ANASTASIA Reviews

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#100ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:14pm

Butter Broadway said: "Well we still have to wait for Bandstand reviews as well. Denee Benton shouldn't get in either. It should be Annaeligh, Laura, Bette, Patti, and Christine. 

"

Won't be Annaleigh.

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#101ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:19pm

Neon must be so sad after these reviews. He loves Anastasia. 

BroadwayMan5
#102ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:33pm

ForB4 said: "And why do people keep making references to Trump?

"

Probably because of the Russian setting for this show :)

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#103ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:35pm

WOW. That is what I was expecting last night for CHARLIE.

Methinks it's become a hell of of a lot easier for WAR PAINT or GROUNDHOG DAY to nab that 4th Best Musical slot.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#104ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:39pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Methinks it's become a hell of of a lot easier for WAR PAINT or GROUNDHOG DAY to nab that 4th Best Musical slot."

I don't understand the continued delusion here.  The 4 nominees WILL be Come From Away, Dear Evan Hansen, The Great Comet, and Groundhog Day.  If there is a 5th, it COULD be War Paint or Anastasia, but the core 4 are as good as locked.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#105ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:44pm

Willie4316 said: "I think the locks as of now are Bette,Christy, Patti, Christine, and Phillipa. Maybe Laura to swap out Phillipa

"

So you've locked up the entire category? What's the point then? 

Annaleigh is not eligible, Butternut. 

Laura is NOT getting standing ovations every night. I've seen the show twice and she didn't get one either time. (And I say this as a huge fan of hers.) 

I think Altomare and Osnes, despite their critiques, are giving better performances than Benton. 

I do think, however, this confirms the Best Musical category locks. 

IdinaBellFoster
#106ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:45pm

bjh2114 said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "Methinks it's become a hell of of a lot easier for WAR PAINT or GROUNDHOG DAY to nab that 4th Best Musical slot."

I don't understand the continued delusion here.  The 4 nominees WILL be Come From Away, Dear Evan Hansen, The Great Comet, and Groundhog Day.  If there is a 5th, it COULD be War Paint or Anastasia, but the core 4 are as good as locked.
"

I don't disagree with you, and I'd probably give GROUNDHOG DAY the edge, but WAR PAINT's reviews were not far off. Aside from Brantley raving for GROUNDHOG DAY, opinions on both shows was mixed.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#107ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:49pm

^Oh were they?

War Paint: http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/war-paint-broadway-review.html

Groundhog Day: http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/groundhog-day-review.html

War Paint got great reviews for Patti and Christine, but that was it. The show otherwise got meh reviews.  Groundhog Day received mostly positive reviews, and they weren't JUST about Andy.  They were for the show itself.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#108ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:04am

Groundhog Day's producers better hope they get that Tony nomination. They seem to need it more, as War Paint is performing stronger in the box office. 

Updated On: 4/25/17 at 12:04 AM

IdinaBellFoster
#109ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:08am

I perfer Show Score. GROUNDHOG DAY has a 71 critic's score, while WAR PAINT has a 68.

But again, I don't disagree with you. What carried the WAR PAINT reviews were the two lead performances. Just trying to say I don't think any show has that fourth slot truly locked.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#110ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:10am

People. War Paint will never, ever, get nominated for Best Musical. Keep dreaming.

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#111ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:14am

Reception reminds me a bit of BRIGHT STAR from last year. Not great all around, but it did have a good bit of passion.

I think this is definitely bumped behind Groundhog Day for the last nomination slot. DEH, Great Comet, and Come From Away are all pretty much locked.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#112ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:22am

Someone remind me... when did weekly box office grosses start locking our Best Musical nominees and winners? 

Gentleman's Guide, Fun Home and Once are recent examples that defy that idea. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#113ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:25am

IdinaBellFoster said: "I perfer Show Score. GROUNDHOG DAY has a 71 critic's score, while WAR PAINT has a 68."

That's nice that YOU prefer Show Score, but ultimately those numbers are wildly subjective.  For instance, A Bronx Tale received a critic's score of 64, but I'd argue that it actually received better reviews overall than War Paint did.  Did it have as much praise for its actors?  Certainly not.  But you simply cannot use a subjective number system to predict which show will be nominated for Best Musical.  You need to actually look at the content of the reviews.  Groundhog Day was praised for its book and score by many critics.  Most critics found the book, score, and direction of War Paint to be underwhelming.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#114ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:33am

Sorry to jump topics, but a couple of the reviews called Anya a "teen heroine" or 18 years old like the movie. Didn't they change her age to be more in line with reality- a teen at the time of the revolution and mid/late 20s for the bulk of the show?

Willie4316
#115ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:40am

GreasedLightning said: "Willie4316 said: "I think the locks as of now are Bette,Christy, Patti, Christine, and Phillipa. Maybe Laura to swap out Phillipa"

So you've locked up the entire category? What's the point then? "

My bad, meant to write nominees. Using phone to post and I was talking to someone else about locks for other categories

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#116ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:48am

Denee Benton will be getting a nomination for Best Actress, hands down. I'm still sticking to my gut that one, or both, War Paint ladies will be snubbed. Neither of them are giving Tony Award worthy performances, and shouldn't be nominated by name alone. It happened last year with Audra, it can happen again.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#117ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:53am

The difference is that both War Paint ladies are basically the whole show. Audra was excellent in Shuffle Along, but her character wasn't the focus. Of course anything can happen, but Patti and Christine feel like absolute locks to me in a way that Audra never did last year. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Tiann Nerng Chong
#118ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 3:04am

kinda sad that none of the reviews mentioned Liz Callaway...

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#119ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 4:17am

wow VotePeron, you really hated War Paint didn't you.  And if one of them is going to be snubbed, which I don't believe will happen, it's going to be Patti. Christine Ebersole is giving the stronger performance.

Updated On: 4/25/17 at 04:17 AM

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#120ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 7:25am

How the show must feel after that Times review ANASTASIA Reviews

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#121ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 7:29am

As a millennial who saw the show, I'm mad at how many corners the cut because they knew this would be a cash cow. Fans of the movie deserve better. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#122ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 7:39am

I am surprise that no one mentioned how different Anya and Dimitri are from the movie. When I saw Christy last week, she wasn't tomboyish and energetic (in character) at all.

Also, you guys think it'll get noms for Best Cherography or Lighting Design?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#123ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 8:10am

Another Winter said: "How the show must feel after that Times review ANASTASIA Reviews"

LOL! laugh

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

cb2addict2 Profile Photo
cb2addict2
#124ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/25/17 at 8:30am

VotePeron said: "Denee Benton will be getting a nomination for Best Actress, hands down. I'm still sticking to my gut that one, or both, War Paint ladies will be snubbed. Neither of them are giving Tony Award worthy performances, and shouldn't be nominated by name alone. It happened last year with Audra, it can happen again.

agreed

Videos