pixeltracker

My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)- Page 5

My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#100re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 1:27am

Whoa.

Are people really thinking "Xanadu" is going to be WINNING any sort of awards?

Why SHOULDN'T we think that, huh!? In reality, Beane will probably get a nomination for 'Best Book', while the actors and actresses involved deserve noms of their own (IMHO) - More specifically, Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman (I wish they could be billed together - a la, Ripley and Skinner in SIDE SHOW). I had high hopes for the lovely Kerry and hunky Cheyenne, but with the the Leading categories being too damn heavy to handle this season, now I'm not too sure. XANADU, as a whole, MOST DEFINITELY deserves a 'Best Musical' nomination - It opened in JULY (that'll be over 10 months once the noms come out), and it's been garnering a super-support system (and that's PUBLIC knowledge, not just The Du Crew spreading the love either). I'm just sayin' ... LITTLE SHOWS THAT COULD *DO* HAPPEN, my friend.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#101re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 1:46am

I really hope Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman can get a joint nomination. I don't think they'll win [I'm pulling for Laura Benanti right now], but they were both amazing and deserve at least the nomination.

as for Xanadu on the whole, it'll definitely get nominated, but I'm not sure it'll win [I haven't seen all the shows, so I can't really say]. I'd love for it to win something; it's such a smart, fun show.

for Lead Actress, it'll definitely be Patti. and, if for some reason, Patti doesn't win, I think Jenna Russell will get it. but Kelli O'Hara really just doesn't do it for me. I think her voice is incredibly gorgeous, but she's lacking something in her acting.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#102re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 2:53am

With my comments, I didn't mean to denigrate the fun 90 minutes of theatre 'Xanadu' is; I enjoyed the show. I just think it's absurd to consider it an awards contender.

I'm not opposed to the idea of "lighter" shows taking awards, and supporting the little shows that could-- I'm one who thinks "Spelling Bee" should've taken Best Musical over "Spamalot" and "Dirty Rotten"-- but "Xandadu," to me at least, is a fun little fluff of a show that leaves the mind as soon as it entered it, and isn't hugely funny or enoyable enough to really merit substantial praise.

I laughed and I enjoyed myself, but not to such a great extent that I think it really deserves to be remembered a few years from now. Don't get me wrong, I would recommend it to fellow theatre fiends to can take advantage of student rush or have access to significant discounts (e.g.: TDF); but I would feel a little guilty telling someone to spend a hundred dollars on it.

That said, yes, Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman were hella-fun to watch, and I wouldn't be upset to see them get nominations.

I'm not saying people who disagree are wrong, I just wanted to propery articulate my opinion, and make it clear I wasn't "bashing" the show.

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#103re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:54am

I think "Xanadu" most definitely SHOULD be nominated for Best Musical. I've never enjoyed myself in the theater in all of my 35 years of attending Broadway shows.... and I've seen hundreds of them.

It should also get nominations for Cheyenne Jackson, Kerry Butler, Mary Testa, Jackie Hoffman, Tony Roberts and especially Douglas Carter Beane for his brilliantly funny book re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)
Updated On: 3/14/08 at 10:54 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#104re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:34am

BEST NEW MUSICAL NOMINEES:
Cry-Baby
Xanadu
Young Frankenstein
In The Heights

I've seen Xanadu and plan on seeing the other three all in May sometime so I won't cast my vote as to who should win.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#105re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:02pm

Xanadu richly deserves "Best Book". My vote for Best Featured Actor is Chester Gregory and Best Featured Actress is Alli Mauzey. They both steal the show in CRY-BABY.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#106re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/15/08 at 11:26pm

I just returned from South Pacific. Paulo Szot is a bonafide leading man. Give him the Tony.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 3/15/08 at 11:26 PM

BroadwayBaby6
#107re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 1:51am

The Tony race is going to be extremely competitive this year. Other than Patti Lupone winning best actress and SUNDAY winning best revival, I think the categories are wide open.

I don't think, however, that Passing Strange or In The Heights will win next musical. I think there will be a backlash this year against avant-garde shows and as a result, Cry Baby or Xanadu could win best musical.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#108re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:01am

I think there will be a backlash this year against avant-garde shows

Why?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BroadwayBaby6
#109re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:10am

Why do I think there will be a backlash against "avant-garde" shows? Because the majority of Broadway ticket buyers are tourists and "bridge and tunnel folks". The average age of Broadway ticket buyers hovers around 60. As open minded as many of those older theatregoers are, they still prefer to see old fashioned shows such as "DROWSY" and "CURTAINS". Yes, young people love shows like Spring Awakening and In the Heights, but young people can't usually afford $120 tickets. I think the economics of Broadway stil depend on the bluehairs.

fiyerowhereareyou2 Profile Photo
fiyerowhereareyou2
#110re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/16/08 at 2:16am

I think that the Little Mermaid should get some nominations...what about Sierra Boggess...she is amazing!!!

I haven't seen "In the Heights" but I hope the kid from the movie CAMP gets a nomination...I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!
MY VLOG

spell7107 Profile Photo
spell7107
#111re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:25pm

Best Sound Design: In the Heights
Best Orchestrations: In the Heights
Best Lighting Design: Sunday in the Park with George
Best Costume Design: Sunday in the Park with George
Best Scenic Design: Sunday in the Park with George

Best Direction: Thomas Kail, In the Heights
Best Choreography: Andy Blankenbuehler, In the Heights
Best Score: Lin-Manuel Miranda, In the Heights
Best Book: Douglas Carter-Beane, Xanadu

Best Leading Actor: Lin-Manuel Miranda, In the Heights
Best Leading Actress: Patti LuPone, Gypsy
Best Featured Actor: Robin deJesus, In the Heights
Best Featured Actress: Lsura Benanti, Gypsy

Best Revival of a Musical: Sunday in the Park with George
Best Musical: In the Heights

I know I am going to get eaten alive by the people of this message board, but In the Heights is that damn good!!!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#112re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:36pm

I'm gonna assume Yankeefan is going to pull his possible Cry-Baby Best Musical Win.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#113re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:38pm

So nobody think Sherie could get Nominated and take it?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Trish2
#114re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:42pm

I HIGHLY doubt Thomas Kail will get a nomination for Best Director. Too many heavy weights this year, plus it was the choreographer who pulled that show off visually. There's your TONY nom and most likely winner.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#115re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:34am

I believe Sherie will be nominated, but I still say the tony is going to Ms. Benanti.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

jrb
#116re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:11am

Some folks are listing SunPark as winning both sets and lighting - I just can't see it winning both.
If the projections win as lighting, then the sets alone were just white walls. If the projections win as sets, then there's really wasn't much "lighting" at all. I don't understand how it could win both.
Any thoughts?

The lighting in Young Frank and South Pac is really good. I think one of those two will nab it should the projections fall under sets.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#117re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:26am

Don't count out South Pacific for revival.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#118re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:38am

I think its safe to say Cry Baby wont be nominated if its as bad as everyone is saying

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#119re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:46am

(let me re-post this again)

"Don't count your chickens until they're hatched"

re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

J*

jrb
#120re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:28am

I am actually hoping that South Pacific lands best revival. I thought it was stronger than Sunday, overall. It also has the historical weight of being the first revival.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#121re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:14pm

I think In the heightss or Young Frank for set design (or maybe YF is more a light design winner since a lot of things that made the set good were technical attributes) But the ITH set is just incredible. Then again I haven't seen the SP set so I guess I can't compare.

If Lin doesn't win best actor I will be shocked.
Does anyone think Andrea Burns for best f. actress?

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#122re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 2:33pm

Would love Burns to win, but would just hope for a nom at this point. Merediz should definitely (and will) get nominated, and
Lin should win, without a doubt !!!

Watched Roma Torre's "ITH" review the other night during "On Stage" - she said that if you left "ITH" right after the opening number, you would have gotten your money's worth !!!

Right now, I think "ITH" wins Best Musical.

legally_brunette
#123re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 4:48pm

personally, i think Young Frankenstein's going to get SOME technical Tony.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#124re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 5:02pm

SUNDAY does indeed have lighting other than the projections. FOr example:

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Videos