pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 5

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#100SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/1/23 at 10:04pm

FANtomFollies said: "No matter the style, I'm hoping for something large and at least slightly immersive. I find the Lunt Fontanne to be one of the ugliest theatres on Broadway so I'd love for it to be covered in scenery of some sort."

Totally agree - it's has the tackiest interior of all the houses- the exterior is majestic though. SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#101SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/1/23 at 10:05pm

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further castingRobbie2 said: "FANtomFollies said: "No matter the style, I'm hoping for something large and at least slightly immersive. I find the Lunt Fontanne to be one of the ugliest theatres on Broadway so I'd love for it to be covered in scenery of some sort."

Totally agree - it's has the tackiest interior of all the houses- the exterior is majestic though.SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

"

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#102SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/1/23 at 10:13pm

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further castingRobbie2 said: "SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further castingRobbie2 said: "FANtomFollies said: "No matter the style, I'm hoping for something large and at least slightly immersive. I find the Lunt Fontanne to be one of the ugliest theatres on Broadway so I'd love for it to be covered in scenery of some sort."

Totally agree - it's has the tackiest interior of all the houses- the exterior is majestic though.SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

"

"

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#103SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/1/23 at 10:30pm

Robbie2 said: "SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further castingRobbie2 said: "SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further castingRobbie2 said: "FANtomFollies said: "No matter the style, I'm hoping for something large and at least slightly immersive. I find the Lunt Fontanne to be one of the ugliest theatres on Broadway so I'd love for it to be covered in scenery of some sort."

"

"

"

Looking at this photo the rear mezzanine is terrible and so removed and distant from the stage at the L-F! Fyi for those considering buying seats there. 

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#104SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/2/23 at 7:48am

Yeah that was the first indication this might be a big production - that theatre is a barn

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#105SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/2/23 at 9:00am

The Lunt is such a long, deep theater that any seats in the rear orchestra or mezz aren't good seats. Definitely one of the worst Bway houses.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Hairspray0901
#106SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/2/23 at 6:21pm

ACL2006 said: "The Lunt is such a long, deep theater that any seats in the rear orchestra or mezz aren't good seats. Definitely one of the worst Bway houses."

I hate the Lunt for this reason and cannot get over the prices they're charging for the rear orch and rear mezz. One performance I looked at had Orchestra row U for $243... insane. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#107SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/2/23 at 7:30pm

I bit the bullet and paid 152.50 for Row E in the rear Mezz. I probably should have gotten a seat a few rows back as that railing in the rear Front Mezz is a bit high. I sat in Row C rear Mezz for Motown and I vaguely remember it being a bit distracting.

Just give the world Love.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#108SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/2/23 at 7:34pm

I hear they start rehearsals this week and a full cast announcement is going out

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#109SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/2/23 at 8:04pm

I paid like $160 for Row L, Right Orchestra Center. Granted, that was during the pre-sale so the tickets must've been more reasonably priced for that pre-sale. $243 for rear Mez? My god! I had tickets close to that value for Music Man, but that was mid-rear orchestra. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#110SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/2/23 at 8:41pm

Hairspray0901 said: "ACL2006 said: "One performance I looked at had Orchestra row U for $243... insane."

I have seats for front row Mezz and they were the same price! How does that makes sense?!? Not only is Row U far away but the top of the stage is cut off a bit from the overhang!

Hairspray0901
#111SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/2/23 at 11:02pm

FANtomFollies said: "Hairspray0901 said: "ACL2006 said: "One performance I looked at had Orchestra row U for $243... insane."

I have seats for front row Mezz and they were the same price! How does that makes sense?!? Not only is Row U far away but the top of the stage is cut off a bit from the overhang!
"

no idea. Wild. Attached a screen shot for reference. It’s for a preview performance, to boot! 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#112SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/2/23 at 11:22pm

Looking at this photo the rear mezzanine is terrible and so removed and distant from the stage at the L-F! Fyi for those considering buying seats there.

"

Wow, that is so horrible, what a giant rip off for anyone sitting back there. So removed and such bad sight lines. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#114SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 10:27am

Please let Timothy Hughes be a Sweeney u/s!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ElephantLoveMedley
#115SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 10:27am

Timothy Hughes!!!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#116SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 10:45am

I want to know which role will be played by Timothy Hughes!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

hearthemsing22
#117SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 10:56am

I'm considering getting a ticket for the show after their opening, but do leads tend to be out that day? I want to make sure I see everyone even though I absolutely support understudies and standbys (I have purposefully bought tickets for understudy shows). 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#118SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 10:58am

Timothy Hughes hive, rise!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#119SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 12:15pm

FANtomFollies said: "I saw on Patricia Phillips instagram that she has left Phantom and will be in Sweeney :)"

Darn. I saw her twice in November as Carlotta and loved her. I actually prefer Patricia to Raquel Suarez-Groen and was hoping she'd stick around. sad

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Phantour
#120SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 12:24pm

Lot666 said: "FANtomFollies said: "I saw on Patricia Phillips instagram that she has left Phantom and will be in Sweeney :)"

Darn. I saw her twice in November as Carlotta and loved her. I actually prefer Patricia to Raquel Suarez-Groen and was hoping she'd stick around.sad
"

I wish I saw Patricia Phillips as Carlotta before she left. Funny thing is all of Raquel's understudies are on for Carlotta this week - Janinah Burnett, Trista Moldovan, Janet Saia, and Satomi Hofmann. It looks like Stephen Tewsbury, also in the Phantom cast, will also be in the Sweeney ensemble. As of Tuesday, he hadn't left the show, but maybe this is his last week at the Majestic Theatre. 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#121SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 12:59pm

I imagine Paul-Jordan Jansen is understudying Sweeney, since he won a Jeff Award in Chicago for the role. Since Timothy Hughes was a Hades understudy, I imagine his agent would have negotiated for him to understudy Sweeney and/or The Judge as well, although does Josh Groban really need three understudies? If Nicholas Christopher is the "standby" (weird language since he is in the cast already), and has a bit of a fanbase because of Hamilton, he will be the one going on if Groban cannot and Jansen and Hughes would be second/third understudies. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#122SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 1:27pm

The wording for Nicholas Christopher is odd. Originally I thought he would be the standby for both Sweeney & Pirelli. But he's playing Pirelli AND the Sweeney standby. Don't think I've ever seen someone in the cast also be listed as a standby. Usually being a standby is completely separate.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#123SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 1:32pm

ACL2006 said: "The wording for Nicholas Christopher is odd. Originally I thought he would be the standby for both Sweeney & Pirelli. But he's playing Pirelli AND the Sweeney standby. Don't think I've ever seen someone in the cast also be listed as a standby. Usually being a standby is completely separate."

Definitely odd phrasing. He must have negotiated being the first cover whenever available and the production is choosing the term "standby" to make that clear. I've never heard of a "standby" being IN the production. Anyone else?

hearthemsing22
#124SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 1:38pm

Bill Snibson said: "ACL2006 said: "The wording for Nicholas Christopher is odd. Originally I thought he would be the standby for both Sweeney & Pirelli. But he's playing Pirelli AND the Sweeney standby. Don't think I've ever seen someone in the cast also be listed as a standby. Usually being a standby is completely separate."

Definitely odd phrasing. He must have negotiated being the first cover whenever available and the production is choosing the term "standby" to make that clear. I've never heard of a "standby" being IN the production. Anyone else?
"

That is very weird. For example with Wicked and Funny Girl, I've never heard of any standby being in the production. Maybe they're making an exception here? Hm. 

Videos