News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback- Page 5

NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#100NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/18/24 at 10:11pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "Why so surprised? There are more right-wing people in this townthan anyone realizes.Probably people you know, but they won’t admit it out loud, as the reaction they’d get wouldn’t be the tolerant and loving type that liberalsprofess to embody.

As for right-wing people enjoying theatre, who do you think keeps national tours thriving in red states?
"

I mean those pretty stark voting margins outside of Staten Island would certainly disagree. 

BorisTomashevsky
#101NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 12:30am

My point exactly. They’d be jumped on for being presumed to be racists and bigots, when they’re actually not, and all they want is a safe space to live and criminals to be held accountable rather than victims to be brushed aside. But even admitting that much is likely to get them screamed in the face by the tolerant left. 

The irony is there’s been more racism from the left lately than there has been from anyone on the right. Latin voters who are voting republican are being told “you aren’t meant to be supporting them”. Racism 101. 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#102NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 2:30am

And nothing gives them an easier time to exert those feelings via anonymity of voting and yet... they're not doing that! Crazy, but I'm sure you're really right!

stagepotato
#103NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 5:13am

JSquared2 said: "Melissa25 said: "I typically do not read The Post but there is much truth in the Strip of Despair article. What I felt was most compelling was the map. I took a screenshot of it so I can make sure to avoid certain streets in the future. I hope the producers of Gypsy start pressuring the mayor to help with cleanup. That scaffolding area at the NE corner of 44th/8th is also being used as a giant urinal.

LOL -- Right --- because as we all know, the homeless and drug addicted ALWAYS consult a map when deciding exactly which block to shoot up on or where to take a dump! Also, while the scaffolding on West 44th by the Majestic has come down, the 8th Avenue block between 44th/45th (at The Row) during the warm weather is a 24/7 block party taken up by the newly arrived "residents" of The Row.
"

The snarky response isn’t necessary. Yes, the homeless and drug addicts are scattered all over Manhattan but they’re more visible on 8th.  And we all know the migrants outside of The Row are also a problem. But the city hasn’t done anything to fix the issues they’re facing. It’s no longer a left vs right argument, it’s a who can best fix the city. If it’s a Republican, great. If it’s a Democrat, great. But don’t vote one party just to spite the other. Do the research and vote for who you think is best to clean up the city.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#104NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 6:05pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "My point exactly. They’d be jumped on for being presumed to be racists and bigots, when they’re actually not, and all they want is a safe space to live and criminals to be held accountable rather than victims to be brushed aside. But even admitting that much is likely to get them screamed in the face by the tolerant left.

The irony is there’s been more racism from the left lately than there has been from anyone on the right. Latin voters who are voting republican are being told “you aren’t meant to be supporting them”. Racism 101.
"

What a heaping load of lies. 

Consistency
#105NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 7:01pm

LOL. Rightists need to update their talking points more often. “So much for the tolerant left!!” and “liberals are the real racists!!” are soooo 2014 - and they haven’t grown less dumb with time.

Updated On: 6/19/24 at 07:01 PM

Matt Rogers
#106NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 7:45pm

Consistency said: "LOL. Rightists need to update their talking points more often. “So much for the tolerant left!!” and “liberals are the real racists!!” are soooo 2014 - and they haven’t grown less dumb with time."

They do exactly the same thing that their orange cult leader does. Anything they are, or do, they try to flip it. It doesn’t work. 

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#107NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 8:02pm

It’s been a long time since I posted, but this thread is just beyond.

Broadway’s challenges are nuanced and complex, and have to do with things like:

1. international tourism

2. the massive shift to work-from-home

3. politically motivated fearmongering about cities with Democratic mayors

4. Southern governors who think it’s funny to bus poor immigrants to the most expensive cities in the country, without the ability to work legally in those places

…and many other factors.

People who demonstrate compassion for those who have been discriminated against and mistreated are routinely ridiculed by the “religious”  (yep, quotes on purpose), who seem to have abandoned the teachings of ACTUAL JESUS bc they’d rather own the libs. Most of those Fox News people are cashing their paychecks a few blocks away from the alleged hellscapes they want people to fear and condemn. I shudder to think of how Jesus would be received in 2024 America.

For the sake of the reasonable universe - and yes, the live theatre - vote blue, please.

elphaba.scares.me
#108NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 8:13pm

Oh, and one more thing: Biden is a good president who broadly values the things I value, and I will not have to hold my nose to vote for that guy.

As for the rest of the NYC politicians, I’m an independent, so the elections are decided by the time I cast my ballot. But Adams is dreadful, and given a chance, I too would have gone for Maya Wiley.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#109NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 9:32pm

I didn’t realize what a disaster Broadway is.  I walked from the port authority to the Public a few weeks ago to see Sally & Tom. The guys selling fake Gucci on blankets are all up and down Broadway now. I thought that was only around the Winter Garden and canal street, but sure enough it’s everywhere.  I hate how it’s all been pedestrianized.  Theres tons of tables everywhere, it reminds me of a piazza in italia.  This isn’t fvcking Florence.  I then ran into the portal, inadvertently, with people waving at the Irish.  It’s a literal zoo.  Times Square has long been a zoo and its hitting Lincoln Center now too sadly

Broadway Flash
#110NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/19/24 at 9:41pm

I’m just reading the rest of the comments, I got banned for a month for making comments about a certain individual on the hadestown tour who proposed on closing night.  Yes the residents on 8th Ave have been a disaster for two years now.  They’ve got lawn chairs out there now and drinking corona. I could go on, but I’ll stop cause everytime I talk about this, people get all shook up in their boots.

BorisTomashevsky
#111NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 6:36am

Biden can’t string a sentence together. But being a nice guy is apparently enough these days. 

And that’s what’s got us into this mess. Kamikaze empathy. 

Matt Rogers
#112NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 6:45am

BorisTomashevsky said: "Biden can’t string a sentence together. But being a nice guy is apparently enough these days.

"

Oh look. More lies! 

elphaba.scares.me
#113NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 8:02am

BorisTomashevsky said: "Biden can’t string a sentence together. But being a nice guy is apparently enough these days.

"

That’s what one might think if they were only watching selectively edited videos, sure.

Go watch his speech at Normandy. Watch the whole thing. Bonus points if you learn some stuff!

WhoCouldBeBlue Profile Photo
WhoCouldBeBlue
#114NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 9:00am

Jordan Catalano said: "BroadwayPatriot said: "There are Trump supporters everywhere most of them are normal”

No, they’re not.

“It’s the Trump cultist with the MAGA stuff that are bizarre”

No, they all are because they value a fake billionaire/failed reality tv game show host/convicted felon/rapist over the lives and safety of people around them

“my mom likes Trump”

Maybe time to call A Place For Mom.

“so does several of my gay friends”

Now you know damn well that’s a lie.

“you would never know in a million years , I like RFK Jr because I’m a thinker not a party linesheep"

Oh, trust me it wouldn’t take a million years for me to figure out you liked him.

"

And you people support a President who can’t complete a sentence or find an exit off the stage.  Keep denying NYC is just fine.. and watch those ticket sales fall.

MemorableUserName
#115NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 9:36am

WhoCouldBeBlue said: "Jordan Catalano said: "BroadwayPatriot said: "There are Trump supporters everywhere most of them are normal”

No, they’re not.

“It’s the Trump cultist with the MAGA stuff that are bizarre”

No, they all are because they value a fake billionaire/failed reality tv game show host/convicted felon/rapist over the lives and safety of people around them

“my mom likes Trump”

Maybe time to call A Place For Mom.

“so does several of my gay friends”

Now you know damn well that’s a lie.

“you would never know in a million years , I like RFK Jr because I’m a thinker not a party linesheep"

Oh, trust me it wouldn’t take a million years for me to figure out you liked him.

"

And you people support a President who can’t complete a sentence or find an exit off the stage. Keep denying NYC is just fine.. and watch those ticket sales fall.
"

You mean Trump, who can't complete a sentence (or a coherent thought) or find his way anywhere without being led? 

It's hilariously pathetic how every complaint the right wing projects on Biden is something actually true about Trump.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#116NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 9:40am

I’m always baffled by the members here who go months or years without posting and almost never have contributed to any discussion of theatre or Broadway, but come out of the woodwork when there’s a political topic. And, coincidentally, they’re always the conservatives. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MemorableUserName
#117NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 9:45am

MezzA101 said: "Horror stories from NYC’s 8th Ave. ‘Strip of Despair’ — where stabbings, drug use and public defecation are the norm

https://nypost.com/2024/06/17/us-news/horror-stories-from-nycs-8th-ave-strip-of-despair?

My intent is not to scare people or to have posters report that it's only the Post and doesn't reflect reality. Rather, that there is enough truth to the perception andBroadway has to deal with a reduced interest from out of town because of the perception. I was amazed seeing how often "Sweeney Todd" had lots of tickets available often just days before every performance and yet still managed to sell out. It's not just the new post- Covid reality. All of us here care about Broadway and this perception is a major threat. Saying your experience is proof that the reality is different will not bring in the tourists.
"

I was trying not to feed this thread, but since it won't die, I'll just ask. What's the problem with this or what is it intended to prove?

I was amazed seeing how often "Sweeney Todd" had lots of tickets available often just days before every performance and yet still managed to sell out.

Post-pandemic, ticket buyers aren't buying in advance, which has nothing to do with purported crime. It has to do with restrictions and lack of refunds and people not wanting to plan in advance. If the show still sold out, what's the problem?

Similarly, last week, Inside Out 2 was being projected to open to $85 domestically and $135 globally based on advanced sales. When the actual numbers came out, it made $155 domestically due to walkups and day-of purchases. People simply aren't buying in advance as much.

MezzA101
#118NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 10:01am

MemorableUserName said: "MezzA101 said: "Horror stories from NYC’s 8th Ave. ‘Strip of Despair’ — where stabbings, drug use and public defecation are the norm

https://nypost.com/2024/06/17/us-news/horror-stories-from-nycs-8th-ave-strip-of-despair?

My intent is not to scare people or to have posters report that it's only the Post and doesn't reflect reality. Rather, that there is enough truth to the perception andBroadway has to deal with a reduced interest from out of town because of the perception. I was amazed seeing how often "Sweeney Todd" had lots of tickets available often just days before every performance and yet still managed to sell out. It's not just the new post- Covid reality. All of us here care about Broadway and this perception is a major threat. Saying your experience is proof that the reality is different will not bring in the tourists.
"

I was trying not to feed this thread, but since it won't die, I'll just ask. What's the problem with this or what is it intended to prove?

I was amazed seeing how often "Sweeney Todd" had lots of tickets available often just days before every performance and yet still managed to sell out.

Post-pandemic, ticket buyers aren't buying in advance, which has nothing to do with purported crime. It has to do with restrictions and lack of refunds and people not wanting to plan in advance. If the show still sold out, what's the problem?

Similarly, last week, Inside Out 2 was being projected to open to $85 domestically and $135 globally based on advanced sales. When the actual numbers came out, it made $155 domestically due to walkupsand day-of purchases. People simply aren't buying in advance as much.
"

Walk-ups are done by people locally, be it theater or film. Producers obviously prefer lots of advance sales. Posters are looking at availability in the weeks ahead, predicting if shows will close. I'm just looking at articles that out-of-towners read before making vacation travel decisions.

I believe NYC includes migrants as "tourists" when announcing that tourism is up.

SeanD2
#119NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 10:47am

Kad said: "I’m always baffled by the members here who go months or years without posting and almost never have contributed to any discussion of theatre or Broadway, but come out of the woodwork when there’s a political topic. And, coincidentally, they’re always the conservatives."

My guess is that they may be people with multiple accounts who don't want their political opinions to impact how people respond to their comments on non-political discussions. 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#120NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 11:12am

Broadway Flash said: "They’ve got lawn chairs out there now and drinking corona."

How will we ever survive this plague of seated beer-drinkers?

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#121NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 11:24am

Broadway Flash said: "I’m just reading the rest of the comments, I got banned for a month for making comments about a certain individual on the hadestown tour who proposed on closing night. Yes the residents on 8th Avehave been a disaster for two years now. They’ve got lawn chairs out there now and drinking corona. I could go on, but I’ll stop cause everytime I talk about this, people get all shook up in their boots."

Lawn Chairs and Corona sign me up.

It's not just this post. "people get all shook up in their boots" pretty much is anything you post.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 6/20/24 at 11:24 AM

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#122NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 11:27am

"

Complete nonsense and lies. Listen, I wish we had a Democratic nominee that was under 80. But the person who can't string a coherent sentence together is Trump. He is clearly mentally unfit for office.

This is why Trump is already trying to lower expectations for the debate. He knows Biden is going to make him look like the stupid fool he is. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#123NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 11:35am

Wild to me that people are sticking with the “Biden is barely coherent, basically a vegetable, essentially a corpse” thing when every single time they’ve trotted it out before a debate or State of the Union or major address, Biden has been… totally fine. And they then claim he’s on some incredible super drug that somehow makes him a functioning human again. Perhaps- perhaps- he’s just a normal 80 year old man with all the regular cognitive decline that often goes along with it. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Broadway Flash
#124NYP: Broadway sings New York’s blues as crime, costs slow post-COVID comeback
Posted: 6/20/24 at 11:45am

On 8th avenue?  With kids running around?  Them blasting salsa music?  And having a weed party. This is totally fine with you?

Videos