pixeltracker

Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History- Page 5

Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#100re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 8:35pm

Was Marissa Winokur winning the Tony that big of an upset? I thought it was obvious Marissa would win, even though I was partial to Bernadette's Momma Rose in Gypsy. Updated On: 7/6/04 at 08:35 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#101re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 8:38pm

It was "obvious" because of the producers relentless shilling and the fact that everyone decided to give everything to Hairspray. But it was an upset because Bernadette deserved it - by a kajillion miles.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#102re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:12pm

i think "the producers" is fantastic and that they deserved a lot of praise- in another year they may have not won as many awards, but when people say "i don't think they deserved all those tonys" it reeks of the typical backlash that follows all hit shows. its obvious, redundant and irritating. when shows close early, people mourn the loss of a what should have been a hit (which, because it is positive, isnt anywhere near as annoying) and when shows become smashes, people love to try to tear them down. get over it.

Missy37
#103re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:15pm

Contact shouldn't have won best musical
Passion also, but I think the category was a little weak that year.

MargoChanning
#104re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:24pm

Patty Duke was indeed snubbed altogether that year for "Miracle Worker" -- no nomination in either the lead or featured category. Certainly one of the most outrageous omissions in Tony history (she did later get the Oscar for best supporting actress).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#105re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:29pm

I haven't read through this thread, so sorry if this has been said before, but I never understood Cady Huffman winning for The Producers.

MargoChanning
#106re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:40pm

I agree. While Cady was very good as Ulla, there's no way she deserved to win the award over Kathleen Freeman from "The Full Monty" or Polly Bergen in "Follies." Hoffman definitely benefited from the momentum of "The Producers" sweep.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Becky
#107re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:52pm

A few of my personal picks...

Bill Pullman not being nominated for "The Goat"

Aida not being nominated for 'Best Musical' when they win Best Score, Lead Actress, Scenic Design, and Lighting Design (in a year where Contact wins??)

Carolee Carmello not winning for "Parade"

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#108re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:53pm

I wish there was a category for best replacement. I'd give it right to Carolee for "Urinetown."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#109re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:56pm

Wow - I somehow had thought that Patty Duke was nominated. That's truly unbelievable!!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#110re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 9:56pm

I also thought that Andre DeSheilds should have won for "The Full Monty" as well as Kathleen Freeman.

I'm not backlashing against THE PRODUCERS. I really do love the show and thought it should have won A LOT of AWARDS. Just not ALL of them.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#111re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 10:05pm

SHESINGS-
You said Bernadette missed "a ton of performance." Do you know how many she missed when she was ill in April/May of 2003? 8. Yes 8. I stopped counting when Kristin was up to 35 missed in April and Donna is well over that.
people like you make so angry, so accustory for no reason. Updated On: 7/6/04 at 10:05 PM

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#112re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 10:16pm

I also forgot:

PURLIE losing the 1969-70 "Best Musical" Tony to APPLAUSE. Another example of politics. PURLIE was written and composed by a couple of unknowns, starred mostly unknowns at the time and had independent producers. APPLAUSE was written by the BYE BYE BIRDIE team and had Lauren Bacall starring in it. PURLIE didn't stand a chance.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

starlyricist Profile Photo
starlyricist
#113re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 10:24pm

i will definitely have to say Parade. *sigh* I mean, Fosse? Ew.

There are some people in the world who say that writing stories, or composing music or dancing sparkly dances is easy for them. Nothing interferes with their ability to create. While I celebrate their creative freedom, a little part of me just wants to punch those motherf*ckers in the teeth...[tos]

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#114re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 10:29pm

Recently:
Bernadette Peters not winning for gypsy
Caroline, or Change not winning for Best Score

I am not familiar with the competition for these, so I can't say they were "mistakes," but I am surprised that they didn't win...if that makes sense:

West Side Story not winning Best Musical.
Gypsy not winning Best Musical
Idina Menzel not winning for Rent

starlyricist Profile Photo
starlyricist
#115re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 10:35pm

i too, think Idina was robbed in 1996, tho she was up against some pretty mean competition, including Veanne Cox (Caroline, or Change) for Company, but lost to Ann Duquenasy for Bring in Da Noise, Bring in Da Funk. bleh.

There are some people in the world who say that writing stories, or composing music or dancing sparkly dances is easy for them. Nothing interferes with their ability to create. While I celebrate their creative freedom, a little part of me just wants to punch those motherf*ckers in the teeth...[tos]

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#116re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 10:37pm

nystateomind - i was referring the the producers OF Hairspray. Not the show. Actual, real people.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#117re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 11:17pm

Becky I forgot Bill Pullman being snubbed for a nomination. I thought he was deserving of recognition for his exceptionally believable performance. I absolutely loved that show.

BWayBoy88
#118re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 11:23pm

West Side Story definintely should of won Best Musical over Music Man.
Ann Harada should of WON the Tony. What were they thinking not even nominating her?
As much as I love Ave Q I dont think it should of won Best Score. I think that either Wicked or Caroline deserved it more.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#119re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 11:24pm

Biggest Mistake in TONY HISTORY?
How many more Wicked threads about this will i have to bash?
I am glad Avenue Q squashed Wicked.
It proved to me that there is justice in the world.
And if you don't agree well IT SUCKS TO BE YOU.
Stew in that for a year!
Oh and I loved Wicked kiddies but Marx and Lopez deserved the award.
I love Avenue Q and for some reason I always pick the winner.
Every year. I have a sixth sense. I picked the Producers, Millie, Hairspray and Avenue Q. I must be doing something right.
re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
My regret and wish was that Stephanie and John Tags would have been in supporting categories and thus would have won a Tony Award. I also wish that CAROLINE OR CHANGE would have tied with Q for Best Musical. Both were little shows that could and should have won.
Wicked will run for years and tour the world and do very well. So don't worry kiddies you will see it 2 million times before I become very POPULAR. Updated On: 7/6/04 at 11:24 PM

BWayBoy88
#120re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 12:24am

As much as I love Stephanie, I dont think she would of had a chance against Anika Noni Rose. She gave one of the best performances I've seen since Sutton Foster in Millie.

Gypsy2 Profile Photo
Gypsy2
#121re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 1:14am

Bernadette Peters not getting the Tony for Mama Rose. It's been said before, but it's a huge mistake so it can be said again.

You know it and you want it... you just can't believe you've got it.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#122re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 1:18am

I skipped to the end of the thread, so this may have been mentioned.

Elaine Stritch not winning the TONY for playing Joanne in 'Company'

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#123re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 1:30am

The biggest mistake was not nominating me for a Tony for my peformance as Gremio in my college's production of TAMING OF THE SHREW. I was great. Where was the Tony committee then? I was great. LOL

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#124re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 9:31am

Priest, who won that year?

Videos