundhog Day'' came in next season, which might not be as crowded as this one was, Karl also might've won his Tony. They might've underestimated just how formidable ''Dear Evan Hansen'' would prove to be at awards time.

By the way, whoever picked that number to represent ''Groundhog Day'' on the Tony telecast really blew a golden opportunity. For such a funny, funny show, you choose a slow ballad? Arrggghhhh! Look at ''Bandstand,'' which KNEW how to pick a number that captured the show's energy and dancing; they're getting a box-office bump.

Updated On: 6/23/17 at 01:49 PM

10086Sundays
#101Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 4:33pm

It is a shame that GHD came in this year.  I'm not familiar with the upcoming new shows, but it doesn't seem like there's a Ben Platt level performance which would end the race before it's begun.  You never though know.  I feel for Andy, as I really do like his performance more than Ben's. Hopefully he'll get another shot and the 4th time will be the charm.

I think GHD should have asked to submit a recorded performance.  I know they want to perform live, but I think the only effective way to showcase the true humor, heart, and beauty of it would be to cut together in some fashion portions of Days 1, 2, 3 with Seeing You at the end.  As discussed, there just isn't one number that works as a standalone piece.  Bandstand and Great Comet had it easy, given their choice of crowd pleasers to choose from.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#102Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 6:41pm

Is he officially not going on vacay?

Also someone on Twitter was complaining about an understudy being disrespectful to the lead... were they talking about ANDREW CALL? And if so why?

I only noticed bc ORFEH RT a different tweet the tweeted...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Wayman_Wong
#103Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 8:34pm

10086Sundays: I'm with you: As crazy as it is comparing apples to oranges, I thought Karl deserved the Tony more for the many challenges his character faced, physically and emotionally, and that's BEFORE we get to Karl's leg injury. With Bill Murray's shadow looming, he created a Phil who was wholly his own, and never owed anything to Murray, or came off like a pale imitation.

Karl's 43, and this was his 3rd Tony nomination (in a career of 11 Broadway credits). Platt's 23, and wins on his 1st Tony nomination (in a career of 2 Broadway credits). Who says life, or showbiz, is fair? With any luck, Karl's Tony odds will pay off better next time. 

Updated On: 6/23/17 at 08:34 PM

massofmen
#104Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 8:37pm

is there only one u/s for Andy? I thought i read in the playbill that there are 2? is the other u/s not allowed to go on? anyone know?

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#105Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 8:40pm

Sean Montgomery, who covered all the male leads in Matilda, is the second cover for Phil Conners. According to social media, he had his first put in today. I'd assume he'll perform the role sooner than later, especially if Karl is out for extended performances at a time.

10086Sundays
#106Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 9:21pm

Sean Montgomery was slated to do half of Andy's vacation, had it happened.  Who knows, it still may.

I would like to get to see both Andrew and Sean.  I feel like they'd offer very different takes on the role.

Wayman: I agree with everything you said re: Andy.  Hopefully he won't have to wait until he's 71 like Bette.  (For a competitive award.)

Updated On: 6/23/17 at 09:21 PM

Wayman_Wong
#107Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 10:58pm

Actually, I don't consider Bette's situation to be comparable. Even though she's won her 1st Tony at age 71, she's winning on her 1st nomination. What's more, it's not as if Bette's been doing shows since the '60s and losing time after time and was finally rewarded.

But one woman who knows how that feels is costume designer Jane Greenwood, who finally won after her 21st Tony nomination (''Little Foxes'' ). It's a rare recipient who wins her 1st competitive Tony AFTER getting a Tony for Lifetime Achievement.

Updated On: 6/23/17 at 10:58 PM

Notreallysilent 2
#108Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 11:03pm

Yeah Sean was supposed to go on Monday-Wednesday matinee next week if his vacation was still happening. I've seen Andrew twice, and he's really amazing. If he is ever on I would not miss him he is definitely worth seeing the show! 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#109Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/23/17 at 11:04pm

If we gave out Tonys for longevity than both Jan Maxwell and Danny Burstein would have won by now. 

10086Sundays
#110Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 12:01am

Wayman_Wong said: "Actually, I don't consider Bette's situation to be comparable. Even though she's won her 1st Tony at age 71, she's winning on her 1st nomination. What's more, it's not as if Bette's been doing shows since the '60s and losing time after time and was finally rewarded.

But one woman who knows how that feels is costume designer Jane Greenwood, who finally won after her 21st Tony nomination (''Little Foxes'' ). It's a rare recipient who wins her 1st competitive Tony AFTER getting a Tony for Lifetime Achievement.
"

Very good point.  

Plus, it's not like his nominations have just been to fill out the ballot in weak years.  Rocky & GHD, especially, were hard earned.

Oh well, it's in the past now.  I'd settle for GHD surviving a year as consolation.

greenifyme2
#111Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 12:07am

This might be a tough ask, but I really want the show to survive a year+ so that I can go ON Feb 2nd!

Wayman_Wong
#112Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 1:15am

Now that Greenwood's won, who has the next longest losing streak?

Graciele Daniele has 10 Tony noms, no wins. Scott Ellis, 8, no wins.

Updated On: 6/24/17 at 01:15 AM

Skimbleshanks2
#113Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 4:31am

Does this mean ANDY will be out for an extended period soon? This is all so odd...

I wonder what the deal is... maybe he knows the show is done and is like, "Screw it"... LOL

Skimbleshanks2
#114Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 4:31am

Does this mean ANDY will be out for an extended period soon? This is all so odd...

I wonder what the deal is... maybe he knows the show is done and is like, "Screw it"... LOL

VintageSnarker
#115Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 6:57am

Wayman_Wong said: " 10086Sundays: I'm with you: As crazy as it is comparing apples to oranges, I thought Karl deserved the Tony more for the many challenges his character faced, physically and emotionally, and that's BEFORE we get to Karl's leg injury. With Bill Murray's shadow looming, he created a Phil who was wholly his own, and never owed anything to Murray, or came off like a pale imitation.

Karl's 43, and this was his 3rd Tony nomination (in a career of 11 Broadway credits). Platt's 23, and wins on his 1st Tony nomination (in a career of 2 Broadway credits). Who says life, or showbiz, is fair? With any luck, Karl's Tony odds will pay off better next time. 

I'm getting this off wikipedia so forgive me if the details are wrong but Rebecca Luker has 3 nominations and Danny Burstein has 6 with no wins. Chita Rivera didn't win until her fourth nomination. (Since I'm already off on a digression... how was she not nominated for West Side Story? And how are Rosabella in Most Happy Fella, Marian in The Music Man, and Maria in West Side Story considered featured roles?)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#116Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 8:48am

I saw Andrew Call go on last night. I have previously seen the show twice before with Andy Karl. While Andrew Call was great, I still really missed Andy Karl, and seeing the show without him in it made it even more evident just how much Karl brings to the show. Andy Karl has this insane sense of charm and charisma that he brings to the role and the show that I think only he can pull off.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#117Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 9:23am

Wayman_Wong said: "10086Sundays: I hope any rumor about ''Roman Holiday'' going into the August Wilson is wrong. I love ''Groundhog Day,'' and it's a far better show that it's been given credit for. In another season, it would've racked up a bunch of Tony wins, including Andy Karl's overdue victory. But in addition to that, I've SEEN ''Roman Holiday'' in S.F. and it was panned by the major Bay Area papers and Variety. During its 4-week run, it made nominal changes; if that's the show they're taking to NYC, they're gonna get creamed by the critics."

August Wilson is far too big of a theatre for Roman Holiday.  Having seen it, it will have a hard time filling that theatre even at discounted prices. Andy Karl is great in this show. I sure hope the show lasts long. This year was just Ben Platt's year. In another year, without such a strong performance from Platt, Karl's body of work would be considered and would land him a Tony win. 

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#118Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 9:53am

bwayphreak234 said: "I saw Andrew Call go on last night. I have previously seen the show twice before with Andy Karl. While Andrew Call was great, I still really missed Andy Karl, and seeing the show without him in it made it even more evident just how much Karl brings to the show. Andy Karl has this insane sense of charm and charisma that he brings to the role and the show that I think only he can pull off.

"

We saw Andrew Carl back in April during the initial time after Andy's injury.  While Andrew was great and I really have no negative comments, it wasn't like I was walking out like "wow...he was incredible and really play Phil Conners". Unfortunately were were in NY for a visit so won't get a chance to see Andy, but even from what I've seen on YouTube or on the Tony's, I can tell he is something special and with him, I imagine you walk away with the wow factor.

Skimbleshanks2
#119Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 12:07pm

I love ANDY but he's had multiple flops under his belt and I worry that he'll struggle to find another leading role of this caliber... I wonder if he'll want to take a break from Broadway?? After all this drama and the Tony loss I wouldn't be surprised ...

also is ORFEH his social media manager? His social accounts are basically just reposts of all of her stuff... 

Updated On: 6/24/17 at 12:07 PM

UncleCharlie
#120Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 1:46pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "I love ANDY but he's had multiple flops under his belt and I worry that he'll struggle to find another leading role of this caliber... I wonder if he'll want to take a break from Broadway?? After all this drama and the Tony loss I wouldn't be surprised ...

The only "drama" is what you insist on creating. I'm sure he'll be just fine.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#121Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 2:46pm

With the recent talk (here and in the Grosses threads) about GHD not doing well and possibly closing sooner rather than later, I've been thinking about the departure of Scott Rudin from Groundhog last June. Far be it from me to impugn Mr. Rudin, but my impression is that the changes he would have made to Groundhog would have had the effect of making it more commercial. On the other hand, he has his hand in so many shows now, it's not as if he can dedicate a lot of time to each,  

So wondering if anyone has any insight on the actual disagreement, and whether Groundhog would have done better had those changes been made...?

Actually, moving this to its own thread...

Updated On: 6/24/17 at 02:46 PM

10086Sundays
#122Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 4:24pm

Wayman said: With Bill Murray's shadow looming, he created a Phil who was wholly his own, and never owed anything to Murray, or came off like a pale imitation.

bwayphreak234 said: Andy Karl has this insane sense of charm and charisma that he brings to the role and the show that I think only he can pull off.???????

I completely agree.  I've seen the show multiple times and never once have I ever thought about Bill Murray's performance during the show or felt he did something "better" afterwards.  I do love the movie and his take on Phil. 

Rita on the other hand...  Much prefer the musical version of her.  And Ned, especially Ned.  I've said it before, but putting Phil and Ned on parallel journeys is one of my favorite parts of the musical.

If they were to get to the point of needing a replacement Phil, I'm not sure who could do the role close to what Andy's doing.  Maybe someone like Neil Patrick Harris.  However, as talented as he is, Neil's someone who I always feel like I'm watching the actor, not the character, if that makes sense.  I can still be moved by his performances, but there is always that sliver of disconnect for me.

greenifyme2 - Just for kicks it would be fun to see the show on 2/2.  I saw it when members of the actual Punxsutawney Groundhog Club were there and it was one of the best audiences I've been a part of.

Sunny11
#123Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 5:18pm

Wayman_Wong said: " 

Well Karl was an " overnight sensation" in London. He won an Olivier award for his  West End debut. 

massofmen
#124Andy Karl performance schedule
Posted: 6/24/17 at 5:23pm

i think many actors in nyc could do what mr karl is doing or do it differently and do it wonderfully.
Steven Pasquale would be outstanding at it 
Leslie Odom would be interesting
Josh Henry would be great
Christian Borle would do well

Brian Darcy James would be fantastic ( i actually would love to see this i think he would have been perfoect for this role now that I think about it)
Santino fontana would be fine
Jon Jon Briones 
James Snyder

Raul Esparza

rob mcclure would be interesting

will swenson might be great

Videos