pixeltracker

Broadway's COME FROM AWAY on Apple TV - News & Discussion Thread- Page 5

Broadway's COME FROM AWAY on Apple TV - News & Discussion Thread

Fosse76
#100COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/21/21 at 10:26am

ghostlight2 said: "Well, sure, there are logistical reasons notto include standby actors onstage. Backstage, the wings, the green room, dressing rooms, all very small and tight."

None of that is relevant. There is no audience, so the show will be filmed scene by scene, negating any space requirements for additional cast. But it also doesn't stand to scrutiny. Come from Away has 18 total cast members...less than the full cast of A Chorus Line (29), Bonnie & Clyde (25), American Psycho (19), Taboo (23), Jekyll & Hyde (27), and Bridges of Madison County (19)...all of which played at The Schoenfeld.

Even though I imagine everyone has been in a bubble, they will still be masking and distancing offstage. There is no reason to have more people than usual onstage, where risk of transmission is greater as they sing full out. What would be the point?

If everyone has properly quarantined, or even vaccinated, the risk is minimal. And they are already in the theater. 

Just to give standbys/understudies stage time? That just seems very unlikely to me.

You've obviously never met these producers.

Also, since you mention it, artistically it is an issue as well, While there is little dancing in the show, the chair choreography is complicated and quite integral to the show. They've had a fairly short rehearsal period to relearn this. If someone screws up, it throws everything off. Whyrisk it, especially for a product filmed for posterity."

I never said they could be inserted into every scene. But unlike Hamilton, RENT, Legally Blonde, etc. This is not a recording of a live performance. so filming parameters won'thave the same obstacles. But if Newsies can add 5 additional newsboys, then rehearse, re-choreograph and film, in less than a week, then Come from Away's can easily insert athe swings.

ghostlight2
#101COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/21/21 at 11:40am

Why so vehement over a simple discussion, Fosse?

"There is no audience, so the show will be filmed scene by scene, negating any space requirements for additional cast."

You say that as a statement. Do you know it for a fact?

"You've obviously never met these producers."

It always amuses me when people make pronouncements like this with such certainty. You would be wrong in this case. I know the producers are wonderful, generous people. I just don't think they will complicate the filming by including the standbys. I would be thrilled to be wrong.

A friendly bet. A nickel says that there will be an audience, and no standbys in the film. As I've said, we will find out soon. Until then, enjoy the opening number from the TONYS.

Updated On: 4/21/21 at 11:40 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#102COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/27/21 at 4:44pm

Per the numerous signs outside the Schoenfeld, they are filming this week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Fosse76
#103COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/27/21 at 5:41pm

ghostlight2 said: "Why so vehement over a simple discussion, Fosse?

"There is no audience, so the show will be filmed scene by scene, negating any space requirements for additional cast."

You say that as a statement. Do you know it for a fact?

"You've obviously never met these producers."

It always amuses me when people make pronouncements like this with such certainty. You would be wrong in this case. I know the producersare wonderful, generous people. I just don't think they will complicate the filming by including the standbys. I would be thrilled to be wrong.

A friendly bet. Anickelsays that there will be an audience, and no standbys in the film. As I've said, we will find outsoon. Until then, enjoy the opening number from the TONYS.
"

No one on the house staff was called to work, so if there is an audience, they'd have to be employees. Ushers are considered part of the fire plan, and are required for an audience to be present.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#104COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/27/21 at 5:49pm

If they are going to include swings into this, the ONLY place I could see them being used would be in the bar sequence. It's the only scene that extra bodies up stage of the action mixed with the band would likely not mess with the blocking to much. But I could see them being utilized there. If they are going to be there for supporting vocals, might as well throw them a cameo. Again... all an IF situation.

Fosse76
#105COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/27/21 at 6:07pm

First, I never once said they would add the swings, I mere posited that they could, and it would be relatively easy to do. There are several scenes where they can be in the background, or even be given lines, since there are quite a few scenes where the spoken dialogue isn't from one of the two named characters each of the actors play...the rabbi for one can easily be played by one of the swings...the Tim Horton scene can have the swings, and even give them one or two of the lines (such as the barista). There are plenty of others. Not saying they would do this at all, but they could if they wanted to give them more than just singing background. They aren't running through a complete performance, so they aren't restricted too much by the show's blocking (transitionally speaking).

Again, I'm not saying they will do this (and never did). But they can, pretty easily. The cast didn't just go on and start filming...there have been rehearsals. They can very easily re-block certain scenes for the filming.

Updated On: 4/27/21 at 06:07 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#106COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/27/21 at 9:27pm

Weird people thinking this has like a whole new cast or swings. It is with the majority of the Broadway cast that was there before March 2020 plus Jenn. That is what has been reported this entire time. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#107COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/29/21 at 2:43pm

https://twitter.com/itsvalentinesv/status/1387494684633800704

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#108COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 1:15pm

Looks like AppleTV+ (Apple Original Films) bought the CFA pro-shot rights. Not sure if it’ll get a theatrical release, but will definitely make its way to their streaming service. 

BwayLB
#109COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 1:20pm

I’m not getting Apple TV just for this. I rather see the national tour when it comes to California next summer

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#110COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 1:35pm

Apple Picks Up eOne Feature Musical ‘Come From Away’

https://deadline.com/2021/04/apple-picks-up-eone-feature-musical-come-from-away-1234747587/

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#111COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 2:01pm

That's disappointing.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#112COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 2:08pm

BwayLB said: "I’m not getting Apple TV just for this. I rather see the national tour when it comes to California next summer"

You DO know you don’t need to get Apple TV to watch this.  Heck, I watched the filmed HAMILTON without having Disney Plus and I don’t have Netflix yet binge all their shows and series.  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#113COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 2:08pm

Why? Apple is only $5 a month and you can get a free week trial.

BwayLB
#114COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 2:23pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "BwayLB said: "I’m not getting Apple TV just for this. I rather see the national tour when it comes to California next summer"

You DO know you don’t need to get Apple TV to watch this. Heck, I watched the filmed HAMILTON without having Disney Plus and I don’t have Netflix yet binge all their shows and series.
"

There has to be another way

Fosse76
#115COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 2:27pm

I'm really surprised at this. Apple TV is a very niche market, and is at the bottom of the streaming performers. This show isn't going to attract any subscribers. So unless Apple decides to distribute it to movie theaters, I can't see many people seeing it.

Sutton Ross
#116COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 3:02pm

"There has to be another way"

Right, not be cheap and steal copyrighted properties. You can also just pay 5 dollars for that week to see it as well. 

Fosse76
#117COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 3:50pm

Sutton Ross said: ""There has to be another way"

Right, not be cheap and steal copyrighted properties. You can also just pay 5 dollars for that week to see it as well.
"

Aside from Broadway enthusiasts, I don't see this show moving the needle of Apple TV subscribers. This isn't Hamilton. They chose the wrong streaming service for this.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#118COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 3:53pm

We had a discussion here a while back about all streaming deals not being equal. This is an example of that lack of equality. I doubt Apple is spending much on this, and I would not be surprised at the end of the day that this will prove a net loss for the production. Yes, some here will sign up to watch it, but that's not the reason one goes to the trouble and expense.

Sutton Ross
#119COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 4:02pm

Apple TV has a lot of subscribers and is doing fine. They picked the right service for this and the upcoming SCHMIGADOON!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#120COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 4:11pm

Y’all make it seem like streaming services are like buying the hope diamond, its five dollars, or just get a free trial.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#121COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 4:20pm

Sutton Ross said: "Apple TV has a lot of subscribers and is doing fine. They picked the right service for this and the upcoming SCHMIGADOON!"

Picking the right service is easy when you only have one available choice. LOL

Tim Cook will be happy to hear AppleTV is doing fine. LOL

Sometimes it's best to just let some things stand as they are rather than impeaching one's own credibility.

Sutton Ross
#122COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 4:22pm

Sometimes it's best to just let some things stand as they are rather than impeaching one's own credibility.

Take your own advice, everyone here will be much happier. You have no idea the circumstances or any information about either of these two shows. So, just like last week with your sparing with 2 Indiana teenagers in their basements for hours at a time, slow your roll.

Updated On: 4/30/21 at 04:22 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#123COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 4:31pm

Sutton Ross said: "Haha. Whatever. They made a great choice, that's my opinion. Period."

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. My only quibble with it is how you might be defining "choice" but that's neither here nor there. Maybr let's revisit this on Mayday 2022, by which time we should know whether or not it was a great choice. 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#124COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release
Posted: 4/30/21 at 4:48pm

I recalled reading this article in Variety. It was posted 1/22/21

Apple TV Plus’ Freeloader Problem: 62% of Subscribers Are on Free Offers

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/apple-tv-plus-freeloader-problem-percent-free-1234890385/

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Videos